PDA

View Full Version : 1 $50 panty, or 25 $2 panties?

tekla west
07-26-2006, 03:29 PM
You have two choices.

Choice ONE - you can have rooms full of clothes, all from outlet malls, low grade discount stuff, and the like. You know, cheap, not high fashion or anything, but lets say about $1000 dollars worth, which should be at least one room full.

----- OR ----------

Choice B - You get the following:
-enough lingerie for one week (do your wash) of French and Italian couture quality (Argentovivo, Rien, Aubade, Chantelle, Ravage, Cristina Iaia, Simone Perele, I.D.Sarrieri - that kind of stuff).
- one Versace, Jones New York, Anne Klein, Evan Picone or similar quality evening dress - LBD or gown
- one DKNY suit - because money calls and because I love DKNY cuts.
- a few, very few, other skirts and dresses, all like Sac' 5th Ave quality

the above also runs about $1K.

Do you want quality and fashion, or a big pile of stuff? Would you rather have one $200-300 dress that fit you right, or 20 $10 discount/WallMart dresses?

Charleen
07-26-2006, 03:53 PM
BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBLove and xxxx, Lily

janelle
07-26-2006, 03:57 PM
You buying dear, i'll either one, hehehe

SherryLynn GG
07-26-2006, 03:57 PM
I dont know for sure if you were directing this toward everyone but I wanted to answer :) lol

Personally id rather have alot of clothes as to have a few expensive things...im not a label person....or as my friend calls herself a label ***** lol thats not me at all....I dont care if my clothes come from the mall or a big store as long as its something I like and it fits me right....which by the way, the cost of clothes doesnt actually mean its gonna fit better or look any better...id much rather have 10 outfits that I look great in as to have 2 that cost just as much as the 10....just my opinion :)

fionasboots
07-26-2006, 04:15 PM
Well, much as I would love to say "expensive and classy" I've not really experienced this top-end fashion stuff (cue sympathy and offers of cash) so I'd have to say I'd go for the room full of stuff - at least I've got a better chance of getting outfits to match, I'd be almost certain to get it wrong with only a few possibilities of the expensive stuff:heehee:

And as you can see (hopefully, if I've attached the pic correctly) I can *really* do "cheap" justice :lol:

If that skirt isn't "cheap" I don't know what is :heehee:

(okay, I just used this thread as an excuse to show off my legs again, sorry all)

annekathleen
07-26-2006, 04:42 PM
I'll take the 50 two dollar panties!
its just a matter of who sees them on me, and who's
either pulling them down or pulling them aside,
to have their way with me.:o

tekla west
07-26-2006, 05:01 PM
I set it up this way because it is NOT a matter of the money. The amount of money is the same either way. Its a QUALITY vs. Quantity argument at root.

A few years ago - our pond sisters will get this of course - I was in London on biz and the boys and me did what all American men do in London (besides shag some bird and visit the technology stuff in Kensington) we went to Saville Row and got measured for suits and had them made for us. (Rate of exchange at the time was awesome from US to UK)

Now, that suit is the same shade of gray as my other suit. But the fit is so much better, and every time (and I mean EVERY time I wear it the girls tell me how good I look in it.) They don't see the label, they see that it looks right on me.

So, to me, one Saville Row suit, tailored to me, is better than three from the Suit Barn or where ever else you get discount suits.

Flat out, the expensive stuff is made better, lasts longer, fits nicer and feels much more divine. That's why its more expensive up front. However....

You could buy a Benz. Its expensive. Given proper maintenance it will last a long, long time. Matter of fact, its going to last about as long as 3 mid-range Ford/Chevy products. Add up the three Fords and you get = to one Benz. So, which would you rather drive for 30 years? One Benz, or three cheep fords? Anyone who picks the Ford has obviously never had to really hit the brakes at 70mph, if you have, the Benz is a no brainer.

SherryLynn GG
07-26-2006, 05:15 PM
I set it up this way because it is NOT a matter of the money. The amount of money is the same either way. Its a QUALITY vs. Quantity argument at root.

A few years ago - our pond sisters will get this of course - I was in London on biz and the boys and me did what all American men do in London (besides shag some bird and visit the technology stuff in Kensington) we went to Saville Row and got measured for suits and had them made for us. (Rate of exchange at the time was awesome from US to UK)

Now, that suit is the same shade of gray as my other suit. But the fit is so much better, and every time (and I mean EVERY time I wear it the girls tell me how good I look in it.) They don't see the label, they see that it looks right on me.

