PDA

View Full Version : Face Taping, Who Does and What Works Best

KewTnCurvy GG
12-06-2004, 08:05 PM
Greetings All! Missed ya grrlies:) Will provide update in the Sherlyn and Kew thread on me travels. However, here I'm interested in finding out who tapes (if ya cares to share) and what they use for tape. Also, curious to know when you started taping (right off or as the years progressed). Do you find one type of tape better, more effective than another? Me grrlie tapes and frequently has problems with the tape taking off skin (ouch!) Also, I've tried doing the taping technique (she has tried to teach me) but I never get it exactly right :rolleyes: . Is there a method to your taping madness and if so, care to share?

hugs
kew

Vallari
12-06-2004, 08:38 PM
Well I just bought some tape today for the occasion! Ive never tried it before myself but I wanna give it a go this weekend. I saw a tip that stated you can give yourself more of a fem arch in the brows by taping just above the brow and pulling the skin slightly and taping the other end to your wig cap. I still have to find the wig cap, but that shouldnt be a problem! :o

As for tape types, I most often hear people recommend clear sugical tape. Apparently you should clean the skin first with an alcohol based toner before to increase the stickiness of the tape. Im guessing you put on foundation and powder over it to hide it.

Hope this is of some help to you. Ill try it this weekend and reply here again if I discover anything new. :)

KewTnCurvy GG
12-06-2004, 09:01 PM
BTW, that's taping technique on her not me--lol. Although I maybe getting near that age where it may be needed. LOL Anyhooo, love the input. Thanks Rachel, I'll look for your update on the subject:D

hugs
kew

Sweet Susan
12-06-2004, 09:04 PM
I have never heard of this before. The things we learn............

KewTnCurvy GG
12-06-2004, 09:06 PM
I have never heard of this before. The things we learn............

Yea, she totally changes the contour and shape of her face by doing this. It gives a very realistic effect. It enhances her features and makes them look more feminine. Much more feminine. Her boi self, quite boi. :)

hugs
kew

Rhonda Callahan
12-06-2004, 09:24 PM
I got the tip from Julie, I think, It's on the Helpful and Hot tips section. The clear sugical tape is not only cheap, but you can do all sorts of things with it, not that I have yet, but, it's a lot cheaper than the special tape I bought off the tele a year or so ago, and it sticks better. Yes, you put your makeup over it to hide it, as well as, pulling your wig over it. LOL

clarissa3d
12-06-2004, 09:24 PM
first off -OUCH-
if the beard hair follicle is large, taping is not a good first start. You will need to start with a beard or hair retardant, a cream that will slowly reduce the size of the follicle then you can go toward a little less pain with tweezing or epilador.
The facial skin is very thin layerd and as you have found has a tendicany to uhh damage the skin.

hope this helps

Jen_TGCD
12-06-2004, 09:30 PM
Kew...

Try this link... www.draag.com/tips/prep/wigcap1.html (http://www.draag.com/tips/prep/wigcap1.html)

Also... www.draag.com/tips/face/help1.html (http://www.draag.com/tips/face/help1.html)

Tora recommends Transpore Medical Tape but I have not found it here. The last time, I bought a 3M waterproof type tape. I threw away the box so I don't know the actual name. It's stretchy, about an inch wide, beige colored and fairly comfortable... I taped my brows and above the ears. This time I did use a skin prep wipe (found at www.thebreastformstore.com (http://www.thebreastformstore.com/) ) before I applied the tape and it stayed on all day (about 12 hours) and still came off easily.

If you are in a book store, look for, Making Faces by Kevyn Aucoin. He has a section about taping, also. More on a professional level.

I have never lost any skin while taping so I'm not sure what Sherlyn is doing wrong. A good thing to do when removing tape is to get in the shower and take it off in there... after running some warm water on the taped areas. Also, removes any leftover traces of makeup that my be lingering.

Another thing I do is put some "It Stays!" on the top of the tape to make it sticky and then press some of the wig hair (or your real hair) over it to help hide the tape. It's better than trying to hide the tape with makeup. ("It Stays!" is another product from The Breastform Store. It's good for keeping straps in place and a lot of other uses when you want something to stay in place.)

Hope this helps a bit. It takes some practice to get it right but the effect is wonderful.

Vallari
12-06-2004, 09:34 PM
As far as the brow thing goes - I guess you'll have to check the mirror often to make sure either strip of tape doesnt give or else you'll walk around looking permanantly intrigued or confused! :D

Jen_TGCD
12-06-2004, 10:11 PM
Regarding when I started doing the tape thing...

I've only been doing full makeup for about 6 or 7 years but started taping my brows right away. I've thinned them out but they were still too low and straight. I can get away with out taping but the look is better when I do.

I started doing the "instant facelift" technique about two years ago and love the effect. I've said before that I have spent my life outdoors and in the sun. So, at about age 45, with makeup, my face looked more like that of a 65 year old woman. The makeup enhanced every line, scar, pore and wrinkle, a lot! Not very attactive! Pulling the skin slightly toward and over the ear, smoothes out all the flaws and really does take years off my appearance.

