PDA

View Full Version : Old topics being re-posted...

Nameless For Now
06-22-2006, 08:01 AM
I haven't been a member for a long time but I have found certain topics keep being brought up by new members.

So what? I say.

There are many nervous and very self conscious 1st / early posters who may come across this site while seeking help or advice.

If someone is posting an old question, just ignore it, don't put them down for not being as CD / forum aware as you are...

I'd say let's save the negativity for the real world. If you are bored of the question, ignore it, rather than reply dismissively. Being dismissive seems to be a forum disease...0.02

People have new thoughts they may like to add...

If you have nothing to add, ignore it.

:hugs:

Edit: My main intended point was...Let's not be negative towards other, perhaps newer members...

Teresa Amina
06-22-2006, 08:15 AM
Not surprising really that there would be a lot of re-asking of old questions- there are a tremendous number of new people coming in here all the time. And the questions and topics I've seen over and over can bring new responses from different perspectives that haven't been expressed before. Many times I find that my own perspective has changed on things as I come to a deeper understanding of myself. But I really love the "Magical Change" threads- Ooooh! They just bring back all those childhood fantasies so well!

Tamara Croft
06-22-2006, 08:16 AM
I have to agree with the old questions, however, I don't agree with them being ignored. Most of the old threads are locked up and new members like to get fresh answers from other new members. I think I have a fair idea why you started this thread ;)

I do however have a problem with members posting in threads that have been discussed many times stating that fact. If you have nothing to contribute to the thread other than a 'how many times do we have to have these threads', then stay out of them, or the posts will simply be off topic and deleted.

What many do not seem to realise is, we get 80+ members per day joining, they are excited, they just want to post and start making friends. So if they make topics that have been previously discussed, but now locked up, what is wrong with that? However, when a thread is still running, like the 'what are you wearing' keeps being posted, they get merged with the current one that is running.

JoAnnDallas
06-22-2006, 09:19 AM
One thing that people forget is that a new member on average will not sit there and read or scan each and every post that is on the forum. If you look at the number of posts just in one day and then add that to all the posts from previous days, it can total up in the hundreds. Do you really think a newbie will sit and read/scan hundreds of posts for the answer she needs. Nope, she is going to post the question, regardless if the question was asked just three days ago by another newbie member. Also they may not even be aware that there are other forums on this site other than this one. I bet if a new member asked a question about makeup and another member suggested that she look in the Beauty Forum, I bet the new member did not even know that it existed.
IMHO, I don't mind at all if a new member ask questions that have come up before. Each and everyone of us were new at one time and I bet a lot of the questions we asked were OLD QUESTIONS. LOL
When I see a new post and another says "Here we are beating this dead horse again", I have to smile, because, yes mabey there was a thread in the last two weeks that covered this newbie question, but you have to remember the newbie may very well not been a member at the time the older posting was done.
As far as newbies, I think Emily Ann's suggestion that a older member kinda take a newbie under her wing and help her out, get her started, tell her about the other forums here and ect. A occasional PM to just say hello so a personal touch.

Byllie
06-22-2006, 09:25 AM
Rather than view the forum as a FAQ resource, wee should see it as a "clubhouse" where people are constantly coming and going, new folks arriving all the time. Given these dynamics, conversations will be re-created often. But, each time they are, it's a chance for the "older" members to re-think their opinions, and therefore learn more about themselves and the topic.

Teachers go through this all the time, teaching the same topics year in and year out. The way to stay fresh is to see each new class as a new opportunity for personal growth.

Karren H
06-22-2006, 09:44 AM
I totally ageree!! And I've been here almost a year and It doesn't bother me one bit to see the same question come up again and again and again. Hehehe This is the best site to find answers to the. questions we have all asked at one point or another!! So if you don't want to help someone out in need, then sit on your hands for a change and hush up!!

Good thread!!

