PDA

View Full Version : Shopping at Salvation Army?

PinkVanessa07
08-05-2006, 01:41 AM
How is the selection at Salvation Army Thrift stores? What is their changing room policy towards CD's? Are the prices better than Goodwill?

GypsyKaren
08-05-2006, 01:54 AM
I can only speak for the ones in my area...most don't have dressing rooms, but the prices are lower than Goodwill. I love them both and do just about all of my shopping there, but I like Salvation Army the best, they have a bigger selection.

Karen

tekla west
08-05-2006, 01:59 AM
Goodwill here in SF is very good to us girls, and has a few on staff. SalAm is ok, but their stuff is much less quality, but I think that depends on location, so in your area it might be reversed.

Jasmine Ellis
08-05-2006, 05:03 AM
go and have a look you may just fine something you like

Charleen
08-05-2006, 05:34 AM
Don't have a Sally's by me, but will look in the Goodwill some times, but prefer the smaller thrift stores as I find they have better prices. I have a St. Vincent de Pauls, and their prices are half of the big guys. As Tekla said, it depends on where you're at, and what you've got. Love and xxxx, Lily

Khriss
08-05-2006, 05:49 AM
..just gotta say.. stealing clothes from "Second Hand Stores" is still theft from folks who need help and worse than general shoplifting -I think.....
...please sisters ? do'nt steal yer clothing.from the Charity Stores..or if under embarrassment...pay the fair price for ...such...things ehh ??
implimented morality ...hmm..hehm.oooooohhh.....xx "K"

Lawren
08-05-2006, 07:00 AM
Salvation Army stores, aound here anyway, generally tend to have lower prices than Goodwill but take care. They seem to be less picky than Goodwill when it comes to quality.

Kimberly
08-05-2006, 07:16 AM
You're shopping at the Sali Army?? Holy crap, I'm surprised they don't out you and then try to purge you of all your "sins"...

or am I wrong in my prejudice?

Kahlan51
08-05-2006, 07:19 AM
I have been a big fan of thrift stores even before i started dressing fem. In this area Value Village seems the best. Salvation Army doesn't tend to have as good a selection but are much cheaper. Dressing rooms ? I haven't had any problem. I used to buy what looked right then return it for credit if it didn't fit, now I try on most things, I get the " look " sometimes but I don't let it bother me. My next step is going into smaller consignment stores. Good luck with your shopping. I have an extensive wardrobe that I would have had a hard time affording if not for second hand. Kahlan

Lisa Marie
08-05-2006, 07:32 AM
me I'm kinda of getting fed up with the Thrift Stores and Goodwill. When I go in there they usually never have nothing I like and when you look at the ladies tops and sweaters you can see hair on them it kinda of grosses me out. So I'm starting to buy new stuff for myself.

Maureen Henley
08-05-2006, 07:32 AM
My major problem with the thrift stores is that the racking seem to be haphazard at best. No size sorting. since I'm big, the is a very limited selection in my size, but I have to search everything to find very little that fitsd.

Tina Dixon
08-05-2006, 07:38 AM
No dressing rooms at the one's by me, but a the prices who needs them.

drew44
08-05-2006, 07:57 AM
Don't worry God is often a boy scout! And boys will be girls!!!!!!!!

Carroll
08-05-2006, 08:03 AM
Always shop there, not only for clothes but for a lot of other stuff.

Ranee Daze
08-05-2006, 11:05 AM
Here in Canada, Value Village is getting a little more difficult to shop at because they post a staff at the entrance of a cordoned-off changing area. This makes trying on femme stuff en drab a D-R-A-G (pun intended) but less so if you shop en femme.. VV has the best stuff and racking. Sally Anne has good prices as well. You choose, but there is danger in thrift shopping because you tend to buy more clothes than you really need. Best to go with lists, a theme, or even cutout looks from magazines you think would work before you run out of closet (no pun intended) space.
My Golden Rule?.......................

If I can't use it, wear it fairly quickly or easily...no sale..

If I have to alter or clean it too much...no sale.

Junksailors.....cast off!

Butterfly Bill
08-05-2006, 11:53 AM
You're shopping at the Sali Army?? Holy crap, I'm surprised they don't out you and then try to purge you of all your "sins"...

or am I wrong in my prejudice?

