PDA

View Full Version : In a predicament

Karren H
07-04-2006, 08:20 PM
So I’m in a quandary….. Have to go one of the mines in Virginia in a few weeks and I was planning to drive down and back enfemme, plus spend some time one evening dressed and probably shopping… My standard enfemme business trip. But the wife says today that I should take the son with me, since he needs the practice driving before he gets if permanent drivers license and we could go do guy things together. I said that I would see and left it at that.

So what do I do,

1) make up some small fib and let Karren have some fun

or

B) take the son and have some quality family time?

I think I know what I’m going to do but what would you do in this situation??

Love Karren

Adrienne Heels
07-04-2006, 08:21 PM
hate to say it.....but as a daddy too..B

Sharon
07-04-2006, 08:22 PM
Which is more important to you?

PS -- I hope the answer is your son.

toniloraine
07-04-2006, 08:25 PM
it sounds to me that karren gets out alot. if it were me i would take my son and have a blast. my boy is older and in the army in iraq. i would do anything to have him home and do guy stuff.

KELLYANN
07-04-2006, 08:27 PM
WELL KAREN, FOR ME IT WOULD BE, FAMILY FIRST!!! karen can always sneak in there somewhere along the way.

CharlaineCadence
07-04-2006, 08:31 PM
think about it hun you should put your fem side aside and take your son. besides any man can be a father, only a "woman" can be a daddy/mommie.

but really it sounds fun to beable to share time with your son

vcutenyc
07-04-2006, 08:33 PM
this is not meant to sound judgemental but i bet down the line you would look back and wish you had spent the time with your son.

veronica
07-04-2006, 08:38 PM
enjoy your son while you can

"CATS IN THE CRADLE"

Carroll
07-04-2006, 08:43 PM
I have to agree with everbody here. Spend some quilaty time with your son. It will give you 100% more enjoyment then dressing. Look at it this way...Karren will always be there, you son could be taken from you at any time. God forbid that to ever happen0.02

Carroll

bredalee25
07-04-2006, 08:50 PM
Take your son with you karren it won't be to much longer that he won't want dad to do anything with him. Once they get that drivers liscence it's pretty much a solo act for dad. No more guy stuff at least not til he out grows being indipendent and wants dad to do stuff again.

ttfn

Karinna
07-04-2006, 09:00 PM
Forget the son, anyway it's just your son. Illogical? I agree! It's how you feel inside that matter. Have quality time with the family, lucky you.

Francine
07-04-2006, 09:04 PM
Karen,
You say you're going to the mines in Virginia to work, but will your son be going to the mines with you? They may have regulations against allowing minors in the mine. That would possibly give you the "out" for plan 'A'.

But if that's not the problem, or he can "be alone while you work", and myself, being a father of 5, .. I would say 'B'.

Francine

GG Vanya
07-04-2006, 09:12 PM
Do these words look familiar to ya Karren? :happy:

Family first.....Karren is low on the food chain around here. But on the other hand it doesn't mean that I want to dress less often. Just that work, family and ice hockey...ohhh and sleep...take up a lot of time right now!!! So I jump at the chance to dress when and where I can.

That's from a post you made on the "reality check" thread.

Heeeere's your answer! :D

Jodi
07-04-2006, 09:13 PM
Francine, If they don't allow "minors" in the mine, who digs the coal?:tongueout

Karren, Enjoy every moment with your son while you can. You can dress the rest of your life.

Jodi

steffie39
07-04-2006, 09:25 PM
Hi Karen,

Deep down in a perfect world we would all love to dress but we must always make time for our wife (and/or kids if we have them). There will always be time to dress but family time is precious too. I say take your son.

Steffie

Cherry Lynn
07-04-2006, 09:32 PM
I agree with everybody else, spend the time with your son.

BlueKat
07-04-2006, 09:34 PM
B) That's exactly what you should do.