By the way, those are my real eye brows in the avatar... pulled up, lined with a pencil and smudged with a brow comb. Also, did the facelift thing.

At any age, taping the brows really makes a difference. The facelift technique is good for those that may have some flaws in their skin, like acne scars or just to tighten some loose skin. You can also use this technique for jowls or the wattle (turkey neck). Pull the skin up and under the lower ear and tape. It's harder to hide the tape doing this but using "It Stays!" and sticking some strands of hair over it will help.

Okay... enough, Jen!!! :o

Jen_TGCD
12-06-2004, 10:16 PM
As far as the brow thing goes - I guess you'll have to check the mirror often to make sure either strip of tape doesnt give or else you'll walk around looking permanantly intrigued or confused! :D
<<<LOL>>>>>>>>

Yes... you better make sure they both stick well!!! <<<<LOL>>>>:D

Jennifer Ivy
12-06-2004, 10:20 PM
Transpore Medical Tape can be special ordered by the case (12 rolls for about $90US) from your WalMart pharmacist.

Jen_TGCD
12-06-2004, 10:29 PM
Taping can leave some nasty scabs if you're too agressive (too high an arch on the eyebrow) and/or leave it on too long. The scabs can take months to heal and may leave a permanent scar. So go easy and don't leave it on for too long.

I found even when I went easy I couldn't make the night without getting a headache. So I quit doing it. I'll wait for FFS, it's about a year or more off.
This is true... you don't need to pull your eyebrow up to your hair line. It doesn't take much pressure to lift the skin on your forehead. Just a half inch is more than enough. If you want that high of an arch, shave off your eyebrows and paint them on! :p

Use common sense. When taking the tape off... do it slowly... don't rip it off. If it doesn't come off easily... wipe the tape with oil or soak it with cold cream or something similar.

The stretchy tape that I used last time was fine for 12 hours. My wig did give me a headache though!!! (That's another story!!!) :o

DonnaT
12-07-2004, 12:03 AM
I commented on this in a couple of threads

See http://crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=43619#post43619

If you look at the photo, you'll notice the arched brows.

A tried the taping technique to create the arches, but modified a couple of things.

First, the wig cap just wanted to slide off my head under the wig. So I bought an 1 inch wide ace type elastic bandage. The difference with this bandage is that it doesn't use pins, it sticks to itself and nothing else.

I wrapped it around my head to form the band similar to that shown below:
http://beautytrends.com/002c/img/5702.jpg

Then I placed the wig cap over the band, the band forming a slight ridge preventing the cap from sliding backwards on my head.

I was then able to use the clear plastic medical tape to arch the brows. First, though, I had to wipe the forehead with alcohol to dry the oil to enable the tape to stick, as only a small bit of tape (1/2 inch) is attached to the skin.

After taping, the concealer and foundation was applied. With the wig in place, the tape cannot be seen.

Taping was based on techique at links posted above by Jen_TGCD.

The technique is overexagerated because it is for drag shows. reducing the amount of tension on the tape will make the arch more natural.

Allcohol was used to dry the forehead of oils so tape would stick.

My wife accused me of plucking, and I had to explain the taping technique.

Vallari
12-07-2004, 12:12 AM
Is it possible to use the tape to secure the wig-cap to you head too or is it just more practical to get a headband?

KewTnCurvy GG
12-07-2004, 12:22 AM
Thanks big time grrlies! This is helping me figure out what she might be doing wron....I mean what she needs to be doing. I tried to get her to do the thing you suggest Donna based on a show on CD's I'd seen on the TLC channel but she didn't go for it. However, I think she'd get a more suble effect without all the taping she does. Also, she uses *cough* scotch tape. I think a surgical type tape would work better. However, at the store I found this waterproof. Although it wasn't the Transpore tape of which you spoke (this is great tape, we used by the carton full at the vascular surgeon's office where I worked). I need to get me paws on some of that tape:)

Many thanks grrlies!

hugs
kew

Sharon
12-07-2004, 12:23 AM
Sorry Rachel, I'm still laughing at your previous post!

DonnaT
12-07-2004, 12:23 AM
I would venture to guess headband. Wig might slip right off the tape if too much is used. I found it more secure to have a headband. Of course that may have all been in my aging mind.

A good headband and large U shape hairpins are most efficent for holding the wig secure.

On He's A Lady they used some type of clips. I think they had professionals setting their wigs though, as they looked impossible to do on your own.

Sharon
12-07-2004, 12:30 AM
Still laughing, but let me say what I've found to work well for me.
I use two bobby pins (don't know if they're called that outside the US) and attach the wig to my hair at the temples. The wig cap is enough for me otherwise and I choose not to tape (not worth the trouble in my opinion). Whatever hair you have, try to tie it in a ponytail and this will keep the wig from riding up in the back.
So that's it: two bobbypins, cap, and ponytail. And then wear a smile to stretch those wrinkles tight.

Celeste GG
12-07-2004, 12:51 AM
I use double sided wig tape for my girls. For atachment to the skin, then any elastic type tape can go over the wig cap.