PDA

View Full Version : run in hose

peter wing
07-13-2006, 08:37 AM
I'm home buy my self should it matter? I know when I go out it does. I save the best for that. How about you?

kay_jessica
07-13-2006, 08:49 AM
I'm home buy my self should it matter? I know when I go out it does. I save the best for that. How about you?

Well for me, one sign of a run and in the bin they go. I wear very fine denier (7 or 10) so they catch and run easy. Its kinda expensive but i make sure I have several pairs availlable. Mind you one advantage of stockings and hold ups is that if you run one leg you can "steal" a replacement from another pair.

Win Der Mere
07-13-2006, 08:51 AM
What you buy in your own home, dear, depends upon who is selling it, and whether or not you want it.

Win.

Jill
07-13-2006, 01:55 PM
I hate runs and I can not wear a pair that has a run. Even if it's on the upper thigh or on the bottom of the foot, I still can't wear them because I know it's there. If they get a run, out they go. Just this morning I found a run in a great pair of silkies and was just irrate. I still have probably close to a hundred pairs of hose but was thinking that I need to buy some more, they seem to be dropping like flies.

Shelly Preston
07-13-2006, 02:18 PM
I hate runs

They have to go in the bin immediately.

I always have a spare pair available.

Ellie
07-13-2006, 02:34 PM
I can't stand a run in my hose either.

Unless of course they are covered up by my drab then a little run or two is okay.

McLegs
07-13-2006, 02:39 PM
I'm always at home & being somewhat of a cheapskate, I'll wear the hose run and all. I get as irratated as the next girl about a run, but I just have to put it out of my mind and enjoy the feeling of being dressed. Because of some really rough skin on my heels, the hose almost always run from the heel up the back of the leg. Out of sight, Out of mind; I guess.

Hugs,
Michelle

Lovely Rita
07-13-2006, 03:42 PM
There is something sexy about a run as long as I know I have a drawer full of new ones. If they were the only pair then the situation would be tragic, to say the leaste. Talk about obsessive compulsive. I go crazy if I can't find some hose I knew I had and it does not matter if I have a hundred of the same.

I have a pair of off black no nonsense that I wear with leotards and do my dance and arobics in. They have runs and holes everywhere but I enjoy them cause I can stretch and do my exercises without care.

renee k
07-13-2006, 04:10 PM
Hi All,

While attending a formal function,last winter, running late and having nails break, the last thing I needed was a run in my panty hose, which did happen after a trip to the ladies room. The run confined itself to an area above the hem line of my dress, and nobody was the wiser. After relating the story of this particular evening to my hairdresser. Her response was, " Why didn't you have a spare pair of panty hose in the car. " My reaction was, "DOOH"! In my best Homer Simpson voice. We both had a good laugh. So, now when I go out, there's a spare pair in the glove box. I'm sure this is not first time this has happened to anyone here.

Huggs, Renee

sterling12
07-13-2006, 04:55 PM
Hi Ladies:

This is probably old information for a lot of gurl's but I pass it along for anyone who doesn't know.

If you get a run that's "high" on your hose, you can often save the evening by having a bottle of clear nail polish in your purse. Dab the clear on the lowest spot on the run and it will usually stop the run from lengthening down the leg. If the run is under your skirt then no one will see.

I know when I'm out and I'm trying to get things "pulled back together" after a Pit Stop, I will sometimes inadvertently knick the tops of my stockings and a run starts up near the welt.

I find that The "Sally Hanson Hard As Nails Clear", works particularly well for this purpose. Added insurance, almost every GG always keeps a spare in her purse. One of the real advantages with stockings....two pair makes three pair, when it's all said and done!

