PDA

View Full Version : trip to the MAC counter

EmilyM
07-03-2006, 11:55 PM
I just moved to South Carolina so on the way up several weeks ago I stopped at the MAC store in Atlanta. There were no other customers in the store at the time, but they filled up quickly and were very busy but discrete. I only bought a lipstick, lip liner, and a couple of shades of lip glass. Last week, I stopped in at the MAC counter in a department store to ask if they had something to help my sun burnt face. They were finishing a makeover on a GG (wow her eyes looked great) I waited until they finished and while checking out, I asked the MAC artist to help me with makeup. I explained that I was new and did not know how to do my makeup. She and the other artist put me together a fabulous collection of MAC products. I bought some of the basics such as some brushes, eye make-up, mascara, another shade of lip liner, lipstick and lip glass. One of the artist did a card for me showing me how to do my eyes.

Today, i went back to the MAC counter when the store opened and no one was there but the two of us. She pulled me to the side and matched my foundation to my skin tone and blush. I purchased the foundation, blush, more brushes, another shade of lip liner, lip stick, and lip glass. These MAC artist have been great to me and helped me tremendously. I hope that I can soon find a nail salon or spa to get a pedicure. My toes miss being red!

Tonight, I have practiced twice doing my face and it looks very good. I am amazed at what you can do with good products. I think that I am addicted to MAC now and cant wait til I get paid to buy more products. If these girls work on commision, they will love it when i walk in the door.

I cant wait to go out as Emily. Slowly, I am developing courage thanks to you girls. Sorry for the long post

Emily

Wenda
07-04-2006, 12:11 AM
Rats! only 2,500 miles away, and so close! Interesting, I noticed a SC license at the WalMart parking lot tonight. Not you? Champagne Jeep Cherokee??

JenniferMint
07-04-2006, 12:30 AM
What does MAC stand for?

Marlena Dahlstrom
07-04-2006, 01:13 AM
What does MAC stand for?

It's a brand of cosmetics, which both has good products and has a corporate policy of being t-friendly. More info about their products on their website. (http://www.maccosmetics.com/)

Deidra Cowen
07-04-2006, 09:56 AM
Emily I am gald you had such a good trip to the MAC store. If it was the one at Perimeter Mall I go there all the time...matter of fact I think last Tuesday evening I was in there getting powder and foundation. Would have been funny as heck to run into another Tgirl there, we missed each other.

Ms. Donna
07-04-2006, 10:39 AM
What does MAC stand for?
Make-up Art Cosmetics

Love & Stuff,
Donna

Joanie
07-04-2006, 01:00 PM
Welcome to our state. I am a little confused by your message, were all the MAC counters visited in Atlanta prior to moving here? Sounded like the first one was at Atlanta and then after you got here you visited some here. Glad to know they are helpful, I have talked to them on the phone some but since MAC doesn't have a separate store here like they do in Atlanta, I have never used them here as I don't want to be seen sitting out in a mall department store. Have used Merle Norman stores and they are very receptive and helpful with my makeup/makeover needs.

Jennaie
07-04-2006, 01:30 PM
I like the MAC products but the girl who did my makeup sadly did not know how to do a cd. She made me look like a drag queen, way too much!

I do think they sell a good product. My biggest problem with makeup is that I am a redhead or at least used to be and my skin tones are difficult to work with when it comes to makeup.

I would love to meet a redheaded makeup artist with my skintones. :happy:

Marla GG
07-04-2006, 08:37 PM
Loved your story, Emily. I hope it inspires some other girls to try MAC.

Personally, I have nothing but good things to say about MAC, both the products and the make-up artists I have dealt with. I am currently using MAC foundation primer, foundation, and eye makeup and it is some of the best stuff on the planet! Angel uses it too but has yet to go in for a makeover. However....

On my most recent visit to the MAC counter in our local suburban mall, I was getting advice on products and techniques for the look I wanted to wear at San Francisco Pride that weekend. The makeup artist (who was new to me, though I had met several of the other girls there) asked me all about Pride, who I was going with, and so on. I told her that I was going with my husband, who is a crossdresser. She seemed interested and asked me to bring pictures next time. :D So I don't think it will be long before Angel is in that makeover chair. Fun, fun, fun!

Love,
Marla xx

EricaCD
07-04-2006, 09:44 PM
Another MAC fan here. Nothing but positive experiences, including as recently as Saturday--with my wife! :) (The morbidly curious can hit my blog - link below - for more details.)

Jennaie - I have very fair complexion and slightly reddish hair and have never had a problem getting matched for color at MAC. That said, some of the staff there are more knowledgeable than others. And yes, they tend to like their makeup on the heavy side :) FYI, if you ever get to NYC, the MAC store in SoHo has a beautiful redhead on staff. She's a little less ruddy than you (at least based on your avatar) but probably close enough!

