PDA

View Full Version : What Do Our Avatars Say About Us?

Bernadina
11-27-2004, 11:04 AM
I was wondering what kinds of messages we give out about ourselves with our Avatars.

(For our new members, Avatars are the cameo pictures that show up beside our posts.)

I noticed that we run the range from none at all, cutesy cartoons, chrome plated sharks, bottom half photos, face shots and everything else in between.

Anyone have an opinion?

Stephanie Brooks
11-27-2004, 11:15 AM
Hi Dina!

The messages are probably as individual as ourselves. For me, my avatar represents what I see as the best of my femme self. At present I'm in a purge, and this helps alleviate some of the pain; it is the one and best reminder of the female part of me.

Though I've been tempted to change my avatar, I'd be afraid of people not recognizing me. On the other hand, others change avatars frequently and don't seem to experience problems. Hmmm... :cool:

Wendy me
11-27-2004, 11:20 AM
i am all me just for now no face (hunting season i look like sasquash) no shaveing for a while after hunting we will fix that

Rhonda Callahan
11-27-2004, 12:42 PM
My lack of an avatar, that is. I haven't taken the time to learn how to, and when I do, I want to be able to show one of my prettiest pictures .I will, I will, believe me, I want to. I've got to get a web cam ? I have a video cam, that came with the computer hookup, and the dvd, Digital Photo Navigator,but I just haven't gotten there yet. I keep looking back at my videos, and damn, I've got some nice shots, but I'll just bet, about all of us say that about ourselves. Besides, my computer is old, and so am I. I do a lot of this for selfish reasons anyway. Not that there's anything wrong with that, we all want to be accepted by others, don't we ? LOL, and I hope no one minds that I say Lots of Love after a lot of my responses,I probably copied it :rolleyes: but I really do mean it. There are so many similarities between us, from the enjoyment of dressing, to the depression we've all experienced.

Ashleigh
11-27-2004, 01:20 PM
A very interesting question indeed. I think of myself as the hometown country girl type who is on the wholesome side, willing to help and be as good an influence as I can. :) Thus my avatar. I try to live my life that way, at least as best I can. Because I live in a very small community, one that is intolerant of CDs, I won't be showing my real self. :( I am known by quite a few here and if I were "exposed" I would literally have to move out of the area. :eek: Ah, such is life in a secluded but gorgeous scenic area. :o

Robertacd
11-27-2004, 01:32 PM
My message is simple. Here I am!

babe4life
11-27-2004, 02:35 PM
On the other hand, others change avatars frequently and don't seem to experience problems. Hmmm... :cool:
Stephanie, what are you insinuating!? :p I can change my mind can't I? Woman's prerogative! :D

Love,
Vicky

SherryAnn
11-27-2004, 02:43 PM
for lack of a better excuse mines the one thats on the post office wall in town!!!!!!!!

DonnaT
11-27-2004, 02:47 PM
I know I had trouble mentally connecting one ladies post with her because she had changed from a photo to a completely different picture. I see the avatar off to the side and connect it to the person without looking for a name, when it is present.

As for mine, initially it was an online image I liked and decided to use. Now, even though I have a head shot photo, I don't think I'll change it. I like it too much. :D

Wendy me
11-27-2004, 02:49 PM
for lack of a better excuse mines the one thats on the post office wall in town!!!!!!!!

some how i don't doute that :p

Wendy me
11-27-2004, 02:58 PM
sorry sherry ann ,(wendy bites her toung)

Amelie
11-27-2004, 03:01 PM
Stephanie,,,What do you mean some girls change their avatar frequently?

I don't see this happening.

