PDA

View Full Version : Coming out to your kids

Carroll
06-28-2006, 07:31 AM
How did you come out to your kids? At what age?
I have three kids. An 18yo boy that is from a first marriage and lives in MN. He does not know and I wont tell him for a while (there is a good reason, but that is for another time)
I was "forced" to come out to my 7yo boy one night when he got sick in bed. I had no time to change. He looked at me almost laughing. I told him I would talk to him the next day. I talked to him about it and asked his feelings. He said he did not like to see my like that, but that is was mean to laugh and make fun of me. I told him I would never dress in front of him with out his permission. I also told him the he could not tell anybody about it because some people might disapprove and might go as far as taking him and his sister out of the house. I know that that sounded a bit harsh, but I believe it was the best way to make sure he didn't tell anyone.
A few nights ago I asked him if it was OK to dress in the morning and he said it was OK. Well this morning I was dressed when he got up. He looked at me and smiled and that was it. He seemed to adjust to it. My 4yo daughter....well... all she wanted me to do was to take off the hair! I think that, despite my wifes reservations about showing the kids, that it will be OK. We want to teach the kids about diversity and to show them that it is the inside, not the outside of a person that really matters.

Carroll:hugs:

Sarah Rabbit
06-28-2006, 07:44 AM
Thats a tough call. My Daughters live with their mother and have not seen them for a while (Not by My Choice) When they do come back into my life, I'm not sure how I am going to deal with it.. Just a queary. that bit about the children being taken way...Is that a possibility?

Sarah R. :bunny:

Carroll
06-28-2006, 09:35 AM
Child protective services, if not properly informed would try, thinking you MUST be gay and molest kids. To be honest, where I live (near Ithaca) there is so much diversity, I doubt very much they would have a good reason to take the kids. My actual fear, and I told him this, is if someone found out, he might be tormented in school by friends and maybe adults who are misinformed or not open minded. Like most parents, I am very protect of my kids

Carroll

Sandra
06-28-2006, 01:35 PM
We told Amy about Nigella when she was 14 and she just took it in her stride, infact she said she did have an idea, she was the one told all her friends and she didn't get any negitive responses. Kids can accept things eaiser than what adults can. We brought Amy up knowing that not all people are the same and that dressing in womens clothes doesn't mean that Dad is any different, Dad is still the same person just wearing different clothes.