Put the heels on the shelf awhile... :rolleyes:

Billijo49504
07-04-2006, 09:56 PM
Karen, I wished I would have had a son to spend time with. I had 3 girls, and it was fun raising them, but it would have been nice to have a boy..0.02 ..BJ

lawnmanmo
07-04-2006, 10:00 PM
So I’m in a quandary….. Have to go one of the mines in Virginia in a few weeks and I was planning to drive down and back enfemme, plus spend some time one evening dressed and probably shopping… My standard enfemme business trip. But the wife says today that I should take the son with me, since he needs the practice driving before he gets if permanent drivers license and we could go do guy things together. I said that I would see and left it at that.

So what do I do,

or

Love Karren
Dear Karren
YES, do the RIGHT THING and that is take your son. Time with your children is precious and supersedes everything EVEN Karren.

Jerry

Charleen
07-04-2006, 10:10 PM
Hi darling. Of course everyone is right. The time you have with your son is limited. Yeah I know that they seem to be with us forever, but it's amazing how time flys! My son just moved out of the house to start his own life. Yet it seems like yesterday that I was taking a new baby home from the hospital. You know what? I'm sure that Karren is thrilled that you have this oppertunity and is looking forward to helping out on the trip even if she can not be physically there. Enjoy the adventure with youyr son, and believe me it is an advsnture to drive with them when they are just learning to drive!

SherryLynn GG
07-04-2006, 10:10 PM
I agree with everyone else, I think your son should come first...if there are regulations and you cant take him then thats fine, but if not id definately take him with you...dressing can wait

Jennaie
07-04-2006, 11:05 PM
Karren, I know you don't want to be singing "Cat's in the Cradle" in a few years, so... take him with.

Samantha_S
07-04-2006, 11:13 PM
enjoy your son while you can

"CATS IN THE CRADLE"
That is the most depressing song to me-story of my life as a working father.
Karren, put your wants aside and be with your son. You can never make up for lost time!

suchacutie
07-04-2006, 11:19 PM
One of the beautiful things about being able to walk on both sides of the street is that we CAN! A strong relationship with a child has no equivalent. Becoming Karen will be even sweeter the next time.

my :2c:

Tina

Barb Valentine
07-04-2006, 11:29 PM
Take your son and maybe after the driving lessons you can give him dressing Lessons (just kidding )
You'll do the right thing

avawho
07-04-2006, 11:31 PM
Well I can only speak for myself Karren, but it is a no brainer around here in my household, FAMILY always comes first... dad and Ava a distant second... There will always be other opportunities to dress, but time waits for nobody when it comes to the fleeting years of youth...

Cheers
Ava:happy:

Angie G
07-05-2006, 12:04 AM
Take your son time with him is more assential I'd put my boy before dressing and have.
Angie G.

tekla west
07-05-2006, 12:27 AM
Who am I to disagree, particularly when I taught both my boys to drive when they were about 12. (rual Iowa, different world) besides, what is the other option? Let your wife teach him???????????????? Some things should be left to the male parts.

Rickie
07-05-2006, 12:41 AM
I say (A) just kidding my veto is BBBBBBBBB

Billijo49504
07-05-2006, 12:56 AM
Hi Karen, It's BJ again, If you leave that boy home, you'll be on everbodies S list, so please don't disappoint us. Take your son with you. Even if you can't take him down in the mines. He can still wait for you at a motel. Then you two can have some time together. That is more important than gurl time. I was there for all 3 of my girls, but I wished I had a boy. Please don't disappoint me. We all look up to you. Do the right thing....BJ

FionaAlexis
07-05-2006, 02:24 AM
This is your typical tranny dilemma. Feeling guilty about not doin’ the right thing. Trouble is sometimes the right thing is the wrong thing.

I’ve seen the Goofy Movie.

If your teen son is anything like my teen daughter the last thing on Earth he wants to do is spend ‘quality' extended time with Dad driving around. If you take him you’ll be grumpy there and back – and he’ll be wishing he was hanging out with his grilfriend or mates. And – I’m not sure that this is the best way to get driving experience.

Do both of you a favour – knock it on the head – and work out an alternative.

Fiona xx

Lisa Golightly
07-05-2006, 02:43 AM
Do the Father Son thing.