I like to keep changing my avatar. I will also put up other kinds of pics,, not just my pic.
I'm on another site, the people there change their avatars every week, I can't keep up with the changes. I have to read the names all the time, I can't go by the avatar.
Amelie

Starluscious
11-27-2004, 03:01 PM
I better not get attacked for saying this cuz it's from my heart
I don't deserve to be attacked for speaking up

we're all equal in beauty it's just sometimes it takes time to find it
and the open minded people look at your avatars and go
pretty girls must be nice to talk to
and the close minded go : wow I"d like to f*** that what a sl**
so it varies on what people think of our avatars
we'll never fully know all the way until we ask everyone
which would take a while

love
Starluscious
thanks for asking ladies
it is a good question
sometimes the answers are hard to find

Amelie
11-27-2004, 03:05 PM
Didn't we ban you to Bogie-land, Star. Lol

Sometimes, Star, if you are going to say something unpopular, you must be prepared to stand alone. I have been there. If you think what you said is right, then stick by it and defend what you say.
Love Amelie

Jeanette H
11-27-2004, 05:24 PM
Mine says my wig needed combing! But I like the facial expression. And it's always fascinating to me to see other girls. Sometimes I find it hard to believe that there are so many of us who need to do this thing.

Sharon
11-27-2004, 05:33 PM
I'm just waiting for a face shot I'm happy with!

MiaPink
11-27-2004, 07:49 PM
Mine says "someone get this girl laser hair removal and a makeover!" :D

I can see someone not posting their face to protect their anonymity. Sometimes I just look at the avatars and go "what is this girl thinking?" A lot of girls complain that we're not socially accepted, and the sexiness of some of the pics/avatars could quite possibly make an outsider scratch their head and accuse all of us of being pervs - which is an image I personally am trying to get away from.

IMHO, I always keep the explicit stuff in the bedroom. Unless someone's willing to pay to see that - J/K. But I keep all of my pics and avatars rated "PG." Noone asked to see my panties! lol

Marlene4a
11-27-2004, 07:58 PM
Good answer Genevieve.

Stephanie Brooks
11-27-2004, 11:35 PM
Stephanie, what are you insinuating!? :p I can change my mind can't I? Woman's prerogative! :D

Love,
Vicky
But of course! My thought was, "maybe they know something I don't!" :D

Stephanie Brooks
11-27-2004, 11:40 PM

It must be my poor eyesight, Amelie! :p

I like to keep changing my avatar. I will also put up other kinds of pics,, not just my pic.
I'm on another site, the people there change their avatars every week, I can't keep up with the changes. I have to read the names all the time, I can't go by the avatar.
Amelie
Actually I find I don't go by the avatars a lot. As things return to some semblance of normality for me, I may no longer need my current avatar to be the "anchor" it is for me now.

Jenna1561
11-27-2004, 11:47 PM
My avatar is my fav pic of me and it's not easy to reproduce the effect everytime I dress. It is who I want to be.

A happy girl, happy to be alive and happy to see others and be seen. When I see it, my feelings always soar. I see that in many avatars and truly enjoy them.

Jenna

Jen_TGCD
11-27-2004, 11:54 PM
A happy girl, happy to be alive and happy to see others and be seen. When I see it, my feelings always soar. I see that in many avatars and truly enjoy them.

Jenna
Jenna ~
I can see that and feel it, too, in your posts. Keep smiling, girlfriend! :)

crispy
11-28-2004, 12:10 AM
re the original question ............ do you need to ask ??? :D :D :D :D

crispy
11-28-2004, 12:18 AM
Though I've been tempted to change my avatar, I'd be afraid of people not recognizing me. On the other hand, others change avatars frequently and don't seem to experience problems. Hmmm... :cool:
It's all about style ... :)

sharkstyle

Rachel Ann
11-28-2004, 12:42 AM
I've been tempted to change my avatar
If you do, Stephanie, PLEASE repost it and your profile pic in the Pictures Thread. They are just too lovely to take from us!

Love

DonnaT
11-28-2004, 12:47 AM
Ohhh, nice shark lady Crispy (HSSS=high speed steel shark)

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/26/26_11_10.gif

Rachel Ann
11-28-2004, 12:52 AM
Well, I started with the cartoon pending getting a presentable real picture of myself. It wasn't just any old cartoon, though - it was a depiction of Rachel in another context that was very meaningful to me. Long story. The original was a teensy bit salacious so I had to crop it some!

