PDA

View Full Version : Wigs and ponytails

Jenni
07-08-2006, 04:52 PM
Well, I'm almost ready to spend yet more money on a wig, probably a straight hair type. I've always wanted to wear my hair up in a ponytail, and want to know if anyone else has ever tried it with a wig. Preferably, I'd gather it up in a pink scrunchie, but I can also pull it out the back of a cute ball cap if need be.

Any thoughts?

jen

lisa92268
07-08-2006, 05:00 PM
Pony tails are not difficult to wear. Just pull back and put in the scrunchy. Looks pretty sexy when the pony tail is long and loosely pulled back.

windycissy
07-08-2006, 05:34 PM
I do it all the time, it's my favorite summer look with a scrunchie and a matching visor. Make sure to have some bobby pins on hand to keep the shorter strands in place. I even go swimming like this sometimes. Windy

Kimberly
07-08-2006, 06:01 PM
with a scrunchie and a matching visor.
:eek:

<ON TOPIC EDIT> I'm so happy I've got long hair. :D Pity it'll fall out in a few years!

EricaCD
07-08-2006, 06:16 PM
You will find this works best with a wig that is quite straight and not too thick. Also, you will have some difficulty in most cases with getting a ponytail to sit higher up on the back of the skull - it'll work better if you collect the hair just a couple inches above the nape of the neck. Personally I find that a wig with bangs will avoid the vexing questions about what to do with the hair line at the forehead.

You will still have to deal with sideburns. I usually let a lock of hair "fall" from the ponytail right at the side of the head, so that it partly obscures the sideburn. It will take a few other tricks of this sort, but with some patience you can definitely get it to work!

Good luck!
Erica

Deidra Cowen
07-08-2006, 06:21 PM
I just did a ponytail for the first time last week. Its feels great but its tough to cover those sideburns! I like the idea of the ponytail pulled out the back of a cap too that you have. That really looks cute on girls.

Here is a very goofy pic of it...

Kimberly
07-08-2006, 06:31 PM
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d23/kimberlycd/ponytail001.jpg

Had to add it! :)
(All my own hair!!)

MarieTS
07-09-2006, 02:26 AM
You may wish to consider buying a ponytail extension!

Tracy_Victoria
07-09-2006, 03:26 AM
Due to the way wigs are made, it is imposable to do a high ponytail like Kimberly shows in her photo above (as she notes this is her real hair!). This is down to the way a wig is made, and thats totally different to the way real hair grows from the human head.

if you look at all of the above pictures there all loose ponytails, which basically just tie the hair at the back of the head, but as has been mentioned when you do this some wigs reveal the sides of your temple and show your real hair. so your in a lose/lose situation unless you have a wig that does not do this.

if you have longer hair, you can add a piece, some of theres look very realistic if done well, however there are semi wigs called toppers which are made for people with hair lose, these lay over the patch and then are blended with the real hair, with these you can with the right ones make a high pony tail, as they use the topper hair for the length and you own hair is mixed is as well, but you need again long hair at the back of the head to mix in and upwards to the topper!

however these thing are best professionally fitted, but look amazing when done!

http://www.fekewigs.com/wig_pro_top-ptw.html

hilarygirl
07-09-2006, 03:31 AM
I've done a ponytail on my long blonde wig. I've also done a small ponytail on the side in front that just gets some of the hair while the rest hangs straight. I've also done a braid like this.. where the braid hangs on the side of my face and the rest of the hair is straight.

I've seen some wigs that come already in a ponytail but I've never tried one.

Love, Hilary

Elena Ambasce
07-09-2006, 05:11 AM
You will still have to deal with sideburns.

I've found the best way to deal with sideburns is just not to have them in the first place. I've shaved them all the way up to where a woman's hair growth ends. Unless you normally have some monster mutton chops, nobody is going to notice a thing. Men these days will often go from full beard to none to a goatee to whatever, I've noticed, and a little adjustment like this over a weekend is going to be totally invisible unless you've been keeping your hairline exactly the same for decades. So unless you're going for an extreme ponytail such as a Croydon facelift and your wig is a very different color than your natural hair, shouldn't be much of a problem...

Due to the way wigs are made, it is imposable to do a high ponytail like Kimberly shows in her photo above (as she notes this is her real hair!). This is down to the way a wig is made, and thats totally different to the way real hair grows from the human head.

