PDA

View Full Version : Wig Care

kathydsch
07-12-2006, 09:23 PM
For any of the girls with wigs, I have a question. How does a girl take care of her wig? What kind of shampoo do I need to use, conditioner. How do I style it?
Any help will be greatly appericated.

Kathy

Karren H
07-12-2006, 10:08 PM
Cleaning your wig
• Gently brush your wig thoroughly and turn inside out.
• Soak wig in lukewarm water with a small amount of wig shampoo or mild over the counter shampoo for 5 minutes. One tablespoon of baking soda may be added to water to eliminate hair spray collection and odors the wig accumulated.
• Swish gently. Do not rub.
• Rinse with plenty of cool water.
• Dissolve 1 tablespoon of conditioner in sinkful/panful of cool water and soak wig for 5 minutes. Rinse after soaking. Do not squeeze or wring.
• Turn wig back inside in and let drip dry on bathtub faucet, or wire/plastic wig stand or any stand that you have that is well aerated for fast drying.
• When the wig is completely dry, simply brush the wig into desired style.
The DO NOTS of wig care…
• Do not forcefully/excessively brush your wig - your wig will last longer if you refrain from doing this.
• Do not expose your wig to an excessive heat source: oven, radiator, barbecue grills, fireplaces, lit cigarettes, etc..
• Do not comb or brush wig when wet.
• Do not use curling irons or blow dryers on synthetic wigs.

Synthetics can't be styled, their style was set when they were made but should return when washed and air dried. Human hair wigs can be styled just like regular hair....curling iron and rollers...

Love Karren

Billijo49504
07-12-2006, 11:19 PM
I get my wig shampoo from Sally's Beauty Supply. The stuff works wonderful, and is not that expensive. the bottle I got last time had a extra amount...BJ

gwenrob43
07-13-2006, 12:18 AM
You can get all the necessary supplies from Paula Young Wigs: http://www.paulayoung.com Wire drying frames there too.

Love,
Gwen :love:

renee k
07-13-2006, 06:30 AM
I totally agree with Karren, on how to care for a wig. With a couple of additional tips. You can use Woolite as a substitute for wig shampoo. Two, you can dry set a synthetic wig with rollers, for more curl or body wave. After the wig is completely dry place rollers where desired, lightly spray with hair spray, leave rollers in for acouple of hours, remove and comb out.
My hair dresser, God love her!, spent some time with me awhile ago, showing me how to set a wig. I also recommend having your wig cut and styled to fit your face, along with getting it thinned out for a natural look.

Huggs, Renee

kathydsch
07-13-2006, 08:45 AM
Thanks for all the help. Now I feel I can wash my wig without ruinning it. Thanks

Kathy

Sandra
07-13-2006, 10:18 AM
I used woolite on Nigellas wig when she used them and it worked fine, only one problem I freaked out :eek: it looked like a drowned rat and I thought I'd done sommat wrong.