I'll continue to change avs as I get better pics - eventually I will get a wig in my natural color (dark brown). As far as recognition, I'm still the only Rachel Ann here - and Stephanie, fractlgrrl is very hard to forget!

And I like the shark lady too, Crispy!

Stephanie Brooks
11-28-2004, 01:07 AM
Crispy,

is that you? :p

Stephanie Brooks
11-28-2004, 01:09 AM
Thank you Rachel!

I won't be changing it for awhile, but when I do I'll be sure to put it in the pictures thread. My hope would be that I would be past the purge and taking NEW pics. That won't happen any time soon, but I can hope.

Sweet Susan
11-28-2004, 01:39 AM
I don't find that my avatar says much of anything at all about me. What I'd like to do, though I don't do it as often as I'd like, is change mine every few days. Marlene is great about helping me with that, and though I've had some great shots up there, I'm never satisfied for long. I think avatars are a great way for people to get a peek at us.

racquel
11-28-2004, 02:29 AM
am trying to save to buy a digital camera,also need a scanner-printer.bought this system in oct so hope to be able to post a picture in the new year.

KatieAnne
11-28-2004, 02:41 AM
Hi, I'm just a bit curious luv. You say you are between the Azores and Iceland? Are you living on an iceberg? Brrrrrrrrrrrr. I've been to the Azores. What do you do for excitement? Watch the iceberg's melt? Just having fun, hon. Luv ya!

Hugs,

KatieAnne

crispy
11-28-2004, 03:53 AM
Crispy,

is that you? :p
and how... !! :p :p :p

Wenda
11-28-2004, 04:34 AM
My lack of an avatar, that is. I haven't taken the time to learn how to, and when I do, I want to be able to show one of my prettiest pictures .I will, I will, believe me, I want to. I've got to get a web cam ? I have a video cam, that came with the computer hookup, and the dvd, Digital Photo Navigator,but I just haven't gotten there yet. I keep looking back at my videos, and damn, I've got some nice shots, but I'll just bet, about all of us say that about ourselves. Besides, my computer is old, and so am I. I do a lot of this for selfish reasons anyway. Not that there's anything wrong with that, we all want to be accepted by others, don't we ? LOL, and I hope no one minds that I say Lots of Love after a lot of my responses,I probably copied it :rolleyes: but I really do mean it. There are so many similarities between us, from the enjoyment of dressing, to the depression we've all experienced.You said it all, dear. I have some nice images, but haven't conquered the e-world completely. Not going to ask my teenaged son for help. patience, read the directions, etc. wenda.

Rachel Ann
11-28-2004, 05:17 AM
LOL means so many things. So far I have heard

Laugh Out Loud

Lots Of Love

Little Old Lady

Amelie
11-28-2004, 07:16 AM
Hi, I'm just a bit curious luv. You say you are between the Azores and Iceland? Are you living on an iceberg? Brrrrrrrrrrrr. I've been to the Azores. What do you do for excitement? Watch the iceberg's melt? Just having fun, hon. Luv ya!

Hugs,

KatieAnne

I live on this lighthouse in the middle of the ocean, this is why I can dress in fem everyday, no one can see me. Lol
Love Amelie

PS-I live in hell,,,no wait a minute, Baltimore

Tonia
11-28-2004, 10:46 AM

Amelie
Hi Amelie:)

Well said Amelie, I was saving this Avatar for you I loved the Monster Show Lilly was my favorite.

Tonia:D

Amelie
11-28-2004, 10:54 AM
I like Decarlo this way.
Amelie

Tonia
11-28-2004, 10:59 AM
I like Decarlo this way.
Amelie

I love that photo, she is awesome a truly great actress.

Tonia:D

MissBosie
11-28-2004, 12:48 PM
I noticed that we run the range from none at all, cutesy cartoons, chrome plated sharks, bottom half photos, face shots and everything else in between.

