PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Shopping for Girls = easier?

SatinSarah
11-30-2004, 03:24 AM
Hi,

As the Christmas shopping hots up I find the courage to pop into London and shop for make up, underwear and look round women's clothes shops. I did my first trip last night and rushed home (alone) to try on my new purchases and just had to share the experience. I will try and add a few pics tonight when I get the chance.

I just find that at this time of year nobody gives a man looking round the underwear a secone glance. There were quite a few men looking around and its easy to blend in.

I know from reading about all of you great girls that I should have the courage just to shop anyway, but for various reasons its best that I don't let other people know - even strangers.

I came back with some great buys - a new dress, a red satin basque, some new jewellery, and some fantastic glossy lipstick.

Just had to share my experience. Do other girls feel braver at this time of year or do I have an irrational fear for the rest of the time?

Sandra H
11-30-2004, 03:39 AM
Hi Sarah.

I agree that you feel less worried about getting funny looks when buying underclothes etc this time of the year. In fact the shop assistants go out of their way to help. As I get older, I can tend to buy clothing at anytime because for some reason the young girls serving in a store think, “he must be shopping for his wife as an old man would never buy those things for himself”. (Little do they know)? But at least age has its advantages LOL.

Years ago, I would do a big buy at Christmas so I would buy dozens of panties, several bras etc. and give them to myself throughout the year.

AnnaMaria
11-30-2004, 09:33 AM
I thing that for most of us there is an ease of tension when shopping st the holidays. I personally went last week and bought myself a new pair of black stretch jeans at walmart. I first went to kmart to shop and found ofter picking out a couple pair and trying them on that they were not what I was looking for and dicided to try somewhere else. Then I went to walmart and picked out a couple pair and tried them on. I didn't even cross my mind that I was trying on girls jeans. It just felt natural to find jeans that felt comfy and fit well no matter what the size tag said.But I don't think that I could have done it if not for the fact that everyone is shopping for the holidays right now and it is a great time to test the waters and get more comfortable with the idea of shopping in public for what I really want to wear.

anna

Vallari
11-30-2004, 01:45 PM
Yeah Ill admit, Christmas time helps out when it comes to shopping. WalMart has a bunch of great prices on things like make-up kits and hair dryers, etc now because of Christmas. Buying femme stuff doesnt really bug me - I can do it any time of year. I guess I like Christmas season more for the deals and bargains on things. There is a downside though to the holidays - too much traffic and overcrowded stores! :o

Krissi
11-30-2004, 02:08 PM
Not only Christmas, but Valentines day, can't forget about it as a chance to stroll through the ladies section, especially the Lingere Dept!

SatinSarah
11-30-2004, 07:07 PM
Just wanted to add a photo of my new fishnet tights from my shopping trip. I will add a few more if I can!

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/satinsarah6/detail?.dir=7606&.dnm=4f18.jpg&.src=ph

Sharon
11-30-2004, 10:20 PM
Just wanted to add a photo of my new fishnet tights from my shopping trip. I will add a few more if I can!

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/satinsarah6/detail?.dir=7606&.dnm=4f18.jpg&.src=ph

Just beautiful Sarah!

Are you able to catch sharks in those nets? ;)

Julie
12-01-2004, 02:22 AM
Very nice picture Sarah.

Sharon, I love your new avatar.

JJ

Miss Patty
12-01-2004, 09:33 AM
I agree that this time of year is a great time to relax and shop. I find thought that as I go out intending to shop for my wife, I always end up finding something for myself. So far the count is up tp 3 bras and 2 panties. The season is just starting!

Patty

Wendy me
12-01-2004, 10:07 AM
you can realy jump right in bring some measurements with you and tell the sales girls what you are looking for and thay will help you out ..if you need help with anything this is the time to go shopping

Amelie
12-01-2004, 10:09 AM
I have a question? I read a lot on this forum of fear in shopping for women's clothes. Now, I can understand why Cds from Texas or Alabama would have a fear, it is just dangerous. What I don't understand is the CDs from the UK having this problem. I was always under the impression that the UK was more advanced socially than Texas, but from what I read here, it doesn't seem like it.
Is it really a problem for a man to buy women's clothes in the UK? I would have thought at least the cities in the UK would be like the cities in the US, where no one really cared about who shopped for what.

