PDA

View Full Version : Explaining post and parcels to others

Carla68
07-22-2006, 12:47 PM
If those of you that buy all of your clothing and accessories from online stores or auction sites, explain to the people you live with (friends or family) about all the parcels you receive via post or courier ? The odd one or two isn't so bad, it's when you frequently purchase new gear and keep running out of excuses. It's for a friend at work or something for the computer etc. Has anyone been found out this way by questions regarding your parcels ? or worse damaged wrapping so your new item of clothing is on view for all to see ! You may know the postman or a neighbour may have taken a parcel in for you and seen whats inside. It could be there is already suspicions about your life style. It's ok for those who live alone or have the nerve to shopping in town or the out of town mall. If you have any comments or experienced any of the above or others, please add them to this thead.

Kind regards

Carla

Renee D
07-22-2006, 01:15 PM
Hey Carla....
I have a po box at ups store.....solves a lot problems.

Carroll
07-22-2006, 01:21 PM
your money, you package, your business, not theirs.

Sorry pretty much to the point LOL

Carroll

Win Der Mere
07-22-2006, 02:12 PM
It isn't that easy.
A Po box at a post office where nobody knows you is one solution, but expensive, and in my case has to be miles away.
It is a valid and tricky problem, and shopping in person seems to be the obvious solution.

Win

Wenda
07-22-2006, 02:32 PM
I own my house, but have had renters upstairs. Three girls lived there last year, and mentioned to my son, who was visiting at the time, the surprising number of parcels that I received. He ahd already learned some of my secret when my closet door swung open revealling 12 pairs of size 11 and 12 lady's shoes.

tekla west
07-22-2006, 03:10 PM
I can't even imagine worrying about what the neighbors think about the number of packages you get, yeesh! If they have nothing better to do with thier time then that, then no need to worry about them at all. You only have to worry about people who have a life.

Calliope
07-22-2006, 03:55 PM
If I only had neighbors to worry about (which I don't)! Each time a package shows up on Saturday (when the missus, the breadwinner) is home, I race to nab it quick. She knows; the issue is the money I spend (too much).

Karren H
07-22-2006, 04:06 PM
I have all mine (wigs, breast forms, padded panties, etc...) sent to work. no one ever opens my mail or packages but security does xray them when they enter the building!!!

Hmmmmm Wendy might be right.....I can hear the guards now...."That engineer on the 4th floor just got a new set of boobs, again"!! hehehe

Another alternative is get a mailbox at the post office or at Mailbox, Etc (the UPS Store).......

Love karren

Lisa Maren
07-22-2006, 04:51 PM
I, too, have a "PMB" at a UPS store. (Same thing as a PO Box). It really does wonders solving that problem. Before I got the box, I had been sticking to merchants that serve both genders so that questions wouldn't be raised. For instance, I bought my pantyhose (and still do) through Walgreen's online site. It's so easy to say that it's a shipment of toiletries and who the heck enjoys walking around a Walgreens anyway? lol

Hugs,
Lisa

Marika
07-22-2006, 04:54 PM
Carla

I have a PO box as well (opened it after seeing a similar thread previously). For me its worth the cost to reduce the hassle. My problem is where to store the stuff. You will have guessed my SO doesn't know.

Wendy me
07-22-2006, 05:09 PM
look them squre in the eye and say it's womens underwear....what do you think it is??? walk away.....

susancheerleader
07-22-2006, 05:13 PM
I have a PO box as well.
Most parcels come with no identifiable markings. However, there have been more then a few that have come with "Cheerleaders USA" or something.
Living in a very small town where everyone knows someone, this is tricky. Even the Postmaster keeps asking "Philip, what is up with all the Ebay/ whatever packages?"
I just smile and say "I like to shop."
By now I am sure more then a few people in this small town know what I am doing. But so far I haven't encountered any problems.... Kind of make me feel more like "coming out" better! :)

tekla west
07-22-2006, 05:14 PM
you can buy your pantyhose at wallgreens without raising an eyebrow, women sent thier BFs out for that crap all the time.

Lindahexi
07-22-2006, 05:55 PM
In the past I considered a P.O. box, but in the end I decided to just shop for everything in person. It took some nerve at first, but the more I shopped the easier it became. Nowadays I don't really think about it too much, if I want something I just buy it. I think my most daring purchase was buying some eyelashes from Clairs, the girl asked "are they for you?" yes I replied, and and she served me with a knowing smile. This was the same girl that had pierced my ears last year, she is always polite and helpful.

I have never used Ebay (am I the only one?) I have occasionally used mail order, but I worry about the package going to a neighbour if I happen to be out.

Eric/a
07-22-2006, 11:55 PM
For once, I think I've got all of you beat! At my job, I do all the incoming and outgoing mail and courier shipments, and nobody'd notice a few extra packages coming in and out of the mail room! A lot of them are computers, so even if it's a big enough box for five or six pairs of high heels, it would blend in with all the others!

