PDA

View Full Version : I have a family again

LauraB
11-28-2004, 07:31 PM
Hi all

Let me first off thank everyone for the great advice offered in my last thread (fathers)

Many, Many thanks Girls though I tried to hide it I was more than a little nervous to see my Dad again after so long, it was not just the time that had passed but also I was not sure what he wanted to see me for. Your support and advice meant I was able to go to my families’ home and be sure of myself. I am not normally given to self-doubt but today I was suffering in no small way.

However i had no need to worry, my entire family were there on mass and they were all wearing big smiles on their faces that greeted me when I walked into the living room

dad asked me to sit with him in the dinning room alone which caused me some apprehension. However he told me that he loved me and that he was sorry for the hurt he must have caused me over the years. He then went on to tell me about my Uncle Jeff, my father’s youngest brother. I never knew him he died before I was born. He told me that he had been gay and his shame at being gay forced out of his family. My father said he spent years looking for him and when he found him he was already dead. Then he cried buckets more tears than I have ever seen a man cry. More tears than I had ever expected to see my Dad cry. He apologised again and said that deep down inside he thought he would come looking for me to find that I had passed away without knowing that he was proud of me and that he loved me. We were both crying now and spent much of the rest of the day that way as well. We hugged and dad kissed me the same way he kisses my sister. (The first kiss that I had ever had of him). My mum joined us and she hugged and kissed me as well. Mum said that they had not forgiven me because I had done nothing that needed forgiveness. They hoped I would be able to forgive them. My dad called me LASS, which means he must accept me as a girl he would never call a man lass.

We had lunch together my Brother John, Debbie my Sister and Mum and Dad it was very pleasant (not the food my mum is the worst cook in the world) to be talking as if I had always been coming around to Sunday lunch. In some ways it was a bit of a baptism I belonged to them again and in my heart I am so happy that I do. I stayed with them until 9 PM UK time long after everyone else had left. Before I left (in a taxi I had, had too much to drink to drive) my dad gave me, my Grandmothers engagement ring and a gate bracelet that is old fashioned but very sweet. The ring is gorgeous I am wearing it now a bit loose but I will have it altered. He also gave me a cheque for £3000. Which is he said is the today’s equivalent of what he gave Debbie and John to buy a car with. I did not want to take this money I said I have a car but dad insisted that had I been at home he would have given me the cash then. I said I would buy a new computer with it my Dads computer puts mine to shame. (This is a man who thought candles were better than throwing a light switch) I told him I would have to get a girlie one in pink and silver He smiled and said Laura all computers are women think about it they breakdown at the least little thing, then sulk for ages yet in the morning they act like nothing happened.
I said but they don’t get headaches dad
No he said they bloody well give you one.

It all ended well and I will be expected to have Sunday lunch with them at least once a month. I suppose I can put up with my mums cooking once a month. There is one cloud on the horizon, they are coming to my flat for Lunch next Sunday. I have promised to cook Blue trout, which is Dad’s Favourite. I have never cooked this before but I know it has something to do with trout and vinegar and I am sure I have a recipe somewhere. The thing is they want to meet my boyfriend I have not told them that Nick is married. I think I should keep that quite for a while. Dad would have a blue fit and we might not speak for another 7 years.

Love and hugs to all
XXXXX

Laura
:o :o :o

Sandra H
11-28-2004, 07:48 PM
Hi Laura.

I am so pleased; these things can be very difficult. I am so pleased that things have worked out fine with you and your family; life is too short for rifts

I hope everything goes fine next week at your place. Don’t worry about your cooking, remember he has put up with your mums cooking for so long, yours will be just great LOL.

I would agree that it would be best to keep the fact that your boyfriend is married for the moment.

Once again congratulations, you did it girl. Take care and look after yourself.

Jenna1561
11-28-2004, 08:03 PM
Laura, I am so happy for you! Good luck with next week's dinner. I too, agree with keeping Nick's marital status a secret for now. Congratulations again.

Love,
Jenna

rachel_jean
11-28-2004, 08:22 PM
Great story and glad all went well.

Should set the stage for a nice holiday season.

Amanda Y
11-28-2004, 08:47 PM
Congrats Laura, Im so happy for both you and your family
hugz

sky0629
11-28-2004, 09:39 PM
i so happy for you i got a couple of tears. everyone loves a happy ending.
carry on lass

StephanieCD
11-28-2004, 09:58 PM
That's like something out of a movie... That's so great for you! As a story-reader, I'm proud of him for putting his own shit aside in order to love you again and proud of you for allowing him.

That's so... YAY!

I found this recipe online - seems to be a popular way to have it.
Truite Au Bleu (Blue Trout) (http://www.mega-zine.com/kitchen/fish_and_seafood/recipe197.html)

DonnaT
11-28-2004, 10:28 PM
Kind of hard to read, seemed to get blurry there a bit. No, wait, that was my eyes. Lovely, just lovely.