So, to me, one Saville Row suit, tailored to me, is better than three from the Suit Barn or where ever else you get discount suits.

Flat out, the expensive stuff is made better, lasts longer, fits nicer and feels much more divine. That's why its more expensive up front. However....

You could buy a Benz. Its expensive. Given proper maintenance it will last a long, long time. Matter of fact, its going to last about as long as 3 mid-range Ford/Chevy products. Add up the three Fords and you get = to one Benz. So, which would you rather drive for 30 years? One Benz, or three cheep fords? Anyone who picks the Ford has obviously never had to really hit the brakes at 70mph, if you have, the Benz is a no brainer.

I guess maybe the difference in my opinion with yours is the fact that when I buy clothes I am buying for everyday wear, I have to have enough clothes for everyday of the week...not just for "dressing up"...ya know as far as expensive clothes being made better & lasting longer...clothes bought from anywhere will last along time with proper care & not to mention if I rip a shirt im not out $50 or some expensive price of the clothes....and to be quite honest, the price of clothes to me has nothing to do with how I feel while wearing them......Im sure there will be lots that disagree, but again im sure its because I wear these clothes everyday and not just on occassion.....I mean if someone told me I had $1000 to go spend on clothes from wherever I want..I would go to cheaper places so id get more clothes, but hey maybe thats just me....either way I look good in my wal mart, kmart and consignment shop clothes :heehee: but anywho this is just my opinion on the subject0.02

Rebecca Petersen
07-26-2006, 05:20 PM
QUALITY anytime. Clothes, cars, or what have you. Let's take it one step further/farther. How about a large quantity of quality. That's livin' honey.
Rebecca

linnea
07-26-2006, 05:21 PM
I don't care about labels, but I do care about fit. Whatever I buy has to fit well and flatter my figure. Often that means buying something a little more expensive but not necessarily.
Given the choice of lots of clothes that fit all right (my version of "A") or a few more expensive clothes that fit really well (my version of "B"), I would take "B" every time.

Joy Carter
07-26-2006, 05:47 PM
Not Expensive not cheep just good stuff . By the way who on earth pay's thirty dollars for panties and sixty dollars for a bra ? :Angry3:

Phyliss
07-26-2006, 06:54 PM
...... By the way who on earth pay's thirty dollars for panties and sixty dollars for a bra ? :Angry3:

I did, once. and that was the last time. I know better now.

Wendi_cd
07-26-2006, 06:57 PM
My best pair of panties are cheap wal-mart specials.
My best bra is a $25 Victoria Secrets.

Price means nothing, comfort is everything. :)

Would you rather have a $1000 coture dress that's not suitable for wearing.. anywhere.. or $1000 worth of clothes you could wear everyday PLUS some that are suitable for dressy occassions.

That's pretty much a no brainer.

Holly
07-26-2006, 07:07 PM
I'm a card carrying member of Fashion Bug... does that count?

elizabeth nicole
07-26-2006, 07:19 PM
Heck just let me go in cato with half of it.I will be in heaven for a year,then give me the other half.Iwould rather have clothes that fit than something i could only wear on special occasions.I much prefer sensible and wearable.

brittanny
07-26-2006, 07:49 PM
well I would most definatly have more less expensive stuff to choose from than a few very expensive things I like the variaty and if there is something I dont like after I wear it I'm not out much

as for the Benz thing now I have never owned a Benz or any forign vehicle for that matter but I happen to own a cpl fords that are over 30 yers old and they have been maintained and are still just as good to me as a new one and better than a forign vehicle I have a 1950 ford that is all original including engine no overhaul or anything a 1979 ford all original that one I drive almost every day a 1970 ford that is getting a new engine but after a cpl hundred thousand miles that is just maintence I also have an 86 ford wich admittedly dosnt do too good but it has over 400 thousand on it with no overhaul and a 2005 ford which of course has no problems but only 13000 on it and would expect the same type of reliabilty from a chevy or dodge I dont argue that a benz is a fine auto but I dont feel its any better than any other auto just my opinion

EricaCD
07-26-2006, 08:31 PM
In this range, I'd go for the quality.

There is a certain price point at which I agree that you are paying for a label and precious little more. (Armani leaps to mind.) On the other hand, especially when it comes to women's lingerie, there IS a difference between the high end stuff and the mid-range. The first time you put on a Lise Charmel or Aubade bra, and find out that lace does not need to feel scratchy, you will know what I mean...Then just try a Tahari suit (especially Elie Tahari!!!!!) against a Kasper A.S.L.

