PDA

View Full Version : Difference between home and pro makeup

Emma England
06-27-2006, 05:14 PM
I am considering using makeover/dressing services.

Is there a big difference between what can be done at home, and seeking professional advice? I would be the first to admit, I need help in how to apply makeup properly (that's only because I lack experience bigtime).

Can much be learnt from this type of experience?

Or is it just a waste of money?

I suppose at least it would be nice to be relaxed about being dressed with no worries attached.

Julie Avery
06-27-2006, 05:23 PM
My guess is that it is not a waste of money if you know how to choose a good artist.

Doug

Girly Sara
06-27-2006, 05:23 PM
Hi ya Emma,

Hope you're ok hun. I opt for professional make overs at the mo but i need to learn to do my own. It would probably benefit to go to a professional service at first and have a make up lesson. They will normally make up one half of your face and you do the other half.

Unfortunately i don't know of any dressing services in your area though :(

Good luck!

Sara xxx

VeronicaMoonlit
06-27-2006, 05:26 PM
Is there a big difference between what can be done at home, and seeking professional advice? I would be the first to admit, I need help in how to apply makeup properly (that's only because I lack experience bigtime).

Everything they can do, you can learn to do. Though if all you need is makeup, I'd recommend trying MAC or Sephora or a department store makeup counter.

Can much be learnt from this type of experience?

Yes, you can learn some. Though the tendency is for them to use dramatic techniques that aren't really used in a day to day kind of look.

Or is it just a waste of money?

Wel.....I think some of these services are a little high priced but some are more reasonable.

I suppose at least it would be nice to be relaxed about being dressed with no worries attached.

It that's something that would make you feel more comfortable that's a good thing.

Veronica
Rondelle (Ron) Rogers Jr.

Kate Simmons
06-27-2006, 07:06 PM
I've talked before about having a makeover done by someone but in all actuality, prefer doing my own makeup because it's "me" and not someone else's idea of what I should look like. As Veronica said, there is nothing they can do that you can't really learn to do yourself. All it takes is time and practice. The only person I would think of letting touch my makeup is my gay friend who is also a drag queen if I am to be in a show. Other than that it's me all the way. Makeovers do give some confidence however and if it works for you, I say go for it. Take care, Ericka

GG Vanya
06-27-2006, 07:37 PM
Emma,

Even the ladies behind the MAC counters are somewhat "pro".

When I read this thread, the first thought that came to me was that a "pro" can teach you how to emphasize your assets and minimize your liabilities relating to your good/bad facial features. This is done by "contouring" using different shades of base, etc. I.E. a wide nose can be made to appear thinner by using a darker shade base on the sides, and a lighter shade along the ridge.

It's the little tricks of the trade that make it worth the time to visit a pro. If you do decide to go, pay close attention, and take notes if need be!

Any makeup artist worth their salt will ask you the look you're going for. If you don't wish to be made up ala drag queen, just tell them you want an everyday look, not an evening/stage look.

If you do choose to go, get pictures and share with the class! :D