Love Karren

Kimberley
06-22-2006, 09:44 AM
I come here to help so I will answer threads that really have something to contribute. If it is one of those "Should I match my bra and panties?" then I just move on. (Tamara is likely to delete it anyway...LOL)

No, seriously if someone is looking for help or information then I will definitely contribute. I dont answer threads just to rack up the post count (a lot of people do). I answer if I have something to contribute to the thread specifically, and the forums at large. I always try to make sure I have my opinions backed up with fact; at least wherever possible. If I cant immediately do that then I make sure it is known that the response is an opinion.

Kimberley.

Kieron Andrew
06-22-2006, 09:47 AM
to be honest view points change girls and boys come and go, it doesnt bother me in the slightest that threads get repeated...........i think that is good cos the same question may get different response from different ppl that may not have seen the thread the first or second time around

Win Der Mere
06-22-2006, 10:14 AM
It is actually quite easy to miss a thread that really interests you, even if you log on several times a day. For example if one comes on midday, doesn't immediately get a lot of response, and disappears off the "new posts" by say early evening, then the technique of scanning "new posts" for an interesting read, fails completely.
I'm not sure how one can pick up , say, all posts in the last 12 hours ?

Win. ( again losing a few ! )

Sharon
06-22-2006, 10:27 AM
If a question is posed and there is also another active thread (or within a few days active, anyway) it makes sense to make the new poster aware of it, otherwise, they may take the fact that they aren't getting many replies personally. I know that if I replied to a question three days ago, I am unlikely to answer the same question again today.

This is also why those bloody mods will occasionally merge threads.:happy:

dancinginthedark
06-22-2006, 12:30 PM
I haven't been a member for a long time but I have found certain topics keep being brought up by new members. So what? I say. There are many nervous and very self conscious 1st / early posters who may come across this site while seeking help or advice. If someone is posting an old question, just ignore it, don't put them down for not being as CD / forum aware as you are...
I'd say let's save the negativity for the real world.
:hugs:
Edit: My main intended point was...Let's not be negative towards other, perhaps newer members...

Well nameless a lot of us would be screwed erm...lost if our older members ignored newbies or got an attitude because of the same questions being asked. I know my first post was full of oft asked questions. I mean how many of the ladies had answered my same questions countless times but still took the time and energy to inform &/or comfort me when I was so new to all of this. (hugs to all of you again btw) I agree we need to :cp: sometimes cuz we forget that newbies need love and patience too. :D And ya know that, "Oh jeez we are :dh: ," attitude could in part account for the lack of responses (no more posts) we see so much with our newer members. Maybe we scare them off or hurt them with one flippant remark to many. Thanks for the gentle reminder kiddo.

janedoe311
06-22-2006, 04:13 PM
If you noticed topics brought up a few days ago are many pages away. Most people do not have the patience to wade through them. I see it as good because some threads can get off track. Read them all then post in the one that is still active. After a few day no one posts in them.

VeronicaMoonlit
06-22-2006, 05:50 PM
Interesting.

I'm surprised no ones mentioned this site's search function. It may not be perfect but it's there. Sure, a new person might not want to wade through a bunch of posts, but they can use the search function to find what they want

Where did that attitude of mine come from? USENET, where if you're a newbie and don't do your homework and start dead horse threads you'll get your rear end handed to you..... roasted. On USENET, they often have FAQ's where Frrequently Asked Questions are covered.

So when I first showed up, I actually did read back a ways in the older posts, and I lurked for a while before I ever posted, because that's what I was taught to do. I was taught that anything else was bad newbie behavior.

However this isn't USENET. How about making some of the dead horse topics that get repeated many times, sticky.

Like a sticky Stockings vs pantyhose/tights thread with a continuously running poll where people can keep track of which is ahead day by day as new people answer.

You could have a Sticky "Does CDing make me gay" thread. A sticky "Does your SO know thread", a sticky "what's your favorite panty color/fabric" Lots n' lots of stickies.

Another option might be ot restrict a new member from starting new threads until they've posted a bit in other threads. Give them some time to grow accustomed.