Joy Carter
07-23-2006, 12:09 AM
I don't worry about it she just puts the package on my bed and says nothing. "Bare Necessities" ships in a plain wrapper if anyone wants to know.

Helen MC
07-23-2006, 12:27 AM
I started to use catalogs when I was 18 and moved away from home to University. I was in a small bedsitter of my own and there was no problem with mail being delivered. Many people in the UK, especially stdents and the lower paid used catalog and Mail Order shopping then as way to obtain clothes etc and pay for them over a few months as Credit Cards were not a widely available then in the UK. A parcel arriving was not a matter of comment and in those days I would buy male clothing as well as female on the same order.

Nowadays of course the Internet has taken over and buying on the web using my Credit Cards has taken over. I live in a self contained Flat (Appartment) in what the Yanks would call a Condominium . Nobody takes the slighest interest if a parcel arrives for me and it is left in the hallway for me to collect when I come home from work.

Another useful factor here in the Home Counties and South East of England is that there are many people living on their own and people are very insular not being interested in what others do unless it impinges on them to their disadvantage. They do not pry into their neighbours' private affairs. This can be different in other parts of the UK such as Scotland, The West Country, North of the Trent and in small villages etc. I could not tell you who my Postman (Mail Deliverer) is nor do I care, and they seem to change often in any event.

Of course I never have any clothing parcels delivered to work only high cost equipment if bought over the Internet and I am likely to be away from home when delivered. I don't mind the lads on Goods Inwards discovering that I have bought a digital camera but I would be a bit worried if they received a parcel containing some packs of pink floral patterned panties, a couple of bras and two pleated skirts.

Nyx
07-23-2006, 12:47 AM
your money, you package, your business, not theirs.

Sorry pretty much to the point LOL

Carroll

I'm lucky, my mom seems to have an implicit understanding of this notion ;)

She never ever checked the contents of the last 70 packages I received during the last few months ;)

Ann Craven
07-24-2006, 03:38 AM
if it all comes in the post ? I just love the furtive glances one gets from GGs in the shops, whilst sizing up a new skirt. Nobody has ever said anything, which is a slight disappointment.

Ann

sandra-leigh
07-24-2006, 04:00 AM
I have a PO box as well [...]. For me its worth the cost to reduce the hassle. My problem is where to store the stuff. You will have guessed my SO doesn't know.

Fortunately for me, a lingerie boutique not far away just happens to be run by the "den mother" of the CD'ing club. They will receive and hold packages there. The club bought some school-type lockers that are stored in the basement there; I rent a couple of them to store most of my clothes. Storage conditions could be better, but considering the alternatives...

I have only used the receiving service once; I'll probably use it again soon, but I will have to work out with them how to cover the duty, taxes, and brokerage charges. I don't want the parcels ending up at the main courier depots: I can't produce any ID in the name Tess-Leigh :sad:

AngelAshley
07-24-2006, 06:09 AM
I don't have this issue any more because I'm 'out'... (well, I do still order the odd 'questionable' item... heh) but when I did, I'd simply look annoyed and/or confused and state that it's none of their business what's in the package, and remind them that I don't go inspecting the contents of anything they receive.

If the package is damaged and pink satin is visible, just say 'Aghhh! They screwed up my order AGAIN!'

Lisa Golightly
07-24-2006, 06:13 AM
I've never been arsed enough to do a cover story... I normally just say 'You're a bit nosey aren't you.'

Carla68
07-24-2006, 01:08 PM
I have all mine (wigs, breast forms, padded panties, etc...) sent to work. no one ever opens my mail or packages but security does xray them when they enter the building!!!

Hmmmmm Wendy might be right.....I can hear the guards now...."That engineer on the 4th floor just got a new set of boobs, again"!! hehehe

Another alternative is get a mailbox at the post office or at Mailbox, Etc (the UPS Store).......

Love karren

The above from Karren reminded me when I bought some boobs when it all went wrong. The boobs came from a warehouse that was used by a few companies. I ended up with a big roll of bubblewrap and you guessed wright someone else received my boobs !! It was fun trying to explain the mistake to get everything sorted. I did this via email to save the blushes. ( coward I know ). Never mind ended up with replacement boobs and free bubblewrap. The replacement boobs came and was delivered to my neighbour, thank god they were packed well. Thanks girls for all you comments so far.

Kind regards

Carla

Bonnie D
07-24-2006, 02:24 PM
First I rented a UPS box and paid cash for half a year. Then I got a credit card with my initials and surname on it. I have a delivery address for the credit card and anything ordered online sent to the UPE box. I try not to order too much at once because I have to hide any purchases in my car trunk until it's convenient for me to bring it inside my house and hide it with the rest of my stuff. All this hiding is not a good way to live but necessary for the time being.

