PDA

View Full Version : Cant Toe Nail Polish Cause Problems?

Karren H
07-18-2006, 10:17 AM
I just wondered if anyone else has experienced this...Usually keep my toes painted and only change colors about once a month. But twice this year. I've gotten a toe nail infection, the last one was nasty and destroyed half of my nail before I got it under control. So does leaving polish on for extended periods of time cause an increase in fungas problems? Unlike GG's who wear sandles a lot and keep their feet well ventilated, mine are trapped in male dress shoes or sneakers <sigh> mostly! Seems like the perfect breading ground for all kinds of nastys! Never really had any problems before I started painting my nails so maybe its just a coincedence? What's your experience?

Love Karren

angie_pacd
07-18-2006, 10:20 AM
Karen,
I have a bad nail infection in half my toe nails, I swore it was from polish I wore for years. Maybe it does have something to do with it. Angie

Ginagirl
07-18-2006, 10:40 AM
Are there any nasties in those Hockey Boots???? hehe. Just kidding. As far as I know most infections come from unsanitzed cleaning tools. If you groom them before polishing, make sure your tools are clean. When your in drab a powder might help along with natural fiber socks, like cotton and not nylon combo that make your feet perspire.

Karren H
07-18-2006, 11:07 AM
Are there any nasties in those Hockey Boots???? hehe.

You don't even want to smell my skates of my hockey bah!! Worse than a chicken farm in August!! :). But you do have a point that I didn't think about!!

Love Karren

mellisa's wife
07-18-2006, 11:13 AM
Hi. Just to let you know.... I would not be too quick to blame the polish on your toenails.

I have polished mine constantly for probably 30-some years. ( ouch that hurt to write that) Never had an infection of my toenails.

Artificial fingernails are another story. I have had two infections of my fingernails in the 10 years I have worn them. I only took a break from them for a couple months. Just be careful to keep them dry If you have a loose nail, rip the darn thing off and replace it. If moisture collects underneath.. you're gonna have a problem.

Just some words of wisedom for an old wisewoman. lol0.02

Toni
07-18-2006, 11:43 AM
I read somewhere (Can't remember where) that you should take the polish off for 24hrs per week to stop infections. I do that and I've never had an infection of any sort. Hope this helps.

DanaJ
07-18-2006, 12:28 PM
OK, DanaJ weighing in :)

No, nail polish can safely be worn for years on end, IF it is properly applied and removed. Like Gina said, your impliments need to be clean and sterile if possible.

As far as artificial nail enhancements go, these can be worn for years also. I have said this many times before here - nails do not need to "breathe"! This was something started by some nail salons to increase business by getting their clients to pay for new sets of nails every few months rather than just fills. When clients have problems with artifiical nails, they usually have been improperly applied by unlicensed nail techs at the discount corner nail salon. I have had artificial nails for over 2 years with no breaks in wearing them and no problems.

It is true that "greenies" (nail fungus) can form under improperly applied or maintained artificial nails. Thi s is especially true for artificial nails on the toes, especially if the nails are shut away in a damp dark place (i.e. shoes) for hours per day.

So, nail polish should not be the reason for any nail infections or fungus. I suggest going to a podiatrist to check things out, some nail fungus can be really nasty to get rid of, and some can eventually eat off your whole nail and it will not grow back....

DonnaT
07-18-2006, 03:37 PM
Nail polish can trap moisture and fungi, but will not be the cause of the fungi.

Most often, nail fungus appears in the toenails because socks and shoes keep the toenails dark, warm, and moist. Wear socks that wick away the moisture, or cotton socks. Also use a good foot powder if you are susceptible to fungi.

GG Vanya
07-18-2006, 03:48 PM
Another precaution to take is this:

Before applying nail polish, use alcohol to sterilize each nail and the surrounding skin.

For those of you who go to nail salons, I'm sure you have noticed that just before they start to apply the tips and the overlay, there is a clear thin liquid that is applied to each nail. That is an "anti fungal" solution.

This can also be bought at Sally's Beauty Supply, but alcohol works just as well. It kills all germs before they are "trapped" between your nail and the polish.

I have worn gel nails, acrylic nails, and solar nails continuously for years, and have never gotten a fungus. I've seen other customers who have, blech!

Jodi
07-18-2006, 04:21 PM
I have worn polish on my toes 24/7 for the past several years. I get mine done professionally, and yes, she does use the anti fungal solution on mine before polishing. I have never had a problem.

