PDA

View Full Version : Coming Out To Mum!

~Tammy~
07-02-2006, 02:18 PM
Hi everyone.

I haven't posted much here for a long long time, way to long really, but I wanted to share my latest experience with you all, as I think some people may find this interesting and maybe even valuable in their decision whether or not to share their crossdressing with friends and family. Obviously, everyone's situation is different, but this is my story.

For the benefit of people who don't know me, I'll start somewhere near the beginning.

I started dressing up when I was aged 10, by 'borrowing' my sisters skirts and mums dresses, like most other trannies. I was always firmly in the closet, or so I thought until I met Tamara when I was aged 24. In-between this, aged about 14-15 I believe, I had been getting the urge to be caught in girls clothes and so performed a stupendously silly prank, which back-fired.

My folks were away for the day, so I phoned a mobile hairdresser, and made an appointment for her to come round. I had no intention of having my hair cut but just wanted her to see me in one of my mums skirts. So that happened, hairdresser came round, saw me in skirt, I said I think you have wrong address and she left.

Next day, little me wanders in the house after school to be greeted by my mum, dad and a policeman. Aw, crap.

The hairdresser had phoned the police to report me who then had a chat with my folks. I denied everything as a silly teenage lad would, but mum asked me in private, "Is there something you want to talk about?", to which I replied, "No". Well that was the end of it and it was never discussed again.

We step forward now to me aged 24. I tell Tamara, the first person I ever shared my 'secret' with. She was shocked, but accepted it, then eventually even came to enjoy like she does today, and I love her so much for understanding.

Time passes, we join this forum, I met up with other CD'ers including a work colleague (a shock horror moment!). A couple of years ago, I decided to tell my sister, she was really cool about it and I had often pondered the idea of telling my mum, but pondering was as far as I had taken it.

I found out my mum had already questioned my sister about what we had discussed so secretively that time, to which my sister replied, er, I can't tell you. So my mum said to her, "Well what if I say what I think it is?". So she said, "I think he wears womens clothes", which my sister admitted was the secret thing. My sister didn't want me to know about this, but did talk to Tamara, who couldn't keep it from me and so told me about it. So I already knew that my mum knew but we had never discussed it together. Still with me so far?

Now to present day events.

After going to Sparkles at the weekend and having a really great time, for which we borrowed some spending cash from my folks, I was really thinking it was time to tell her. My sister had a chat with me and explained my mum was worried about the money we borrowed and where we went because we seemed so shady about the whole 'weekend away' thing. So my sister had again told her where we went to put her mind at ease. Well my dad was out for the evening so I went and had a little chat with mother!

She made it really tough going to be honest. I had started by asking her if she had wondered where we went at the weekend? She said, "Well I was wondering, but that's up to you". Great I thought, not the kind of start I was hoping for. So I asked, "Do you remember asking 'my sister' about what the little secret chat was about a couple of years ago?". “No”, she said. Flaming marvellous I thought to myself, and like this wasn’t difficult enough! So I just said, "What about the fact I like to wear womens clothes?". Well hey, by that time I thought I may as well just say the damn thing because we weren't getting anywhere. She was a bit stunned to say the least. Now considering I already knew that she knew, she still tried to say that she didn't know, but she admitted she did think there was always something going on, something not quite right with me. I think it was really the fact she just didn't know how to say she knew, ya know?!!!

So we had a good chat, expelled some of the typical heterosexual crossdresser rumours. I'm not gay, I'm not transsexual, (explained slightly different for her to understand). I just like to dress up, etc, etc, blahdy, blah. She admitted she did think I may be gay at one point and also said if I had been gay she would have ok with that too. We agreed my dad would probably not understand the whole, ‘dressing up in womens clothes issue’, so I guess he's not a CD after all, still not totally sure on that one though. In the end, she seemed to be quite understanding about the whole thing. She came over, and said, "It doesn't matter who you are or what you do, I still love you". Well, I guess if I wasn't still shaking that may have brought a tear to my eye, and still may later on.

We talked about different levels of crossdressing, how much I do it, how far do I go. Would I do it all the time if could (Yes, was the answer, btw.) She explained she’s not keen on drag queens, that is just too much. One thing that really made me happy, is that she said, “If a man wants to dress up like a woman he should at least make the effort and try to be convincing, not just be an obvious man in a dress!”.

She is now pondering the thought of looking at some of my pictures. One step at a time. Girly steps of course :)

Tina Dixon
07-02-2006, 02:29 PM
Wow good for you, already got so much going for your dressing and now your Mum knows and is cool with it, and I like your Muns attitude, don't just be a guy in a dress, that is great:thumbsup:

Joy Carter
07-02-2006, 02:30 PM
Well good for you Tammy it's not something I'd do but we all have our needs and you are better for telling your MUM. :hugs:

Di
07-02-2006, 03:01 PM
If a man wants to dress up like a woman he should at least make the effort and try to be convincing, not just be an obvious man in a dress!”. quote........

