PDA

View Full Version : When dressed do you carry a handbag?

Dee 1062
08-01-2006, 10:35 PM
When I go out I like to carry a little makeup and a few things in my purse, I just wonder how many of you carry a purse when dress?...I know most all of us carry a billfold when in male mode....and if you, do do you carry one to match your outfit?...I find my black one does the trick no matter what I wear...

Barb Valentine
08-01-2006, 10:37 PM
As a closet crossdresser I don't have a purse
Really can't see a need for one

Scotty
08-01-2006, 10:41 PM
I have a little black one, and a matching wallet inside of it. I've carried the wallet before in guy mode, nobody notices the silver buckle on it.

When I take long drives I carry it too......

I plan on carrying it if/when I go out this fall or winter...

Karren H
08-01-2006, 10:41 PM
Always!!! No outfit is complete with out a purse!!!

Love Karren

ArleneRaquel
08-01-2006, 10:47 PM
When i leave the house I ALWAYS carry a handbad,with make-up,cash,keys,and ID.

I recently bad a potentially awful experience,while waiting for a bus it drove past the stop and I had to run and catch it,little did I know that I had left my handbag back at the stop,with ALL the above in the bag.Luckily a young couple saw me leave the bag at the stop,and chased the bus by car for three blocks, and I got EVERYTHING back.I can't imagine how I would have survived if it wasn't for that wonderfully honest couple!!:love:

vbcdgrl
08-01-2006, 10:52 PM
Karren, you are a hoot! I think we'd get along great as "girlfriends". I'm an engineer, too. Are you in a ladies restroom somewhere in the picture?

Vikki

Bernadina
08-01-2006, 11:19 PM
Have to have a handbag. I like the kind with shoulder straps.

GraceUSA
08-01-2006, 11:23 PM
Does it count to carry a 'purse' while in guy mode? A couple of months ago I got sick of having to carry everything I need in my pockets so I just got a nice shoulder bag from fossil that falls in the middle ground. Been using it ever since but now looking to get another color so I can have a bag that matches more to what I wear.

Got some raised eye-brows from friends, no comments at all at my church and its affectionally known as the 'man purse' at my work. Now everyone is used to it and its no big deal at all.

noname
08-01-2006, 11:23 PM
Nope, but I'd like to though for a few reasons.

1: My pockets are always over loaded with crap.

2: I hate sitting on a wallet, nothing like sitting on a large lump.

I just wish I could find a handbag that doesn't look too much like a purse, as I'm always in guy mode and never try to pass.

Dee 1062
08-01-2006, 11:27 PM

I just wish I could find a handbag that doesn't look too much like a purse, as I'm always in guy mode and never try to pass.Yes they do sell a mans bag...looks alot like a ladys purse but is called the mans bag...not sure of colors or if it has a rose on it:) but I am not kidding, comes with a long strap to be carried over the shoulder like a shoulder purse...

Billijo49504
08-01-2006, 11:32 PM
Where else do you carry your money, lipstick, tissues, keys and all the other stuff you want to carry. You sure aren't going to stuff it all in your pockets. LOL And try to match your purse to your outfit or your shoes...BJ

Sarah Rabbit
08-01-2006, 11:48 PM
Although I don't venture out dressed, I own a few Handbags. For me, it is ownership of the handbags that is symbolic of my Goals. They are Mine, brought by me for me.:D That thought is important to me:happy:

Sarah R. :bunny:

noname
08-01-2006, 11:49 PM
Where exactly do you get these handbags.

Calliope
08-01-2006, 11:53 PM
Way back in guysville, there were children (I'm the stay-at-home parent) which necessitated the diaper bag. This item went through all the normal changes - huge backpack to small 'purse-like' thing (strap over my left shoulder). I just got myself a proper ladies' purse, though; vintage blue leather with a huge 1960's zipper - it's boffo.

GraceUSA
08-01-2006, 11:54 PM

I just wish I could find a handbag that doesn't look too much like a purse, as I'm always in guy mode and never try to pass.

The bag I bought was from Fossil. Its a square fabric bag on the smaller side with a shoulder strap. Its comfortly large enough for a wallet, keys, glass case, keys, cell phone and a couple of odds and ends. It sits in the middle ground and can be worn by either gender. In terms of price its very cheep for a Fossil item at $32. Model name is the Tribe Flap City. Hope that helps.