Melora
07-05-2006, 02:53 AM
Dear Karren..This a no brainer .. Be a DAD, for you son..
Good luck, to you both! love ya!
Melora!

battybattybats
07-05-2006, 03:26 AM
Do the parent thing.

Then feel good about your worthy self-sacrifice and find a way to reward yourself appropriatly!

RachelDenise
07-05-2006, 04:44 AM
Easy answer and you already knew it! Go with your son. They grow up too fast and you'd give all you could to spend time with him if he wasn't there.

DanaJ
07-05-2006, 05:05 AM
Why was this thread even started? You have said in post after post here that family comes first, and now you have to start a thread to ask us what you should do?? Really - even asking this shows that you are having a hard time controling your CDing....

Emeralddragon
07-05-2006, 05:15 AM
Does everyone not get it? She isnt asking what she should do because she is obviously gonna bring her son along. She is trying to make us think about how we would act under the same circumstances. Since i dont have kids i cant really comment but Im sure id take my kid. I just gotta learn to drive myself first :P

Brianna Lovely
07-05-2006, 05:28 AM
Karren, why not do both? giggle
Share the driving, then check into your motel. Change into Karren and take your son out to dinner.

Ok, I'm ducking now!

Kate Simmons
07-05-2006, 05:51 AM
Bite the bullet Karr. Enjoy having your Son with you. I know you have quality time with your kids but believe me, before you know it they've grown and flown. My oldest is 31 and my youngest is 24. I'm a granny and it just ain't the same. Enjoy 'em while they are there, I say. Ericka

Wendy me
07-05-2006, 06:36 AM
wow i would have never posted that at all ....omg like you have to ask abought this choise??? I love my Wendy time for shure .... my sons are grown and on their own ... and even now thay still want to spend time with their dad ....and thats a good thing .... and i love to do things with them ....

to be shure the day i have to even think abought Wendy time or time with my sons ....... that would be the day that i would lock Wendy away for good ....

now if your realy honest abought this you need to step back and take a good look at all this and rethink abought what you are doing and were you are going ......

and if you made this thread up "just to see how people would respond" shame on you do you realy need to be the center of the class that bad??????????

Tina Dixon
07-05-2006, 06:41 AM
A no brainer here take the boy with you.

Karren H
07-05-2006, 06:46 AM
wow i would have never posted that at all ....omg like you have to ask abought this choise??? I love my Wendy time for shure .... my sons are grown and on their own ... and even now thay still want to spend time with their dad ....and thats a good thing .... and i love to do things with them ....

to be shure the day i have to even think abought Wendy time or time with my sons ....... that would be the day that i would lock Wendy away for good ....

now if your realy honest abought this you need to step back and take a good look at all this and rethink abought what you are doing and were you are going ......

and if you made this thread up "just to see how people would respond" shame on you do you realy need to be the center of the class that bad??????????

Hmmmmm.....Now I have no reason to do that, Wendy......I'll email you pics of the trip if you like?

But I'm surprised at the lopsidedness here and I did say that I thought I knew what I was going to do and I do side with the Family First group.... Always have and always will.. Just wanted to see where the pack trended..

And since my son just installed a set of 1000 watt subwoofers in his car, I'll probably be deaf by the time I return from the trip!!! LOL

Love Karren

Toni
07-05-2006, 06:46 AM
Hi Karen,
Does your son REALLY want to do this or is it just your missus arranging things for you? If he really wants to go then you don't have a choice, in a few years he won't be wanting to do anything with you. He'll have a family of his own and they will come first and quite rightly so.

susann_gardener
07-05-2006, 06:56 AM
Well, Karren,
As a father with a son headed to Iraq and a daughter on the opposite coast, I would take the time with your son. Life is just too short to miss these special times.
Susann

Veronica E. Scott
07-05-2006, 07:05 AM
Karren, Just wanted to see where the pack trended..(Quote)

You are so bad,hope your panties pinch your little bum.

Hope you really enjoyed your time with your boy times goes by so quickly one day babies next thing they are bringing there kids over to spend time with the old folks.