Anyone have an opinion?

It's the "in between" ones that worry me! ;)

StephanieCD
11-28-2004, 12:58 PM
I don't have a digital camera yet so in the meantime I picked a coy shot of "the slippers" - so much rolled into one image for me. When I do get a camera I'll probably do some pseudo-artistic angle of myself so I can say it's me without fearing discovery.

Or maybe I'll just keep the slippers ;) Wish I could find 'em in my size!

paulaN
11-28-2004, 01:09 PM
I am trying to post my avatar. with a little luck I will have it for all to see. I'm having trouble croping it to the right size. endevor to perservire.

StephanieCD
11-28-2004, 01:41 PM
I am trying to post my avatar. with a little luck I will have it for all to see. I'm having trouble croping it to the right size. endevor to perservire.

If you want help PM me and I'd be glad to help

Julie
11-28-2004, 01:52 PM
I've always thought I should be more animated, hence I think my avatar gets that across. :)

JJ

Stephanie Brooks
11-28-2004, 02:07 PM
I just love being a girl... I hope that it shows.

Hugs,
Wendy
Hi Wendy!

Yes it shows. :D I'm perusing the photos on your website and am admiring them immensely.

But I'm now smitten. Oh sure, you've a pretty smile, and a lovely curvy body. It's that 3 pound universe between the ears that has taken me; you're a Linux chic. Be still my beating heart... :p Ahhh...

Tristen Cox
11-28-2004, 04:34 PM
This being my seventh avatar, guess that goes to show I am a woman who can never make her mind up. I think everyone agreed that smiles make the difference :D Even adds some points, right Rachel. Still trying to capture the true me and so far this one's looking alot like her.
And Crispy you mentioned a shinny crome:eek:...well that's what your second pic reminded me of anyway...hehe :p

Love ya'll
Tristen

Stephanie Brooks
11-28-2004, 09:10 PM
Well Tristen,

I've enjoyed your avatars, and this current one reminds me of the smiling anime/manga avatar you had when I first arrived. :)

Tristen Cox
11-28-2004, 11:15 PM
See! Now you're catching on :D

Thanx Stephanie

Rachel Ann
11-28-2004, 11:18 PM
If Crispy is the shiny metal Shark, I want to be The Stainless Steel Rat :D

crispy
11-29-2004, 12:10 AM
If Crispy is the shiny metal Shark, I want to be The Stainless Steel Rat :D
have you earned the right?

Rachel Ann
11-29-2004, 12:17 AM
*indignantly* I most certainly have! A lifetime of playing the corners and the edges.

"What's the big deal? It's only a misdemeanor."

Katie Boundary
11-29-2004, 03:38 PM
I think mine has the air of a little girl lost (who's trying to do her best).

Rachel Ann
11-29-2004, 04:28 PM
Speaking of lovely AVs - this is one of the first exchanges that I had here!

Lawren, I love your av. ;)

Thank you Rachel Ann.
I chose that pic for my av because, like you, she appears to be contemplating who she is and where she fits in.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/NoodlesRomanoff/LawrenAv.jpg

Haven't heard from her for a couple of weeks. Maybe she's on vacation.

Charlotte Elizabeth
11-29-2004, 04:34 PM
mine suggests I'm a cute blonde. IRL I'm neither.

Rachel Ann
11-29-2004, 05:03 PM
mine suggests I'm a cute blonde. IRL I'm neither.
Yes, but the magic of places like this is that we can be anything we want to be!

Sara Kat
11-29-2004, 05:42 PM
Mine is who I want to be...Sara-Ann Moss. :D

Stephanie7686
11-29-2004, 07:59 PM
Hi everyone im not to new here but i havent really wrote anything on here yet. I guess I get kinda busy and dont go on the computer that much. But anyways to reply to the question about avatars, mine is showing my feature that i think is the best on my body. Hopefully it is not to provactive to anyone because i really like it and no offense is meant. I also have a whole lot of other pics if any one wants to see them i would be willing show or swap with someone.

