PDA

View Full Version : Styling Your Own Hair

CheriTV2006
07-31-2006, 08:51 PM
Hi Girls, I'd like to know if any of you have grown your own hair long and cut/styled/dyed it yourself to match a compatible wig style you like successfully? My own hair is just getting over the shoulders and will attempt to do this when it is halfway down my back. Also, if you got it professionally done, how was the experience? Hugs to you all, Cheri.

Bernadina
07-31-2006, 08:54 PM
I'd love to. Unfortunately I don't have quite enough hair anymore.

Connie D50
07-31-2006, 09:04 PM
I don't have long hair however I have had many makeovers and it makes you feel soooo much like a lady. I'm lucky where I live I have 2 places that takes care of us girls.
Connie

Barb Valentine
07-31-2006, 09:08 PM
I think I'd have a easier time growing my eyebrows longer :heehee:

Tamara Barclay
07-31-2006, 09:20 PM
Many moons ago (the 80's) I spent the better part or a "wasted" youth schleping aroung the upper midwest in various regional bands. Yes...i miss the spandex and the eyeliner...I also miss being a skinny kid with long curly hair down to my butt!!!! I got to REALLY enjoy those BIG hair curlers!!!
I had a girlfriend for awile (actually, she was an "exotic dancer" that would make room for me when I was in town.) Anyway, she used to do my hair up in all those great styles with the BIG gravity defying bangs. Yes, she knew I dressed.
But I really do miss having my own long hair.....it was great going out as a woman....made me feel so femine knowing it was hairspay in MY hair!

Jennifer in CO
07-31-2006, 09:29 PM
Hair to my belt here....and at that length there's not a lot I've found you can do with it...other than it just hang there. Did try a body wave about 10 years ago...BIG mistake

Jenn

Jenna1561
07-31-2006, 10:24 PM
I too wish I had the thick hair of my youth. Mine is almost shoulder length, but so thin that I don't believe I can do anything with it.

Jenna

Charleen
07-31-2006, 10:31 PM
My hair comes down to my bra strap as it has been growing for about 6 years. I love brushing it, conditioning it, and using a curling iron. The problem lately though is that I got my ears pierced 4 weeks ago, and I have to keep my hair away from my ears for another 2 weeks. Interesting thing, one of the GGs I work with complemented on my hair the other day. Even though it was in a pony tail, she was stroking it and saying how nice it was. Even asked if I was "one of those" who used mayonnaise to get it so soft and curly? An aside if I can, I have found that since I decided to appear more femme, long nails, pierced ears, rings, charm bracelet, ect, when in drab, the GGs have gotten friendlier, and more talkative. Love it. Love and xxx, Lily

Barbara G
07-31-2006, 10:37 PM
The only reason I regret having little hair on top is that I can't let it grow long enough to style.

I'm stuck with wearing a wig, and I don't have a good one in the style I'd like: I want one that looks like the hair style that Shirley MacClain(SP?) wore in the move "The Apartment".

Do any of you know where such a wig IN A LARGE SIZE is available?

Scotty
07-31-2006, 11:02 PM
The only reason I regret having little hair on top is that I can't let it grow long enough to style.

I'm stuck with wearing a wig, and I don't have a good one in the style I'd like: I want one that looks like the hair style that Shirley MacClain(SP?) wore in the move "The Apartment".

Do any of you know where such a wig IN A LARGE SIZE is available?

http://www.wiggoddess.com ?

Michelle Ellis
07-31-2006, 11:35 PM
yeah I love having long(ish) hair... just had it cut straight across the bottom, down to over my shoulders, used to be longer but it was time for a change, wanted it a bit more fem with bangs... sure got what I was looking for :p took a few days to get over it walking around in public but I just smile, I love it :) As long as I can do a bun and do all the different types of pony tails I'm happy hehe

M

Calliope
07-31-2006, 11:43 PM
That's my own hair (avatar) - just cut 2 inches off to clean up the ends. I'm planning to emphasize the grey streaks soon - have a little silver coloring added to each ponytail.

Stephenie S
08-01-2006, 12:21 AM
Well, I have my first hair apointment on wednesday next. I have been growing it out since Christmas or so. It's not really long yet and because I am "mature", it's very fine and grey. I am looking forward to what he will do for it.

The story is that I was dropping my wife off for her hair appointment last month and there was this guy standing at the register so I thought, OK, talk to him. I told him I was exploring my feminine side (my stock explanation) and needed a style that was both feminine and masculine or that could be shifted back and forth, and could he do something with my hair? Well he smiled and said, OK, come back in a month.
So a few weeks later I called the salon and explained that this guy had said he would style my hair if I came back in a month, but I did not know his name. It turned out that the only man they had working there was the owner! The receptionist said it was almost impossible to get an appointment with him, but if he had said so she would make a appointment. So here I go, day after tomorrow, I have an apointment with "Stephen" the owner and head stylist. All who I tell are impressed! So am I!
It will be very interesting to see what he comes up with. I do LOVE my longer hair. I will not want him to cut it.