Peace and Love, Joanie

Kate Simmons
07-13-2006, 06:50 PM
I usually wear either long dresses or pants, so a run in my hose is no biggie. I figure as long as no one else knows it, I'm good. I just do what every other American woman does: Pretend everything is "perfect"! Ericka

KateW
07-13-2006, 07:23 PM
I don't like runs, but it is especially annoying if it's in a pair of tights I really like. I had these great tights that looked like they had some fishnets on top, and they got a huge hole. I still get sad thinking about it. *sniff*. :-(

Wenda
07-13-2006, 07:24 PM
Women's stockings are an incredible scam! I have men's socks that are 5 years old and work fine, while I have lady's stockings that I have worn twice and have a run in them! When I am dressing for myself, I wear stockings with runs until they are just too big to ignore.

vcutenyc
07-13-2006, 07:54 PM
you can get a little extra wear out of your stocking if you catch the run early and put a dab of clear nail polish where it ends. this will keep the run from getting any bigger. elmer's glue works in a pinch too.

kay_jessica
07-14-2006, 02:12 AM
....Because of some really rough skin on my heels, the hose almost always run from the heel up the back of the leg. ......

I use a foot file to smooth out the rough skin on my feet. Works well and my stockings/tights don't catcht

older not wiser
07-14-2006, 02:19 AM
I too hate runs in my pantyhose. I almost never wear a pair with a run in them even under jeans or slacks, but on rare occasions I will especially in the winter,
I have used the clear nail polish trick on a small run which might be high on the thigh but that would be the limit for me. I always have a spare pair just in case.

Love; BonnieAnne :GE:

racquel
07-14-2006, 02:41 AM
Rather than throw them out you can do what I do,cut the legs off and with a clamp put one on the outlet hose of the washer,saves the drain from plugging up with lint and stuff.:D

GG Vanya
07-15-2006, 07:21 PM
Some of you may know this, but for those who don't:

Storing your hosiery in the freezer makes them last much longer~dunno why it works, but it does. They don't run near as easily.

GG Vanya
07-15-2006, 07:25 PM
I'm always at home & being somewhat of a cheapskate, I'll wear the hose run and all. I get as irratated as the next girl about a run, but I just have to put it out of my mind and enjoy the feeling of being dressed. Because of some really rough skin on my heels, the hose almost always run from the heel up the back of the leg. Out of sight, Out of mind; I guess.

Hugs,
Michelle

Pedicurists use a specially designed razor to remove those callouses, and you can buy one for home use at Sally's Beauty Supply.

Also, use a pumice stone after soaking in the bath for a while. Trudi got me a terra cotta foot scrubber from "Bath Junkie" and it's the best I've ever owned! I get 'squicked' about rough and/or calloused feet, so I SCRUB my heels/feet every day! They gots ta be smooth as a baby's booty!

GG Vanya
07-15-2006, 07:28 PM
Rather than throw them out you can do what I do,cut the legs off and with a clamp put one on the outlet hose of the washer,saves the drain from plugging up with lint and stuff.:D

There is another way to get double use out of pantyhose with a run in only one leg. This will work especially well for CD's who need a tighter panty to hold things in place.

Simply cut off the leg with the run in it, up near the panty, on two separate pairs of pantyhose. Put one pair on, then reverse the other pair and put it on. You'll have a double panty, but you'll have two "runnerless" legs also!

Tina Dixon
07-15-2006, 09:07 PM
A run in your hose, time to chuck them.

Bernice
07-15-2006, 09:46 PM
I'm with Wenda. Stockings are a scam. I have 15 year old socks, and I have some new panti-hose that will run even when I stand perfectly still, and not because they are too small either. Even fishnet stockings seem to get runs.

I've tried all the thrifty tricks mentioned above, except for freezing them. I will put mine in the freezer tonight because this is not the first time I have heard this trick. I really couldn't afford to keep myself in stockings at the workplace, and perhaps this is why so many GGs at work are going barelegged this summer?

Support hose seem to wear the best, but at $4+ per pair, I hardly ever splurge. I was getting really lucky with hose at church rummage sales, but haven't been to one in awhile.

Rachel Morley
07-15-2006, 09:53 PM
There is another way to get double use out of pantyhose with a run in only one leg. This will work especially well for CD's who need a tighter panty to hold things in place.

