PDA

View Full Version : Tips for the new dressers

Tina Dixon
08-05-2006, 10:20 AM
OK I know I have been hard on some new people around here but I thought I would start a thread were some of us girls have learned a trick or two to pass on to the newer crossdressers, sort of give some thing back, so please join in here.
Tina

OK my tip, when I had my first transformation done it was also the first time I had heels on, hell I needed help just standing and they were only 3" heels, what I was told to do was walk on my toes and then it would start coming to me and it has been easy since then, so if your having problem walking give this tip a try.

Maddie
08-05-2006, 11:25 AM
NEVER NEVER NEVER PURGE KEEP OT ALL OR YOU WILL KICK YOURSELF

nuff said
Maddie

Janelle Young
08-05-2006, 11:32 AM
Invest in a good set of breast forms. It is money well spent.

GypsyKaren
08-05-2006, 11:44 AM
When trying to decide what to buy or wear, just be yourself instead of trying to be someone different, it will come through and show in your look.

Karen

tekla west
08-05-2006, 11:47 AM
To the degree you can, come out, no one can out you if you are out.

Deborah
08-05-2006, 01:06 PM
Shop around and actually try wigs on. Buy online if you wish, but when you find the style just doesn't quite suit you you've wasted money.

windycissy
08-05-2006, 01:13 PM
Visit my Internet Advice Column, Ask Windy Cissy (http://snurl.com/askwindy), for responses to questions about crossdressing and fashion dilemmas

Tina Dixon
08-05-2006, 01:16 PM
Join the Beauty Club run by DanaJ

http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21

sparks
08-05-2006, 01:23 PM
If you are using homemade breastforms and have filled waterballoons with hair gel. Stay away from the furniture when using sharp objects.

Ashley Helen
08-05-2006, 02:04 PM
Thanks Tina, I will bear that in mind when I have my first pair of shoes;
Thanks Maddie but too late, I purged everything when I moved to Spain; Now having to start again.
Thanks Janelle, but what shape breast form is best for me? How do I work it out?
Thanks Deborah you have confirmed my thinking. I have spotted a couple of shops and now need the opportunity to visit. Now what is the spanish for wig?
I consider myself a new girl so have no tips to offer, but thanks to all the girls for the advice offered.

Helen xx

Julie York
08-05-2006, 04:30 PM
Shaved legs get spotty. But they get used to it if you do it regularly (and don't use a Mach 3) so it'll all come good eventually.

There are no rules. Dress how you feel most comfortable.

gennee
08-05-2006, 05:02 PM
Don't rush into anything before you are ready. Appreciate the down times from dressing. It can be a time to reflect where you are and where you want to go.

Gennee

Jodi
08-05-2006, 08:46 PM
Get a good quality wig that is your color and style. Do this by buying at a wig shop. Let the professionals fit you right.

Get a professional make-over. You might think it is expensive, but you will probably spend 5 times that amount on cosmetics that are wrong for you. Also, let that professional teach you how to apply makeup, then practice, practice, practice.

If possible, buy better shoes in a store, not off the net. Try them on, make sure they fit you right. A good fitting pair of heels should not hurt, and should be good for about 6-8 hours of wearing.

Get a professional bra fitting.

Establish a rapport with several stores where you like to shop. Get to know the manager and the SA's. They will treat you right and make sure you look great.

Jodi

KateW
08-05-2006, 08:57 PM
Don't fall asleep fully dressed if there are other people in the house that you don't want to walk in on you! I did this - not good!

Michelle Ellis
08-05-2006, 09:21 PM
Don't fall asleep fully dressed if there are other people in the house that you don't want to walk in on you! I did this - not good!