Stephanie Brooks
11-28-2004, 10:42 PM
Christmas came early to London this year. I am very happy for you Laura!!!!!!!

Chrissycd
11-28-2004, 10:46 PM
I used to cook at a Greek restaurant, so here's a suggestion, honey.
Buy a trout filet for each diner. Sprinkle olive oil on a piece of tin foil large enough to wrap a filet inside. Lay the filet onto the foil, skin down. Sprinkle white wine of your choice (a blush is good) over the filet. Sprinkle garlic powder next (it's strong, so go light). Add a pinch of thyme and oregano, and a bit of salt. Lay three slices of fresh lemon on top. Fold the foil up the sides of the filet so that it looks like a "U" if you look at it from one end. Wrap the tops of the foil onto each other but leave an air pocket between the fish and the foil. Fold up the ends of the foil. Now it should be totally enclosed in foil but puffed up. Prepare the other filets the same way. Preheat your oven to 350 and bake 15 minutes (depending on how thick the filet is). Basically, you are steaming the fish and letting the herbs, wine and lemon work their magic. BE CAREFUL when you remove it from the oven b/c the juices will be very hot inside AND when you pull the foil open, steam will pour out which can burn you if you are not quick. :)
This recipe never fails, sweetie. Your father sounds like a man who deserves the best. (SUGGETION: If you have your doubts, try this one night this week before he comes to visit. Then, you can serve it with confidence.) If you do, please let me know what he thought.
NOW FOR THE IMPORTANT BUSINESS: I am absolutely thrilled upon reading your story!!! :) What a relief and what a reward for both of you to be together again.
Hugs,
Chrissy

Bonnie-OR
11-28-2004, 10:57 PM
Laura, It is so great that you got all these things worked out. When my Dad passed away, there were so many things left unsaid it tears me up twenty years later. It is so important to keep a line of communication with loved ones, even if it means agreeing to disagree. Huggs to you and the family, Bonnie

Tristen Cox
11-28-2004, 11:10 PM
Laura I am so happy for you. That story got me teary, see my eyeliner running..*sniffle* I'm glad things worked out so well for you and yes good luck next Sunday. You've got a wonderful family. My best wishes for your future with them. *Big warm hugs* And yeah leave the part out about Nick being married for now ;) Have a great week, and thanks for sharing such an important event with us.

Love,
Tristen

racquel
11-28-2004, 11:35 PM
a family again.has a nice ring to it,you even recieved a nice family ring.i am so happy for you. :D

Wenda
11-28-2004, 11:35 PM
:) that is so great, Laura. don't you just love it when things work out!! luv, wenda.

Julie
11-29-2004, 02:25 AM
Laura, this is superb news after all that worrying prior to you going. The outcome exceeded everything that was muted in your original thread, I am extatic for you and wish you luck next week.

If you have no joy with the Blue Trout how will your dad feel about Cod & Chips from tha local take away. :D

JJ

Sharon
11-29-2004, 02:38 AM
This is wonderful to read Laura! I'm sure things turned out better than you ever dreamed they could. With a loving family behind you, there's nothing you can't achieve.

Lily_gg
11-29-2004, 02:57 AM
:D *hugs* Congrats honey!!! :D

Oh, and a little help on Chrissycd's trout recipe if you need it... Blush = rose wine; 350F = 175-180C, or Gas mark 4 :p

Stormgirl
11-29-2004, 07:46 AM
Grats on the good news,blook is thicker than water.

Rachel Ann
11-29-2004, 08:47 PM
Laura, you made me cry.

That is SO WONDERFUL. I'm sure that it took some effort on everyone's part to make this happen.

I agree that you don't want to hit them with a married bf just now. Maybe you can get a "beard"?

Love

IAMDONNA
11-29-2004, 09:40 PM
Laura
So glad to hear your news. All families should live and let live.

Hugs
Donna, IAM :) :)

Sweet Susan
11-30-2004, 01:04 AM
What a great story, Laura! Wow! It's like a fantasy. Amazing.

Marlene4a
11-30-2004, 02:40 AM
I agree with Susan. Great Story.

Fiona K
11-30-2004, 04:32 PM
Great news Laura,
Congratulations!
Fiona
xx

Krissi
11-30-2004, 05:28 PM
I'm soo happy to hear everything went well. I can't imagine the range of emotions that day brought you. Congrats on regaining the family. As for dinner this week, I agree about not telling about your bf, its way too early to go into things like that, not to mention there are a lot of real girls that bring home married bfs and don't tell dad about it. And as for the trout I'm not a big fish fan so I can't offer any tips there, but will echo the thought of fixing it for yourself a day or so before, just to make sure it tastes right. I did that last week before Thanksgiving myself.