PDA

View Full Version : feminine voice

typical_guy
07-04-2006, 12:45 PM
I've seen a lot about this elsewhere but have not picked up anything for sure. That video about the guy that went to San Fran seemed to do a good job sounded like a woman. I don't know how to do it. My voice isn't hugely deep but I would definately be interested in how to make it sound more feminine and high without sounding like a chartoon character.

Is anyone really good at it that can give me some advice/tips on how to do it?

NewbieCD
07-04-2006, 12:53 PM
Yes i would like the same tips as well LOL.

Brianna Lovely
07-04-2006, 12:59 PM
Here's a start, gurls, check out this link, hope it helps.
http://heartcorps.com/journeys/voice.htm

Carroll
07-04-2006, 01:15 PM
I tryied to find something, but I could not with my limited time. I remember seeing a piece on it somewhere in http://www.jenellerose.com/

For those that have never seen this site you are in for a real treat. This is a VERY LARGE site and well worth the reading.
Jenell has put a great deal of time here and I believe you will agree it is a great site

Carroll

MarinaTwelve200
07-04-2006, 01:25 PM
The primary trick, I have read about, is to do a Falseto voice and say a like, in immitation of the wicked witch of the west "Ill get you my pretty and your little dog too" or Julia Child=="Just heat, eat --Bon appitit"

You get the falseto as LOW PITCHED as you can go---and practice until you feel "something" "Move" or "shift" or "Click" in your throat----- and suddenly you have shifted the range of your voice into the female range.

Of course, you have to learn to do this at will , in an instant, and also remember that the female voice is more than just pitch---they use different rythims and words---etc., all that you have to LEARN. Also note that the FIRST time you manage to shift the voice register you will likely get STUCK for about an hour, but dont panic, it will straighten itself out on its own.
Eventually you will master the switch.--and the rest you can learn.

typical_guy
07-04-2006, 01:32 PM
Is anyone really good at it? I mean, do any of you know a MTF that actually sounds good? I want to dress up and go out but I have this fear that I'm going to look good but sound like a man. I'll practice it but do you know anyone that was able to succeed with it?

MarinaTwelve200
07-04-2006, 02:16 PM
Is anyone really good at it? I mean, do any of you know a MTF that actually sounds good? I want to dress up and go out but I have this fear that I'm going to look good but sound like a man. I'll practice it but do you know anyone that was able to succeed with it?

YES, I heard recordings on one of the websites---the one that I got this trick from----and SHE DOES sound like a woman

Janet_Johnson_cd
07-04-2006, 02:34 PM
Same here, i'm not that good with a girls voice.

Nicola46
07-04-2006, 02:54 PM
I would also love to be able to do the trick, practise makes perfect

NewbieCD
07-04-2006, 02:56 PM
That is all i can do i guess my voice is not to awfull deep and i have a high falseto do to signing but when i try my woman says i sound like a gay man got to work on that LOL :tongueout

Gaby
07-04-2006, 03:14 PM

That's a good question. However, you don't really need to sound 100% as, lets say, any actress you like, in order to have a "passable" voice. What would make your voice be passable? Usually, unless you have a really deep voice, if you start talking to somebody, he or she has most likely already decided if you are a man or a woman based in your how you look. (And the first impression goes for your general body shape hip/waist/shoulder ratio). If they have decided you look like a woman, and your voice is not too bad, they will assume that it is a woman's voice, while if they have already catalogued you as a guy, it is most likely that not even the sweetest voice will convince them otherwise.

Gaby

Sally24
07-04-2006, 10:17 PM
I've bought this video (DVD) and have been working off and on for several months.
http://www.deepstealth.com/store/ts_voice.htm
I have gotten better at raising the pitch but I'm still a long ways off from a "good" female voice. Listen to Andrea James' voice. She is a T/S and has an excellent voice. Hormones do nothing to change an established male voice so she has done this all on her own.

There are a number of DVD's on this and that would probably be the place to start.

