PDA

View Full Version : How do you keep your nails?

judyw9
07-22-2006, 08:06 PM
Renee's earlier pic of her nails motivated me to post a pic of mine (link below). I think mine are about the current style (the index and middle finger need a bit more length, the pinky and ring finger are perfect--just long enough to elongate the finger). I buff, shine, and shape them once a week. Just enough shine to get a light reflection but not so much as to look like nail polish. I am a corporate executive at a Fortune 500 company so I try to keep my nails as Femme as possible without looking obviously girly.

So how do the rest of you keep your nails?

http://img469.imageshack.us/img469/5162/nailscb6.jpg

Beth J
07-22-2006, 08:29 PM
Hi Judyw9,
Your nails are gorgeous! I wish I could keep mine as lovely as yours. Very nice indeed!

judyw9
07-22-2006, 08:34 PM
..any assets that she has and one of mine is that I have very femme looking hands and fast growing nails. I love having them and taking care of them (although it is a bit of work)

noname
07-22-2006, 08:40 PM
I just have them done. I've tried various colors but I'm liking natural best. I do like the french manicure but the tips seem too white, dunno if it's just me or the color of white they are using. They also only lasted 3 days with the french, so not so sure it's worth it.

Sage GG
07-22-2006, 08:42 PM
I just asked Rena how she keeps her nails and she said in the side of the truck in a coffee can.

judyw9
07-22-2006, 08:45 PM
Sharon Stone has long natural nails that are just buffed and shined and they look awesome.

Michelle Ellis
07-22-2006, 08:50 PM
Looks great! I'm always working on mine, hard to get them really fem looking like that.

M

Karren H
07-22-2006, 09:01 PM
Mine are short and usually torn up from doing home remodeling, working on cars, yard work........Stickons are my first line of offence!! hehehe

Love Karren

DanaJ
07-22-2006, 09:02 PM
I've worn nail enhancements for 2+years now (1.5 years in gels, 8 months in fiberglass) - I love going to get my nails done! I have been very lucky in finding 2 of the best nail techs ever - they are both real sweeties that really know their stuff.

Below are a few of my pix, I have hundreds of them in every length, color and style. It was hard to pick just a few :) On an everyday basis, these are the length I wear them..... I work very heavy construction work, and do home repairs, yard work, etc with them, it is easy once you get used to them :)

JoannaDees
07-22-2006, 09:02 PM
I ALWAYS keep my nails! Pulling them out would be really f#*(@!^ painful. Isn't that a common torture? What are you, some kind of silly? For I am NOT! :D

Francine
07-22-2006, 09:32 PM
my ideal nail is about 3/16" long past my finger. I try and keep them trimmed and shaped to that lenght too. And when I'm lucky..they're all 10 the same length. I might have to take a snap shot of mine too. We'll see.

Francine

CindyFinalyFree
07-22-2006, 10:20 PM
That's the sheen I've been looking for, Judy. Would you mind PM'ing me your technique in more detail? Products, rejime, etc. I myself tend to let them grow in spurts. Being that I'm not out of the closet at work, I trim them down from time to time to make it appear to anyone that 'silently takes notice' that I'm just lazy when it comes to trimming regularly. I try to keep them shaped somewhat when I do let them grow, and then 'enjoy' them on a particular week-end before trimming them down again.

Oh, and Dana, I have to say I love the pick of the pink... not so much the color as the pinky decals. MUST HAVE....

Where'd ya get that particular one? Is it a restock item, or did you just happen to stumble accross it? Simpler yet, is there an online supplier you recommend in the Beauty Club links I should look for?

Elizabeth Anne
07-22-2006, 10:47 PM
I started out trying to keep my nails long naturally but I kept breaking one & then another. I finally got the nerve to do acrylic overlays. I had them for over a year. I changed nail techs & she said I need gel overlays. It cost a little more (about $5.00 each visit & $10.00 more for the initial application) but I LOVE the gel. They are impossible to break or crack. Amazing what I do every day & never give them a second thought. They maintain their color, unlike acrylic which will yellow in time & have to be removed & new acrylic applied. I go about every 3-4 weeks for a fill in & manicure. I do, however, have her buff the shine down some so they are a matte look.

earrings
07-22-2006, 10:49 PM
DanaJ- just love your nails had mine done tonight

JenniferMint
07-23-2006, 04:42 AM
Renee's earlier pic of her nails motivated me to post a pic of mine (link below). I think mine are about the current style (the index and middle finger need a bit more length, the pinky and ring finger are perfect--just long enough to elongate the finger). I buff, shine, and shape them once a week. Just enough shine to get a light reflection but not so much as to look like nail polish. I am a corporate executive at a Fortune 500 company so I try to keep my nails as Femme as possible without looking obviously girly.