So I will let you all know what happens.

Lovies,
Stephenie

Michelle Ellis
08-01-2006, 12:35 AM
Sounds cool Stephenie! His name is Stephen, eh? :D wooo! You gonna flirt? :p sorry, (j/k) I know you said you have a wife :)

Tripper, I wish my hair would get as long as yours, The longest mine will grow is just above the middle of my back... and it's been years since then.

M

noname
08-01-2006, 01:53 AM
I wish I could. Hair stylists my whole life have told me, wow you have such beautiful hair, I wish I could have hair like yours. Unfortunately, family and friends are of the uber conserative type and I have never been able to grow it out.

Lisa Golightly
08-01-2006, 01:58 AM
I have long hair which is salon cut, but I dye and style it myself. Depending on what look I'm going for I have straighteners, heated curlers and curling tongs. I generally just blow dry, or straighten my hair. Parties and nights out get the curly/wavy treatment.

P.S. I've always had to dye my hair as I've been going grey since 15 years old ;)

Karren H
08-01-2006, 06:37 AM
Not my own hair but I cut and style my human hair wigs. Mainly cutting the bangs and using curlers and a curling iron to get the look I want. But even it it were my own hair I'd style it to match the current GG style....not some wig I saw. kind of like copying a copy. Hehehe

Love Karren

Stephenie S
08-01-2006, 09:42 AM
Dear Noname,

Golly gee, just grow it out! I can tell you, as someone who works with the elderly, you don't want to get to the end of you life and have to say, "I wish I had done that".

I too faced resistance when I started to grow my hair. I had always had a military cut. (very short) I think I must have said, "Because I want to", several hundred times as it became obvious I was not going to get it cut as usual. Just keep saying it. There is really no effective argument against "because I want to".

You have to want to, though. If you really don't want to, it won't work. BUT, if you do, PLEASE don't let what others think stand in your way. They will get over it very quickly when it becomes obvious that you are serious, whereas you will NEVER, NEVER get over wishing you had done what you wanted to all your life.

This applies to ALL you girls. Those arround us will adapt pretty quickly to changes in us. We will NEVER, EVER stop wanting to do what we want. Don't let it get to the point where you can no longer do it. Whose life is it, anyway? Are you counting on getting to Heaven and having God say, "OK, now you can shave your legs?" (or grow your hair, or pierce your ears, or whatever). Live the life you want. Unless you are Hindu, it's not comming around again. I see SO many bitter and disapointed elderly who never got to do what they wanted to in this life because of what someone else wanted or expected.

OK, I'm climbing down now. Sorry for the rant.

Lovies,
Stephenie

sophie1
08-01-2006, 09:43 AM
i'd have long any way as i don't like my hair short never have even as a kid growing up i wanted long, not too bothered about dying it but would have it styled.

Ranee Daze
08-01-2006, 11:35 AM
But I may change my mind. Several years ago I had long, blond highlighted hair which I would curl with heated rollers etc. very much fun!
The real fun started when I discovered hairdressing schools. For a relatively small price a student will take about double the time with you and do you hair up right. Yopu can make three visits to a school for the cost of a professional visit. Once, when I had my hair curled up in a zillion ringlets (wow!) I had three girls working on me at once, and at the end the whole class was in on it. I loved the attention. These students work hard because they are really interested in hair and they want a good mark. They do the same with makeup.
I am really sorry for those without hair to grow, or for those trapped in society's gender box, but if you have a chance to grow your hair, damn the critics and grow it!

Serena
08-05-2006, 10:53 PM
I have hair that's just about my shoulderblades. I always blow-dry it, it turns out soft and straight, but if I don't, it's all thick and curly and I don't like it like that. And I enjoy putting it up in curlers and giving it curls, I just don't like curly hair. My favorite style is probably braiding, I love doing it, especially pigtails. But I also like when other women style my hair. I don't usually get to have them do it, but it's still fun

Jasmine Ellis
08-06-2006, 08:43 AM
I just stay with my wigs

heatherM
08-06-2006, 09:02 AM
Im with Tamara when I was younger and free in my teens I wore it to my butt and my girlfrieds "played' with it alot, I had one special freind who styled it for me and one night while we were getting wasted she started putting on make-up also it was a great night,but those days are gone and so is my hair

Stephenie S
08-06-2006, 10:09 AM
Well girls, I had my apointment with Stephen, the owner and head stylist of the salon where my wife gets her hair done.