Barbara G
08-02-2006, 12:02 AM
I have been going for chiropractic treatments, and I have to empty my pockets. You know, keys, wallet, sunglasses, pencil case, little notebook...

I go in drab. One time, I put all that stuff in one of my purses so I didn't need to empty my pockets On the previous visit, I pretended that I left my keys behind..

Really just an excuse. It was a real rush to carry the purse...

I may do it for every visit...

MAGENTA
08-02-2006, 12:24 AM
i really love my few handbags.even though i never go out it is such a pleasure to walk around home with one.having one on the coffee table or just near you helps complete the overall feeling of femininity

Stephenie S
08-02-2006, 12:43 AM
So yes, I carry a handbag, or purse, when I go out. How can you carry all your stuff without it?

In guy mode, I carry a "bag". It's just a fabric bag with a printed design on the outside that I got at the Vancouver Aquarium. Black, no real top, medium length handles that go over my shoulder just right. I got a few coments at first at work, but everyone seems to have gotten used to it. My boss said, "Nice purse" I think to tease me, I just said, "Thank you". I use my "bag" to carry my bra and forms when I shop in drab. Then I can see if a top or dress will fit properly.

Lovies,
Stephenie

gwenrob43
08-02-2006, 01:27 AM
You're right again Karren. No outfit is complete without one. I never go out without my purse, I just have to remember to change all the ID and cards coming and going.

Gwen

sandra-leigh
08-02-2006, 01:29 AM
When I go out I like to carry a little makeup and a few things in my purse, I just wonder how many of you carry a purse when dress?

A soon as I started doing wig and makeup, I bought a purse. A large purse. Big enough to put my drab clothes in, together with the makeup I had a the time. [My makeup seems to be breeding, I don't think I could fit everything in there now!)

In guy mode, I regularily carry a reusable cloth bag, that I stuff all kinds of things in -- books, jacket, groceries, breast forms :) I used to use carry napsacks; for some reason I switched over to cloth bags. (Probably a napsack wore out.) People are accustomed to seeing me with it, and expect it of me now -- I'm the "I don't need a {plastic} bag, thanks" fellow. So if I'm going out and need to conceal my large purse for later use, I stuff the purse inside of one of the cloth bags; then when I deploy the purse, I stuff the cloth bag in the purse.

I did buy a much smaller handbag a couple of weeks ago; I use that for times I'm completely dressed and not carrying my drab clothes. I enjoy the purse and I enjoy the handbag (About $US15 at Payless.)

noname
08-02-2006, 02:45 AM
Another they are good for, pen and paper. I can't count how many times someone wanted to give me a number or some other information and they ask if I have a pen and paper. ( Does it look like i have pen and paper standing here in jeans and t-shirt? ) In variably I'm looking around and asking the wife is she has pen and paper. Hmm..... gives me an idea.

Maybe I should go to church, with a tablet of paper, a pen, car keys, wallet, brush, mints, chapstick, need I go on.

Phyliss
08-02-2006, 02:57 AM
The few times I've been out "dressed" I've carried one. Lately I've beeb complaing to the missus about having to "carry all kinds of stuff" keys, wallet, reading glasses, etc. and I've been saying things about getting a bag of some kind.
Turns out that this weekend an unexpected shopping trip to Freeport Maine is going to happen (Thought I'd get a chance to dress, but wife wants to come along, so much for that idea) anyhow, I figure on checking out the Dooney and Burke store to see if they have anything I might like.

loki_uk
08-02-2006, 03:45 AM
It just wouldn't feel the same without a handbag over my shoulder, besides where else are you going to put your spare tights and makeup when you're wearing a skirt, a handbag is the only practical solution

Teresa Amina
08-02-2006, 05:10 AM
Recently got a new one from Overstock.com in a palmtree theme tapestry fabric. Doesn't go with anything but it does go along with my growing household decorating theme. I guess it will come in handy someday but it was a gotta have. At the mall yesterday I saw several of those Man Bags on display- ugh! While I don't usually have much need in guy mode for a bag I do have an ex-Croatian military bag I've carried to flea markets (boot sales) and antique shows to carry goodies home in.