Karren H
07-05-2006, 07:07 AM
Hi Karen,
Does your son REALLY want to do this or is it just your missus arranging things for you? If he really wants to go then you don't have a choice, in a few years he won't be wanting to do anything with you. He'll have a family of his own and they will come first and quite rightly so.

He actually wants to go....he still remembers the mine trip to Mousie,KY 3 years ago. And he still wonders why all the schools have barbed wire around them? Keep criminals out or students in? Hehehe. I don't know that one either.

Love Karren

cute_cd_paige
07-05-2006, 07:11 AM
I would say take your son with ya hun u also have to look at it from his point of view that your job isnt the safest one out there he may have some fears that could possibly be put to rest by talking to him about your work during your time spent with him

Karren H
07-05-2006, 07:21 AM
Why was this thread even started? You have said in post after post here that family comes first, and now you have to start a thread to ask us what you should do?? Really - even asking this shows that you are having a hard time controling your CDing....

Well I thought it was an appropriate question to pose, to see how everyone felt. Had already made up my mind to take my son, no brainer! I actually thought it not be so lopsided but then again maybe the ones that would dress didn't post after they saw the trend. And maybe I'm just stupid to ask or maybe it was the polyeurothane fumes....spent the 4th refinishing our old oak floors, or both. Lol. Guess if I was that out of control I'd be out dressing instead of working around the house. Hehehe

Love Karren

FionaAlexis
07-05-2006, 07:22 AM
I just love this sort of glib forum advice and the automatic conclusion without any further information that there is only one right and proper option.

Fiona xx

Anita Mae GG
07-05-2006, 07:25 AM
Thank you Dana!!!
When I first read this thread I was STEAMED! How selfish to contemplate picking CDing over your own child. To have to even ASK what you should do Karren is disturbing to me. NOTHING should take presidence over your OWN CHILDREN........NOTHING. I'm sure Karren will live just fine by staying home this time and letting the boy go with you.

You now say you had already made up your mind before starting this thread? Then why start it? To stir up a hornets nest? I don't get it!

Wendy me
07-05-2006, 07:39 AM
Karren no need for pitchures........ no need for proof ....... no need for anything at all .... we are who we are that simple ........ for some the need to have the light shine brightly is every thing .... and thats all good ... that's all fine.... the only thing some one realy needs is to be happy in who thay are ..... no need for any thing .... this is me.....

FionaAlexis
07-05-2006, 07:41 AM
Thank you Dana!!!
NOTHING should take presidence over your OWN CHILDREN........NOTHING.

Tamm, I'm afraid that parents regularly make decisions in their own interest, take actions or just do stuff that takes precedence over their own children.

Fiona xx

BlueKat
07-05-2006, 08:11 AM
Karren, why not do both? giggle
Share the driving, then check into your motel. Change into Karren and take your son out to dinner.Ok, I'm ducking now!
Yeah...you need to duck, because that was a dumb, dumb, comment. :straightface:

BlueKat
07-05-2006, 08:15 AM
I just love this sort of glib forum advice and the automatic conclusion without any further information that there is only one right and proper option.
In this particular case, there is only ONE option. :straightface:

psdibe
07-05-2006, 08:41 AM
I would take my son with out a dought. I hope that the choice you where going to make was the same, just my opinion.
Hugs
PD

Wombat
07-05-2006, 08:45 AM
Karen, three pages of posts and no-one has asked the most important question - what size dress does your son wear?

Wombat

think about it. Karen's no dill.

Phoebe Reece
07-05-2006, 09:22 AM
Karren, you would have stirred folks up a bit less if you had worded your initial post a little differently. If, as you said, family comes first for you and you really intended to take your son along all along it would have been better to finish up your initial post with:
"I know what I plan to do in this case. What would you girls on the forum do in similar circumstances?"
That would have made it clear you just wanted to see the trend of thought on the subject and were not truly looking for advice on what to do.

FionaAlexis
07-05-2006, 09:37 AM
In this particular case, there is only ONE option. :straightface:

That's because you, and just about everyone else, is focussing on the emotive 'crossdressing versus family time' issue rather than the purpose of the trip.

