PDA

View Full Version : Skirts with leggings

jeri1973
07-29-2006, 05:38 AM
I am currently on a trip to New York City and I noticed a lot of ggs wearing mini skirts and leggings and also shorts with leggings. Is this a trend that is catching on across the US. I really hope so because I liked the look so much that I can't wait to get home and order me some cropped leggings to wear with my skirts. Anyone else tried this type of outfit?

Karren H
07-29-2006, 06:24 AM
Leggings are all the rage.....but haven't seen a single pair in Pittsburgh. We'll see them next year or 2....

Love Karren

Imogen_Mann
07-29-2006, 07:09 AM
Havent seen it in the UK much.... Not since the early '90's maybe a bit of a retro movement ?

XX

Jayme

allisonrn06
07-29-2006, 07:32 AM
I live in PA and have seen gg's wearing them.I like the look,but haven't bought an outfit like this yet

oztallulah
07-29-2006, 07:48 AM
I have seen them around in Australia here and there. Now, please don't get upset with this poor girls opinion, but.......... I think they are, um, a nowhere outfit. A skirt is a skirt, and a skirt is normally worn to possibly show off legs. To wear leggings with a skirt is sort of, well, I think like 'no mans land'. I mean, why bother? Neither femme nor masculine. Maybe 'unisex'. To me, definitely unfeminine. 0.02 :rant:

But that is only my opinion. I guess I wear what I like and others do the same and we shouldn't make judgements on those grounds. Don't hate me for my opinion girls, please.:happy:

Jerry
07-29-2006, 07:59 AM
I love the look too. I've always thought it was a younger look, tho. I've worn leggings in the past in cooler weather with shorts and flats. It's a nice look that's comfortable. Try it!
Hugs, Jerry

terrigurl
07-29-2006, 08:02 AM
I bought a pair in white and another in black, but I haven't had a chance to wear them yet. It's just too darn hot! I think it's a cute look, especially in cooler weather. I did wear the white pair with a red skirt, but I haven't had the pictures developed yet to see how they looked. It felt very sexy to have them on though.

Angie G
07-29-2006, 08:10 AM
I don't care for it just my0.02 thank you.:hugs:
Angie G.

trannie T
07-30-2006, 01:49 AM
Great for the cooler weather, and you don't have to be too thorough when you shave your legs.

tekla west
07-30-2006, 01:58 AM
I like them too

Sarah Smile
07-30-2006, 02:49 AM
I guess I'm the odd girl out. I hate the look. I hope it dies a quick death. 0.02

EricaCD
07-30-2006, 09:32 AM
That's the great thing about fashion - reasonable people get to differ (and so do I!)

Jayme - I actually saw this look on a lot of young-ish folks in London in late spring. A few weeks later this combo started showing up in New York City and now seems pretty common - at least in NY and Chicago. I don't know whether it jumped over from the Atlantic, but I sure didn't recall seeing it in the States in the Spring.

I think it's a super-cute look. Usually girls are wearing capri length leggings under a very short denim skirt. The leggings are often more sheer than your regular leggings - more like nylon tights than leggings. And yes, it's wonderful for covering up imperfect shaving (and for getting some use out of mini-skirts that are a little too short for wear by themselves!).

Erica

Robertacd
07-30-2006, 01:20 PM
I see girls (late teen early 20's) around here wearing jeans and a skirt.

YES jeans and a Skirt:eek:

Usually a knee to full length gypsy style or basic cotton patterned skirt over a pair of any old blue jeans.

I certainly hope this is NOT becoming a style trend.:thumbsdn:

Rachel Morley
07-30-2006, 01:42 PM
Layering of a different kind perhaps? I haven't seen it yet, but it sounds like it might look cute. :happy:

It's listed here as one of the top 10 trends for girls:
http://www.mallofamerica.com/teens_fashion_expert_listing_objectname_teens_fash ion_art.aspx

Sarah Smile
07-30-2006, 02:17 PM
Layering of a different kind perhaps? I haven't seen it yet, but it sounds like it might look cute. :happy:

It's listed here as one of the top 10 trends for girls:
http://www.mallofamerica.com/teens_fashion_expert_listing_objectname_teens_fash ion_art.aspx

lol. Their list looks very 80's. All that is old is new again, I guess.

myMichelle
07-30-2006, 02:31 PM
I guess I'm the odd girl out. I hate the look. I hope it dies a quick death. 0.02

This may not be a very popular viewpoint, but I'm afraid I agree.

Paula G
07-30-2006, 02:57 PM
Saw a teenage girl wearing the skirt/leggings for the first time at the grocery store today. Didn't like the way it looked at all, and hope it doesn't stay around.

Roberta Lynn
07-30-2006, 03:33 PM
Chicago Tribune had a full page story on this trend in todays Style section.
called it '80s' Redux. Advice on leggings

Quotes from the story
"Don't let your butt show like in the "80s; don't substitute it for pants".

"Do wear it with a dress, a suit, a flimsy little dress from summer; wear it with a skirt that may be a little too short otherwise.
:love:

kathy gg
07-30-2006, 03:36 PM
Yeah, it is the rage this summer in Toronto. But defidntly for the younger {say under 25 } set.