How cool is that...I can't imagine a better response from your mum.............one step at a time is right but what a good step in the right direction.:hugs: Di

Rachel Morley
07-02-2006, 03:37 PM
Hi Tammy,

Thanks for sharing. Your post rang quite a few bells with me because this is how I expect things to go with me and my Mum should we ever "have the talk".

She admitted she did think I may be gay at one point and also said if I had been gay she would have ok with that too.
As I've said I'm not out to my Mum yet, but the quote above has already happened to me because there was a time in my life that I didn't have a girlfriend for a very very long time and my Mum has said this to me already!

We agreed my dad would probably not understand the whole, "dressing up in womens clothes issue"
Sounds like my Dad is similar yours. I'm sure mine wouldn't "get it" and I'm equally sure he probabaly shoot me dead on the spot if he ever saw me en femme. :(

So it sounds like it's going to be a "kept secret" just between the girls of the family....and that sounds pretty good to me :happy: Aren't Mums just great?!

ChristineRenee
07-02-2006, 03:42 PM
Thanks for telling us your story Tammy...it was good to see you post again. I like your mum's attitude too...and glad to hear it worked out so well.:thumbsup::happy:

Toyah
07-02-2006, 03:54 PM
It still has to be done here no family or friends know about Toyah apart from my wife

Sarah Rabbit
07-02-2006, 04:56 PM
When I came out to my Mother, I started by Asking her, if she ever suspected anything different about me. (My S.O. reconed she would already know..Mothers are like that...) Mum said no other than she considered me the softer boy in the family (3 Brothers).. Me thinks ' Oh S**T, where to go from here'. Having made the special trip to tell her, I was not about to back out, so I just told her. She was slightly surprised..she did think I was Gay prior to me telling her. We discussed it for a few hours, answered the usual Questions......................................... .........Sorry I'm rambled on here..I'm very happy for you..You'll find your decision to tell your Mother Spiritually Freeing. No more hiding from her..:hugs:

Sarah R. :bunny:

Tamara Croft
07-02-2006, 08:16 PM
I think it's fantastic how she has taken it all, she is a great mum in law, I couldn't wish for a nicer person :) I couldn't believe Tam told her, I got this txt message which just said 'I'm coming out to mum in 5 minutes' :eek: I sat there shaking, all sorts of things going through my mind, but I think deep down I knew it would be ok. I'm glad it was :bs:

uknowhoo
07-02-2006, 11:13 PM
How nice to hear from you again Tam, and what a lovely story to read as well. Thanks so much for sharing it with us. ;) We'll look forward to installment 2: "the pictures!" Take care. Hugs, Tammi

Jamie M
07-03-2006, 04:47 AM
hi tammy , great to see you back

reading your post struck a cord with me as my situation with my parents is almost identical . It's stated fact that they know ( or i should say knew ) as we had a few 'discussions' through my teenage years but it was never mentioned again and I'm now fully of the opinion that they have put it down to going through a puberty "phase".

Now i could live with this at the time, but now as time passes and i realise that if i hide this from my family , i am in fact hiding who i am i find myself thinking about correcting them . I don't know if the time is right for me yet , but the more i think about it , the more it seems the right thing to do , watch this space. I only hope that if/when i do it goes half as well for me as it did for you.

Bravo , girl

Wendy me
07-03-2006, 06:00 AM
Tammy wow veary cool don't you just hate it how mom's do that "i don't know what your talking abought" thing and make you sweat a bit ??? any way well done even if she knew allready ... i had no plans on telling my mom but she kept dropping hints and i was like doing the omg she knows then one day at lunch she came out and said you still wearing women's clouths??? i thought i was going to have a heart attack..... mom's are cool and your's sounds like a veary cool mom ....well done.......

AnnaMaria
07-03-2006, 06:20 AM
Tammy,

I am so glad that your mom was so cool with the whole thing. Believe me when I say having mom know about it makes a world of difference. I came out to my mom over a year ago and she has been completely awesome about the whole situation from the very start. She has helped me with clothes, makeup, and even with being able to go to the Be All last year and this year by keeping our kids for us while we went.

But, I have not told my dad as yet either but for much different reasons which I will not go into at this point but, what I will say about my parents is that they are both very liberal when it comes to the lifestyles of others. They are both of the mind that as long as the activity is not illegal a person should be allowed to do as they please with their own life. Just don’t try to get them involved in something that they are not interested in.

