PDA

View Full Version : Wig to Dye For?

Karren H
07-07-2006, 04:42 PM
So I'm waiting for my perscription and walk into the hair color isle, next to the makeup isle :D. And I wonder, has anyone ever dyed their wig a different color? I'm rethinking this blonde thing and thought it would be cheaper to color it than by a new one. All human hair, maybe go to a bright red or dark auburn? So if you have, what did you use? And how did it turn out? Did the color last? Don't really want to ruin it but might be kind of fun!

Love Karren

jennig
07-07-2006, 04:53 PM
hi karen I have not done this myself but I had my human hair wig colored at the salon with on problem.
hugs jennig0.02

renee k
07-07-2006, 05:01 PM
Hi Karren,

In answer to your question yes I did, and yes it was human hair. Tried to go from black to a light brown and wound up with PURPLE! After that little mistake. I took it to my hair dresser, who corrected the problem. Moral of the story. Let someone who's a professional, do it, and not someone who's stayed at a Holiday Inn Express.

Huggs, Renee

Karren H
07-07-2006, 06:27 PM
Hi Karren,

In answer to your question yes I did, and yes it was human hair. Tried to go from black to a light brown and wound up with PURPLE! After that little mistake. I took it to my hair dresser, who corrected the problem. Moral of the story. Let someone who's a professional, do it, and not someone who's stayed at a Holiday Inn Express.

Huggs, Renee

Well I do love those Holiday inn bonus points but I'm kind of a do it your self girl soooooo..... plus I figured that going from light to darker shouldn't be as problematice as the reverse? Engineers logic....

Love Karren

SherryLynn GG
07-07-2006, 06:41 PM
Ive never colored a wig but speaking from experience from dying my own hair for several years and family members who dye their hair...Get a professional to do it...even going from light to dark you can ruin the wig/hair....My mom tried going from blonde to red herself and it turned bright orange, my aunt tried to go from blonde to auburn and it turned bright pink.....So I think I would reconsider dying it yourself....0.02

Tracy_Victoria
07-07-2006, 07:02 PM
Hi Karren

you can dye Human hair wigs, you can't dye Syntehetics or fibres! ie the fibres don't take on the dye such as real human hair does, so it just doesn't colour.

I've heard of people lightening there HH wigs with some success, but never heard of anyone dying from a dark shade to light shade with success.

Remember that although the wig is human hair, it is not alive like real hair is at the root, therefore any damage yo do to real hair has some chance of repairing inself from within, that will not happen with a wig, and the only option for a well damaged wig, is the round filing cabnet in the corner!

Personally by a fibre blonde wig, or borrow one, see if it you, or get the blonde bug out of your system, then if you what to go blonde, buy a HH blonde one, over dying one of your own, as once damaged you can't go back to the point you where at before. then you down two wigs, ie the good one you ruined and the blonde one you will still want to buy?

my 0.02

Good luck!

Billijo49504
07-07-2006, 11:33 PM
Hi Karen, I've never tried dyeing a wig, but I do remember the blonde pictures. I think you look better with dark hair. If you're afraid, use the stuff that washes out. Go for it, be brave,,,BJ

jo_ann
07-07-2006, 11:50 PM
punks that dye their hair weird colors (purple, pink, blue, etc.) actually bleach their hair white first, then color it.. Think about it, clean white pallet, then color.. makes sense. I'm doubting this would work on synthetic fibers though.

Tracy_Victoria
07-08-2006, 04:25 AM
I'm doubting this would work on synthetic fibers though.

As I said above, most will not take dye, the strands are made the colours then made in to wigs, not made in to wigs and then dyed.

Can I dye my wig?

No, the ammonia and peroxide found in hair dyes will ruin the synthetic fibres.

http://www.h4hair.co.uk/faq.htm