PDA

View Full Version : Anyone square file their nails? And does anyone notice?

Michelle Ellis
07-16-2006, 06:33 PM
I started square filing my nails a couple weeks ago after growing them out long enough to do so. I love how they look, and they make me feel that much more 'right' about myself. At first I was just gonna do it for one night, then I was gonna take the corners off so no one would notice. But I can't do it, I love em! The drawback is I'm walking around with my fists clenched around my thumbs so no one will see LOL they're less than a 1/4 inch long, but they're making me really self consious!

Anyone do this? Anyone notice?

Thanks
M

KateW
07-16-2006, 06:46 PM
Funny you should ask that! Until recently I had been rounding my nails, but I have started suffering from a few ingrown toenails (owch!). My doctor suggested I cut and file them straight across. Therefore, if you get any funny looks / questions, just say its on doctors orders!

Karren H
07-16-2006, 06:51 PM
I actually don't like the square filed nails.....so even though it's the fashion ....Grrrrrrr...I'm not going to do it!!!!!

Love Karren

DanaJ
07-16-2006, 07:24 PM
Mine have been like that for 2 years now (every since I started wearing artificial nails) and no one has noticed, or at least, no one has commented. Square shaped nails (or actually squoval, square with rounded edges) are the strongest shape, and will resist breaking more than oval shaped nails....

Michelle Ellis
07-16-2006, 08:40 PM
I just barely round the corners off and the tops are slightly curved but straight. I think I need another few days growth and one more good shaping and they are good to grow long, the issue now is will I permit that to happen, I was never even going to take it this far, but cutting them now would be like cutting my hair short hehe just can't do it :p

LOL I didn't even know square was in fashion! I just wanted a change, one that I could appreciate anytime, not just when dressed up, it makes me feel better somehow.

M

AlyssaT
07-16-2006, 08:55 PM
I don't really like the square shape either. But lately I have been letting them grow out and applying clear polish. I'm actually quite surprised that no one has noticed.

I assist at a kid's martial arts class, and trust me, they would ask about if they noticed it. I guess shiny nails on a guy aren't that noticeable. Isn't that cool?

I wonder if the same is true for lipstick....

Karren H
07-16-2006, 09:18 PM
I don't really like the square shape either. But lately I have been letting them grow out and applying clear polish. I'm actually quite surprised that no one has noticed.

I assist at a kid's martial arts class, and trust me, they would ask about if they noticed it. I guess shiny nails on a guy aren't that noticeable. Isn't that cool?

I wonder if the same is true for lipstick....

I know that no one has noticed I wear mascara at work and clear polish some times......but the dark red shades of lip stick i love.......

Love Karren

DebbieThomas
07-16-2006, 09:26 PM
yes people notice. Ive keep mine 1/4" to 1/2" square with rounded edges. the other day at the office one of the girls asked why I had cut my nails down. said I had chipped a nail and cut them down to make then even again. she has her own 1 1/2". just blow me away at how at ease she was about it and acceptance. by the time we finished talking I knew everyone had noticed when I started wearing clear polish too. she asked if I paint them with color, (big smile) yes! told her I have 15 or so different colors. the last few weekends Ive been wearing Orly berry blast, does get me alot of looks in him mode. have pics if anyone would like to see them.

Michelle Ellis
07-16-2006, 10:42 PM
You bet :) post away!

Is that your hand in your avatar?

M

Joanie B
07-16-2006, 10:50 PM
I know that no one has noticed I wear mascara at work and clear polish some times......but the dark red shades of lip stick i love.......

Love Karren

Karren,
I have worn clear polish on my nails and let them grow a little, but I have always had round oval. I always figured that square or sqare round would be too noticeable. Two GG's noticed on two different occasions, and commented, so I am sure now everyone knows, but no comments have been made by anyone since those first two times.

Anyway, so surely you are not talking about brown or black mascara, are you? Is there such a thing as clear?

Hugs,
Joanie

Michelle Ellis
07-16-2006, 11:26 PM
ohh.... yeah I had the cashier at the store the other day look right at my nails... didn't say anything but I thought maybe she was wondering. (sigh) it's been on my mind so I thought I'd ask.

If everyone who noticed just asked I could just say how it's healthier, stronger and I play fingerstyle guitar after all... but most people are just gonna notice and assume. Damn. I don't want to cut em! :cry:

M

Penny
07-16-2006, 11:53 PM
ohh.... yeah I had the cashier at the store the other day look right at my nails... didn't say anything but I thought maybe she was wondering. (sigh) it's been on my mind so I thought I'd ask.

If everyone who noticed just asked I could just say how it's healthier, stronger and I play fingerstyle guitar after all... but most people are just gonna notice and assume. Damn. I don't want to cut em! :cry:

M
Yes mine are long, square, rounded at the corners and french manicure too.
When I first started I was self conscience but as time goes on I just forget
that they are so darn pretty. Why souldn't people notice and who cares anyway, they are your nails and you should give yourself permission to wear them the way you want. Here is what I tell people as my excuse "I like them, they are pretty and if you don't, don't look."

DebbieThomas
07-17-2006, 07:40 AM
I used a flatbed scanner so not the best quality.

Michelle Ellis
07-17-2006, 03:06 PM
Looks good Debbie :) I wish I could get away with long nails like that!

M

Talon DeRojo
07-17-2006, 03:16 PM
I used a flatbed scanner so not the best quality.