Ok bye bye girls!!!

crispy
11-29-2004, 10:46 PM
Hi everyone im not to new here but i havent really wrote anything on here yet. I guess I get kinda busy and dont go on the computer that much. But anyways to reply to the question about avatars, mine is showing my feature that i think is the best on my body. Hopefully it is not to provactive to anyone because i really like it and no offense is meant. I also have a whole lot of other pics if any one wants to see them i would be willing show or swap with someone.

Ok bye bye girls!!!
Stephanie, darling, as long as it got you out of the Lurkers Regiment and into the Posters Brigade, I am not offended.

No, I am not offended. I just think your bare bum is so cute .............. and DAMN RUDE !! :eek: :D :D :D

.............................. oh, and I would say 'welcome' and all that, but I can assure you that a shark's idea of a welcome is best avoided.

MonaGrrlSolid
11-30-2004, 02:25 AM
I think my avatar is fairly clear . . .

It says: "Somebody please get this girl a decent razor or some nice make-up so that maybe she won't have to hide that 5:00 shadow behind a grayscale filter anymore."

Fin. :D

Bonnie-OR
11-30-2004, 02:43 AM
Mine doesn't really say anything, it just looks at me. I change mine as my mood changes, and we all know haw a womans mood can change. As I take new pics, if I find one I like (1/100?) I go ahead and post it. I can't really think of anything I try to say, except I'm here, and this is who I am. A lot of good thoughts though. Huggs to all, Bonnie

Elinor
11-30-2004, 08:33 AM
:) ;) Mine says:D do you like my dress and high heels?

Rachel Ann
11-30-2004, 04:41 PM
It's that 3 pound universe between the ears that has taken me
Stephanie

Many doctors and other researchers say that the largest sex organ in the body is the brain!

Tamara Croft
11-30-2004, 07:40 PM
I don't know what mine says about me.... I just thinks shes a cute little devil :p

Sharon
11-30-2004, 07:47 PM
It says "here I am."

Amelie
11-30-2004, 07:53 PM
Sharon,, Cool pic, I am glad to meet you.
Thanks
Love Amelie

wilma
11-30-2004, 08:51 PM
My Avatar is just a fantasy of what I wish I could be, but mostly it is a picture of how I can feel. I looked long and hard for the one picture which I felt showed the inner me when I am wilma

Amelie
11-30-2004, 08:53 PM
Stephanie

Many doctors and other researchers say that the largest sex organ in the body is the brain!

Now I know why I don't have sex that often.
Amelie

windycissy
11-30-2004, 09:01 PM
Mine says I have a digital camera, and I know how to edit the hell out of the pictures to make myself look halfway decent, please don't burst my bubble if you disagree!

For girls on a budget, my photos are all taken with an Argus 1730 digital camera that I bought at Wallmart for under $40! I recommend it highly.

Ask Windy (http://snurl.com/askwindy)

DanaJ
11-30-2004, 09:06 PM
Ok, as someone that changes her avatar a lot, mine says I have too many photos on my computer :)

DanaJ

Sharon
11-30-2004, 10:13 PM
Mine says "LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT ME!!!"

Or I spent WAY too much $ on these pictures...

;)

And may I add Erica -- it was $ well spent.

Tristen Cox
11-30-2004, 10:16 PM
It looks more like " Hey these teeth took the dentist two hours to get this perfect for this pic and YOU HAD BETTER LOVE THEM!! " :D :D :D

Tristen Cox
11-30-2004, 10:29 PM
dat dar denist gunna B mad az all gietut

Sharon
11-30-2004, 10:32 PM
Wuay? He'd be da one dat painted them thar teath on...

Not to mention the produce guy who sold Tristen the apples for her cheeks.

Tristen Cox
11-30-2004, 10:43 PM
dat aent no phun telin un peeps, howd usplan da eilinur?

Kellie
11-30-2004, 11:24 PM
Erica, May I just say WOW! That was definately $ well spent.