Ohh... been there! Not good and easy to do... :o

M

KateW
08-05-2006, 10:28 PM
Ohh... been there! Not good and easy to do... :o

M

The worst part of it is that I did it two days in a row! :confused2:

Stephanie Miller
08-05-2006, 11:08 PM
Oh heavens Maddie, I have to disagree. It is very hard for newbies not to get that feeing. We all did. I do, however, feel it very important to teach them
WHEN to purge.
Therefore I offer them the solution that has served me well for many years...
Always try and hold out on the purge until after Christmas every year.
That way you can pick up on THE AFTER CHRISTMAS SALES!!!! :lol:
(Keeps the wardrobe in up to date styles too? ;) )

On a serious note: If out of closet is calling you and you strive to emulate gg's... Then, when you think you have the feminine movements and motions down...... video yourself puttering around the house for a while.
Are your motions smooth or stiff. Manerisms too fake and exagerated?
Knuckles dragging. Would wide spread walk do a cowboy proud?
There's really only three things you need to practice. 1) Deportment 2) Deportment and 3)Deportment

Carroll
08-05-2006, 11:17 PM
When you out your self to you SO and she approves....dont go overboard and push the CDing on her. She might change her mind

Billijo49504
08-05-2006, 11:30 PM
When you decide to go out dressed, do your homework. Don't go to the grocery store. dressed for the club, or visa versa. Where heels, a mini, a tight tank top might be right for a clubbing night, I'm sure everyone will notice you in the mall, or the grocery store. I go out dressed more to the grocery store than the mall. A gurl's got to eat....BJ

Joy Carter
08-05-2006, 11:38 PM
Accept your self then work on the others in your life.

Rachel Morley
08-06-2006, 12:01 AM
Get dressed first, do your make up second, and put your wig on last. Talking of make up....practice, practice, practice....and don't worry about taking two hours and it still only looks mediocre....practice makes perfect, and speed comes with time. As for finding the right foundation (both color and application) to hide your beard shadow....it took me over a year to get that right!

Barb Valentine
08-06-2006, 12:07 AM
I think the most important thing is to feel good about yourself

Jasmine Ellis
08-06-2006, 06:50 AM
When you out your self to you SO and she approves....dont go overboard and push the CDing on her. She might change her mind

I'll seconed that.

Kate Simmons
08-06-2006, 08:34 AM
...is to just have fun and enjoy being yourself. God knows, there are enough problems in the world to go around for everyone. Try to find peace with yourself and love who you are as a person. Ericka

Michelle Ellis
08-06-2006, 05:10 PM
I think the most important thing is to feel good about yourself

That's exactly it... I don't know if it's just an illusion or not for me (time will tell), but it seems like life changes at that point for the better. A necessary step.

M

tasha
08-06-2006, 05:24 PM
Make sure you have removed all of your new eyeliner when you try it in the carpark, because you cannot wait to drive home to try it!!

Ms. Donna
08-06-2006, 05:31 PM
Eyebrows. If you have unibrow or 'bushy' brows, go to a salon and get them shaped. They need not be overly arched or thin - just a well shaped - to make a big difference.

Love & Stuff,
Donna

MarinaTwelve200
08-06-2006, 05:34 PM
OK I know I have been hard on some new people around here but I thought I would start a thread were some of us girls have learned a trick or two to pass on to the newer crossdressers, sort of give some thing back, so please join in here.
Tina

OK my tip, when I had my first transformation done it was also the first time I had heels on, hell I needed help just standing and they were only 3" heels, what I was told to do was walk on my toes and then it would start coming to me and it has been easy since then, so if your having problem walking give this tip a try.

Yes, if you can walk on your tip toes you can wear heels. Put weight on the heels only when stoping to rest----so long as the heels arent too high, to where you are forced to rely on putting some weight on the heel when actually walking (Usually over 4 inches) then it becomes a new balancing game.

Wendy me
08-07-2006, 06:24 AM
ok let's try shopping .... probly the biggy for a lot of new girls ... ok after getting your sizes sorted out write them down on a pice of papper ... now go to a store and go up to a sales girl and ask her if she could help you pick out a out fit for your wife or girlfreind you can say i have her sizes here (show the papper ) and when asked what she likes tell the sales girl .... now the cool part is you get help finding a outfit that matches and you can be as nervious as you want .....soon you will be out shopping and haveing a ball doing it .....rember before you get to the point were you don't care you have to start.......shop on girls.........

Casey Morgan
08-07-2006, 09:03 AM
If it doesn't feel right, don't do it. There isn't just one way to be ANYTHING in this community. It doesn't make you any less of a {whatever} if you don't do something.

jessicaparrot
08-07-2006, 10:40 AM
The most Important thing you can do is accept you for you and never let anyone tell you different. be yourself

Brenda Locke
08-07-2006, 04:23 PM
When it comes to shaving/waxing your arms and legs or even your torso(chest) the majority of people don't even notice. That or they just don't care. The trick is go slow especially when shaving as nothing looks worst than a large number of nicks.