I live in Baltimore, and have no problems shopping, I just thought the UK would be easier than Baltimore, more liberal minded.
Just Curious
Love Amelie

Wendy me
12-01-2004, 10:19 AM
amelie on you side of the pond like you i never had trouble shopping i think most get scared and think every one is watching them and when thay do buy something thay feel like thay "got away "with it free your mind from being parioned and start shopping like you belong in the stores thay do't have rules you can't shop .............

Sharon
12-01-2004, 12:01 PM
I used to wait all year for Christmas to arrive so I could feel comfortable in women's shops, taking my time and holding up one item to compare with another. Then, two months later I would do it again for Valentine's.
February to late November were excruciating though, too self-conscious to hit the stores. I'm glad those days are over!

SatinSarah
12-01-2004, 05:32 PM
Amelie,

In one sense I am sure you are right. I am not sure people care too much in the shops. In fact as I bought some fishnet stockings the male assistant said have a fun evening! The problem is with me. I am not sure I want everybody to know about my CDing (its is not that liberal here in the UK).. and even though I am hoping assistanets think it is for my wife I know its for me and I'm sure my guilt is all over my face. I also take the opportunity to look round all womens wear shops and this looks a little more intruiguing. It is all my fault at being a nervous closet CDer

Another pic or two from the latest purchases

Photo (http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/satinsarah6/detail?.dir=/7606&.dnm=196e.jpg&.src=ph)

Photo 2 (http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/satinsarah6/detail?.dir=/7606&.dnm=d856.jpg&.src=ph)

Amelie
12-01-2004, 06:32 PM
Sarah, I guess fem shoppping has to be looked at on a personal level. I just find it strange that there are so many UK girls in the closet or sort of in the closet. I live in a hell-hole neighborhood, but I can still go out at night in fem. I would have thought with the Punks, Boy George and his crowd, that the UK would be used to CDs. I wonder what Cding is like in France, is it just as closeted or more open, Any one from france out there, we need you to answer. I am off French heritage so we will be friendly to you. Lol

Now Sarah, Wow,, Those are lovely photos. I like your taste, The red one with the black boots are smashing(That's UK talk).
You don't stay home looking like this, tell me,, you must be going out dressed like this. You look wonderful.
Love Amelie

Laura Jane
12-01-2004, 06:55 PM
I have a question? I read a lot on this forum of fear in shopping for women's clothes. Now, I can understand why Cds from Texas or Alabama would have a fear, it is just dangerous. What I don't understand is the CDs from the UK having this problem. I was always under the impression that the UK was more advanced socially than Texas, but from what I read here, it doesn't seem like it.

Is it really a problem for a man to buy women's clothes in the UK? I would have thought at least the cities in the UK would be like the cities in the US, where no one really cared about who shopped for what.

I live in Baltimore, and have no problems shopping, I just thought the UK would be easier than Baltimore, more liberal minded.
Just Curious

Sarah, I guess fem shoppping has to be looked at on a personal level. I just find it strange that there are so many UK girls in the closet or sort of in the closet. I live in a hell-hole neighborhood, but I can still go out at night in fem. I would have thought with the Punks, Boy George and his crowd, that the UK would be used to CDs. I wonder what Cding is like in France, is it just as closeted or more open, Any one from france out there, we need you to answer. I am off French heritage so we will be friendly to you. Lol

Now Sarah, Wow,, Those are lovely photos. I like your taste, The red one with the black boots are smashing(That's UK talk).
You don't stay home looking like this, tell me,, you must be going out dressed like this. You look wonderful.
Love Amelie

Amelie,

I suspect us 'Brits' are less afraid of pysical danger and more scared of the 'smart remark', someone causing a Monty Python type scene (Check out girl rings the bell and asking the supervisor how much for the 20 Denier Stockings etc loud enough for the whole store to hear and a huge crowd gathering to discuss the price, before someone accuses you of buying them for yourself and then your mum appearing and crying) or worse still being spotted by a friend of the family and knowing you are busted, just not when the s hits the fan. It seems strange, a nation of 60m, but the UK really is a small place and you bump into people you know all the time (esp with the UK being a less car orientated place).

