PDA

View Full Version : Are delapitory creams safe?

Emma England
06-23-2006, 09:14 AM
My rechargable mens shaver is dying I think.

So have bought some magic from Ebay (which is a delapitory cream).
Came up sore on my face, but good on my legs.

Recently tried the cheaper delapitory cream called Nair from Boots.
Excellent on my legs, but still have a burning sensation on my face.

The idea behind delapitory creams is that they dissolve the hair.
But does this also mean that part of your skin is being burned too? :eek:
Safe or not? What are the long-term effects?

Would it be easier to use a razor blade instead?
As a teenager, I quite often cut myself from a new blade (which is why I bought the rechargable shaver in the first place!). Unfortunately a shaver is not that close :(

Maybe I could use a new razor blade on my legs first (they are not as sensitive), then use the same blade on my face the next day.

I HATE SHAVING, and am worried about my skin. Please help!!

What do you use that has no discomfort, yet still be silky smooth? +?

Georgia_63
06-23-2006, 09:46 AM
Emma,
The creams are ok if used correctly. The normal Nair types are normaly ment for the body areas (legs, arms bikini line etc) but you can get ones formulated especialy for the face. A blade will always give you a cleaner result than any electric.
For legs I use an epilator... basicaly a set of mechanical tweezers the will rip the hair out of you... sounds nasty but it isnt to bad, certainly no worse than waxing and gives the same results.

Marla S
06-23-2006, 09:57 AM
As a wet razor try those with vibrating heads (Gilette fusion ???). Since I use it for my facial hair I've never had a cut, though I am a bit cut prone too. (For the rest of the body I use an epilator)

Sandra
06-23-2006, 10:07 AM
Nair do a cream which is for sensitive skin, I have used this on my top lip with no problems, yes GGs do have facial hair problems, but everyone is different, and remember always do a test patch first.

Karren H
06-23-2006, 11:18 AM
Creames don't work on my legs or face for some reason and always irratate my skin. As to the longterm effects I'd say it can't be healthy!

Someone needs to do a study. Crossdressing mice, half with shaved legs and half using creames!! Hehehe Emily can sew so we'll get her to make cute little dresses for them!! LOL. Is it Friday yet??

Love Karren

Emma England
06-23-2006, 11:34 AM
Nair do a cream which is for sensitive skin, I have used this on my top lip with no problems, yes GGs do have facial hair problems, but everyone is different, and remember always do a test patch first.

Yes, I am using the cream designed for sensitive skin suitable for legs, bikini area, underarms, and face. But still have soreness.

No to epilators - they are really nasty!

Trissia
06-23-2006, 12:51 PM
if i could find a manufacturer for the epilator i have invented, sure you would buy me one immediately ah ah ah....i also use it to remove my beard, so guess it is not so nasty....well! i am in france , and in that country nothing is possible..so let's forget that!!!...

i want to add that creams are the same product we use to make hairwaves...but much more powerful (i have been a hairdresser)...so if you want to use it, be sure you did not had a shower before...sebum on the flesh protects from burning...and on the face in my opinion it is great risk...and probably unefficient as the roots of hair remain under the skin...
i reflected about it for a long time, and the only way to have a smooth skin is depilate it...it take at least one week to reappear and even then it grows weaker and finner...and sometimes it stops growing forever...
and i remarked that without body-hair, my skin is less irritable than before ...i suppose that hair is a highway for bacterias or viruses...
i am 100% for hair-removers...at least it works fine for me.

TammyB
06-24-2006, 04:01 PM
Male facial hair is more deeply rooted than body hair. So its harder for the cream to dissolve the root (if thats how they work, I really have no idea). I couldnt even use them on my legs without getting a rash, so I gave up on them.

I suspect if a cream is meant for use on facial hair, it means the Vellus facial hair (peach fuzz) which women have, and that it would be quite difficult to remove terminal facial hair (beard) which men get using the cream without burning your skin.