At the Gospel Rescue Mission they may try to save your soul, but at the Sally they usually don't, unless you sign up for one of their more intense get you off the bottle programs, where you live in a dorm and have daily counseling sessions. If you are a customer at their homeless shelter or their evening meal, you get a totally secular treatment, likewise at their thrift stores. (At least this is how they are in the States)

julie w
08-05-2006, 11:56 AM
the stuff is so cheap just buy it and if it doesnt fit put it back in there
donation bin , its hard to find up to date clothes . as for the change rooms
they are unisex ,dont ask if its ok just mix stuff up with some guys stuff
if you are nervous .

tekla west
08-05-2006, 12:13 PM
I like it because I can buy a dress, wear it a few times, turn it in for credit, total cost tends to be about a buck a wearing. I've found DKNY stuff with the Macy's tags still on it. Got a 15 speed bike (major brand) for $30. The lock cost me more. The best rule of thumb is to go to the one in the richest section of town, rich folk toss so much stuff its mind-numbing so I love the one here in SF in Pacific Hgts. The one in Marin is way nice too.

Kandi
08-05-2006, 02:58 PM
The Goodwill in my area seems to be great, you can find several complete outfits for less than $10. I don't bother trying things on, I like to go home and wash them first.

gennee
08-05-2006, 04:43 PM
I've purchased most of my clothes at the Salvation Army. They don't have dressing rooms but I know my sizes and have an eye for seeing what will fit me. There's a Goodwill near my home. I haven't purchased anything there but they have some nice articles.

Gennee

Julie York
08-05-2006, 04:49 PM
If you know the right places to go they come round at midnight with soup and a selection of fem clothing for the needy CDs.

Trouble is you have to say a prayer in thanks before they give you the ball gown and 50s bra but it's worth it.:D

Angie G
08-05-2006, 05:20 PM
I find some real nice things a S.A. also the RescueMission Ihave at times found new item with tags still on them.
Angie G.

Karren H
08-05-2006, 05:53 PM
I've never been happy with either.....too hard wading through all the racks, trying to find my size....and although Tekla says there is something about wearing fem clothing previously worn by a GG......I'd rather buy at a nice store on clearence and try them on in their dressing rooms......

Just my opinion.

Love Karren

Calliope
08-05-2006, 06:43 PM
When I lived in Northampton MA, the SAs and GWs were plundered by the many antique dealers and retro clothing sellers shopped them pre-hours (at dealer discounts no less) and, then, they'd go mark all the good stuff for 500% markups.

Portland Maine is different. The 'thrifty' Mainer culture shuns antique boutiques - so the used joints are stocked. I live at my local Goodwill. The sizing there is done so accurately, I no longer need to try stuff (skirts & Tees) on.

The local Salvation Army is a quality dip but there's always one ot two amazing items. The lack of dressing rooms could be a downer for many but I figure, at the prices, it's still a bargain.

And, yes, I agree with Tekla - there is a sort of (postmodern) buzz about wearing the hand-me-downs of GGs who, once, had the same taste in styles as me. MMMMmmmmmmm.

tekla west
08-05-2006, 07:10 PM
Wait till you see what they put in the GW down in Silicone Valley, the opposite of thrifty, its spendthrift. I bought it just to buy it, I would never, like, wear it. When you get out here I will be happy to show you some of the stores in SF, its mindblowing. The GW flagship store is fab, the one in Pacific Hgts is marvy, ThriftTown is hippie heaven, all very TG friendly. Plus, on Sept 28 Bloomies opens, to join the two Macy's, the two Nordstroms, the Sak's 5th Ave, and all that. (and no WalMart, No KMart, & no Target in the City limits - hey, we have our priorities OK) Then there is Chinatown and the Mission, tons of stuff, way cheap. Girl, its about as far from Maine as you can get, in reality, and in attitude.

Jadeanne
08-05-2006, 10:45 PM
I feel very fortunate, having a loving, supporting, mostly same size wife who goes with me to several thrift stores and helps me with sizing. She also gets a few things for herself.

I turned 55 in January, retired at the end of April. Two close by thrift stores (Aplus bargains and AMVETS) give 25% off to senior citizens on all clothing and shoes on Mondays. On Tuesdays, Two Goodwills near us have their 25% off day for seniors.

