PDA

View Full Version : Shopping

Stephenie S
06-26-2006, 06:48 PM
Well, girls,

In the interests of encouraging all to get out there and shop, I would like to share with you my experience this afternoon.

A few weeks ago we got a catalog in the mail from "Coldwater Creek". I looked through it and just fell in love with the clothes. Their style may not be for everyone, but for a mature gal like myself, I felt they were just right. Anyway, I poured over the catalog, wondering which items to order and wishing I could just try on everything.

So, last night my wife says, "you know, they have a store downtown in the mall. Why don't you visit?"

OMG! Really? So I have to go down.

So this afternoon I dressed in my most presentable casual drab self and took myself to the downtown mall. I spent about 15 minutes strolling around the store by myself before a SA came over and asked if I needed any help. I said no, I was just browsing, but that I was a crossdresser and did she have any problem with me shopping there for myself. She got a little flustered and said no, but that they would have a problem with me using the dressing rooms. So I said, "well, that's the reason I am here, because if I can't try something on, I might as well order from the catalog". She was really a bit uncomfortable and said she had never experienced anything like this before. (it was nice to see that she was FAR more nervous than I, and I was nervous too) But she said, maybe you should talk to my manager, and she called the manager over.

Well the manager could not have been more welcoming!!!
She gave me a big smile and said "Of course you can shop here. We would LOVE to have your business. We can set you up with a dressing room and give you all the help you need."

So there you have it. I will definately be going back. I introduced myself to the manager and told her I would definately be back. And I told her to apologize to the SA for me for making her so nervous. She had disapeared in the back and I did not see her again until I left when I apologized in person.

I hope this will encourage any of you who are thinking about going shopping to just go. It will be fun.

This is the way I have always shopped when I want help from the sales staff. Just tell then what you want and what you are doing. I have never gotten any flack, and really, this nervous SA this afternoon is the only time I have ever felt anything but welcome. And she was probably completely unaware of CD. Well, as a matter of fact, that's just what she said.

You don't always have to be so up front. In a large dept store where you can pick up what you want an just go to the register with it, nobody needs to know your business (nor do they care or want to know) but in smaller stores, such as Coldwater Creek, it's nice to let them know who you are and what you want. You will get really good service when they know who you are and that you are there to spend money.

Lovies,
Stephenie

Veronica E. Scott
06-26-2006, 07:03 PM
Sounds as though you had a good experience may be I should try it next time I go shopping.As the UK girls say Good on You.

Jodi
06-26-2006, 08:47 PM
Stephanie, I have shopped at Coldwater Creek. You are right--great style and clothes. I have been open and have not had a problem. I went in just after they had opened. I used the dressing room with no problem.

How old was the SA? Maybe she was brand new and had been living under a rock before she got the job. Occasionally, I have gotten the same reaction in a store. I have done the same thing and asked for the manager. The managers have always been pleasant.

Jodi

Stephenie S
06-26-2006, 10:25 PM
Well really, the first SA was a older woman and I think I just caught her by surprise. She said she had just never heard of a man wearing women's clothes before. She really stuttered and stammered. So I think she may have never been exposed to CD before. The manager was a young woman, not more than 25 or 30. Extremely warm and welcoming! I will be shopping there bigtime.
For me, however, this experience has been the norm. I have never gotten any real objections to shopping for womens clothing. They all want our money.

Please note though, that Stephenie herself has not gone shopping yet. I want my hair to grow out a bit more and I need to be more comfortable and capable with my makeup, and my voice needs more work, before Stephenie steps out in a non protective environment. Until now, I have always gone shopping in drab. I do try to look good however, so that it's clear that I am a responsible adult with a credit card in my wallet, and I do carry my shoulder bag. That's how I bring my bra and forms to the store. Then I can put them on in the dressing room to check how each piece of clothing fits.

So I do not have that additional worry about "do I pass?" while I am picking out clothes. I don't even try. I find it lets me concentrate on finding what I want in a more relaxed mood. I do look forward to being able to mingle and blend in and I am working hard toward that goal.

Lovies,
Stephenie

michelle19845
06-26-2006, 11:26 PM
that would give me some anxiety in a heartbeat if i was told no.but i wouldn't go in drab either.the managers all like to increase profits any way they can.chances of a "no" are pretty slim.

Stephenie S
06-27-2006, 10:24 AM
Yes Michelle, that's what we have to remember here. Profit is the bottom line and any merchant with their eye (or brain) in the right place is going to welcome our business no matter what their private thoughts are. (And I suspect that they could care less.)

Lovies,
Stephenie

carol anne
06-27-2006, 12:57 PM
At the risk of maybe doing a little preaching I think the sooner a cd gets over the fear of discovery and actually does go shopping as a female she will find out how relatively easy it is. Certainly the clerks and salespeople are eager to to help a sale but I find that they will do anything possible to help a shopper. I make it a point to be friendly and ask for help and have never had a bad experience as Carol.

Stephenie S
06-27-2006, 01:15 PM
Dear Carol,

I do agree with you 100% .

I don't have any fear of "discovery", as I am introducing myself as a crossdresser.

My reluctance to let Stephenie go shopping by herself stems more from the fact that I am not satisfied with her public persona. This may be all in my head, and I will, of course, have to come to grips with it sooner or later, (sooner, if push comes to shove) but my main reason for recounting my shopping experience here was to demonstrate to those who are absolutely terrified of shopping for women's clothes that there are ways to do this in a completely non-threatening manner, without the concern about "passing".

Lovies,
Stephenie

Karren H
06-27-2006, 01:26 PM
WOW. So cool. Always said its all about the money. And a sale is a sale!! BTW..My wife loves CWC, I don't. LOL

Love Karren

Stephenie S
06-27-2006, 11:50 PM
None the less Karren, I think you have excelent taste in clothes. You are always well dressed and attractive.

Lovies,
Stephenie