So how do the rest of you keep your nails?

http://img469.imageshack.us/img469/5162/nailscb6.jpg

I like that style! Not particularly long, not painted, but looks very good.

If I wanted to do the same to my nails, what would I have to buy? I have no clue about nail care products...

judyw9
07-23-2006, 05:18 AM
..I just pm'd you the details.

Kristen Kelly
07-23-2006, 06:20 AM
Mine are short and usually torn up from doing home remodeling, working on cars, yard work........Stickons are my first line of offence!! hehehe

Love Karren

I do the same type of work and its tough to keep from breaking a nail I try to let them grow a little longer than drab, and lately they sport a coat of clear coat polish. Have been experimenting with Acyrlics love the look but still have to be careful at work because I work around Acetone, I have taking to wearing gloves when on the production floor saves the nails, helps the hands.

Kate Simmons
07-23-2006, 09:01 AM
How do I keep them? Whole, I hope. :happy: Ericka

Patty
07-23-2006, 11:23 AM
Luv your nails- that the lenght is shine is what I like but I have 4 that do not want to do it(keep breaking)

Jodi
07-25-2006, 09:22 PM
I keep my nails buffed and polished with clear lacquer much as Judy does with hers. To keep them nice takes practice and work. GG's learn very early how to protect their nails in doing daily tasks. We, as men, have to learn this at a later age. Nails can easliy be damaged my opening soda cans, opening car doors, gripping a hammer, picking up a coin off the pavement, etc. With practice and trial & error, a girl learns how and when to protect her nails. Yes, I still break a nail occasionally, but so do gg's. I do use color on my nails occasionally, but usually, I just do the natural bit. MY nail tech tells me that when my nails look that good, there is no reason to polish them with color.

Jodi

Charleen
07-25-2006, 09:48 PM
How do I keep my nails? With a great deal of difficulty! I picked some nice tips on the Beauty Club that has really helped.They were always breaking and couldn't figure out the cause. DUH! I was opening soda cans,and in general using them as tools.:eek: It was suggested to use Sally Hanson, so I got the Hard as Nails Extra strength and between that and watching what I do with my nails, I haven't had a problem. I haven't been to a manicurist yet as I enjoy filing and shaping them myself. Keep them long and oval as that to me is femme and I love the look. Love and xxxx, Lily

Dee 1062
07-25-2006, 10:59 PM
Your nails are great and just the way I keep mind...I did let my grow long a few times and people started to notice big time so now they look like yours and no one saids anything..

tekla west
07-25-2006, 11:06 PM
nails are the second least female part of me, I do too much work with my hands, so I keep them very short.

JamieTG
07-25-2006, 11:25 PM
I use NutriNail "Maximum Nail Hardener" which I highly recommend for those of you who break nails easily. It really helps strengthen your nails so you can grow them longer. You start off with 2 coats and then every few days add a coat. I keep mine very long and very rarely break a nail.
Jamie

My_LiaSophia_Dream
07-26-2006, 01:35 AM
I love PRO STRONG from QVC - the whipsers trio is my fav as it treats the nails - hardening them and they have a very subtle tint and sheen great for everyday wear and it LASTS.

DebbieThomas
07-29-2006, 05:39 PM
playing around this morning I painted my nails Finger Paints "make a scene!" very nice pink. later went out to Sally's bought couple of bottles stripe rite polish. decided to do my nails multi color, other main color is Orly "naughty" dark burgundy with a red stripe.

theses pics are done with a flatbed scanner. the Make a scene turned red-ishorange. :( they are pretty in person. I always posted pics of my left hand someone pointed this out to me :tongueout so heres both.

Huggs
Debra T
www.urnotalone.com/debrathomas

judyw9
07-30-2006, 05:37 AM
I keep mine very long...
Jamie

Wow! Jamie, your nails are so cool! Wish I had the freedom to grow mine that long. Wouldn't take me long either as mine grow incredibly fast. Ufortunatley, have to keep them "just under the radar" as I am totally in the closet with my CDing.

Elena Ambasce
07-30-2006, 06:49 AM
Such nice nails, everyone...

I have a problem in that my nail beds are almost flat... if I try to grow my nails out, they tend to curl down forward which just isn't attractive! Plus it means home fake nails don't work very well either because they're a lot more curved... I have to glue them and really hold them down while the glue dries, and then they kind of pull the real nail up into their shape which isn't terribly comfortable.

Anyone else have this problem and a way to deal with it?

DanaJ
07-30-2006, 07:21 AM
Elena, I'm afraid there is nothing you can do with your real nails, that is built into your genetic makeup. However, you could go to a nail tech and let them make a professional evaluation and suggestion.

Depending on how brave you are, you could get an overlay done (acrylic, gel, fiberglass, etc) and build up the center section until you get a rounded nail (not flat), but the free edge would be a bit more difficult - there would always be a tendency for the seal to break. PM me for more ideas and details....