The Goodwill stores often have new clothing which was old stock donated by a retail store.

The Salvation Army stores have 5 different color tags, and on any day except Wednesday, there is a tag color of the day and clothing with the color of the day tag is 50% off.

On Wednesdays, 1 Salvation Army near us and another in Niagara Falls have Family Day, where all clothing and shoes EXCEPT for one color tag are 50% off.

Jadeanne

trannie T
08-05-2006, 11:00 PM
The nearest Salvation Army store has a Sally's Sensations store next door. Sallys has better stuff and sells it for a higher price but still very reasonable.

PinkVanessa07
08-05-2006, 11:40 PM
Thanks for the help everyone! I think I'll check both Salvation Army and Goodwill out!

Barb Valentine
08-06-2006, 12:18 AM
I just love Value Village
Most of the clothes are sorted by size
And work takes me by 7 of them :heehee:

Rachel Morley
08-06-2006, 12:24 AM
The best rule of thumb is to go to the one in the richest section of town, rich folk toss so much stuff its mind-numbing.
This is excellent advice, and I do this myself all the time. I've found tons of designer stuff in "hardly worn condition". Also Tekla is right, the prices are so cheap if you only wear it a few times you still get your money's worth...and the other big thing she mentions, wearing clothes that "real women" have worn somehow gives you a little buzz...although nothing beats the buzz of my wife's hand me downs :D

Jadeanne
08-07-2006, 10:36 PM
I made an error about the Monday seniors clothing discount at Aplus Bargains - it isn't 25% off, it's 50% off!

I was there today and picked up a red Leslie Fay border print dress for $3, including NYS sales tax!

Jadeanne

CharlaineCadence
08-08-2006, 02:18 AM
most if not all of the sally's in ri have dressing rooms many are hidden back by the sorting area and they could care less about men buying womens clothing and trying them on. I shop sally's almost all the time along with savers. both are very trans friendly so crossdressers will not be bothered. as far as sicing their ok but you need to go in the morning when the racks are at their best. i have found very expencive dresses in my size their for less then 3 dollers heck even my favret dress cost me .50 when brand new is like 600 made by g.a. I also find that savers stores are great and have many changing rooms and if you buy something and try it on at home you can return it for credit. the only draw back i find with any thrift shopping is simply that many places have few tags so one needs to find other sizing ideas. and remember also that the new trend is to say something that is really a 18 is now a 10 or 12 so try it out. or do the old string trick. pm me if you would like iinfo on the string trick though i think i posted it somewhere on this bord need to search to find it.

CharlaineCadence
08-08-2006, 02:26 AM
most if not all of the sally's in ri have dressing rooms many are hidden back by the sorting area and they could care less about men buying womens clothing and trying them on. I shop sally's almost all the time along with savers. both are very trans friendly so crossdressers will not be bothered. as far as sicing their ok but you need to go in the morning when the racks are at their best. i have found very expencive dresses in my size their for less then 3 dollers heck even my favret dress cost me .50 when brand new is like 600 made by g.a. I also find that savers stores are great and have many changing rooms and if you buy something and try it on at home you can return it for credit. the only draw back i find with any thrift shopping is simply that many places have few tags so one needs to find other sizing ideas. and remember also that the new trend is to say something that is really a 18 is now a 10 or 12 so try it out. or do the old string trick. pm me if you would like iinfo on the string trick though i think i posted it somewhere on this bord need to search to find it.

Gunda
08-08-2006, 03:36 AM
Hi,
I've had the most experience with Goodwill - though I agree with others that the quality of the merchandise really depends on where the individual Goodwill outlet is located. The outlet nearest me doesn't have very quick turnover of clothes but what they have is great and - funnily enough - alot of the dresses there are long enough for my over six foot three inch body. All I can figure is that a bunch of real amazonians must live in the area and periodically re-organize their closets, with me being the happy recipient! Other Goodwills I've been in have had more or less selection depending on the neighborhood. There is one "Sally Anne" in my town. They are cheaper but selection is far more limited.

Best,
Gunda

Amy H.
08-13-2006, 07:37 PM
Have gotten a few things at the thrifts but generally it is a real chore to find something in the correct size. I like Wal-Mart early on a weekday morning a whole lot better...... and and Wal-Mart is about as inexpensive