PDA

View Full Version : Removing nail polish .. panic!

flicka
12-01-2004, 04:31 PM
My partner painted my nails the other day. When it came time to remove I simply could not erase the telltale pink line around the edges! Then I hit upon the idea of a toothbrush dipped in acetone. Eureka!

Tamara Croft
12-01-2004, 04:54 PM
Hiya Flicka

Do you put a base coat polish on your nails before you apply the polish???? You should put that on the protect the nails from the polish. It also helps prevent stains on your nails from the polish that you use. :)

You can also get a cotton wool bud and soak that in nail polish remover and wipe around the edges of the nails. The trick is not to get it in there in the first place. You should always leave a little gap around the nail.

Best way of removing polish is to soak a cotton wool pad in the remover and hold over the nail for about 15 - 30 seconds. Then wipe off. You can get nail polish remover pens for those edges too. :) I think I got mine from Avon...works a treat.

Tamara x

Paula A
12-01-2004, 05:26 PM
Just remember to get a new tooth brush. Yuck!
After I use a cotton Ball to remove the polish I use a cotton swab to get it out if the tight areas and scratches in the nail.
Afcter that I use a good hand soap to wash the residue from off of the tips of my fingers. The kind you would use to wash off the grease after working on the car.
Reminds me of once I did my nails at the office on a saturday and forgot to bring remover with me, I ended up using denatured alcahol from the shop so I could go home, I was a wreck untill I found something to remove it.

DanaJ
12-01-2004, 05:58 PM
I second Tamara-GG's advice. I remove professionally applied nail polish (base coat, two color coats and a top coat) at once or twice per week. The trick I have found (and as Tamara says) is don't soak your cotton ball with too much remover (pure acetone is better though). If you don't soak the cotton ball, just moisten it, the diluted nail polish will not flow all around the cuticles.

And again, as Tamara says, always use a base coat, especially with red or blue polishes...

DanaJ

P.S. ...and glitter polishes are a real bitch to remove!

Hiya Flicka

Do you put a base coat polish on your nails before you apply the polish???? You should put that on the protect the nails from the polish. It also helps prevent stains on your nails from the polish that you use. :)

You can also get a cotton wool bud and soak that in nail polish remover and wipe around the edges of the nails. The trick is not to get it in there in the first place. You should always leave a little gap around the nail.

Best way of removing polish is to soak a cotton wool pad in the remover and hold over the nail for about 15 - 30 seconds. Then wipe off. You can get nail polish remover pens for those edges too. :) I think I got mine from Avon...works a treat.

Tamara x

Sharon
12-01-2004, 06:02 PM
Listen to Dana. If anyone knows nails, she does! :)

I second Tamara-GG's advice. I remove professionally applied nail polish (base coat, two color coats and a top coat) at once or twice per week. The trick I have found (and as Tamara says) is don't soak your cotton ball with too much remover (pure acetone is better though). If you don't soak the cotton ball, just moisten it, the diluted nail polish will not flow all around the cuticles.

And again, as Tamara says, always use a base coat, especially with red or blue polishes...

DanaJ

P.S. ...and glitter polishes are a real bitch to remove!

Tamara Croft
12-01-2004, 08:35 PM
Glitter polishes are the worst :( You find glitter in your hair and neck and all over your clothes for a few days after you took the damn stuff off :( My favourite colours are pinks and purples. I do love wearing red tho.... that's when I can keep my nails long enough to paint them!!

I learnt all my tricks from 2 years of training as a Beauty Therapist :)

Tamara x

Bernadina
12-01-2004, 10:29 PM
My partner painted my nails the other day. When it came time to remove I simply could not erase the telltale pink line around the edges! Then I hit upon the idea of a toothbrush dipped in acetone. Eureka!
The brutal approach. Acetone will dissolve the toothbrush too. Its also toxic and explosive. Use with great care.

I've found some natural and oil based nail polish removers that works slower than the highly volatile solvents. Since that are not so volatile, the polish stays softer longer and can be wiped off including the edges.

We also use the solvent based actone free removers in the dip and twirl containers. They seem to help with edge removal also.

And while we were in the UK last month, we found a product called Quickies for Nails. These are an oil/solvent based wipe that does a great job of removing polish including the edges. And it doesn' t smell bad like a lot of the solvents. Haven't seen it in Canada though.

DonnaT
12-02-2004, 12:27 AM
The worst, I've found is RED polish. It simply wants to stain everything. So definitely use a base coat when applying red polish.

Polish remover is acetone based, but also has moisturizers in it.

I use acetone in my shop all the time, and you have to be careful with it. And yes I've used it to remove polish too, especially red.

However, acetone itself will dry your nails out, so if you do use it make sure to moisturize the nails real good.

Tamara Croft
12-02-2004, 12:57 AM
The only thing I use acetone for is removing false nails....... you should see what that stuff does to them!!!!!!!

The nail screams........ I'm melting...... melting....... :(

I use acetone free nail polish remover or these oily based wipes from Tesco's.

Like Donna suggests always use a hand cream after using products on your nails as they will damage the nail plate.

Tamara x

Lily_gg
12-02-2004, 05:56 AM
Acetone is very evil to the nails :mad: Like Donna says, get a really good moisturiser - either rub your hand cream right across your nails & cuticles, or get a dedicated nail & cuticle moisturiser - The Body Shop do a fab nail & cuticle serum, in a tiny bottle - you only need one big fat drop for all ten nails though, has almond oil and stuff in - gorgeous! ;)

Leaving a gap between the edges and your polish is not only good for removal, but also makes your nail look longer and slimmer, which is also good (especially if you have less-than-delicate fingers!).

Oh, and dark polish stains? I've heard that rubbing a lemon slice across the nails can get the stains out - never tried it though, I use Cutex remover, and it's great :)