Good Luck

Sally

Kate Simmons
07-05-2006, 06:05 AM
Think about Marylin Monroe. If you can talk breathy and sexy like her , you have it made. No one is going to really pay attention to your voice anyway if you talk like that, as their mind is elsewhere. My voice automatically softens when I'm Ericka. It's really not a conscious thing as far as I know. Anyway, it's not how you sound as much as the way you say it. Listen to women when they talk, they say things differently than men and are more emphatic. My biggest problem when I'm Ericka is that I talk so much, sometimes it's hard to shut me up. Goes with the territory I guess. LOL. Ericka

Stephanie Miller
07-05-2006, 11:16 AM
Yes, I feel your pain. When I go out it seems the only thing that makes me second guess myself is the voice. ( I've fooled myself long enough to believe I kind of pass 60% of the time :rolleyes: )
I've bought several dvd/tapes and the same thing happens every time. I practice - but to me, listening to myself the voice just doesn't do it. I play back on recorders, but it sound funny to me :eek: . ( Our own voices sound funny when we listen to ourselves anyway, even without trying to change it).
What I would like to find is a program for the computer that is easy to use, where I can have my wife or other GG talk into the mike then I can visually look at a "voice pattern" graph and try and duplicate as close as possible. I figure there might be variables such as tone or pitch, but maybe the program can compensate. Who knows, may not work - but I've always been a visual learner so I would like to at least try. Anyone ever hear of such a program? (reasonably priced of course)

Teresa Amina
07-05-2006, 12:04 PM
What I would like to find is a program for the computer that is easy to use, where I can have my wife or other GG talk into the mike then I can visually look at a "voice pattern" graph and try and duplicate as close as possible.

Take a look at www.deepstealth.com/store/ts_voice.htm . This one has a Spectrograph which might be what you're looking for.

tekla west
07-05-2006, 12:14 PM
I try to raise it a bit, make it more breathy and add a dash of a Southern accent. Seems to work OK.

JenniferMint
07-05-2006, 08:09 PM
The primary trick, I have read about, is to do a Falseto voice and say a like, in immitation of the wicked witch of the west "Ill get you my pretty and your little dog too" or Julia Child=="Just heat, eat --Bon appitit"

You get the falseto as LOW PITCHED as you can go---and practice until you feel "something" "Move" or "shift" or "Click" in your throat----- and suddenly you have shifted the range of your voice into the female range.

Of course, you have to learn to do this at will , in an instant, and also remember that the female voice is more than just pitch---they use different rythims and words---etc., all that you have to LEARN. Also note that the FIRST time you manage to shift the voice register you will likely get STUCK for about an hour, but dont panic, it will straighten itself out on its own.
Eventually you will master the switch.--and the rest you can learn.

I've been trying this out. I made some recordings of my "female voice" and showed them to my friends. Their reactions were mixed: One thought it sounded passably feminine, one thought it sounded like a high-pitched guy, and another said it sounded scary/inhuman.

If my voice didn't get "stuck", does it mean I'm doing it wrong?

Stephenie S
07-05-2006, 08:34 PM
Girls,

This is not something you can "pick up". It takes months and months of continuous practice. Compare it to learning a musical instrument or a foriegn language. Some have much better luck than others. Listen to Joe on that show where he is made over by the SF makeover service. He does OK, but if you listen to the last part of the tape, you will hear him as he practices that one line. He was being coached, and he had to learn only one thing to say.

That is a technique that might work for some. Learn phrases you will need, like "I'll have a glass of Chardonet", or "I'll just have a house salad". sort of thing. That will let you get by if you are with others who can pick up the slack. What ever you do will take practice, practice, practice. And as mentioned above, we all sound different and weird when we hear what we actually sound like on tape. Trying to sound female is twice as embarassing.

I have purchesed the courses that are offered on line, and can say from experience that results are not quick in comming. There are many clues besides high pitch which combine to let you sound female.