Fiona xx

Sharon
07-05-2006, 09:42 AM
That's because you, and just about everyone else, is focussing on the emotive 'crossdressing versus family time' issue rather than the purpose of the trip.

Fiona xx

S*** happens in life and sometimes we just have to decide what's more important -- being selfish and brushing off your child or appreciate the fact that there are only a limited number of days when we can share time with them before they set out onto their own lives.

It's a no brainer.

Anita Mae GG
07-05-2006, 10:11 AM

Fiona xx
The PURPOSE of the trip is BUSINESS! Everything else is OPTIONAL. But the question is does Karren want to utilize the time to dress or spend time with her child...............

tekla west
07-05-2006, 12:27 PM
1000 watt subs??? I hope he brings all his rap music with him, he he he.

I have a NWA board tape that will make ears bleed in the car next to you, perhaps I should file share it with him.

Karren H
07-05-2006, 12:48 PM
Karren, you would have stirred folks up a bit less if you had worded your initial post a little differently. If, as you said, family comes first for you and you really intended to take your son along all along it would have been better to finish up your initial post with:
"I know what I plan to do in this case. What would you girls on the forum do in similar circumstances?"
That would have made it clear you just wanted to see the trend of thought on the subject and were not truly looking for advice on what to do.

Good point, Phoebe. But then again engineers have never been good at comunicating. The question was what would someone else do.. I was already planning on taking him.

So I'm stupid...

Love Karren

Tina Dixon
07-05-2006, 12:51 PM
Hey you got every one all fired up:D I love it:thumbsup:

Emeralddragon
07-05-2006, 12:55 PM
Personally i dont see what all the confusion was over. It was obvious what Karren wanted to do and that she was only asking what others would do themselves. Still at least everyone is calming down a tad now. I was gonna put on some easy listening to calm down the mood but i dont think i need to now. Thank god. i hate that stuff. i'll stick on my Xzibit albums instead. Yay rap music.

Lotte L
07-05-2006, 01:00 PM
Dear Karen,

Quality time with your son is priceless. When I'm in the USA some time we might make a girly quality trip. Love you for being naughty.

Lotte:heehee:

BlueKat
07-05-2006, 01:25 PM
Family should come FIRST over CD-ing every single time.
If you disagree with this, get your priorities straight. End of Discussion. :straightface:

tekla west
07-05-2006, 01:41 PM
If the reason for the trip is business, then that leads to the question of what you do with the kid when your down the mine shaft. I'm sure they don't let minors mix with miners - the insurance risk is huge.

And I think that Karren was just sort of asking a general question, since I'm sure the mind was made up before the post was made. She seems level headed enough for someone who types on her Blackberry (which a lot of my friends call a "CrackBerry") at 70 MPH and then goes down mine shafts. I'm sure she has this one called right, no matter what her call was.

Tamara Croft
07-05-2006, 02:04 PM
So what do I do,

or

Love KarrenNotice the bits in bold? Karren did ask the question because she 'thinks' she knows what to do about it..... then asked another question what you would do. Sorry, but I see 2 different questions here, the first one 'so what do I do', sounds like you already decided by telling your wife 'we'll see', if you wanted to spend quality time with him, you would have said yes and never asked that question on the board in the first place. The second question, was you hoping to ease your conscience? hoping a few would say 'go as Karen' ??

Emeralddragon
07-05-2006, 02:09 PM
Actually the questions and way t was said were most likely intended to place that element of doubt in our minds so we might question ourselves a bit more. Also the whole we'll see thing should be considered a little more. After all it has been asked what would Karren do with her son while there. Perhaps the whole we'll see that was said to Karrens wife was more likely meant as a sure once i check that he will have something to do.

Kimberley
07-05-2006, 02:12 PM
Uhhhh. You take a child on a business trip??? Does your employer condone this sort of thing? Is he covered by insurance???? Think again.

Driving lessons? Take him out on the weekend and go where he is going to encounter multiple situations not point and go on an interstate.

