PDA

View Full Version : i wish i could just was my hair...

veronica7
06-27-2006, 10:54 PM
Hey Girls,
how do you wash or clean a wig..and a not a very expensive one...

Billijo49504
06-27-2006, 11:22 PM
Hi, go to Sally's Beauty supply store and get some of her wig shampoo. That's the stuff I use for my wigs.

Kate Simmons
06-28-2006, 05:39 AM
Woolite, Hon. Ericka

KateW
06-28-2006, 06:18 AM
Dependent on what the wig is made of, I would say - very carefully! I have had some cheap ones that just fall to pieces, and didn't have a lot of hair to start with! Now I'm just attempting to grow my own. (hair, that is... not trying to grow a wig!)

gerdaberlin
06-28-2006, 06:33 AM
decided to get rid of most wigs - and only use mine, since washing the wear is so much work of its own!:heehee:

Carroll
06-28-2006, 07:15 AM
I found this at a CD site. I have used this method on a pricey wig and an inexpensive wig with no problems. Big thing is to be gentle.

Wig Care, The Basics

1. Gently comb out the wig with a WIG BRUSH.

2. Fill a sink with tepid(cool) water and add one or two caps of WOOLITE or a gentle shampoo. Don’t use a shampoo for dandruff control or those with conditioners in them.

3. Place wig in the sink, and let it soak or about 30 minutes. Swish it around a few times while it is soaking.

4. After the soak time, hold it under the faucet and thoroughly rinse, again, use cool to slightly warm water.

5. Refill the sink with tepid water and this time add about a 1/4 cup of your favorite fabric softener (unscented). I like FINAL TOUCH.

6. Soak for about 10 to 15 minutes. You have two choices now, either rinse the fabric softener out or leave it in. I have talked to people about this, and each one has a different answer. I like to leave the softener in as it makes the wig easy to brush out.

7. Roll the wig up in a towel and gently press on the towel to get the water out of the wig. NEVER COMB A WET WIG- NEVER BLOW DRY A SYNTHETIC WIG

8. Fill an old 2-liter soda bottle, or I use a laundry detergent bottle, and drape the wig over it to dry. Short to medium wigs take overnight to dry. Restyle your clean wig the next morning, using a wig brush or wig pick.

9. Once styled, spray lightly with a non-aerosol hair spray. For this I like L'Oreal Mega Spritz.

10. When wearing a wig I recommend wearing a wig cap. This not only allows you to tuck in your own hair, but helps keep oils from getting into the cap of the wig.

11. After wearing your wig, drap or hang it over something that will allow air to pass through it. I can usually get 2 days of usage by letting the wig air during the night.

Sarah Rabbit
06-28-2006, 07:38 AM
Thank you Carrol, That procedure on wig care is Fantastic.:happy:

Sarah R. :bunny:

veronica7
06-28-2006, 12:02 PM
Thank you so much. I thought it was alost cause.

ava_bruna
06-28-2006, 12:13 PM
This is what this forum is all about, people helping people, thank's all for advice. growing you own wig is really best Hell!!!! I cant even grow my own:D:heehee:

Caitlintgsd
06-28-2006, 12:15 PM
I've always used a mild shampoo and then pat the water out as much as possible. Wigs don't tolerate heat too well (at least the artificially stranded variety) so just let it air dry. I did it that way when I wore wigs (for quite a few years) with no problems.

Tina Dixon
06-28-2006, 12:41 PM
I have washed mine a couple of times just using Pert shampoo, then rinse and put dry in a towel, and brush out, had good luck, and my wig cost 90 dollars.

Julie York
06-28-2006, 04:52 PM
From my own experience ...

Wash wig gently in luke warm water and fabric conditioner.
Lay on a towel and pat dry.
Take alarmingly gunky wig and put in a warm place to dry.
Take clotted matted dead thing and look at it in despair.
Try to comb and feel panic attack rising.
Stare in stunned amazement at even more clotted gunky wig.
Get drunk.

I have yet to throw it away because....well just:( because.

Jodi
06-28-2006, 07:57 PM
I go by what my stylist tells me. She fits my wigs and has been in the business for a long time. She says cold water only for washing. Even slightly warm water can damage the set in a synthetic wig. She also says to use only shampoo designed for synthetic wigs. This is available in any wig store. I am not one to question her expertise. I shampoo mine exactly as she tells me to do. The rest of her instructions match as was listed above..

Jodi

Carroll
06-28-2006, 09:08 PM
I am going to buy a new wig, or two tomorrow and I am going to ask her about wig shampoo vs baby shampoo.

Carroll
06-29-2006, 04:02 PM
I asked the shop owner about wig care. she said dont waste your money on wig shampoo. Just use a mild shampoo like suave or babby shampoo and your good to go. Oh, and I bought a new wig. Hope to post pics this evening!