PDA

View Full Version : An Unexpected turn of events

Kimberly
07-30-2006, 06:43 AM
Well. Blimey.

To start with, a little prologue (bare with me!! It'll be short.) I'd been getting serisouly down, of late. An attack of "female jelousy" as I like to call it. Seeing stunning women in stunning clothes and get very very frustrated that I couldn't be wearing what they were.

So... We'd finished the show, and the plan was to go to the pub for a bit, wait for a friend to call me then move onto a club for the evening. The previous night, I'd been debating, (with the friend who had accompanied me to the pub,) whether I should or could wear heels along with a semi-drab outfit. It was wraith - a popular Goth night in Norwich, and so it wouldn't bee too serious if I was in some drag. I'd decided against it though... my guts stopping me.

And so the result was a rant at my friend in the pub, which turned into a fantastic discussion about cisgender, problems with society, and the fact that crossdressing isn't a "problem", it's other peoples' views that are the problem. I told I had some makeup in my bag to prove to myself I could leave the house with something crossdress-y. She's a make-up salesperson, works for a large chain in the UK - does great makeovers. I said, "We could ditch [my friend]... she hasn't called... You could do a makeover on me!"
"Yeah..." She replied, quite happy. And that was settled. A couple of drinks later and we came back to mine. Careful not to wake the parents, I stuffed some clothes and makeup into my bag and then we went to hers. Firstly, I thought, "B*gger it... It's 1am. There's no one about, I'll put my wedges on to go to hers." So I did, and I walked out there with my heels on. Fantastic!

We got there, and I "satisfied her curiosity" by dressing. She did some absolutely fab makeup on me, and we nattered until about 3am, when we both took our faces off, and I kipped on the sofa.

This morning... realisation: The only shoes I have are these wedge sandels, and I need to go to Tescos, grab some things and then go home! That'd mean going out and about wearing some form of ladies' clothing. I always knew there'd be a day when I would go, "F*ck you," to everyone and wouldn't give a damn about being crossdressed and out. And today was it! I wondered round Tescos, quite naturally, brown jeans on, black top (of the guy variety), only with 4" wedge sandels on. It was fine... I walked better than I anticipated, and to my astonishment the person who was most worried about my appearance in there was ME!

I didn't hear a peep out of anyone, not a dirty look from any direction. Something about that dissappointed me, but it was an eye-opener for me. And now, the nerves of going out and about for the first time have gone... I don't need to worry so much and just enjoy myself!!

The thing that caught me by surprise was how quickly all this came about. Just one evening, and suddenly I'd had a mini-makeover from a friend and been out with some women's clothing on! Shoes too... The best!!

At least that's over and done with now... Now for going all the way!!

Raychel
07-30-2006, 06:59 AM
One small step for man One giant step for YOU. :D :thumbsup:

Ms. Donna
07-30-2006, 08:21 AM
I didn't hear a peep out of anyone, not a dirty look from any direction. Something about that dissappointed me, but it was an eye-opener for me. And now, the nerves of going out and about for the first time have gone... I don't need to worry so much and just enjoy myself!!
Congrats on the breakthrough Kimberly! :thumbsup:

As you've discovered, we are our own worst enemies. By and large, people are all in their own little worlds and really aren't paying attention to you.

My 'moment' like that was wen I was fifteen. I had purchased a small light purple purse, with a little tassel and a thin strap, which I tied in a knot so the bag hung just above my waist. About a week after purchasing it, I took it out of hiding, put my wallet & keys in it and went up to the mall where I bought it. I put the purse on my shoulder and went for a walk in the mall – circling around about three times and then went home. It was the first time I went in a public place and 'bent the rules' so to speak. I wasn't in drag – just a 'teenage boy' walking around with his purple purse for all to see – and it felt really good.

Much like you experienced, there wasn't a reaction from anyone. I am not sure what I was expecting to have happen but it turned out to pretty much be a non-event; I don’t know that anyone even noticed me - and if they did, they didn't care. After that, the seed had been planted to 'go out and do this' again. Ever since, I've managed to bend the rules to some extent.

All it takes is one or two experiences to make us realize that as scary as it seems out there, it is mostly our own doing.

Good for you! Now go out and have fun! :D

Love & Stuff,
Donna

Katrina
07-30-2006, 08:38 AM
That's great, now let's see some pictures of those wedges... ;)

Wenda
07-30-2006, 08:52 AM
Wow, what a huge step! So glad it went well. It will now be easier and easier.

Kristen Kelly
07-30-2006, 09:30 AM
Shame you didn't get any pics of your makeover, guess you just going to have to schedule another.

Joy Carter
07-30-2006, 09:38 AM
Kimberly that story was the BEST ! Thanks:D

uknowhoo
07-30-2006, 10:20 AM
Verrry cool Kimberly! Thanks so much for posting.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I didn't hear a peep out of anyone, not a dirty look from any direction. Something about that dissappointed me

Perhaps what disappointed you was the realization that fear had held you back, and deprived you of such experiences earlier. The great news though (if you don't mid an older lady trying to afford a lil perpective:p ) is that you're still a kid (relatively speaking) and won't be held back for a large chunk of your adult life, like many of your sisters here.:(

The moral of the story is the sooner you set yourself free, the sooner you can enjoy your freedom.

Well done, and again, thanx for posting.

xoxo

Ooh "when I was a young girl" Tammi :p

Holly
07-30-2006, 10:39 AM
Way to go, Kimberly! Next time, I'll bet you wear those heels to the pub... and maybe more?

Calliope
07-30-2006, 11:21 AM
I said, "We could ditch [my friend]... she hasn't called... You could do a makeover on me!"

Love that! Kinda like, 'Your place or mine?'

Perhaps what disappointed you was the realization that fear had held you back, and deprived you of such experiences earlier.

If only I was bolder back when I was young and foxy...

tekla west
07-30-2006, 11:58 AM
20 years of working goth shows has convinced me that you could wear anything you want as long as its
a) black
b) creepy
c) looks like it came from the Gomez and Morticia's yard sale

Good for you. If you open up, bit by bit things open up for you. Life can get better but only if you work on it.

tv_rachael
07-30-2006, 04:05 PM
hiya

well done babes... thats how my first thing came about really as well :)

ur not too far away - any good tv nites in norwich ??

:)

Sarah Rabbit
07-30-2006, 04:46 PM
Welldone Kim, perhaps some photos if the opportunity arises..:D

Sarah R. :bunny:

Kimberly
07-30-2006, 05:22 PM
ur not too far away - any good tv nites in norwich ??
You're kidding me...

This is Norwich we're talking about. "Nowheresville". Just don't go down Prince of Whales Road -- one of the top 10 most dangerous roads on a Saturday night.