PDA

View Full Version : UK TV(that's television), Different for Girls.

MonaSmith
12-06-2004, 05:36 PM
I just noticed that on Wednesday night at 11.55pm, BBC1 are showing a film called Different for girls. It is a TS drama/romantic comedy, which isn't half as bad as it sounds. I haven't seen it for a couple of years, but I remember it being respectful of the subject and handling it well. I also remember Steven Mackintosh, who plays Karl/Kim, as being very good in the role.

Just thought that I would let you all, all who can get BBC1 that is, know.

Julie
12-06-2004, 05:43 PM
Thanks Mona. Just checked the BBC site and it looks a fairly good film, looks like I'll have to video it or I'll only get about 4 hours sleep before having to get up. It's been so long since I've had to video anything I hope the blooming thing still works.

JJ

Trinity_cat
12-06-2004, 06:03 PM
Got to check this one out. Thanks Mona.

I noticed far down the cast list - Ian Dury ?
Would this be the same Ian Dury who sang "Hit me with your rythmn stick"

Hit me slowly hit me quick :p

MonaSmith
12-06-2004, 06:07 PM
Hi Trinity,

I only saw the film once about 3 or 4 years ago, so I don't remember him being in it, but he was in a few movies, so chances are high that it's him.

MonaSmith
12-06-2004, 06:15 PM
Hi Allison,

I'm sure that it is available on dvd, most things are these days.

I have been watching The Professionals recently, which I borrowed from my sister, I love that I can now buy, or borrow from my sis, all my childhood memories.

Julie
12-06-2004, 06:20 PM
I'm sure that it is available on dvd, most things are these days.

That might well be the route I'll have to follow, I've got over a 1000 DVD's surrounding me and Different for girls isn't amongst them.

JJ

Julie
12-06-2004, 06:27 PM
Drats Allison you beat me again. :D

Region 1 is good for me also, just seen it varying from between 9 &15 dollars.

JJ

MonaSmith
12-06-2004, 06:29 PM
Allison,

I have been working my way through the first series of the Professionals and it is waaaaayyy more homoerotic than I remembered, lol. Doyle has cheekbones to die for and the perm!! Worth every penny that my sister spent on them. We sat there watching them in fits of laughter, taking the piss all the way through. They really don't make programmes like that anymore.

I was about to post the region 1 thing too. I am obviously too distracted or just too slow.

Julie
12-06-2004, 06:40 PM
I've got a Digitron multi-region DVD connected up with surround sound, both my computers I have downloaded a patch so that the DVD's are multi-region.
My portable DVD is multi-region but the Phillips in my bedroom is only Region 2.

No worries about signing your guest book, your hard work there deserved a response.

JJ

Jen_TGCD
12-06-2004, 07:18 PM
Allison,

We sat there watching them in fits of laughter, taking the piss all the way through.

Translation please ! ! ! :confused: It's sounds kind of... ummm... hard to do! :p

MonaSmith
12-06-2004, 07:25 PM
Sorry Jen,

Brit speak, We basically were making fun of it (taking the piss) as we watched it. If you've ever seen Mystery Science Theatre 3000, that's kind of what we were doing.

My big sister and I are very similar in our sense of humour and tastes, we used to share clothes sometimes too, although she doesn't know that.

Jen_TGCD
12-06-2004, 08:03 PM
Sorry Jen,

Brit speak, We basically were making fun of it (taking the piss) as we watched it.
Okay... this is making more sense now.

Getting pissed... is getting drunk or drinking a lot.
Taking the piss... is making fun of something.

So, a group of girls could be taking the piss while watching some guys get pissed! Right?

This is so much easier than learning French or Spanish!!! :D

MonaSmith
12-07-2004, 04:07 AM
By George! I think she's got it!

Totally correct Jen. Also being 'pissed off' is being upset or angry, which should not be confused with being pissed on, which is a whole different web forum altogether.

Isn't the English language handy? One word has so many uses.

Trinity_cat
12-07-2004, 07:32 AM
we are divided by a common language

Don't know who said that but it's true.

Lucy Coleman
12-07-2004, 08:29 AM
I bought a fantastic, and somewhat expensive, Sony 650 watt surround sound DVD set up, and the dang thing isn't multi region, and no button codes for it.
Allison

Find yourself a friendly Sony repairman, most of the Sony's I've brought (for my work) have been converted to multi-region using a special remote control.

Julie
12-08-2004, 04:41 PM
I just noticed that on Wednesday night at 11.55pm, BBC1 are showing a film called Different for girls. It is a TS drama/romantic comedy, which isn't half as bad as it sounds. I haven't seen it for a couple of years, but I remember it being respectful of the subject and handling it well. I also remember Steven Mackintosh, who plays Karl/Kim, as being very good in the role. Just thought that I would let you all, all who can get BBC1 that is, know.

Link with a brief outline.

http://www.flp.com/films/different_for_girls/

JJ