I sported this look my senior year and first year of college. It is for sure 90-91 re-rtend. Usually the leggings have lace on the bottom and the shorter the skirt the better. We did it back then with shorts too, but skirts were for sure the hippier option. Alsowearing them with empire waiste dresses, and not just in black and white too! I find it funny that it came back.

I think I will pass this time though. Once was enough!

urban gypsy
07-30-2006, 03:42 PM
I love my leggings with my denim skirt, sequined top and flat silver pumps.
its so comfortable and a great look.

Kimberly
07-30-2006, 05:30 PM
mini skirt with cut off tights.

Mmmm... :)

Tgirl74
07-30-2006, 08:46 PM
I too have noticed 80's fashion coming back, leggings seem to be all the rage along with pointy flats.Maybe pantyhose will make a comeback!

stacie
07-30-2006, 09:14 PM
The look is coming back But it is more for girls in there teens and young 20,s. But I do like the leggings they are more of a footless pantyhose style.

Marla S
07-30-2006, 09:17 PM
It's a trend here too, but Kathy is right, a trend for the younger girls.

On the other side who cares what I am wearing in the closet :D Might have to test it.

jeri1973
08-05-2006, 09:15 AM
I know that many of you hope this dies in a hurry but I think that we will be have it at least this fall and winter. I have gotten several catalogs that have this look in them as well as yesterday I was at Wal Mart shopping in the ladies section and there it was solid and printed leggings with the short shirts and shorts beside them. They also had photos of models wearing this look. It looks like the 80's may be back. I noticed on my msn home page the other day that Glamor magazine has even done a do's and don'ts of the legging craze. I may buy some just to be in style this fall.

ClosetCD
08-05-2006, 10:14 AM
Yeah, I've noticed the trend in all the cataloges as well. Haven't seen much on the street yet but suspect I will soon. I Can't say as I like the 80's look myself but I guess it's a matter of personal taste. Then again I'm an old fart and this seems to be for the younger set. When I was young it was all mini skirts and short dresses and I still like (and wear) that style. :2c:

fionasboots
08-05-2006, 02:14 PM
I actually find the whole skirt + leggings or trousers trend to be rather annoying ... I see a GG walking down the street and can't fail to notice the short skirt and black legs ... and get really disappointed when I see that it's not a nice pair of tights finished off with knee high boots but leggings and flat shoes!

What is the point of a short skirt if not to wear it with high-heel boots and smooth tights/stocking/hold-ups/whatever!

Some people just have no idea :heehee:

Di
08-05-2006, 03:24 PM
Yep...there back......the leggings are now in the fall catalogs..back to the eightys.....

dani_grl03
08-05-2006, 03:56 PM
YUP the leggings, goofy skirts, and big hair and tappered jeans :angry: :puke: are on the way back. 80's retro is the new style.
I suppose it would be ok if I could go back to the age I was back then.

Drucilla
08-05-2006, 06:41 PM
Must be a big fall fashion statement because I saw several racks of them in WalMart today. Even some black ones with skull and crossbones imprinted on them . What gives ??--Pirates of the Caribbean influence???

Calliope
08-05-2006, 07:01 PM
I dig leggings - I wouldn't dare to wear miniskirts without them.

Plus, I love being able to add another print to the mix, or accentuate a certain color by repeating it with the leggings. Leggings are warm and they last a lot longer than hose.

And they hide stubble (and psoriasis).

What's not to dig?

noname
08-06-2006, 12:57 AM
I've seen it quite a bit where I am. Not just one color either, strippes is really common on these things. But that is more the goth crowd. The ones that arn't goth, are the girls with short skirts that really don't have the leggs for it due to weight or just plain getting older.

Jasmine Ellis
08-06-2006, 06:38 AM
I just don't like leggings. But your right there are a lot of women wearing them, also children

ToyGirl
08-06-2006, 08:57 AM
http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=29480&stc=1&d=1154872486

I allways liked this look , but i was a teen in the 80's so maybe that is my problem :p

Kate Simmons
08-06-2006, 09:27 AM
Was never much into fashion trends. I make my own. Usually with good results. I tried this look years ago and it was fine.Experimenting with other looks.Last night, I wore my "action suit".Mcrofiber tights and a spandex shirt with high heel fashion boots. Danced my "bippie" off. It was hot but I received nothing but compliments. I kind of make my own trends for myself. Ericka

uknowhoo
08-06-2006, 10:15 AM
OMG Ericka, are you alright?!? I hope (along with your hammer, saw and davenport) that you had a can of ACME bippie adhesive in that big ol' purse of yours!!! :tongueout :D

jjjjohanne
08-06-2006, 04:37 PM
It is a style that looks like some 80s outfit. However, it is a style (like so many these days) that was started by the clothing industry. I would assume that Cindi Lauper started the 80s trend. Anyhow, the clothing industry makes more money if they can get people to layer their clothing... More garments at once is a prize for the industry!

I saw a pack of girls dressed in skirts and leggings in the mall in Maryland. I said to my wife, "Isn't that cute, their mommas dressed them up in the same outfit. Their outfits were almost identical. Kinda sad...

Deanna2
08-07-2006, 03:55 AM
The style has been around for a long time. It re-emerges from time to time.