It was a LOT of fun, but he did not cut it. The salon is pretty upscale, I was offered something to drink and shown where to relax while waiting. Soon Stephen came over and offered me the chance to change into a different shirt which I did. Then on to the styling chair. I showed him the pictures I had brought of hair styles I thought I would like.
After looking and combing and chatting with me he said, "Well, I think I can save you $85. You don't need to do a thing. Just keep letting it grow and combing it the way you are doing already. It looks pretty good the way it is." He put some "product" in my hair and showed me a slightly better way to comb it. Boy did that simple trick improve my hair. So I left to do some shopping, hair looking REALLY good, and an extra $85 + tip (whoops, you aren't supossed to tip the owner) in my purse. He told me to come back in a month or if I felt my hair was getting out of control.

The style we are going for is like the Henry Margu wig "Sheryl" p2648, of course in grey, not blond.

For those who need a wig, I strongly recomend Clare at www.wiggoddess.com. She is a real whiz and very CD friendly. Call her toll free at 1-877-767-9049. She offers VERY knowledgable service, discrete shipping and billing, and secure ordering. Tell her I recomended you. (Well that won't really make any difference, she gives superb service to everyone) She has a wide range of prices and can acomodate all requests. You will be happy you called. Check out her web site even if you don't need a wig. She has many other services.

So that's my hair story for now. I will be letting it grow untill he tells me it needs to be cut. I think spending time at a salon is better than shopping. (wow, did I say that?) Yes I did! I wonder if that's really true? Naaa, can't be.

By for now,
Steph

ToyGirl
08-06-2006, 11:17 AM
mines been past my shoulders since i was 15 , (32 now) and is pretty much same as avril lavignes (in colour style and length) , i never had it coloured professionaly , but with the help of my sister in law and friends, have dyed most colours you can imagine , and a few you cant, it was solid bright pink for a few months , tube of fudge every week to keep it fresh , figured after that i could do whatever i want with it and no one would be shocked.

the pink was awesome though definitly a traffic stopper.

I still need to learn how to do styling though , so any links i guess would be appreciated.

Ranee Daze
08-08-2006, 11:21 AM
As far as attempting to match a wig colour with a box rinse...well is just ain't gonna work..period. A professional salon is where you need to go. Don't be shy either. If you know someone with great hair that you'd like to have, well ask them where they get their locks done! Say it's for my wife. Women will take it as a huge compliment and you will be closer to your goal.
Nothing is sexier than a great colour job. Nothing is worse than a bad home dye job. Spend the cash.

PennieS
08-23-2006, 11:49 PM
I have had long or longer hair most of my adult life. when first maried my wife would always want me to get it cut, but I never let her talk me into it or get a hold of it when she wanted it cut. After several years of her trying to convince me to get it cut (about 20" ponytail) I went out and got it styled and layered, the girl who cut it really took off quite a bit but i still had most of the length, just a lot of layering and the top was shorter and she even cut it with bangs. It was really quite a shock and not exactly what i was expecting and really looked quite womanishly. I was stunned when she was finnished and she offered to recut it some and shape it up shorter but I told her i would give it a try and maybe come back in a few days or a week or so. i felt like everyone was looking at me on the way home and when I had to stop at the store on the way. When I was leaving the store going out to my car, there was a mirror there and i thought that it was a women staring back at me, but it was me. It was such a big rush, I had often wondered what it would be like to have a real women's hair style, because i had been CD privately for years, but never really thought I could go through with it. I decided I liked it, although selfconcious at first, I really liked it. got home and my wife thought it was rediculous and i looked like a women. She insisted i go get it cut, i said NO I kinda like it and wanted to try it for awhile. For the next few weeks she was upset and really mad a bout it, but I loved it and kept it. After a few months she was all right with it and even helped me keep it style and managable. So I have worn my hair in women's styles almost ever since and gald i still have a nice full head of hair. So my advice to TGs is if you can grow it and want it go for it, don't regeret it later:D

Cristi
08-24-2006, 12:18 AM
My hair comes down to my bra strap as it has been growing for about 6 years. I love brushing it, conditioning it, and using a curling iron.

Lily;

From your avatar pic, it looks like you have the same hair I do! Mine is also to my bra strap in the back (sometimes longer). I notice that you may also have the same high forehead I have :(

I've been trying to do something with mine for years, but have never found a style that looks good and also covers my forehead well. I usually end up wearing a scarf or some kind of bandana to cover from my eyebrows to my hairline. If you have any tips I can try, let me know!

I have also had many women compliment my on my hair... I feel that it is wiry, but others like the way it looks because it is so full and thick.