PDA

View Full Version : Alabama takes a step forward

GG Vanya
06-28-2006, 08:33 PM
http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060626/NEWS/606260315/1001

While one county's judge denied them a marriage license, another county approved it.

Kimberley
06-28-2006, 08:42 PM
Thanks Vanya,

It was a good article and raises a lot of questions regarding same sex marriage. How will lawmakers put a halt to that? Food for thought.

I think the thing that struck me most was the open bias and prejudices of the judiciary involved. It would seem to me that any TG who appeared before either of these judges would be convicted before any testimony was heard. Scary.

Kimberley

Bernice
06-28-2006, 08:50 PM
This just furthers the evidence that says that labels such as male or female are essentially meaningless. The sooner the courts realize this, the better we will all be (even those of us who have no gender issues). What part of equal protection under the law do the courts not understand?+?

KateW
06-28-2006, 09:17 PM
"It had a driver's license that said male," Stubbs said. "But if you were dressed like a lady and had a dress and beads on, what would you be? If it had come here looking like a man and dressed as a man, I would have given them a marriage license." According to this, clothes really do make the man, or um, woman. I didn't realise it was so easy to change sex!

Hang on... if I put on a rabbit outfit, could I change species too?

Lauren B
06-28-2006, 09:27 PM
"It had a driver's license that said male," Stubbs said. "But if you were dressed like a lady and had a dress and beads on, what would you be? If it had come here looking like a man and dressed as a man, I would have given them a marriage license." According to this, clothes really do make the man, or um, woman. I didn't realise it was so easy to change sex!

Hang on... if I put on a rabbit outfit, could I change species too?

:(

This is the 21st century in America? And this is allegedly a professional, intelligent man?

Rickie
06-28-2006, 09:27 PM
I don't see how this is a step forward. If anything its a step in bigotry. All the judge did is marry a man and a woman. He/she had proof of his manhood, so legally I don't see how they stop from doing their job. And marrying the 2 of them.

It would be like I when in to get a driver license and they turned me down because I looked to young. But I'm standing there with proof I'm 30. What the heck does look have to do with it.

Both judges need to be taken off the bench. Thier duty is to disspencer the law. Lady justice is blind folded if I remember right.

:hugs:
Rickie

GG Vanya
06-28-2006, 10:26 PM
I don't see how this is a step forward. If anything its a step in bigotry. All the judge did is marry a man and a woman. He/she had proof of his manhood, so legally I don't see how they stop from doing their job. And marrying the 2 of them.

It would be like I when in to get a driver license and they turned me down because I looked to young. But I'm standing there with proof I'm 30. What the heck does look have to do with it.

Both judges need to be taken off the bench. Thier duty is to disspencer the law. Lady justice is blind folded if I remember right.

:hugs:
Rickie

Perhaps the written report was different from the video clip I saw (on RoadRunner's home page, where AP videos are shown). The TG was very thankful, seemingly, that at LEAST the judge in the other county granted their wish to be married. <shrug>

Billijo49504
06-28-2006, 10:58 PM
Gee, after reading that report, all I can say is WOW!!! It sure give all of us something to think about....BJ

ReginaK
06-28-2006, 11:09 PM
:(

This is the 21st century in America? And this is allegedly a professional, intelligent man?

Yeah, but it's Alabama. Not exactly the most progressive cutting edge place.

Barb Valentine
06-28-2006, 11:13 PM
A great article
Thanks for sharing

JenniferMint
06-28-2006, 11:39 PM
"It looked to me like we were going to issue a license to two women," said Stubbs, who referred to Carson as "it" during a telephone interview. "I never could figure out what one of them was."

I wonder what Stubbs would have done if Carson tried to marry a man instead of a woman!

Angie G
06-29-2006, 12:14 AM
Government must stay out of it if its Gods will he will take it up with the
'' SINERS'' when there time is up.
Angie G.

ReginaK
06-29-2006, 05:03 AM
I wonder what Stubbs would have done if Carson tried to marry a man instead of a woman!

Probably assume everything is OK until he inspected the paperwork.