Kimberley.

connie rotten
07-05-2006, 03:12 PM
Karen I have read enough of your posts to know you'll do the unselfish thing.You may question this in your mind, but I am sure it is settled in your heart.
Is this a trick question for you to size us up with. I ask because this seems so unlike you. Can you tell I idolize you:love:

Anita Mae GG
07-05-2006, 03:22 PM
Tamm, I'm afraid that parents regularly make decisions in their own interest, take actions or just do stuff that takes precedence over their own children.

Fiona xx
Well they are then selfish....regardless of cding or not.

FionaAlexis
07-05-2006, 05:33 PM
The PURPOSE of the trip is BUSINESS! Everything else is OPTIONAL. But the question is does Karren want to utilize the time to dress or spend time with her child...............

Yes, that’s right.

Presumably ‘business’ which means that a significant part of the trip time will be devoted to work and possibly the son will left alone for that time. Is this what you all call ‘quality’ time? Also it's not a simple choice between 'me time' and 'family time'.

I don’t know if there are any corporate or insurance issues about being driven around on a business by your learner driver son?

The secondary purpose of the trip is driving supervision and even driving instruction. I don’t know enough about Karren or the son to say whether or not that is a good idea. Karren may be a brilliant at it – patient, confident etc. etc. Or she may be like my own father quite capable of teaching umpteen friends to drive – but nervous, anxious and impatient when instructing his own child.

Being driven by a learner requires far more concentration than being driven around by an experienced driver. I don’t know the distances involved and I don’t know how the driving will be shared or what distractions will come into play.

So I don’t think I’m in a position to say which option is appropriate. But ‘B’ is the safest.

If all parents put there children first then there would be no day care, no after school care, no need for baby sitters or boarding schools. And that great US institution the summer camp – would be a big question mark.

If parents put their children first then I doubt they would never move house to another area and divorce between parents would not exist and any family law legislation would be much simpler than it is.

Fiona xx

randi_789
07-05-2006, 05:34 PM
They grow old too fast. I am a father of two who have left the nest with one having left the state and now lives a four hour flight away. Sure I can dress a lot more now with the house empty during the day except for the summer, BUT I would sacrifice Miranda in a second if I could have my child home or even closer to me so I could spend more time together. Don't let it go by without taking the time to spend it together. Please don't. It is just too precious a gift.

CarmenG
07-05-2006, 05:39 PM
something so simple, yet so complicated........
by the way, what is your son going to be doing while you take care of business? crossdressing??????

BlueKat
07-05-2006, 05:40 PM
Presumably ‘business’ which means that a significant part of the trip time will be devoted to work and possibly the son will left alone for that time. Is this what you all call ‘quality’ time?
Give the kid a dvd player for a couple of hours. No big deal.

If all parents put there children first then there would be no day care, no after school care, no need for baby sitters or boarding schools. And that great US institution the summer camp – would be a big question mark.
I'm wondering why the hell you're trying to turn something this simple into rocket science? GEEEEEESH! It's a done deal. Karen is taking the kid along. Get over it! :tongueout

Dee 1062
07-05-2006, 06:16 PM
Take the son and have some quality family time?
If you don't he may not have time for you someday...You'll be'll sorry.For crying out loud...Take your son !!!!

Rickie
07-05-2006, 06:17 PM
What I did when on a trip with my dad. When he went to work I lived in the pool or watch Television.

"I think I know what I’m going to do but what would you do in this situation??"

Let rewrite this.

I think I know what I'm going to do.

What would you do in this situation?

A statement then a question.

Let me tell you from past the trips with my dad is some of the most fondest memories I have.

Joy Carter
07-05-2006, 06:25 PM
Be A dad first he won't soon forget you for it. I took my son on a sixteen hundred mile round trip once and It was none stop drove one truck up and turned around and brought the other back. He talked about it for days.:D Thirty hours plus on the road I slept for days after wards !:o LOL

GG Vanya
07-05-2006, 07:04 PM
Yes, that’s right.

Presumably ‘business’ which means that a significant part of the trip time will be devoted to work and possibly the son will left alone for that time. Is this what you all call ‘quality’ time? Also it's not a simple choice between 'me time' and 'family time'.

