PDA

View Full Version : Tips and Tricks

Wendi_cd
07-30-2006, 11:50 PM
Well, I thought I might contribute something useful to the forums, so here comes my (incomplete) list of tips, tricks and suggestions after some 20 yrs of CDing..

Breast Forms:
Yes, quality silicone forms are expensive, $200+, but they are WORTH every penny. It may be the single best purchase you will ever make.
Once you have them, purchase yourself some medical adhesive (Hollister) to attach them with and you will know the joy of going braless AND getting to keep your breasts.

Wigs & Wig Care:
Again, quality counts, whether you are buying synthetic or human hair wigs. Just make sure it's a color and length that suits you.
Plan on taking it at least once a year to a salon to have it re-styled, de-tangled, etc. Avoid brushing at all costs! Unlike real hair, wigs don't grow. Every hair you lose in the hair brush is one that will never be replaced. Finger brush only. If it gets real tangled, take it to a salon. If it's human hair, yes, you should run your fingers through it, or use conditioner to replace the oils that would naturally get in the hair and keep it moist and shiny.

Makeup:
Lipstick, lash lengthener and fingernail polish DO go bad. Plan on replacing them every 6 months or so. Remember, the racoon look and blue eyeshadow went out in the 80's.

Clothes!
While the super mini is fine for around the house, real women don't dress that way in public unless they are clubbing or 'working girls'. Keep that in mind when you are shopping.

Next...

Paula Rae
07-31-2006, 12:29 AM
Hey Wendi,

Good advice, you just confirmed some of the things I've been thinking about. :eek:
Thanks for this fine post.

Paula Rae

Samantha_S
07-31-2006, 12:38 AM
Remember, the racoon look and blue eyeshadow went out in the 80's. Aww crap! Need to refurbish the male-up kt!

Charleen
07-31-2006, 10:00 AM
Good post. Thanks. Love and xxxx, Lily

Calliope
07-31-2006, 10:32 AM
[...] blue eyeshadow went out in the 80's.

Ah shucks, does this mean I should chuck my Melanie LPs, too?

Julogden
07-31-2006, 09:00 PM
Hi Wendi,

Full agreement on all but the part about chucking all makeup after 6 months. That's what the cosmetic companies tell us to get us to buy more makeup, although mascara, or as you put it, lash lengthener, is one cosmetic product that does go bad fairly quickly, and should be replaced every 3 months or so, more often if you notice it smelling, looking or applying differently than when it was new.

Compressed powder-type cosmetics like eye shadows and blushers can last for a LONG time, a couple or three years easily, sometimes more, if they are stored and used properly.

Liquid or creamy products can go bad more quickly, as the moisture can breed bacteria. Lipstick is usually good for at least a couple years, sometimes longer.

Products with oils in them, watch for rancidity of the oils.

Nail polish is fine as long as it dries correctly, and can last for years too. If it thickens up, you can buy nail polish thinner to bring it back to the correct consistency.

Basically, watch for a change in texture, smell, appearance or the way a product applies, as those are signs that it's time to replace it.

Also, be sure to keep your makeup brushes clean and in good condition.

I've been buying and using makeup for 30 years now, and these guidelines have worked for me.

See the Beauty forum for discussions of this subject at greater length.

:hugs: Carol

Wendi_cd
08-01-2006, 07:51 AM
Hi Wendi,

Full agreement on all but the part about chucking all makeup after 6 months. :hugs: Carol

I didn't say ALL makeup, I said lipstick, lash lengthener (mascara) and nail polish. :)

Though it may be odd to hear, considering it's where it's usually kept, the bathroom is about the worst room in the home to keep makeup (and medications). The widely varying tempurature and humidity levels can play havoc on things.

Julogden
08-01-2006, 11:02 AM
Hi Wendi,

Sorry, guess I mis-read that bit.

Still, I've had some lipsticks and nail polish last for very long times, seems to vary with brand, and can even vary within a brand, so apparently, certain ingredients must have a lot to do with how long a given product might last.

I have a very small bathroom, so the temperature and humidity swings that you mentioned are quite extreme, so I only keep things in there that get used often, skin care stuff mainly, as that gets used up before it can go bad.

And hey, I still use blue eyeshadows! Of course, they're mostly muted blues, and they work very nicely. The sky-blue shadows so popular in the 60's still have their place in a modern makeup kit, but they're best used as an accent, not as a primary eyeshadow.

I have a GG acquaintance who has worn that same blue eye shadow with a hard line of black liquid eyeliner since 1970, when I met her. She's now in her mid-70's, and it does NOT look good!:confused2:

:hugs: Carol