PDA

View Full Version : Let's Come To Terms! A small step for a man, a giant leap for a man in a Red dress

Ranee Daze
07-25-2006, 12:59 PM
A very interesting thread about "The Closet" was confused by a misunderstanding about terms.

For example, "The Closet" to me means that my dressing is a secret to friends and family. I still go out as Ranee Daze but no one in this world is able to connect Ranee Daze with Gilbert Gimmell (not my real name).

Clearly to others being closeted means dressing at home and not going out at all.

I wish that we could all vote on terms to make the forum work better.

Terms like drag, dressing, transgender, closeted, etc. all laid down on a page so we can communicate our ideas between us better.

tekla west
07-25-2006, 01:09 PM
I thought that closet was stay at home, tell no one.

To be out is to be out - some people might not know, but that does not mean that in other circles its not common knowladge.

Wife not knowing is not in or out of the closet, its lying.

Jenna1561
07-25-2006, 01:33 PM
I have always understood the phrase "The Closet" to mean that no one or only a very small circle of people knew about the crossdressing. But that the crossdresser might or might not venture out to be seen in public by strangers.

I still consider myself in "The Closet" though I recently told my wife of 20 years. Besides internet acquaintences, only she and a few people from an out-of-town support group know about Jenna.

But, yes I do frequently dress and go out shopping and such.

Jenna

Carroll
07-25-2006, 01:35 PM
Closet dresser= In secret...no body knows
House dresser= In the house or your own property. Family and maybe a few friends
Out of Town dresser=leaves the town to dress
party dresser=Goes only to clubs dressed
and finally..
I don't give a rat's a$$ dresser= everybody knows including your 1st grade teacher back in Zap, ND!

:D Carroll

Karren H
07-25-2006, 02:18 PM
Darn.....left my TG dictonary/handbook in the closet again. :D I did see a good list somewhere. Maybe "Crossdress for Success" or the "Lazy Crossdresser"... But any list we vote on has to meet ASTM standards and be UL approved!! Hehe

Love Karren

tekla west
07-25-2006, 02:29 PM
Really, ASTM standards? I would prefer we use SAE standards, make them DIN compliant and meet all ISO 9000 guidelines.

However little engineer lady, its the MLA that gets to determine words, not engineers, we thought we would leave that word thing to people who use them, write them, and read them.

Sharon
07-25-2006, 02:59 PM
Maybe instead of using terms that may be confusing or misinterpreted, just write what you mean..., unless, of course, I get to be the one who writes the dictionary and dictate what means what.

clos·et (klŏz'ĭt, klô'zĭt)
n.
A cabinet or enclosed recess for linens, household supplies, or clothing.
A small private chamber, as for study or prayer.
A water closet; a toilet.
A state of secrecy or cautious privacy: Two days before the election, the candidate suddenly came out of the closet and denounced the proposed law.

Jodi Lynn
07-25-2006, 05:53 PM
House dresser= In the house or your own property. Family and maybe a few friends
and finally..
I don't give a rat's a$$ dresser= everybody knows including your 1st grade teacher back in Zap, ND!

Right now under these trems I would call myself a "house dresser" as only my wife and one other person knows. But I have been a "party dresser" in the past. That was over a year ago.

trannie T
07-25-2006, 06:10 PM
This shows how ambigious words describing crossdressing can be. "Closet," "drag," "out," and others are words that can have different meanings when used by different people or when used in different contexts. I like Carroll's terms but until they become part of the language we should be more specific.

Teresa Amina
07-25-2006, 08:04 PM
and finally..

Very good and easy to understand! I'll still refer to my Comfy Closet, though, even if I might otherwise be a House Dresser. Look forward to becoming an Out of Town dresser!:D