PDA

View Full Version : Use of Gifts and Talents

Joanna0909a
07-13-2006, 09:38 PM
Hi All,
I have been thinking of this for some time now and am wondering if I am alone in thinking about this.

I was brought up being taught that 1. We all have talents and gifts, and 2, We need to give of ourselves, using what we have. It just does not work that all we do is take. Well, I have other life guidelines, but these two are the ones that have been banging around in my blonde head lately.

Now I do not know if we all could agree that being a CD is a gift or not, but it is part of our make up and helps makes us, for better or worse, the person we are.

In keeping with item 2 above, the giving part, I have always done things that I like to think help others - I was a scout leader, I have worked on professional committees, I am active in church (LOL wouldn't council be thrilled to know the Building Committee Chairman loves to wear bras and panty hose?), well you get the idea. Now here is my question - How can I incorporate my CD into some giving or helpful way? Now I realize the answer may require me to step farther out of the closet than I am now (which is not at all when it comes to friends and family) but that bridge would be crossed when I came to it. I feel that I am missing something somewhere. Maybe it is that my wife is, at the moment at a training class learning how to better teach children about music. What am I doing? Buying more panty hose.

Does this make any sense? I hope some of you have some thoughts. This is really bugging me!

Thanks - I love you all!

Hugs,
Joanna

Calliope
07-13-2006, 09:58 PM
Maybe it is that my wife is, at the moment at a training class learning how to better teach children about music. What am I doing? Buying more panty hose.

Put that way, I can see how you're getting some guilt. I surmise some helping activism will ease that. How to incorporate your fem self into the endeavor - while staying close to the closet? How about a 'traditionally feminine' or 'maternal' type of service? Is there a hospital nearby, they always have volunteer work - much of it filled by idle housewives. Preparing or delivering meals, that sort of thing. I'd stay away from working with children if I were you - (1) your SO might feel competition, plus (2) incorporating your fem self into kid work could be hazardous if you ever come out (intentionally or otherwise).

Good for you for thinking of the rest of the world, you must have a kind heart.

Billijo49504
07-13-2006, 10:10 PM
You could always volunteer to be a driver for Meal on wheels, delivering meals to seniors that are house bound. Or you could donate your time to a GLTB group or center. I'm sure they would be happy to have you. After IO retire I'm going to take over a operation care program. Rest stop refreshments on holiday weekend type of thing. So give something back to the public, it will make you feel great...BJ

Phoebe Reece
07-13-2006, 11:32 PM
Joanna, I have been a scout leader as well and am currently active (oddly enough) on the building committee for my church. I am also a board member and newsletter editor for my local Tri-Ess chapter. If you want to do something to specifically benefit the transgender community, you could try to either join and take an active role in a CD support group of some sort or you could even try to organize one on your own. You might also look into participation in outreach programs such as doing presentations on crossdressing at colleges. Those would fit in with your history of organized service.

Joy Carter
07-14-2006, 02:17 AM
Yeah that volunteer thing I was totally involved at work doing many projects at the city, it was always if somebody won't volunteer Joy will do it. Scouts, church, youth groups etc. etc. etc. I finally quit a few years ago but never thought about the gender reversal role on that issue. Maybe when I catch my breath I might try that.

rosiegurl
07-14-2006, 03:13 AM
could start a CD group in your area

Marla S
07-14-2006, 03:40 AM
First off, if you accepted your CDing and became a more confident and relaxed person this will effect all of your doing in a positive way.
Another importand field would be to teach people about tolerance, acceptance and understanding for alternative life styles. It is not necessary to come out of the closet to do it. You have a lot experiences and know the situation of an outsider to be a good teacher.

Kate Simmons
07-14-2006, 05:24 AM
There's an old saying to the effect of whatever it is you do, do it well. That applies here I think. We don't always have to be "world savers" to do something positive and we don't have to be in drag. A lot of it has to do with attitude and outlook. I feel I am doing positive things by just being myself. The fact that we have realized we need to be in touch with our feminine side is positive in itself. Whatever the reason, we know we are otherwise incomplete as a person. There's another saying to the effect of being true to yourself. In my case, it's all about balancing myself and my feelings as a person and this makes me a better person. Having the outward appearance of a woman just demonstrates part of who I am inside, nothing selfish about it really.The effect is to balance my overall personality and by doing that, I'm able to accomplish whatever I set out to do well whether it's as Richard or Ericka. Talking about it with like minded people helps and sharing our feelings gives us more insight. Working in a "soup kitchen" in itself accomplishes nothing whether we are in drag or drab. Seeing the good effects of our efforts is what brings us joy and satisfaction. We do positive things by just being who we are, just ask anyone on this Forum. Ericka

Charleen
07-14-2006, 06:38 AM
For me, I can sum it up in one word- Balance.I need that ion all aspects of my life. Sometimes it's difficult, like now, as I leave the house at 8 A.M. and don't get home 'till 10:30 P.M. or later as I do 2 jobs for my employer. As i love what I do, it's not a problem, but leaves little time for anything else. But again I have to say it, that the key to enjoying life is balance in all things. Could writr more, but I have to get ready to go to work. Sounds like a balance thing. Love and xxxx, Lily