PDA

View Full Version : The Real Truth About Cross-dressing

spoonie
07-29-2006, 04:17 PM
Hi all
I came across this article while surfing,thought it might make a good debate.
and answer a few questions that some of us have been asking

Every Fall, several hundred traditional husbands, fathers and businessmen come together in Provincetown for Fantasia Fair with parties, seminars and workshops exploring the thorny issue of how to buy the right wig and hide a 5 o'clock shadow with the foundation and blush-on. Heterosexual married men from suburbia with families who cross-dress? What's going on?

Apparently a much more common practice than most people would imagine. It's estimated that at least 2% of the male population cross dresses. And even as we approach the 21st Century, the idea of a heterosexual man in heels is still more than a little threatening, and confusing even for the cross dressers themselves. As Jo Ann Roberts, founder of Renaissance, a Delaware Valley cross-dressing support group of over 400 said "I knew growing up that I wasn't gay and I was heterosexual. I thought I might be crazy, but I knew I wasn't gay." Cross-dressing is a subject that's been universally misunderstood. While producing the first documentary on heterosexual cross-dressing called “All Dressed Up And No Place To Go”, I found a host of misconceptions rampant in most people's thinking. The following are the Top Eleven Misconceptions that abound:

1) Cross dressers Are Gay
More than likely not. As Dr. William Stayton, Head of the University of Pennsylvania's Department of Human Sexuality and himself a therapist for cross dressers reported "People associate cross-dressing with effeminacy and being gay and the fact is most of them are not gay. They are very definitely heterosexual. "In fact one of the most difficult areas for cross dressers was how to deal with the women with whom they wanted to be involved.

2) Cross dressers Don't Like Women
The truth is that rather than shying away from women, most cross dressers are as married or looking for a relationship as any cross section of men in America. "There is even some advantage to being a heterosexual cross dresser," says Dr. Stayton. "When dressed they often become more sensitive and understanding to the women in their lives. Their wives tend to find them delightful and often it can become a real enhancement to marital relations. However that "enhancement" can only come if the woman feels comfortable with her husband's occasional dressing. Many don't. As Florida lawyer Jeff/Jean reports, "What would happen was that as soon as women found out about " Jean" the relationship would end, so why did I have to keep banging myself in the head. I was married to a woman that didn't approve and it was painful. Now I tell the women and let them even see "Jean." If we're going to be involved then they'll have to accept all of me just like I have to accept all of them."

3) Women Who Love Cross dressers Must Be Lesbians
What's it like to love a man who's wearing a dress? Pam, the wife of a Bank V.P cross dresser recounts "I did feel funny at first. I love my husband as a man but when I saw him in a dress as "Barbara," I thought how could I love him? The answer was I didn't have to love him the same way. With "Barbara," we're friends like I would be with any girlfriend. When he's dressed as a man, I feel free to love him as a man."

4) Cross dressers Dress For Sexual Gratification
Most cross dressers reveal that relieving stress and relaxation were the feelings they most associated with their cross-dressing. However many revealed that while teenagers there was a high degree of sexual excitement related to cross-dressing mostly relieved through masturbation. As hormones calmed down and they reached adulthood the sexual element declined and the feelings the cross-dressing elicited were very different." What you'll find," Dr. Stayton reported, "is that very early on they associate these clothes with relaxation and stress relievable. They often use it to feel calmer. There is an erotic element to the cross-dressing. Many will cross-dress or fantasize about being CD to enhance sexual enjoyment, but it’s not necessary."

5) Cross dressers Always Wear Women's Clothes
In fact, most may only dress once a month or once every six months. Many men don't ever even reach the point of fully dressing but feel the same relaxed feeling by just wearing women's undies under their suits. "You can't imagine how many politicians can't give a speech in Congress without wearing women's panties," Dr. Stayton commented, adding he has first hand knowledge since many are his patients.

