PDA

View Full Version : Hi everyone :) washing tights?

Lisa Maren
07-24-2006, 06:32 PM
I wash my tights by throwing them in a lingerie bag and putting them in the machine (with my load of color clothing). My black tights come out with tiny balls of lint all over them. The simplest thing is probably to wash my black tights only with black or other very dark colors -- or wash them by hand -- but I thought it couldn't hurt to ask if anyone knows a good way to get rid of that lint. To me, it feels somewhat ungirly. (Also, my black clothes load wouldn't be very large and it would be a shame to waste the water).

Hugs,
Lisa

tekla west
07-24-2006, 06:59 PM
hand wash them in cold water with woolite. Best way i know of not to get the pills as they are called.

Sarah Smile
07-24-2006, 10:18 PM
hand wash them in cold water with woolite. Best way i know of not to get the pills as they are called.

I agree... as annoying and unglamorous as it is, handwashing is the way to go with tights. Machine washing and drying will only make them wear out faster.

Stephenie S
07-24-2006, 10:52 PM
Hand wash in Woolite.
Only way to go.
And never ever put them in the dryer.

Steph

Lawren
07-25-2006, 08:11 AM
I always hand wash mine and hang them in the shower to dry.

renee99
07-25-2006, 10:49 AM
I machine wash on cold with Woolite, in a mesh bag, and machine dry on cold. No problems. Don't use fabric softener, and don't wash nylon/lycra things in the same load as anything made of cotton. Safest is to wash and dry them with nothing else.

DonnaT
07-25-2006, 11:49 AM
I see no problem washing them in the machine with black clothes.

The problem is washing them with clothes that generate lint, and especially those that generate lint when in the dryer. So choose the clothes judiciously.

Have you tried hanging them to dry after washing in the machine?

Butterfly Bill
07-25-2006, 02:36 PM
Things that small are easy to wash in a sink in room temperature water with regular laundry soap. I then put them in the washing machine and set the knob on spin. Then I hang them to dry.

You can keep from wasting water by setting the water level lower.

Lisa Maren
07-25-2006, 05:09 PM
Hi everyone

Thanks for your suggestions. I have been thinking of getting myself into the habit of washing them in the sink at night and letting them air dry. That way, at least it's only the one pair at a time.

I do use mesh bags, and I am tempted to machine wash and air dry, but my access to the machines is risky since I'm not the only one in the house who uses them. Might be too easy to get myself prematurely outed, d@mmit!

Oh well; a lady really does have to do a lot to stay pretty!

Hugs,
Lisa

Lindahexi
07-25-2006, 05:32 PM
I've tried most ways of washing tights and hand washing in lukewarm water seems the best, then as others have suggested hang to air dry.

I've had the lint pebbles on black tights in the past, and my opinion is throw them out! I never ever got them clear, and frankly it wasn't worth the effort trying; here in the Uk they are inexpensive.

Lisa Maren
07-25-2006, 05:39 PM
Hi Linda

I found some Capezio tights that are useable for dance or fashion, they claim, and they do look pretty nice, actually. (I only use black, of course and not Euro pink!). Anyway, they don't get the lint. The ones that do are the microfiber tights. The Capezio's are plain ol' 100% nylon.

Anyway, I like to keep tights on hand (in addition to pantyhose) because I like wearing my denim skirt and pantyhose only go with those under certain conditions, I think. No short, bleached, or frayed-edge denim skirt should be near pantyhose, but a knee-length, non-bleached skirt might look decent with suntan or nude or something.

