PDA

View Full Version : My first time out clothes shopping

JenniferMint
07-23-2006, 04:45 AM
I received a flyer from a clothing store named Army&Navy, saying that they were having a sale. Some of their womens' clothes looked nice. The flyer said that the sale ends tomorrow, so I decided to get off my butt and go today.

Unfortunately I got the closing times mixed up. I thought they closed at 9pm, but I got there at 5:30pm and they were closing at 6:00pm. So I only had time to buy a pair of white ladies pants. They felt really nice, better than my drab pants, although I later realized that they had no pockets, which I tend to rely on! (With guys' pants, I mostly took it for granted that they always have the zipper/button on the "correct" side and have pockets, but I now realize that with girls' pants, I have to check.)

Then I went to Sears. I liked the atmosphere at Sears more---lots more clothes to choose from, fitting rooms everywhere, not too many people around at the time I went. I bought a ladies' apricot-colored t-shirt made of some really soft fabric that I've never worn before, another pair of white pants (has pockets! but the button is on the "wrong" side), and a green apple-colored t-shirt.

I also bought something called a "Hi waist belly shaper", which I described in http://tgguide.com/message/index.php?showtopic=2160

(I didn't buy any skirts. I don't quite feel comfortable wearing them at this point, and most girls I see walking down Vancouver wear pants anyway and I'm trying to imitate them.)

While browsing the womens' section, I felt a bit self-conscious, but there weren't many other shoppers around so I just ignored them and tried to act as if I wasn't nervous and afraid of being approached, and I didn't get bothered.

I paid for my purchases without incident and left the store.

These clothes feel really nice! Unfortunately, at this point I look like a guy wearing a pink shirt and white womens' pants. The "Hi waist belly shaper" makes it so that I don't look fat at least, but I don't quite have a feminine figure. Maybe I'll look better after I get breast forms (I'm on estrogen but I have no breasts to speak of yet) and do something with my hair/eyebrows/face.

Phyliss
07-23-2006, 05:29 AM
My sister, (who knows about me) is up visiting for the weekend. Friday my charge acct. bill from Fashion Bug arrived in the mail. Wonder of wonders there was a sale flyer in the envelope about a "buy one get one for a 1$" sale going on Saturday. Now being a "responsible" adult I just had to go pay my bill. I invited my sis to go with me, and we had a grand old time shopping for some new items for me and because she has been so good to me, I decided to pay for a pretty skirt and top she fell in love with, especally after she held it up to me to get an idea of what it looked like.
Just two ladies out shopping, wow that felt so good.

So Glad you had a wonderful time shoppin for yourself. You know, of course, that now you're HOOKED and things will never be the same again. The first few times I went shopping by myself I also was nervous, but now I can "hold my own" with the best of them when it comes to shopping. Nothing like that feeling of being able to buy what you want when you want.

judyw9
07-23-2006, 05:37 AM
...I just started a month ago. Very adictive though. I've been going a few times a week.

sandra-leigh
07-23-2006, 05:55 AM
better than my drab pants, although I later realized that they had no pockets, which I tend to rely on!

I have encountered that issue a few times now. Pants, dresses, blouses, even vests, often do not have any pockets. That's okay if I'm fully dressed and carrying a purse, but if I'm trying to go low-key (i.e. as a male wearing slightly unusual clothes that aren't obviously feminine), then especially if I've had to check my coat and (usual reusable shopping) bag then I become at a loss as to what to do with my money...

Courtneygurl
07-23-2006, 05:57 AM
I went up to Shibuya today, in Tokyo, and bought a nice blue/white/pink striped shirt and white pants at Gap. I also had a great time at the various cosmetic counters in the department stores looking (and trying) the lipstick and lipgloss. I'm too afraid of using any other sort of makeup just yet - I can do lips, it's the rest that I'm not too sure of. I was in drab, but I was wearing a pair of really great women's khaki pants, women's running shoes, and of course pink panties. The way fashion goes in Japan, there's guys with more feminine flair walking around than anyplace else I've been. There's also the obvious ones wearing a skirt and tights, not even caring what anyone thinks. Man-bags are popular here; might want to get one, but a backpack is so much more convenient when hauling stuff around and taking the train.

This wasn't my first time shopping, per se, but it was my first time buying stuff for myself in such a fashion mecca as Shibuya.

Adrienne Heels
07-23-2006, 07:29 AM
Jen, shopping is so much fun that you will want to go every week! And remember, as your confidence builds, it will become so much easier. Just act like you belong there.