PDA

View Full Version : Why do people mock?

Tiana
07-17-2006, 02:17 PM
Why do the majority of people mock us crossdressers?. Is it as simple as a man should act like a man as regards dress or does it go deeper than that.
If my wife can went out out in my shirt no one would bat an eyelid and no doubt a friend would compliment her on her fashion and yet I would not get to the end of my street in a dress without at least a look or a comment and the thoughts they may have would be even more daming.
It frustrates me so much this subject but I don't really care I am what I am like all of us, harmless and loving people x

Maria2004
07-17-2006, 02:47 PM
Some people like to mock anyone that falls outside their narrow expectations of how one should act or present themselves. I ride sport bikes and I always wear my crash gear whenever I ride, full face helmet, armored textile jacket and gloves, etc. I've been mocked and insulted by a tiny fraction of Harley Davidson riders for that, more often then I have ever been mocked for crossdressing in public. Some folks just aren't gonna like you no matter what you do. That's their problem not ours. :hugs:

Karren H
07-17-2006, 02:53 PM
Guess people fear what they don't understand. So they react by name calling or worse! Its been going on for century's, aginst one group or another, for many different reasons. And it will continue if not with us then with some other group. Sad but that's life as we know it!

Wonder who's next in line after us? Hopefully we took a number when we entered!! Now serving number 32....I know I put that stupid number in my purse!! Damn..... Hehehe

Love Karren

Siobhan Marie
07-17-2006, 03:09 PM
Karren has hit the nail on the head. People do mock what they either don't know anything about or that they don't understand. For instance a friend of mine works in security in the Southampton area, (which is incidentally where I live although I do prefer to say that I live on the edge of the New Forest as it sounds better!!) and is transsexual, the crap that she got when she came out was just unbelievable, I'm transgendered myself and to hear what people were saying behind her back kills me inside (I work in security as well, but don't work full time at the same location as my friend does). I have outed myself a few times recently as I don't care what people think of me, I don't , I really don't. It wouldn't kill people who don't CD or are non TS or non TG to a bit of research first before they have a go at us as we are all still human beings and not aliens from another planet.

:hugs: Anna x

Calliope
07-17-2006, 03:21 PM
If my wife can went out out in my shirt no one would bat an eyelid and no doubt a friend would compliment her on her fashion [...]

Ah - but back in 1925 when women bobbed their hair and stopped with the crinoline petticoats, then started smoking in public - whoa! guys thought it was the end of civilization.

Julie Avery
07-17-2006, 03:38 PM
I think mocking proceeds from insecurity. The person who mocks another is afraid that if they don't explicitly separate themself from the one being mocked, they may be identified with him, and be disapproved of.

Someone did a fascinating study on homophobia, which showed that men who scored high on a homophobia scale were more aroused by homoerotic stimuli than most other men - case in point on the insecurity theory of why people mock.

Melanie R
07-17-2006, 03:42 PM
People mock because of ignorance and society's insistence that you are either in the blue box or the pink box. Women can cross into the blue box but some mock men who cross into the pink box. I continue to tell those that will listen that if you dress appropriately, act appropriately and go to appropriate places you likely will not be mocked. I also say if you are served lemons make lemonaide. I use the example of 9 years ago when Melanie was on one of our transgendered cruises and on the first night of the cruise was mocked by a man who exclaimed to all entering the ship's dining room that he did not pay all this money to be on a ship with a bunch of weirdos. As the week went go Melanie and others had many great talks and spent time with this man, John, and the 40 others in this golf group. On the last night of the cruise he called me over as we were both entering the dining room and gave me a big hug and kiss on the cheek. He said for everyone to hear that it meant so much to him to meet Melanie and the other crossdressers and their wives in our group. He said that it takes real balls to be a crossdresser. Through us he learned that a man can cross gender lines.

On this same cruise one of our group performed on the last day of the cruise in the ship's talent show. At the conclusion of the act, Jane thanked the audience of 1300 for their acceptance and support during the week. As our group joined Jane on the stage everyone in the audience gave the group a standing ovation. That night Melanie cruied many tears as I was hugged by so many people who wanted me and others in our group in their photos.

I hope this helps.

Hugs,

Melanie

DonnaT
07-17-2006, 06:54 PM
Why do the majority of people mock us crossdressers?
Let's not over generalize.

I doubt if there is a majority of people that mock us. There are many who do, but not as many as those who don't, and those who don't are probably far more than those who do.

Joy Carter
07-17-2006, 06:57 PM
Irrational Fear That We Might Multiply ........LOL.:D

steffie39
07-17-2006, 09:36 PM
Really very few people really stare if you think about it but the ones who do leave such an impact that we tend to forget that they are in the minority. Most go about their business and do not care. The ones who do and mock us have no real life to begin with. I know when I'm male I'm usually so preoccupied with other things I usually don't notice who is around me or what they're wearing.

Steffie

~Kelly~
07-17-2006, 10:43 PM
I think one of my favorite lines from the movie "spies like us" pretty much sums it up. http://www.freefileupload.net/file.php?file=files/180706/1153193939/mock.mp3
(follow link and scroll down to download to hear the clip)

Kate Simmons
07-18-2006, 05:53 AM
Julie pretty much nailed it. Insecurity with their own sexuality is what makes most folks react in a mocking or taunting way. They may be afraid of their own deep feelings. Ericka

JoAnnDallas
07-18-2006, 08:34 AM
I have found that a lot of people will get a funny look on their face and then just walk away. The sad thing is for every person that will publicly mock another person, there are 10X the number that will not say anything even to the person doing the mocking. If only two or three other people popped up and said "Leave him/her alone". I bet the mocker would just shut up and go away, because others did not support him/her or spoke up in your defense. Mockers are like bullies, they feed off not only Terrorizing the person in question, but the fact that they have unspoken support from others standing around. If people around them start verberly supporting the one being Terrorized, the bully loses his power.

myMichelle
07-18-2006, 09:06 AM
I agree with nearly everything that has already been said above. I would also like to offer this real life experience and adviceto anyone being mocked: I was walking (enfemme) in a local shopping mall yesterday morning. I was completely mindinng my own business, and most people were very polite. But, as I walked past one person (a guy I'm sure, although I never turned to look at him) I noticed someone had started to whistle at me...you know the whistle, it's the stereotypical catcall that I'm sure all GG's absolutely hate hearing. Anyway, I just ignored it and walked on with my chin held high.

Stand up comics have a saying, "Never let 'em see ya sweat." I like to apply this same concept to my crossdressing, too. Never give some ignorant SOB the satisfaction of seeing you get embarrassed!