Anna

Angie G
07-03-2006, 06:48 AM
HI Tammy it nice the talk with mom went well it nice hot to be alone sounds like you have a great sis & mom.:hugs:
Angie G.

Angela Burke
07-03-2006, 06:57 AM
Letting your mum know about your CDing and
her being cool about it is great.
If you can't talk to your mum about something
who can you talk to?
My mum was supportive and always just
slightly amused!
I was just her boy who liked wearing a skirt.

Tamara Croft
07-05-2006, 08:14 PM
Maybe you should have named this 'coming out to mum in panties'.... they seem to get much more responses :rolleyes:

Anita Mae GG
07-05-2006, 09:19 PM
You know what....good for you. I wish all CDers have the courage you have. You are a great example of taking the closet door and flinging it open and being proud of it.

Your mum sounds like a great lady. You are lucky. Some mums would have a heart attack or something if they knew. You did a great job with handling yourself too amidst the denial phase from your mum during your conversation. Great job Tam. I am proud of you!

Kitty Sue
07-05-2006, 10:47 PM
Thanks for sharing. I hope all it works out for all of you.

GG Vanya
07-05-2006, 11:09 PM
OK, so Enquiring minds wanna know! :D Tamara WAS Tammy wearing panties for the occasion?

BTW, Tammy, Moms ARE great more often than not, on the CD confessions. Mom's love is unconditional.

I'm sure you feel like a ton of bricks just lifted off your shoulders!

Cherry Lynn
07-05-2006, 11:18 PM
BTW, Tammy, Moms ARE great more often than not, on the CD confessions. Mom's love is unconditional.
!
Not all moms, Vanya. Mine had major problems when she learned I used my sister's tanning bed and shaved my legs. My sister advised against coming out to her, afraid it would cause her to have a heart attack.

Marlena Dahlstrom
07-05-2006, 11:26 PM
Congratulations Tammy! I'm sure it feels like one less brick on your back.

Jean GG
07-06-2006, 12:28 AM
"What about the fact I like to wear womens clothes?

Good for you!!! If she was worried, it was indeed best that you showed sensitivity and relieved her worries BUT the big PLUS is that you know your mom loves you no matter what...!

After I accidently discovering my husbands cd...he told me of his NEED vs. like! Is there a difference??? I think I know the answer BUT I thought I would ask just the same :) jean

KrazyKat
07-06-2006, 01:38 AM
Tammy, I so happy this has turned out so well for you!! :happy:

I'm hoping this helps you to become closer to your MUM!!

You know, Dads can be more understanding than we give them credit for??!! Aren't a lot of you, "DADS" misunderstood sometimes??
Just a thought.
I mention this because my DAD was asking me at a second hand store, this weekend, how these bright pink ladies jeans would look on him?!! I think he meant it, and I told him, they'd probably look just great!! GypsyKaren and I had to look at each other and wink!!
:love: Kat

janelle
07-06-2006, 06:29 AM
Congrates Tammy, it looks like alot of us girls are turning to our moms. I wish you the best of luck. Take care dear.
:hugs: ,Janelle

Tracy Lynn
07-06-2006, 08:54 AM
Way to go Tammy. You must feel tons better now that she is accepting. Great news.

BethGG
07-06-2006, 10:22 AM
Congrats :D That's great you were able to come out and tell her about yourself!! Very admirable :)

One question though, where you said: "We agreed my dad would probably not understand the whole, ‘dressing up in womens clothes issue’, so I guess he's not a CD after all, still not totally sure on that one though."

You thought your dad was a CD? Tell us more!!

Sophia Rearen
07-06-2006, 10:29 AM
Great story Tammy. Seems as if you didn't need to tell her. So, exactly, why did you? What did you hope to gain from this admission?

I had the chance to tell my mother. In a conversation, I said, "so what if I was a crossdresser?" Her reply, "oh no, you wouldn't want to be that". End of conversation.

Sandra
07-06-2006, 10:52 AM
Good for you Tammy, it must have been a great weight off your shoulders, your mum sounds like one in a million.

Kimberly
07-06-2006, 03:51 PM
Mums are great!! And congratulations on bringing it out in the open between you two.

I told both my parents at the same time -- and you're right, generally, about fathers. My father doesn't really understand my desire, and will never come to terms with it. My mother, however, just seems sympathetic and has offered help... advice on general (she's a nurse and is concerned about tucking and furtility), occassional washing, ever some of her clothes! ("I don't wear it any more!" ... "No, mum, it's fine. I don't need it.")

Well done you. :) xx

DonnaT
07-06-2006, 06:16 PM
Good for you Tammy!

told my mother last year and she's been totally accepting.