Simply cut off the leg with the run in it, up near the panty, on two separate pairs of pantyhose. Put one pair on, then reverse the other pair and put it on. You'll have a double panty, but you'll have two "runnerless" legs also!
What a fabulous idea! I think I'll try this....frugal is my middle name :D and help holding things in place is always a good thing.

Thanks GG Vanya!

cindyxdresser
09-13-2006, 09:38 PM
To me it doesnt matter if i am staying home or going out ,if i get a run in my stockings they immediatly go in the trash.Here is a tip i found out when i was watching tv,when you by stockings ,pantyhose or whatever before you wear them the first time put them in the freeser over nite,it changes something in their molecular structure and they wont run as easy

vbcdgrl
09-13-2006, 11:53 PM
If I get a runner in a garter stocking or thigh high, I throw that one away but keep it's mate. Pantyhose? Well, I just throw 'em away. I have this thing about runners, none allowed, whether at home or out. I have been out a lot, and, for some reason, never had a runner while out.

Vikki

KarenSusan
09-14-2006, 12:33 AM
If I get a run anywhere in my pantyhose, out it goes.

cosmolovesph
09-14-2006, 06:49 AM
I just can't wear a pair knowing it has a run... :2c:

ophillia
09-14-2006, 08:47 AM
I'll wear them under my jeans, since this is what I wear a lot. Once it begins to show under them I get rid of them.

Julogden
09-14-2006, 02:54 PM
In cool weather, I often wear pantyhose under jeans, so a minor run doesn't matter there, but otherwise I cut off the leg with the run and save the panty part and the good leg. When you get 2 pairs like that, you can wear both pairs have both legs run-free.

Cheap, I guess, but it works for me.

Of course, if I'm going out, then runs aren't acceptable.

Carol:hugs:

Susan Johnson
09-14-2006, 03:34 PM
when my wife used to wear tights and a skirt for work this was a regular procedure. :-)

I don't like to wear stockings with runs in them and will throw away the laddered leg and match the good one with the good leg out of a pair that that had run before. on some forums there are pictures of crossdressers wearing stockings or pantyhose that have runs in them. I can't stand those pictures, if they are going to take pictures, at least change into stockings without runs. it isn't hard to pick up a new pair round the supermarket when doing some shopping. no one knows for certain who they are for! thats my opinion for what its worth although I realise that some people may like the appearance of stockings with runs.:2c:

lahr
09-14-2006, 04:23 PM
I thought that I was the only one with this obsession. Its kinda like This. If I get a run and its visible on the the front of my legs or on my feet, Those nylons are gone! With knee highs or p hose and even thigh hi's It bugs me but I toss em... Now!.. With some of the more expensive reinforced heel and toe or fully fashioned stockings I dont wear them with runs but I dont toss em either. They just have acculumated and I dont wear em but I cant toss em either. Just the sight of my nylons gets me Going! Foot Fetish? Stocking fetish? ..........larry.

julie w
09-15-2006, 11:45 AM
if I am doing things around my home its not the end of the world but going
out to an event they have to be new and I take a spare .
Its important to keep you toe and finger nails well groomed as rough edges
will snag you hose.

Kathi-Anne
09-15-2006, 07:02 PM
I don't know of anyone that is ecstatic over a run in their pantyhose. I also hate runs. If it's on the foot, I'll wear it. As time goes by, I'll eventually get rid of them.

Warbender
09-18-2006, 05:30 PM
I get a run in my hose? make something else out of that pair of hose. I will usually cut the legs off and turn the rest of that pair into ether a silky soft top, a body suit, or if i got another pair with a runner i will make an underdress (a dress made for under another dress kind of a slip dress).
The leg without the run (if I had cut it off high enough) becomes a thigh high (no problem comming up with more thigh highs). The leg with the run i use the material to make semi see thru undies. I am also working on a bra idea using hosery material