Jodi

vbcdgrl
07-18-2006, 07:51 PM
Hi, Karren. I'm new here and probably shoudn't be shooting off my mouth. But, I think you need to see a Podiatrist to get rid of the fungus. It has nothing to do with the nail polish. But, it won't go away on it's own. There are some self treatment products out there, but, I think you should see a doctor first.

Vikki

Charleen
07-18-2006, 09:00 PM
Karren, were you pickin' you toes in Pougippsee ?HeHe!

paulaN
07-18-2006, 09:14 PM
Karren it has nothing to do with polish but it may have something to do with those hockey skates. I only where white cotten socks. unless I need something more dressy. or I'm wearing nylons he he .

jai.says
07-18-2006, 09:49 PM
Karren,

Yup, I have the same problem -- and keeping my toes polished seems to accelerate the problem. I tend to take it off for a few days a week and I use an antifungal solution, which seems to be working. I hate taking it off!! Argggh!

Kate Simmons
07-19-2006, 07:52 AM
I remove mine every morning. My nails tend to get a little yellowish, especially from the red polishes. Could be an effect of the acetone. I've been wearing clear or transparent polish during the week and it hasn't been as bad lately but that's the only effect I have seen. Ericka

Karren H
07-19-2006, 08:20 AM
Another precaution to take is this:

Before applying nail polish, use alcohol to sterilize each nail and the surrounding skin.

For those of you who go to nail salons, I'm sure you have noticed that just before they start to apply the tips and the overlay, there is a clear thin liquid that is applied to each nail. That is an "anti fungal" solution.

This can also be bought at Sally's Beauty Supply, but alcohol works just as well. It kills all germs before they are "trapped" between your nail and the polish.

I have worn gel nails, acrylic nails, and solar nails continuously for years, and have never gotten a fungus. I've seen other customers who have, blech!

Alcohol is a good idea! See I'll bet your mom taught you that, I must have been absent that day. Hehe. And I think I need to fumagate my hockey skates. Last night after hockey I realized that I sweat off about 3 or 4 pounds of water a game and a lot of it ends up in my skates. Then I drive home with wet socks on! Maybe I should pour some beer on my toes after the game...out in the parking lot with the guys!! Lol.

Oh and we won!! Again. 5 and 0 so far and were the team to beat!! Even though they made us switch jerseys last night to an orange...clashed with my blue stockings!! I hate that!! Have to be color cordinated or I play like crap. :D

Love Karren

Karren H
07-19-2006, 08:30 AM
I remove mine every morning. My nails tend to get a little yellowish, especially from the red polishes. Could be an effect of the acetone. I've been wearing clear or transparent polish during the week and it hasn't been as bad lately but that's the only effect I have seen. Ericka

Mine used to yellow also. We were on vacation in CA and got wet so took off my socks and my yellowish toe nails really were apparent. My wife said that I needed to see a doctor about that. :D. After that I started putting on a coat of clear first, then the color and the yellowing problems went away.

Love Karren

Ginagirl
07-19-2006, 08:59 AM
Hey Hockey Girl,
Listen to your wife she was trying to tell you something. You have funky feet. Imagine your feet on your wife, what you say to her. Hmm. I admit my wife has made comments to me from time to time as well about things. It's like the girlie things don't slip but the male ones do. Oh well I guess were not as perfect as we think.....

Ps bring a chage of socks with you to hockey.... You do change your panties after a game right???? Haha. Just kidding
Gina

Karren H
07-19-2006, 02:05 PM
Hey Hockey Girl,
Listen to your wife she was trying to tell you something. You have funky feet. Imagine your feet on your wife, what you say to her. Hmm. I admit my wife has made comments to me from time to time as well about things. It's like the girlie things don't slip but the male ones do. Oh well I guess were not as perfect as we think.....

Ps bring a chage of socks with you to hockey.... You do change your panties after a game right???? Haha. Just kidding
Gina

Listen to my wife?? That's an idea that I've never thought of! Hehe. And why should I change my panties? There just a little dampish. Usually dry somewhat by yhe time I get home! I'd take a shower at the rink and change into dry clothes but the sight of a hairless guy with largeish breasts and painted toes in the shower would probably not be well received. :D

Love Karren

Dee 1062
07-19-2006, 07:38 PM
I wear clear and do put new on, once a month....seem to help my nails...they look better then when I wore none...