PDA

View Full Version : Do we inherit our femininty from thw womb

kay_jessica
06-28-2006, 02:13 AM
I read this article on the BBC news site, http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/5120004.stm, though its context is restricted to gay tendancies, I was wandering if similar patterns could be found in the CD comunity.

I wonder how many of us have older brothers, and if the stats would show a similar pattern. i.e. A person with older brothers will be able to be more in touch with his/her femininity. I think perhaps how we express those feminine aspects is probably a life style choice not that it bothers me.

Any thoughts girls

Crisack
06-28-2006, 03:35 AM
There was a poll (http://crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31638&highlight=brother) recently here

I started to laugh when I read the story thinking that my mom wanted a girl so bad she might of got her antibodies in on it too, lol.

Sally24
06-28-2006, 04:47 AM
Kind of compliments some of the theories about transgendered people and hormones during developement in the uterus. From my understanding, the brain is developed in different ways at different stages and a large "wash" of hormones at the wrong time can stamp a brain female even though it is male. That would account for those of us TGs that showed signs at an early age (4-8 years old), even before any kind of sexual identity was developed.

Kate Simmons
06-28-2006, 05:30 AM
Hi girls, All interesting information. I have read all of these theories previously when I was trying to figure out why I wanted to look like/be a woman. Now that I have finally accepted this part of myself, however, I blame no one but myself. Bottom line for me is that I WANT to be Ericka regardless of the reason why. Take care, Ericka

fionasboots
06-28-2006, 07:50 AM
I read this article on the BBC news site, http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/5120004.stm, though its context is restricted to gay tendancies, I was wandering if similar patterns could be found in the CD comunity.

I wonder how many of us have older brothers, and if the stats would show a similar pattern. i.e. A person with older brothers will be able to be more in touch with his/her femininity. I think perhaps how we express those feminine aspects is probably a life style choice not that it bothers me.

Any thoughts girls

D'OH! You beat me to it, I was going to start a similar thread asking whether CDing my be genetic in some way.

For the record I am the older brother and I have one sister so in my case the theory in the article above probably doesn't hold if extended to CDing. I guess there are lots more reasons for CDing though so it may be hard to pin it down to the same mechanism as they are suggesting for gays/lesbians.

The mechanism that Sally mentioned regarding hormones in the womb is something I've heard about before (BBC documentary I think) and this can apparently have the affect of making a fully-formed genetic male/female have attributes of the opposite sexes behaviour, e.g. the example that sticks in my head was a woman we was completely mad about model trains :lol:

This was all down to the amount for hormone floating around during the development of a babies brain in the womb; the genetics had already decided the actual sex of the baby and this was not in any way affected, it was simply how the brain developed to being more male/female.

If they are suggesting there is possibly another mechanism going on then really it sounds like "male"/"female" are slightly redundant labels as they are a bit too specific when there's a whole spectrum of sexuality and behaviour out there.

I seem to remember that alot of people were against research into this area - the whole thing with gay/lesbians possibly having an "excuse" was brought up, also I think there was concern that homosexuality may also be seen as a genetic disorder that could be detected/"treated".

However, I think the article lends more weight to the idea that everyone is unique and there are so many factors that can influence this that labels are simply stereotypes and no matter what you (or anyone else) do/think you are who you are.

:hugs: Fiona

Kimberly
06-28-2006, 07:32 PM
Development in the womb is very fragile. Just a little too much testosterone or feremones (sp?) can tip the scales on way or another way.

This is just one theory, and I belive one side, to the infinite question of "why?". I believe it's not just our development in the womb, but the development of our personalities in growing up that affects our view of gender in every day life.

Jennaie
06-28-2006, 07:40 PM
Actually, I have read that it is usually the older male or only male that is more prone to becomming a cd. Hmmm..

I was the only male and lived with two older sisters and my mother. No, my sisters never dressed me up. But, a girl can dream of such things. My mother did let me play with her makeup.

MarinaTwelve200
06-28-2006, 07:47 PM
It may account for the CDing assoiated with TG or Gayness, but since CDing is a side effect or expression arising of MANY different often unrelated motives and conditions, I doubt that it can be directly attributed to womb conditions.

Dee 1062
06-28-2006, 10:29 PM
I am the older one...maybe they just got it backward...
I think they just got to have a story and they just guess, just like the weather men do...Hey wait maybe they choose the weather people to do the story:(LoL)