And yes I do get snarkily annoyed at those who "do not do their homework" or use Google or this site's engine to quickly and easily answer their questions (its a sort of sweat equity thing) , I'll try to watch for that attitude of mine in the future and keep it held back since I am the one being whinged/whined about. :-)

Veronica
Rondelle (Ron) Rogers Jr.
"Woah... I know Google-fu"

Tamara Croft
06-22-2006, 06:01 PM
Veronica, I can see your point, but let's remember, not everyone is internet/forum savvy and have no idea how vb works. Yes there are many functions on this forum members can use, but not everyone knows what these things do. Joining a huge forum is scary enough, joining a CD forum is even more scary. So what if we have numerous posts that are the same? does it matter? is it really hurting anyone? Making numerous posts stickies is not really an option, there are so many different topics covered, it would be impossible to make everything a sticky.

If posts nark you, move on to the next one, you can do that. But put yourself in the staffs shoes for 5 minutes, we have to read everything posted on this forum, but you don't see us complaining about it and I don't think anyone else on this forum has any right to say what can or can not be posted here. Like Nameless For Now has said, we shouldn't be so negative to new members, we are here to guide, help and show support. By doing this in their new threads, even if they are something we have read a 100 times, posting in them shows we care and want to make them welcome. Is that really too much to ask?

Sandygal
06-22-2006, 06:34 PM
Old topics are great. There are so many girls signing up everyday, that means many new answers for old topics. Also I think many of us like to see our names on threads and topics, it makes us feel alive. Its the only place we can be refered to by our fem names. I think it gives us an identity.
I am Sandy ,I am Sandy, I am for real!

Carroll
06-22-2006, 07:28 PM
I used the search engine when I first signed up and found a lot of the threads that matched my keyword were locked. Still well worth the read.
Its not a bad idea to search first, if you have the time and the know how.

Carroll

VeronicaMoonlit
06-22-2006, 07:45 PM
Veronica, I can see your point,

Thanks

but let's remember, not everyone is internet/forum savvy and have no idea how vb works. Yes there are many functions on this forum members can use, but not everyone knows what these things do.

Yeah, I have problems "getting" the fact that most people don't "play" with features and technology like I do.

So what if we have numerous posts that are the same? does it matter? is it really hurting anyone?

It really isn't hurting anyone. The USENET traditions that I picked up were based on a time when every kilobyte matered and when reducing bandidth use at all costs by reducing repetition was a good thing. That's not the case so much these days.

Making numerous posts stickies is not really an option, there are so many different topics covered, it would be impossible to make everything a sticky.

It was just a suggestion, even making the 5 most commonly repeated threads sticky would be nice. And interesting too, seeing the responses over time. It it's not workable, it's not workable.

By doing this in their new threads, even if they are something we have read a 100 times, posting in them shows we care and want to make them welcome. Is that really too much to ask?

it isn't too much to ask, but I came from a net tradition where certain expectations were made and it was believed that it wasn't too much to ask that new folk do a little "sweat equity" So it's hard for me to forget my old "habits" as it were.

But yes, you're right on the "be nice to new folk", so I'll try not to mess up. :-)

Veronica
Rondelle (Ron) Rogers Jr.
I am the very model of a USENET personality.....

danielle_from_cal
06-22-2006, 08:01 PM
All the topics and issues related to crossdressing are going to be repeated many times. It would be a shame if members had to fear retribution or scorn because they asked a question that has been asked before. I thing the nicest things to do if you see a question that has recently been addressed is to either respond to it again, or send them the link to the previous posting.

This is a warm, loving site. No question is wrong.

Khriss
06-22-2006, 09:43 PM
...as a "dumb" question !? (short of "trolling !!)
I've seen tolerance here..recieved degrees of "tolerance" here, and am learning by example,, how to be more tolerant ...(and the sickening lack of !?)
..people SOOO adept at internet intricasies or forum structure should likely be savy enough to avoid the "trolling" or topics they find so inane ,mundane, or repetitive ? - eh? "K"
kinda a George Carlin-izm ... if you dont like the program.. change the freakin ! Channel !!!