Erica

Katrina
07-05-2006, 03:20 PM
MAC rules! The staff at my local store has always been extra friendly to me. My SO even commented on it after we left that I was instantly accepted there - not even a raised eyebrow. My first experience there was with a girl who had only done one other CDer, but she was a willing student. Love them...in fact I think we are making a pilgrimage there tonight... :)

Ms. Donna
07-05-2006, 03:51 PM
FYI, if you ever get to NYC, the MAC store in SoHo has a beautiful redhead on staff.

The Soho store is fantastic - that and it's just down from Kate Spade. :)

Aside from being a great line, the MAC staff have got to be best with which to deal. I have yet to have a bad experience - ever. No one will 'bat an eyelash' whether you go as a guy, girl or whatever.

Can't recomend them enough.

Love & Stuff,
Donna

tekla west
07-05-2006, 04:01 PM
MAC has always been very good to us, for that reason alone they deserve our support. I'm move of a CoverGirl grrl myself, but MAC does sell good stuff, the people know what they are doing.

Womanatheart1
07-05-2006, 08:30 PM
Emily,
Glad you found MAC. Are they not great!!
I was a Clinique gal from day one. Gosh, how much I have spent with Clinique.
One day, I just happened to notice the energy of the MAC girls that the Clinique girls didnt. (I am a sucker for those that try harder) From the first day I timidly ventured to the MAC counter - each one has been wonderul. Last time I visited MAC, a clerk came out and gave me a hug since she has not seen me in a few months (I never got that from Clinique) I had my first makeover with MAC; the gal was as kind and understanding as she was beautiful. (She will eternally have a special place in my heart! My first makeover)
I have found the below to be outstanding:
* MAC Studio Fix Fluid SPF 15 is the greatest foundation to hide the beard.
* MAC Powerpoint eye pencil; I have not seen another product like that.
* MAC Blacktrack Fluidline puts on a bead of eyeliner better than anything.
* The powder products (blush's and eyeshadow's) all seem to blend colors better because they are power and applied with a brush vice creams.
I will keep an eye out for you at the MAC counter!
Love, Stephanie

Marlena Dahlstrom
07-05-2006, 11:13 PM
I like the MAC products but the girl who did my makeup sadly did not know how to do a cd. She made me look like a drag queen, way too much!

Sorry to hear you didn't have a good experience. As someone else said, some of the artists are experienced and some aren't. And some do tend toward the dramatic, which can look fun, but isn't terribly practical. Bottom-line though is you're the customer so just be clear and firm about what you want and if they suggest something that just doesn't work, you're under no obligation to buy.

BTW, I love the Fluidline eyeliner -- although I use "Dipdown," which is a chocolate color.

~Kelly~
07-06-2006, 12:58 AM
Emily, isn't that MAC store great? Like Deidra, I also go to that store for all my MAC needs. In fact I was there earlier tonight (spending more than I care to admit) But then again, I am a HUGE MAC fan. Pretty much use their products exclusively, from skin care to makeup to brushes (well, I do have a couple non-MAC brushes...LOL) You can't find a better company where the people are more than willing to help you out. Good customer service is one thing, but good customer service as well as very high quality products? That's a good combination.

KarenEdwards
07-06-2006, 11:26 AM
Hi, Emily!
Welcome to South Carolina. It seems that there are quite a few of us here these days. Contrary to some stereotypes of the state, I think you will find it a friendly place in which to live. I haven't heard "Dueling Banjos" in quite a while...and we've got MAC counters, too!

Fallen Angel
07-06-2006, 11:46 AM
Im very happy with the mac store that i go to there well trained open minded and go the extra mile They also have a line just for men but you have to go online to shop it.From eye shadows to lipstic the only mac store from what the sales lady told me that carries the male make up line is in washington dc but check out there online store its super nice

renee k
07-06-2006, 12:06 PM
Hi All,
All my visits to the MAC counter at Marshall Fields have been wonderful. I've had a couple of makeovers, with great results. And I just love there products and there sales people. What more can I say!

Renee

Tommie Rae
09-13-2006, 03:21 PM
I went to the Clinique counter at Macy's in guy mode, told the young lady that I wanted something to either hide or smooth out my large pores. She was great, found a nice neutral base that didn't look like make-up (can't remember the name now) and she sold me some lip plumper, which really doesn't do all that much with thin guy lips. She didn't ask if I was a CD or used any kind of make-up, she just pleasantly did her job. Sales people really are out to help the customer, so go ahead and try it.

Caitlintgsd
09-13-2006, 03:26 PM
Uh oh, sounds like another shopaholic in the making. I've never tried MAC but have always heard wonderful things about their products. Everytime I get close to a MAC counter it's pretty busy so I usually just pass by. Probably a good thing. I should pass by all of the cosmetic counters for a while. I have boxes loaded with extra cosmetics I've purchased but not used.