Don't get me wrong - most of my clothes are distinctly in mid-range territory! But I am keenly aware of the difference between, say, DKNY and your generic off-brand.

Plus, I don't get to dress that often - so I'd rather wear the nice stuff when I can! And with a little bit of tailoring, nice brands become truly wonderful :)

Erica

Barb Valentine
07-26-2006, 08:52 PM
I'm quite happy going to the thrift stores
I don't need high fashion (Still in the closet)
As long as I like it that all that matters

Bernice
07-26-2006, 09:44 PM
Clothes are different than cars or airplanes. I have moods. To satisfy moods, I need variety. I've already made choice A, and have two rooms full of clothing (most of which no longer fits :( ). Besides, some of my stuff is 25 years old, and still is wearable, despite not being Armani or whatever. This is a benefit of never purging! To be sure, I sometimes get good quality stuff at a thrift shop or church rummage sale. Those are the best bargains!

trannie T
07-26-2006, 10:25 PM
I like to buy quality things. . . . .in thrift stores. The best of both worlds.
Seems like the more I pay for something the worse it fits.

Karren H
07-26-2006, 10:45 PM
A few really nice things over volumes for me anyday. And if they are on clearence even better!! I shop a lot but don't buy just anything. It has to be nice, in style, fit and not break the bank!! And fem jeans aren't on my nice list. Hehe

Love Karren

kristytv
07-26-2006, 11:35 PM
ok , first off i am in the middle on this quailty vs quanity , it depends on each item, some things i will splurge on as the quailty makes it so much better, and if i can get more for x dollar i have to look at that too. tekla, i cant belive you would compare a ford and benz ford IS the higher quailty cars of the american cars . and my fords stop just fine at 70 mph and my kitty does especailly well at 100+ coming down . and after beign in the service end of it for 12 years and works on european cars and americn cars, american hands down, european cars though well engneered, and quialty is good, are made to be replaceable, how many cars from over there do you see past 10 years old that arent junked? as where here , 50 percent of the cars on the road are 10 years or older . you have to look at the whole picture and the driving conditions of both areas

GINA-CD
07-27-2006, 12:13 AM
OK, the cars debate should be matter of a different post girls....

For me, I'd go for the not so expensive, not so cheap approach, just something in between...

Sometimes cheap clothes fit well, make me look good and also put a smile on my face, which makes me look better...

I agree that variety is very very important, so definitely I won't go for the expensive clothes.

Ms. Laura
07-27-2006, 07:58 AM
I guess I'd go for the quantity to be honest. The variety is so much more fun. If I were wearing everyday, in public however, I'd go for quality. In my drab clothes, stuff from Old Navy or Target is good for some time, but my Ralph Lauren shirts and pants have way outlasted everything, and looked the best too.

It would be a dream to shop for designer clothes though. sigh....

Casey Morgan
07-27-2006, 08:41 AM
I think I understand what you're getting at tekla. You're talking about things like factory seconds, slightly irregulars, and the like, yes? Which are not the same as inexpensive, which I think is what some people are thinking you mean.

I'm not sure I'm the right person to answer this. I'd go with option 1 but perhaps not for the reasons you or others might think. You see, I used to have a limited male wardrobe. I had four pairs of Dockers-type pants and four or five polo shirts, which got me through Monday through Thursday (our business casual days). I had one pair of jeans and a bunch of T-shirts (still do) for Friday (our dress down day).

I never really cared about getting dressed Monday through Thursday. In fact I was starting to get depressed (not going into depression, just blue). But interestingly I always looked forward to Friday. I'd pick out my Friday T-shirt on Sunday. I do my laundry on Sunday so whatever I wear on Sunday I can't wear the following Friday. I was really getting into a funk and I didn't know what to do about it.

Then it hit me: buy more polo shirts. Most of what I had were company shirts so I started pretty much from scratch. I bought two polo shirts to specifically wear with each color pants I had, giving me eight shirts. My whole attitude is different now. I like getting up and having a choice of shirts to wear.

So I'd have to go with having choices, just to avoid getting stuck in a rut again and getting into a funk. I'm assuming it's implied that it's no fair going out and buying more clothes than you'd get with either option. So I may not feel great about the clothes I wear but I could handle that better than not really having choices.

Angie G
07-27-2006, 08:48 AM
I go for both if the price is right I won't spend $70 on shoes Ifind a $ 30 pair jost fine the same for dresses skirts orlingerie it's nit hard to make me happy:
Angie G.