Fiona xx

Karren has proven by her many posts about her varied business trips, that there is plenty of *non* business time. This is evidenced by her many picture albums posted while on, and after these business trips. I'd dare say there will be plenty of *down* time to spend with the son.

I was thinking about this thread a bit ago, and wondered whose idea it was initially for the son to go. Mom's or the son? It's quite possible, if it was Mom's idea primarily, that she may be getting an inkling of the amount of time you're spending dressed on these trips Karren, and perhaps is suggesting your son go as a way to curb it??

Anita Mae GG
07-05-2006, 07:11 PM

If parents put their children first then I doubt they would never move house to another area and divorce between parents would not exist and any family law legislation would be much simpler than it is.

Fiona xx
OMG get a clue. Daycare and camp etc are in place to provide money to FEED the CHILDREN through working for a living. Not everyone is independently wealthy.

Karren is the one who ASKED WHAT SHE SHOULD DO so therefore she is getting her answer. As far as it being business and not having time for the kid...she seems to have plenty of time to dress as Karren so there is time right there to spend with her son.
IF Karren ALREADY knew what she wanted then why did she bother with the thread in the first place. What other people would "hypothetically" do in her shoes is irrelevent at best.

Just seems to be strring up the pot if you ask me

annekathleen
07-05-2006, 07:32 PM
FAMILY FIRST!!!

Then secondly, endulge your fantasies!!!!

tekla west
07-05-2006, 07:47 PM
Wow Vanya, that is kinda paranoid. I wonder why you would even suggest that to Karren? And if the wife suspected, then I think it would be the LAST place to send the kid. After all if Karren keeps it in the hotel and not at the house, ain't that better? And that "non" business time, seems to be at night if you look at the pics and observe the details.

I always took it that when my ex wanted me to take the boys it was because she wanted some peace and quite. And, if he needs to learn to drive, then driving is the only way to do it. It ain't a textbook deal.

I take it by working Karren is putting her family first. Lots of jobs are not very family friendly, and taking your kid to work is not always an option. After all, if the company wanted you to have kids you could get them on the same form you order pens and paper on.

And.... What happens if something happens? What happens to that kid if something goes way wrong while Karren is down in the mine? (and anything going wrong in a mine is going to be way wrong.) That is something she must - and I'm sure she had - considered also.
Aside from it being against the OHSA standards, the company rules and all that, one big problem with taking my kids to work with me is that I was not done till 3/4 am for the most part. That seemed like a bit much for a 15 year old. It should go without saying that there were other reasons not to let a 15 year old hang out backstage with rock bands.

Melissa Jane Martin
07-05-2006, 07:57 PM
Hi Karen,

I just went through this with my son. Driving for him was quite a challenge. I thought with all of the video games he had played he would just be a quick study with driving but it was tough. Funny thing, my wife was always making similar suggestions for me to take him when she would not even get in the same car with him!

I can see both sides. Take him and he gets some good quality Dad time and driving time. Of course, you need your away time as well. Guess I am not being too much help here. A few good hours on the road at home would help him I am sure. I guess I say take him. I remmember my Dad taking me on the road several times with him. They are only young once!

Melissa Jane

GG Vanya
07-05-2006, 10:55 PM
Wow Vanya, that is kinda paranoid. I wonder why you would even suggest that to Karren? And if the wife suspected, then I think it would be the LAST place to send the kid. After all if Karren keeps it in the hotel and not at the house, ain't that better? And that "non" business time, seems to be at night if you look at the pics and observe the details.

I always took it that when my ex wanted me to take the boys it was because she wanted some peace and quite. And, if he needs to learn to drive, then driving is the only way to do it. It ain't a textbook deal.

I take it by working Karren is putting her family first. Lots of jobs are not very family friendly, and taking your kid to work is not always an option. After all, if the company wanted you to have kids you could get them on the same form you order pens and paper on.