The only other option which I had to use before online shopping was to shop in person and hope you're not seen by anyone you or especially your SO knows. "Oh by the way honey, so and so saw you the other day browsing in the women's section of ... department store. What were you doing there?" I was lucky, no one ever saw me.

Bonnie

Stephenie S
07-24-2006, 04:53 PM
Well, I have to agee with Tekla, Carroll, and Wendy on this one.

What EVER does it matter what the neighbors think. They need to get a life if they are that much into mine.

A PMB might be a good solution though, if you absolutely can't get mail at home. I had one for several years as I traveled frequently. The PMB business would ship my mail anywhere I happened to be at the time. And of course, no questions asked.

Steph

Tina Dixon
07-24-2006, 04:58 PM
Well when I get some thing and is address to me I don't get questioned, it's mine and hands off simple as that, my wife gets some thing it's her's and hands off, I don't ask questions and we both get a lot of stuff in the mail, just put your foot down and say it's your nuff said.

Siobhan Marie
07-24-2006, 05:20 PM
I live alone and use both mail order and eBay and have no problems having stuff delivered. Like Helen I live in a self contained apartment and don't know any of my neighbours. I did find that a package had been left with a neighbour, went and got it without a problem.

:hugs: Anna x

Jodi
07-25-2006, 08:53 PM
I go by the adage that I don't owe anyone an explanation or excuse for anything that I do. My neighbors and I have a thing that we collect each other's mail and paper when the other is away. A while back, my neighbor's wife asked me about the cataloges that I get in the mail, ie Newport News, VS, etc. I just smiled and replied to her that when I pick up their mail from their box, I just put it into a bag to give it to them. I could never tell you what you ever get in the mail. It is none of my business. My only concern is to pick up your mail. She got an embarrassed look and never said another word. What I do or get in the mail is nobody else's business.

Jodi

EricaCD
07-25-2006, 09:17 PM
Don't fret this one. If your neighbors ask, or if they mention something that suggests they are curious, just say you are buying most of your clothes online these days. They won't think to ask further and you will have been completely honest with them!

Erica

Charleen
07-25-2006, 09:34 PM
I don't have to worry about any of it as I don't get my mail delivered! I am so far in the "country" that They don't deliver my mail. I have to pay for a P.O.box. costs me $25 a year so it's not a financial hardship. No prying eyes or curious glances from the unwashed to worry about either.:D Love and xxxx, Lily

Michelle Ellis
07-25-2006, 10:14 PM
Two months ago I told myself never in a million years will I ever buy womens clothes in a store.. ever! Since then I found this site and just three days ago walked straight into Penney's and had a sales assitant help me with buying a beautiful new baby-doll dress! :eek: :o You can't imagine, I'm still :lol2: at myself over that everytime I think of it. You never know what your future may hold in store :p

One of the big reasons for doing that was because mail order was just too inconvienient. I always needed a reason. I always had to make sure I was there to recieve the package before anyone else. I worried about it getting lost and the delivery dates (which has happened to me). I worried about the packaging coming apart. I worried about the return addresses. I worried about what the UPS guy might think. I worried about the credit card statement. LOL I worried a lot! And still do, because I'm still wrapping my brain around fem shopping, and need to make at least one more big mail order... which I'm shopping for now.

I really should just get a PO Box, but I order so infrequently... and when I order I like to order a lot, my two previous orders came in large boxes, probably becuase of the heels tho :heehee:

So the way I'll probably do it is wait until family is gone for a few days, they leave the state to visit my sister regularly. When they do I place my order and pay for next day air. Then I'll worry a lot :p I really need for this to come when they are away or I'm busted. So... I guess I'm saying I've never been able to find a good way of explaining it to others.

That's mail order, just a bunch of anticipation mixed with anxiety. In a store I can always chicken out :p I get to pay cash and it's just tons more fun!

M

Dee 1062
07-25-2006, 10:56 PM
Private stuff, you need to tell no one anything......!

Caitlintgsd
07-26-2006, 01:10 AM
I normally just shop in a retail store. Lately I did buy a bunch of stuff online. But fedex and ups are stopping by just about everyday with parts for a car i'm restoring. So it just ends up in the mix with everything else.

kathy gg
07-26-2006, 03:51 PM
Okay I jsut read the replies about getting a PO Box...but we live in modern times. People order loads of stuff online. This is not some "NEW" medium. What I woudl do, between crossdressing order to throw off snoopy people {if that is the problem} is also order other things online....like music, movies, a book, order things from various sources.

I can't imagine in this day and age people looking at you sideways because the UPS truck is always at your house.

Anyway......I just think ordering non-cd items might make you look "less suspicious" if that is what you are worried about.

Laura Jane
07-26-2006, 04:20 PM
I have mine sent to my address but in my femme name.

Many a time a neighbour has taken in a parcel and kept it safe for me. I don't think any of them have been opened, but if they were, I don't think some knickers or skirts etc addressed to 'my girlfriend' would raise any eyebrows!