Kimberly
06-29-2006, 05:09 AM
Ah, the U.S...... a step behind.

Same sex marriages are perfectly legal over in the UK, though this only changed a few months ago.

A guess, generally, this shows the difference in our two people: the UK is slightly more liberal.

But as in the case of transgenderism, it isn't the laws that have to change...

Ellaine
06-29-2006, 09:47 AM
Ah, the U.S...... a step behind.

Same sex marriages are perfectly legal over in the UK, though this only changed a few months ago.

A guess, generally, this shows the difference in our two people: the UK is slightly more liberal.

But as in the case of transgenderism, it isn't the laws that have to change...

Hi Kimberley... Rumsay has drawn the line in the sand. Gays remain oddly unacceptable in the biblical eyes of their creator, and as such remain targets.

Gay clergy ultimatum set to split Anglicans
By Ruth Gledhill, Religion Correspondent

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-2246806,00.html

"THE Archbishop of Canterbury has signalled the break-up of the worldwide Anglican Church by threatening to exclude the liberal wing. "
"Canon Chris Sugden, the executive secretary of the Anglican Mainstream grouping, said: “The Archbishop’s letter rightly recognises the priority of Scripture and that the Church must respond on the basis of the Bible and historic teaching rather than cultural or rights-based views.”

Since the status in U.K is that Civil Partnerships with all the rights of a marriage are legal, it is still not, a Marriage, in Law. The Anglican Church will not move on this. Marriage, the holy union, is only available to heterosexual couples. Civil Union is a second class compromise that rampant conservatism will continue to denegrate. It may only be a word, but it looks as divisive as black/white, class/classless.

Ellaine
06-29-2006, 09:53 AM
This just furthers the evidence that says that labels such as male or female are essentially meaningless. The sooner the courts realize this, the better we will all be (even those of us who have no gender issues). What part of equal protection under the law do the courts not understand?+?

But wouldn't that deny any lever for politics or religion? Far too radical. Though I agree entirely. Well said IMHO

eva dawn
06-29-2006, 11:28 PM
:straightface:
http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060626/NEWS/606260315/1001

While one county's judge denied them a marriage license, another county approved it.
Interested in what part of the deep south are you from. Not too many cd's here. At least not to my knowledge(not saying much).

princessmichelle
06-30-2006, 08:37 AM
Thanks for posting the article.
It is, by itself, the strongest case I have ever read for alliances between hetero cds and gays/lesbians.
Princess Michelle

leftyblueeyes
06-30-2006, 08:43 AM
Eva Dawn,

I too am in the south, just wanted to let you know. North Alabama even - but I am a transplant from far, far north (think snow, lakes, mosquitos, aged celebrity politicians).

There are a lot of things about Alabama that I like (they are mostly geographical). But it will still be eons before they embrace they influence of culture and society beyond their own "borders."

leftyblueeyes (Colette)

GG Vanya
06-30-2006, 02:13 PM
:straightface:
Interested in what part of the deep south are you from. Not too many cd's here. At least not to my knowledge(not saying much).

The land of mud bugs and blues music, gumbo and Southern Belles,Mint Juleps, Ante Bellum homes and huge Magnolia trees.

KathlyLC
06-30-2006, 06:54 PM
Carsons is thr GG's last name.....she already is a female.......I konw both of these people for many many years.......They are both great people, and to be honest, why is everyone bashing both the judges. Its was only Stubbs that gave them any crap. The other judge is an alright fella. I live in ALabam, ands Cher cuts my hair as well my wifes, so if your even in this area drop on in and look her up. She does a set of acrylic nails that is unreal.

I have dressed and been out in public for over 10 years in Alabama, and have never ever had a problem with anyone. I have gotten stopped for speeding, and not a word was said.........I have been in a fast food restaurant or other eating place and had cops sit down close by look me over and then mind their own business and never say a word... Alabama is not as bad as folks seem to think it is. Its no worse than most of the other states in regards to same sex marriages right now anyhow.

I live in the deep south and its just fine........much better than most reallay think it is.......too many hollywood moivies and stories of bygone era's.