Karren H
08-02-2006, 06:40 AM
Karren, you are a hoot! I think we'd get along great as "girlfriends". I'm an engineer, too. Are you in a ladies restroom somewhere in the picture?

Vikki

Yeah...Ladies restroom on the WV turnpike!!!! And of coarse my purse has to be large enough for all my makeup, jewelry, blackberry, and camera with mini-tripod for all those action ladies room photos!! hehehe

Love Karren

Lisa Golightly
08-02-2006, 07:09 AM
I carry a handbag everday... it's got my whole life in it really :)

Scotty
08-02-2006, 07:34 AM
I have been going for chiropractic treatments, and I have to empty my pockets. You know, keys, wallet, sunglasses, pencil case, little notebook...

I haven't worn a wallet in guy mode since High School, Chiropractor told me to stop that right away - it does VERY bad things to one's lumbars!!!

So ya, me too, car rying that crap sucks, coat pockets fill up........maybe I should find a less femm one to carry around normally.......

Jenna1561
08-02-2006, 08:21 AM
Enfemme, I wouldn't know what to do without one. Just like most of you have said: where would I carry everything. I am currently using a large white knit purse with large straps so it may be slung over a shoulder - bought it at the Fashion Bug for the casual summer look.

The first few purses I purchased were "quick" buys, not wanting to stand in the purse section too long. But they proved poor selections. Now I spend more time making my selections and considering the bag's usefulness as well as its cuteness factor. My current summer bag has a single large pocket and while I usually prefer more pockets for organization, I love its light and airy summer-time feel, so I put up with the one pocket, and like many ladies have to fumble around inside it looking for something. LOL

In male mode, I now hate carrying things in my pockets, so I generally use a small backpack to carry my wallet, 3 keyrings, checkbook, eyeglass case, small organizer, makeup, pens and pad, perfume, cell phone and hairbrush. The backpack is generally a bit too big for all that, but I can't bring myself to using a man-purse, or heaven forbid a ladies purse.

Jenna

JoAnnDallas
08-02-2006, 08:32 AM
I carry an orginizer on me all the time. In reality, it is a womens walet. I found it at klohes one day. I was passing by the purse/walet section and one of these was open. I noticed that it had a calculator in it. I stopped, picked it up and started looking thru it. I told myself that this would make a great orginizer. Then another customer asked if I was buying it for my wife. I looked at her and say "No, it's for me, but I can not decide on the color". She looked at me for a moment, then to the walets, then said "Red suites you". So I bought the Red one. I also have a couple of purses. My favorite is a brown one with a long strap so I can put it on my shoulder and rest my right hand on the purse.

Kimberly
08-02-2006, 08:37 AM
Don't own one yet, and I'd quite like a feminine bag. :)

stacie
08-02-2006, 08:42 AM
Yes, I do have to have a place to carry my make-up and keys when I am out in public.

roberta1945
08-02-2006, 12:12 PM
i have carried apurse or shoulder bag for years due to diabetes and other problums pockets would'nt hold all the needles,meds.i need for 1 day out of the house.:hugs:

SherriePall
08-02-2006, 01:03 PM
I don't leave home without one when I'm dressed en femme. Afterall, where would I carry all those things we women need when out?

Adrienne Heels
08-02-2006, 08:26 PM
Always carry a handbag when dressed....keys, makeup, wallet....

Jodi
08-02-2006, 08:48 PM
As Karren said earlier, the bag is part of the outfit. I learned, while working in the stores, that the shoes and bag will make or break an outfit. I take great care in selecting the right bag for the outfit when I am out. GG's take note of the bag and shoes on other women. The bag need not match exactly, but should be the same color hue, or if wearing all black, the bag may be colorful to add color. The bag should also be the correct size and texture for the outfit. The dressier the outfit, the smaller the bag should be.

We hear a lot on this board on "passability". The purse a cd carries can go a long way for making or breaking passability. The wrong bag can ruin an otherwise great look.