Debbie - Your nails are gorgeous!
Talon:happy:

Toni CD
07-17-2006, 03:36 PM
hi gals, i sure do like the look of those nails. i try to grow mine to some length, but i'am a carpenter you know a nail bangger [pun intended] . so it's very hard to keep them long. always breaking or chipping them. i do enjoy putting on some bright red polish when i'am home for the night. ohya do not forget the toes... :D seeya loves.....

DebbieThomas
07-17-2006, 03:46 PM
thank girls

I had tears in my eyes last weekend when I cut 1/4" off 9 fingers to make then even. hated to do it but they do look nicer being one lenght

JamieTG
07-17-2006, 04:18 PM
Hi Debbie. Your nails look great!!! I think you and I feel the same way about our nails. At work my nails are what I'm most known for. I've had women come up to me and ask to see them. One woman has trouble growing hers long so I give her pointers. I also know what you mean about wanting to cry when you break one. I only break a nail about once a year but I am crushed when it does happen. If its a partial tear I've had good luck with nail glue and gluing it back in place. A full tear is a lost cause. Two weeks ago I was buying some fuscia nail color at the drug store and the cashier was a young teenage girl. When I handed her the nail color she saw my nails and said "I guess this must be for you". I replied that yes it was and she gave me a nice smile. Thanks for showing us your nails Debbie.
Jamie

jennig
07-17-2006, 04:29 PM
hi girls I have posted befor on this mattet but I have kept my nails long now for about 3 years and yes i was so carful at first that noboby saw them I know about klinches fists but after a period of time you say to yourself who cares so i keep them long and squar with rounded corners french most of the time went red for a few weeks now thats hard to get by with. you know I have reached a point that i dont need to get fuly dressed as long as I have my nails hair and i always whwar womans shorts and keep my self smooth that almost enough for me..
love jennig

noname
07-17-2006, 04:29 PM
It's all in our heads. I started doing my nails earlier this year. People either don't notice and don't say anything. Act like it's not big deal ( cause it's not ) and it isn't.

Stephenie B
07-17-2006, 04:46 PM
Michelle,
I have mine a 1/4+ long and square with rounded sides. That is how my nail girl dose them every 2 weeks. I have gel nails and they need to be filled and finished that often. I used to get some looks when I had them done but not any more and it was always from the older woman. A nail salon is NOT just for woman any more. So you go girl.........
Hugs
Stephenie

Michelle Ellis
07-17-2006, 06:23 PM
Hehe, Steph, you know what? My older sister is a beautician :p I was her guinea pig on many occasions. I've had manicures before too LOL but my nails were never that long then. She always kept hers very long, rounded, and just to die for, multi color artwork and stuff too sometimes. I was always jelous. We'd watch tv together and she would work on those things for hours. I really wish I had paid more attention then...

She eventually developed a problem of some sort on account of her artificial nails, and had to do away with them alltogether :( I remember it taking her forever before she could do anything with them again.

M

Tina Dixon
07-17-2006, 06:34 PM
I file but there short.

Charleen
07-17-2006, 07:19 PM
Long, oval, Sally Hansen Hard as Nails Exta Strenghth(lovely shine), and I don't care what people think! Love and xxxx, Lily

Dee 1062
07-17-2006, 07:25 PM
My are square file and not no one saids a work...except my ex....she wanted to know what man lets his nails grow so long? I just smiled....:)

Michelle Ellis
07-17-2006, 11:53 PM
Damn, I just filed down the corners of my thumbnails 2 minutes ago :( they were just getting too... beautiful (sigh) I kept the rest as they are shaped, but had to take some length off them. I'm not quite to the "who gives a damn" point yet.

I wish my work wasn't construction LOL

M

pywacket
07-18-2006, 01:11 AM
Actually, I've had my nails fairly long and found that when they were square cut they had a tendency to catch on stuff and break.

I started having them oval shaped and had much less problem. Not that I objected to the oval shape.

Wenda
07-18-2006, 06:58 AM
I managed to create a nice set of squared nails, but chipped a couple, so ended up rounding them all off to make them look even. I am starting to file them square again.

Charleen
07-18-2006, 07:39 AM
Sam, Try Sally Hanson Hard as nails. I am using the extra strength and haven't had a problem in the I have been using it. Love and xxxx,Lily

Michelle Ellis
07-18-2006, 04:20 PM
And another tip Sam, when you file only go in one direction, and always go that direction on that nail, don't go back and forth. I went back and forth (sawed at them) for years and always had breaking and chipping nails, the top layers of them would even separate. But since learning that my nails are really coming along great :) not as long as I would like, but they're 1/4 on the corners and 3/16 in the middle, longer, stronger and healthier than they've ever been.

M

JoAnnDallas
07-19-2006, 08:14 AM
Now I am confused. I thought fem nails were rounded or oval and male nails were square. In that case all of my nails are squared off with a hit of roundness on the edges. Guess I need to post a pic so you can see what I mean. I had mine squared off so I could pickup items. I used to have them kinda oval shaped and found I had a hard time picking up things.
I have had GG's make positive comments on my nails and I even had this one GG show her husband my nails and say to him "See men can have good looking nails". Boy did I get a dagger stare from her husband LOL.

Michelle Ellis
07-19-2006, 05:36 PM
Oh, nice of her to make an example of you! LOL I would hate to have seen that stare.

Funnny, it must be what you're used to. I've always rounded mine before, and now that they're square (like you say but opposite) I'm having a hard time picking things up too :p guess I'll get used to it.

What I did to determine my shape was to download several french manicure pictures from google images to give me an example. And there's some good examples! :)

M