Lovies,
Stephenie

Wenda
07-05-2006, 11:00 PM
All of us have many voices, we just don't use them very frequently. I think Mel Blanc (Bugs Bunny, Elmer Fudd, Yosemite Sam, et al) had over 80 distinct voices. As the others have said, it is like learning a new language or how to play a musical intrument, it takes time and practice. Many of us have found that, besides shifting the tone, changing the accent helps. Wenda has a slightly mid-Atlantic (British/North American) accent. Her busty cousin, Polly Darton has a distinct southern accent. If you think of well known CD characters, like Robin Williams in Mrs Doubtfire, or Dustin Hoffman in Tootsie, or Flip Wilson as Geraldine, they all assumed a different accent from their normal male speaking voice.
My most comfortable male voice seems to originate in the centre of my throat, whereas my femme voices originate closer to the top of my throat. Wenda's voice has more 'breath', while Polly's is 'perky'. Does any of that make sense? I sing, talk etc, when I drive. As Marina said, something will 'click'. One time when I was driving in Wenda's voice for 45 minutes and returned to the office at the end of the day, I did shock some of the staff. Wrote it off as a Wizard of Oz event. (Oz is head Office) I am now working to find my best femme singing voice. not easy.

MarinaTwelve200
07-06-2006, 07:00 AM
I've been trying this out. I made some recordings of my "female voice" and showed them to my friends. Their reactions were mixed: One thought it sounded passably feminine, one thought it sounded like a high-pitched guy, and another said it sounded scary/inhuman.

If my voice didn't get "stuck", does it mean I'm doing it wrong?

I said MAY get stuck---I tought a friend this trick and HE sorta sounded like "Minnie Mouse" He DID get Stuck the first time for about 30 minutes. All of this is unpredictable but varies with the individual.

That you didnt get stuck and had ONE opinion that your voice was "passable" is a good sign---the other opinions suggest you only have the TONE right, the other fem characteristics, such as rythim, word choice, and intonation, etc. are what need work now---THATS why it sounds "weird". You are talking like a man with the wrong(for a man) octive/tinbre range---changing the voice is only the FIRST step.

Leslie16
07-06-2006, 01:19 PM
[QUOTE=Marina Twelve]The primary trick, I have read about, is to do a Falseto voice and say a like, in immitation of the wicked witch of the west "Ill get you my pretty and your little dog too" or Julia Child=="Just heat, eat --Bon appitit"

I've tried the wicked witch thing, but can't get it to stick. Been trying for months now! Does anyone know if this is something ANYONE can do, or is it imposssible with some people?

connie rotten
07-06-2006, 01:39 PM
I have a womans voice naturally.

Leslie16
07-06-2006, 04:44 PM
I have a womans voice naturally.

I hate you. :)

MarinaTwelve200
07-06-2006, 05:28 PM
[QUOTE=Marina Twelve]The primary trick, I have read about, is to do a Falseto voice and say a like, in immitation of the wicked witch of the west "Ill get you my pretty and your little dog too" or Julia Child=="Just heat, eat --Bon appitit"

I've tried the wicked witch thing, but can't get it to stick. Been trying for months now! Does anyone know if this is something ANYONE can do, or is it imposssible with some people?

By "STUCK" I mean unable to get out of the new voice mode---when it changes from falsetto to the new sound register mode. You SHOULDNT get STUCK, but be in control getting stuck is a HAZZARD not the objective. You are wanting to feel the whatever it is MOVE or "click" into place in your throat and give you the different voice---you DO NOT want to get stuck that way if you plan on returning to male mode later.

I DO suppose there are some variations on how this works from person to person

GINA-CD
07-06-2006, 10:37 PM
I try to practice while I'm driving (alone of course) and sometimes I even record myself.... I think it's useless... I have a deep voice and people tell me all the time that I should work in the radio because I have a profound tone...

I guess I'll have to practice more that falsetto thing.

Rachel Morley
07-06-2006, 10:58 PM
Apart from not being able to tuck (yet) :( this is the only other "thorn in my side" that I feel I need to focus on.

I have tried to sound like a woman and my wife thinks my femme voice is "not bad" (her words not mine). However, I think I sound like a rather too polite English woman who speaks kinda weird, or a completely camp gay guy. :(

I haven't given up just yet, but I am somewhat depressed that I can't seem to get it right.