My own personal nightmare was being caught buying some 'female' beauty products from a supermarket a little to close to home, when they changed check out 'girls' and my next door neighbour who knows my mum took over. There was no chance of escape as my stuff was all laid out on the conveyor belt!

BTW I agree with you Amelie, Sarah looks far too good in that Velvety red dress to spending the night in alone!

windycissy
12-01-2004, 07:06 PM
Christmas is great cover for shopping for an outfit for that special someone, and Valentine's Day is the best for lingerie. As for buying wigs, you can't beat Halloween.

But...once you get yourself fitted out, it is so much easier to shop en femme! If you're lucky enough to be passable, there is nothing like wandering through the aisles of a department store, holding a skirt or dress up against yourself in the mirror, and taking a potential winner into the changing room to try it on.

As for being passable: I am convinced that most of us are, so long as we dress appropriately for our size and age, and don't act nervous like we're wanted criminals. Easier said than done, I'll grant you, but practice makes perfect, as in all things. The first time is definitely the hardest! Ask Windy (http://snurl.com/askwindy)

Trinity_cat
12-01-2004, 07:47 PM
Christmas and Valentines day are the easiest times to shop,
but still, my heart is thumping and my bladder feels on the brink of explotion and I'm no yet through the shop door.
This is just me I guess.
And if you didn't know, I'm in the UK too.

The UK population will never understand CD's

SatinSarah
12-11-2004, 05:40 AM

Love Amelie

Amelie,

You are too kind for words. I'm afraid I haven't plucked up courage to go out dressed yet. I look at myself in the mirror and see me - not sarah - and get afraid of being read. I look at some of my photos and I htink I could do ok...Honestly I am really trying to learn my make up and dress sense so that soon I will pluck up the courage and take those first little steps. (I have been plucking up courage for 20 years!) Soon though. It is getting close. I can tell.

love.

Val Tan
12-11-2004, 08:26 AM
Amelie,
It seems strange, a nation of 60m, but the UK really is a small place and you bump into people you know all the time
omg! then i'm in trouble! singapore has a population of... gasp... 4.2m!! :D

Bernadina
12-11-2004, 11:57 AM

Just Curious
Love Amelie

I think its a personal thing. I find shopping in the UK as a Cd very comfortable. They don't seem to give hoot if a man is browsing the lingerie section of Mark and Spencers or British Home Stores etc. And the prices and styles are great.

I've shopped in Hull, York, and London with no problems at all. However, asking a women to put her cigarette out in a non-smoking bus in Yorkshire almost got me killed.

I always come back a with suitcase full of skirts, nighties etc.

I do agree that shopping at home at Christmas (and Valentines) is whole lot more comfortable than at other times of the year. I just get in the lineup at the Sears lingerie checkout behind the 20 other men (who are probably shopping for themselves as well.)

A friends daughter used to work in one of the mall boutique lingerie stores. She said it was easy to spot the men who were buying for themselves. They alway bought a whole lot more than the men buying for their wives. And the store loved the extra sales. They estimated over 50% of their revenues came from men.

Rhonda Callahan
12-11-2004, 12:45 PM
I totally agree that it is much easier to shop this time of year, as well as, at Valentine's Day, but, often :rolleyes: when I go shopping, I'll buy a birthday card , like for my neice, or sister, with the femme items. The only comments I've gotten are, how lovely, or how nice, that you don't mind buying such personal items for her. I always carry on about how I got the sizes, so why not? It relieves my embarrassment. Then I've got the card already, and am more likely to remember B.D.s and such, sort of kill 2 birds.

Sara Kat
12-11-2004, 02:00 PM
You definatly have to go shopping in Victoria's Secret now. After that oh-so-hot commercial they have to TV, who wouldn't! :p