Remember not all wigs are created equal. With a cheap wig where all the hairs are rooted together in the top of the scalp, this is correct. However, for the better 100% monofilament wigs, the hairs are rooted individually, and you may find some where the rooting is distributed far enough down in the back to make this feasible...

I've only got one wig, and it's one of the cheap costume wigs (Incognito by Henry Margu, China Doll model I think, paid something like $30 for it online) so I can't say for sure... if anyone has a wig that they can verify is constructed suitably for this kind of styling, please pass the info along!

Calliope
07-09-2006, 07:15 AM
Had to add it! :)
(All my own hair!!)

Lovely!

With real (long) hair, one is always 'dressed' whatever the outfit.

Han
07-09-2006, 07:38 AM
<ON TOPIC EDIT> I'm so happy I've got long hair. :D Pity it'll fall out in a few years!

Same boat. :( I have ace hair that women have told me they would die for. However, I also have my SO's wardrobe which she has several wigs. She enjoys dressing up as much as I do :D

Remember to scrunchie high.

jo_ann
07-10-2006, 06:02 PM
putting a full length wig into a ponytail isnt' an easy task since it's not really attached.. you could do it loosely, but certainly not like you'd want. However, the 3/4 wigs (basically a very full ponytail with a pair of springy banana clips) work great if you have medium length hair (which I usually don't have in the summertime for sweating reasons).. but these really do work well with moderate length hair (just have to slick your hair back enough to make it look like it's being pulled by the ponytail), and then I usually comb a little bit of bangs forward.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Medium-Brown-Wavy-Clip-On-Hair-Piece-Wig-T608-4T30_W0QQitemZ290005464345QQihZ019QQcategoryZ60188 QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

GG Vanya
07-10-2006, 06:46 PM
OK, where the heck is Sherlyn when ya need her....are she and Di out running the roads again? LOL

She pulls off the wig/ponytail look VERY well as shown in her pictures...

YOOOOO HOOOOO....where are ya girl?

Tina Dixon
07-10-2006, 07:28 PM
I had my wig since Feburary, just can't seem to get it in a pony tail, but I think im just afraid of messing with it.

Dee 1062
07-10-2006, 09:51 PM
Love those ponytails...YOU CAN DO IT !

Bobbie cd
07-11-2006, 12:21 AM
I have to say, I really love having my hair up in a high ponytail. It just feels natural and helps keep my neck cooler.
I have worn my hair long since college and have no plans to cut it, ever!

Tracy_Victoria
07-11-2006, 11:19 AM
Remember not all wigs are created equal. With a cheap wig where all the hairs are rooted together in the top of the scalp, this is correct. However, for the better 100% monofilament wigs, the hairs are rooted individually, and you may find some where the rooting is distributed far enough down in the back to make this feasible...

I've only got one wig, and it's one of the cheap costume wigs (Incognito by Henry Margu, China Doll model I think, paid something like $30 for it online) so I can't say for sure... if anyone has a wig that they can verify is constructed suitably for this kind of styling, please pass the info along!

Sadly most wigs are made the same, it built up in layers of wefts that overlap to create total covarage of the wearers head/hair, Ie the wig pictued below, you can see how this is done. (This is a Noriko wig, which are the mid range priced wigs of the rene of paris range) ie gallery, Noriko, Rene of Paris, Amore, and then the Amore human hair wig range.)

the main difference to this is a mono top, where the hairs are implanted in to a different, noramlly a skin type looking base to give the impression of hair growing, out of this to give the visual impression of growing hair. Mono top wigs normally have these patches at the front, sides or crown, to enable the wearer to present the image of real hair in normal visible places, and these normally can be combed in a direction of choice.

To create a full wig, that could give the illusion of real hair, and be able to do a full high pony tail, and not just a tie back look. the wig would need to be custom made, to fit the user perfect, it would need to be a full cap monotop, so that you could pull the hair right up at the back to create the affect, it would probably also need to be glued to the used, ie like a lace front wig, as the cap would lift under the tension of the pull, and hairclips would show. as you can imagine a wig to create the illusion and custom made would cost a small fortune!

Tracy_Victoria
07-11-2006, 11:27 AM
three pictures of a monotop wig, this is a Amore Stevie, you can see how the construction differs, but the backs of the wigs ar the same.