And.... What happens if something happens? What happens to that kid if something goes way wrong while Karren is down in the mine? (and anything going wrong in a mine is going to be way wrong.) That is something she must - and I'm sure she had - considered also.
Aside from it being against the OHSA standards, the company rules and all that, one big problem with taking my kids to work with me is that I was not done till 3/4 am for the most part. That seemed like a bit much for a 15 year old. It should go without saying that there were other reasons not to let a 15 year old hang out backstage with rock bands.

LOL, *paranoid*? I suggested, nor did I intend, nothing of the sort. It simply IS a possibility. IF you will take the time to re-read what I said you will find that I specifically asked the circumstances surrounding the suggestion that Karren's son go along for the trip. Let's all face it here, we're adults, yes? If a woman is married to a CD, and she's not "comfortable" with it, she wouldn't be human if she didn't wonder what hubby's doing on those (in Karren's case) frequent trips. I also think the wife would have enough faith in hubby to trust that he wouldn't dress in front of the son. SHEESH!
I dunno though, after reading some of these responses, I wonder if that faith would be misplaced with a few.

As far as the son going along, Karren has already stated she has brought him along before. I'm sure, being as careful as she is about other things (aside from "blackberrying" at 70 MPH of course) she has already checked to see what the employer's position is on this matter.

I have to disagree with you on Karren's dressing being at night. I've seen quite a few of her in daylight. The cute pink capris picture comes to mind. And besides, what does dressing at night have to do with the price of eggs in China?

I don't think ANYone has suggested taking her son INTO the mine with her. Let's face it, 15 year olds are into video games these days. I know when my sons travelled with me, they always packed up their PS2 along with plenty of games for hotel time. And as far as something happening to Karren while SHE is down in the mine, well, we could all get hit by a meteor waiting on a bus in the morning, or struck by a car while waiting at a red light.

I know about OSHA regulations. My employer is the big bad Federal Government. I am covered to and from work, as well as any other business I attend to which is withing the scope of my job description, while driving my private vehicle. IF I am to have a passenger with me, I have to get written approval prior.

I also understand your reasoning for not taking your child to rock concerts with you regarding the 3/4 AM work hours. But what does that have to do with Karren's situation? Karren doesn't do back stage work at concerts.

This entire thing has turned into the proverbial mountain/molehill. LOL now to accuse me of being or projecting Paranoia??? Alllllrighty then!

GG Vanya
07-05-2006, 11:57 PM
Fiona,

Just curious...do they not have summer camps in Australia?

Jean GG
07-06-2006, 12:05 AM

I am happy to see that most people here say that you should take the boy with you!!! Brilliant! But, what would you have done if they suggested otherwise? :) jean

FionaAlexis
07-06-2006, 12:07 AM
Fiona,

Just curious...do they not have summer camps in Australia?

Hi Vanya,

No, we don't. We do have school camps which are during the normal school term. Children start going to school camps at age 6/7 usually for no more than a weekend and often with a parent and building up to 1 week or 2 week adventure type camp at age 12 or beyond.

Of course, our summer school holidays are over the Christmas/New Year period when most go on extended family holidays anyway.

Fiona xx

GG Vanya
07-06-2006, 12:17 AM
Fiona,

What a shame.. some of my greatest times as a child was at summer camps.

Do you have Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts there?

FionaAlexis
07-06-2006, 12:36 AM
Fiona,

What a shame.. some of my greatest times as a child was at summer camps.

Do you have Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts there?

I'm glad you have good memories. Yes we have Scouts but they are not as popular as they were in earlier decades.

We are a fairly sports oriented society and kids are more likely to get involved in sports, particularly team sports, and have trips with their team. Surf Life Saving Clubs are also popular and my daughter was involved in the local club until recently. I don't think Aussie kids suffer from a lack of opportunity for outdoor activity or adventure.

Fiona xx

Deborah
07-06-2006, 12:39 AM
It still amazes me the questions that get asked here. No wonder i'm on my way out.

tekla west
07-06-2006, 01:01 AM
Hey without questions, who would know anything? And, given a range of opinions you will allways find something to agree with, and something to disagree with. Just like real life. Understanding is always worth the time.

Forum Admin
07-06-2006, 01:34 AM
Thread is closed.