Anyway, my 0.02

Hugs,
Lisa

tekla west
07-25-2006, 06:05 PM
There may be some confusion here, so allow me to try to confuse it more. Often our sisters across the pond tend to use the word "tights" to refer to what American girls call "nylons" and "stockings." Tights in the US are the cotton/nylon opaque things that ballet people wear. In the US, nylons tend to be "pantyhose" where stockings are held up with garters, which in the UK is some sort of medal or order or something, like a bath (we in the States know nothing about any of that medals or order stuff, titles and orders are prohibited under the Constitution - you say "King" we think Elvis, you say "Queen" we think Little Richard and the only Duke we know is either John Wayne or the Duke of Earl). In the UK, stockings are held up with suspenders, which in the US are only used for very nice suits and people in Hee-Haw country who could not find the bit of twine that usually holds their pants up. Being from the Bay Area, where it tends to be cold, and using the Capazzio stuff, I think she is referring to dance tights, and not nylons. Nylons are cheep, Capazzio dance tights are not. In the US, bath is what we take when we have leisure enough to not have to take a shower. However, most Americans prefer to take a shower, as, well, time is money after all.

I think the best illustration comes from an Irish friend of mine who told me once "Everywhere else in the world people work to live. In the US, people live to work."

Our last union contract dropped the paid vacation time in favor of giving us all like an extra 7% for each hour we worked as "vacation pay." and then leaving it to us to actually decide if we wanted the time off. This was in response to so many of us wanting our vacation to be cashed out / paid out, while we worked, so we could get double the money.

So, got to run, left my knickers in the boot of the lorrie - or something like that.

tekla west
07-25-2006, 06:07 PM
Its a Kinks tune.

Met a girl called Lola and I took her back to my place
Feelin guilty, feelin scared, hidden cameras everywhere
Stop! hold on. stay in control

Girl, I want you here with me
But Im really not as cool as Id like to be
cause theres a red, under my bed
And theres a little yellow man in my head
And theres a true blue inside of me
That keeps stoppin me, touchin ya, watchin ya, lovin ya

Paranoia, the destroyer.
Paranoia, the destroyer.

Well I fell asleep, then I woke feelin kinda queer
Lola looked at me and said, ooh you look so weird.
She said, man, theres really something wrong with you.
One day youre gonna self-destruct.
Youre up, youre down, I cant work you out
You get a good thing goin then you blow yourself out.

Silly boy ya self-destroyer. silly boy ya self-destroyer

Silly boy you got so much to live for
So much to aim for, so much to try for
You blowing it all with paranoia
Youre so insecure you self-destroyer

(and it goes like this, here it goes)
Paranoia, the destroyer
(here it goes again)
Paranoia, the destroyer

Dr. dr. help me please, I know youll understand
Theres a time device inside of me, Im a self-destructin man
Theres a red, under my bed
And theres a little green man in my head
And he said, youre not goin crazy, youre just a bit sad
cause theres a man in ya, knawin ya, tearin ya into two.

Silly boy ya self-destroyer.
Paranoia, the destroyer

Self-destroyer, wreck your health
Destroy friends, destroy yourself
The time device of self-destruction
Light the fuse and start eruption

(yea, it goes like this, here it goes)
Paranoia, the destroyer
(heres to paranoia)
Paranoia, the destroyer
(hey hey, here it goes)
Paranoia, the destroyer
(and it goes like this)

Paranoia, the destroyer
(and it goes like this.)

Samantha_S
07-25-2006, 06:38 PM
So, got to run, left my knickers in the boot of the lorrie - or something like that.
Great humor there tekla!

vbcdgrl
07-25-2006, 08:45 PM
Lisa, if you're talking about pantyhose, I, personally would not even attempt to wash pantyhose. But, if you must, I would wash 'em by hand using a very mild soap like Woolite. I wash all of my "delicates" by hand, 'cause I think the washing machine is too hard on 'em.

Vikki

tekla west
07-25-2006, 08:49 PM
You don't wash pantyhose? Do you wear them once and toss them, or .......eeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwww?

Stephanie Kay
07-25-2006, 08:51 PM
I have a couple of pairs of black microfiber tights (Just My Size brand) and I wash them all the time in the machine in a lingerie bag and never have a problem with pilling or running. I think it's the microfiber fabric. Try it!