6) Cross dressers Have Weird Sexual Habits
No more than most. However cross dressers did report their sex lives were enhanced by cross-dressing to some degree. "Dale" recounted that "Although many CDs will deny it, there is a degree of extra arousal that comes with being cross dresser when making love but many women are not comfortable with that and we men have to be sensitive to that and accept it."

7) Cross dressers Look Like RuPaul
In fact many cross dressers are most comfortable dressing their “femme " selves as they would dress their male selves. Therefore most conventions of cross dressers find a roomful of men in dressed for success women's suits, low heels, tasteful makeup and coifed hair...much more Margaret Thatcher than RuPaul.

8) Cross-dressing Develops in Adulthood
"We really find that cross-dressing starts very young," reports Dr. Stayton. Many remember that as preschoolers they got a certain feeling with Mom's clothing. It's very rarely something that develops in adulthood.

9) Cross dressers Are Made, Not Born
The current conventional wisdom seems to be that cross-dressing is a result of both Nature and Nurture. "I certainly think there's a genetic influence just as for all of us there are things that happen that program us as to how we'll be sexual, whether we'll like redheads or thin women. We all have preferences, but the truth is there's no common thread and we really don't know why it happens," reports Dr. Stayton.

10) Cross dressers Are Schizophrenic
In reality cross dressers exhibit slight personality alterations in their "femme" role, but in general, their personalities only change to the extent that many people do when assuming different roles in life, i.e. CEO, husband, father. One wife reports her husband likes to dance as his "femme" self where he wouldn't feel that free as a man. Other wives recount how their husbands will shop with them when otherwise they'd never have the patience.

11) Cross-dressing Can Be Cured
"Truth is you can't change it," Dr. Stayton concludes. Most professionals now try to counsel the cross dresser to deal with his cross-dressing rather than eradicate it. "When someone comes to me and feels it's sick behaviour, then to me helping them to be healthy is to help them accept it and to be able to appropriately accept their own cross-dressing feelings."
___Love as allways
Spoonie______________

Sarah Rabbit
07-29-2006, 04:25 PM
Not bad..I don't try to reason or Justify myself I just Accept and love Sarah...
Wouldn't this have been better posted in the MtF section
Sarah R. :bunny:

Sharon
07-29-2006, 09:38 PM
Generally speaking, I agree with each point made.

noname
07-29-2006, 09:49 PM
And even as we approach the 21st Century, the idea of a heterosexual man in heels is still more than a little threatening,

Just wanted to add the heals were origonally for men, as most things women wear are. Perhaps time to take back what was origonally ours?

sky0629
07-29-2006, 10:07 PM
Wow that was great really enjoyed reading ever word, great find Spoonie
Sky

tekla west
07-29-2006, 11:19 PM
didn't we just do this and come to the conclusion that while it "true" for some, it does not cover all. Its not the Unified Field Theory of Gender or anything. Its nice for as far as it goes, but its a brouchre, not a great truth or anything.

Barb Valentine
07-30-2006, 12:21 AM
A interesting read
Thanks for sharing

Joy Carter
07-30-2006, 03:24 AM
Just wanted to add the heals were originally for men, as most things women wear are. Perhaps time to take back what was originally ours?

I read a story about the invention of heels and it goes back to the English Monarchy. One of the women whom was in court and to be debut was unattractive and yet approached by a suitor. So a royal clothier sat upon an idea of heels because they not only gave her height but caused her to walk in a certain way that men found most pleasing. I will do some searching to see if the story still exists on the net. But you are right many women's styles have come from men's through out history pity it couldn't go the other way for once.:o

noname
07-30-2006, 03:53 AM
I had heard that heels in early america were for men, more specifically short men to give them height.

suzy
07-30-2006, 04:02 AM
Thanks for sharing that insightful article. I agree with it totally. I am going to introduce it to my wife. I believe that it will help answer some of her back of the mind questions!:hugs:

Marla S
07-30-2006, 04:59 AM
Interesting article.
Not much to discuss, as the article covers it quite well.
Thanks for sharing.