Jodi

trannie T
08-02-2006, 08:55 PM
When I out dressed I have to carry a purse. There's not enough room in my bra for cash, ID, keys and makeup.

psdibe
08-02-2006, 09:06 PM
Carring a purse is one thing I am still becoming comfortable with. The few times I have gone out dressed. The purse seems the last thing Ire,,ber if I do at all. It takes practice being a complete girl. But it is fun practicing.
Hugs PD.

psdibe
08-02-2006, 09:07 PM
:love:

Marlena Dahlstrom
08-02-2006, 09:41 PM
Don't leave home without it.

I've got a couple -- light brown, chocolate, two in black (one casual, one more dressy) and a formal clutch purse -- since I was starting with wardrobe builders, now I'm looking at getting a couple more that are more fun.

As Jodi said, there's a language to accessorizing. For purses it's not only color, size and texture, but also how "dressy" vs. "casual" and/or "formal" vs. "fun" the purse is, which should be appropriate to outfit.

Jillian310
08-04-2006, 09:45 AM
Always a purse, period!

paula
08-04-2006, 10:02 AM
i never go out whit a handbag

EricaCD
08-04-2006, 05:40 PM
Naturally. I have a couple because my wife is a purse fiend and has discarded some that suit me wonderfully :) (Adopted with her permission, I stress.)

Erica

roberta
08-04-2006, 09:07 PM
when dressed a large bag is a must and can really add to your look. the problem is, nice bags are so expensive, so i try to use saddle brown with a make up bag and plenty of room for wallet, glasses, tissues, and ??
also i feel comfortable walking with it on my shoulder
of course i keep folding money and id, drivers license safely tucked in my girdle. thats my 2 cents

tekla west
08-04-2006, 09:28 PM
Of course, you would not want to ruin that skirt line with a wallet bulge would you? I carry one all the time, no matter what I'm wearing, I have too much to carry.

MistyCD
08-04-2006, 09:37 PM
Carrying a purse is a necessity. How many GG's do you see that aren't carrying one? Its a way to blend in...

Hint, sometimes its wise to carry on big enough to hold a brick! you never know when you'll have to whack a mugger or redneck with it.

Hugs Misty

Jasmine Ellis
08-05-2006, 06:00 AM
When going out dressed of couse I have a handbag on my shoulder. With all my lovely things in side. A girl got to have what a girl got to have

BeckyCath
08-05-2006, 06:43 AM
I've got 4 or 5 handbags, i've got mine in nuetral colours, so they go with most outfits that i wear. I haven't got an evening bag for when i go out clubbing, but i don't do that very often.

I'm lost without my handbag, and love it to peices. Mines big enough for a small make-up bag, a can of body spray (useful as a deterant against muggers), an umbrella, and it's big enough for a purse (mines a lovely light turquoise), and when i was comuting on the train, i used to have my MP3 player and paperback to read.

Sometimes i use a smaller one, but i just love my green Kipling (http://www.kipling.com/) bag, it's gorgeous, so versatile and utterly practical.

Rebecca

jenny_centaur
08-05-2006, 10:56 AM
Always!

http://uk.geocities.com/ukbikechick/m060705/blF05.jpg

You'd be amazed what a gurl can fit into such a small bag; I carry the usual girly things such as lippy and hair brush, but also a complete male outfit of jeans, t-shirt, socks and trainers, not to mention cotton wool buds and Baby Oil in case I have to remove my makeup and change back to male mode in an emergency.

terrigurl
08-06-2006, 08:37 AM
As mentioned earlier, where else would you put your wallet, keys, camera, etc.
I have a black bag for black outfits, a beige bag for brown and beige outfits, a white bag for white outfits, a blue bag for blue outfits, a pink bag for pink outfits, and a large silver bag that will go with black, white, or gray.
I try to coordinate colors so that it looks good together.
I have often been complimented on my color coordination.

Terri

heatherM
08-06-2006, 09:08 AM
My wife has so many and I've carried them all, my favorite is the coach shoulder bag, matching wallet and cigarette case, whenn I was single I carried a very fem looking fannie pack with the strap all the way out over my shoulder

Kate Simmons
08-06-2006, 09:16 AM
Always carry a handbad, Hon. Problem is I have everything in there but the kitchen sink. I can never find anything when I want it. Takes me at least 2 minutes sometimes to find my lipstick. Lessee, it's under the hammer and saw? No, maybe under the davenport? Ericka