LoL Brenda

paulaN
08-07-2006, 05:04 PM
If you are going to use nail polish, make sure you have the remover too.

SherriePall
08-07-2006, 05:14 PM
What Paula just said! And, I might add, if you use make-up, make sure you have make-up remover.

sterling12
08-08-2006, 01:46 AM
As soon as you feel that you are able, join a support group! A lot of "newbie" questions will be answered, it's likely you'll end up with a Big sister to mentor you, and you will start to have a lot of fun and feel positive about your unique gift!

On a more practical note, don't go overboard on the jewelry. lots and lots of rings and bracelets only emphasize and draw attention to large hands. Likewise, if your hands are big, don't make them look gigantic with those really long "clawlike" nails.

Peace and Love, Joanie

Tracy_Victoria
08-08-2006, 05:56 AM
Get dressed first, do your make up second, and put your wig on last. Talking of make up....practice, practice, practice....and don't worry about taking two hours and it still only looks mediocre....practice makes perfect, and speed comes with time. As for finding the right foundation (both color and application) to hide your beard shadow....it took me over a year to get that right!

I don't tend to dress that way, I find if your going to use power over foundation it gets everywhere, hence I never put on my outer clothes till i've finished my make up, that way if I make a mess, i've not ruined the outfit I planned to wear!

Jerry
08-08-2006, 06:46 AM
Although my first tendencies were to go with teddies and miniskirts, I've found the everyday normal clothes for my appropriate age to provide the most satisfaction, comfort, etc.

Right now, it's the young mom look. Shoulder length hair. Pretty top, not too sexy. Capris or a casual skirt. Sandals with kitten heels. A small cute purse. Just enough make up to highlight the eyes, cheeks, and lips.

Stay real.

Until you are ready for "Girls Gone Wild"!

Hugs. Jerry

Johanna R
08-16-2006, 07:34 PM
I usually cannot shave my legs - one of those curious "out" but still "in" things... anyway, I've found that if you wear a pair of regualr panty hose, taupe, nude or suntan, and then wear a pair of off black over them it will hide the hair, and any blemishes on your legs... and I ALWAYS get compliments on my legs when I do this. Many times I have had a GG say "your legs are great, so much better than mine..." :happy:

Cristi
08-16-2006, 08:41 PM
If you are going to use nail polish, make sure you have the remover too.

That goes double (no pun intended...?) for breast form adhesive!!! Nothing like having the forms on for a LOT longer than you had planned 'cause you can't find the remover, or ran out!

Cristi
08-16-2006, 08:50 PM
I usually cannot shave my legs - one of those curious "out" but still "in" things...

Of all the things I've done that I'd expected SOME reaction to and gotten NOTHING, one was shaving my legs, and the other was getting my ears pierced.

For the first month of Summer after shaving my legs smooth, I constantly expected *somebody* to at least mention it, but I got zero reaction.

When I pierced my ears several years ago, I expected to be able to have them pierced on a Friday and be able to take them out for work Monday morning. I wasn't told until AFTER they were done that I was supposed to leave the studs in for 4-6 weeks straight! Well, I've got to say I was pretty nervous going to work on Monday, but never got a single reaction until finally about SIX WEEKS LATER somebody did a double-take and asked me how long I'd had pierced ears!! Even my dad never mentioned the large studs I had in each ear. :) I now wear small silver earrings (just big enough to fit a pencil through) 24/7 and think I would only get a reaction if I ever took them out!

I guess that would be a good tip for this thread... Don't get your ears pierced unless you are ready to leave them in for the first 4-6 weeks for everybody to see!

angelfire
08-16-2006, 08:59 PM
Yea, pretty much all piercings are like that. I have my eyebrow pierced, and the 6 weeks was just up as of sunday.

Also, shaving all body hair is a common trend now in the age range of 18-mid twenties. Alot of guys have started doing it. Hell, I have friends who do it all the time. Shaving body hair is more acceptable on guys now.

Lauren B
08-16-2006, 09:05 PM
Where makeup is concerned- less is more. Use as little as you can possibly get away with.

Charleen
08-16-2006, 10:09 PM
Stop feeling guilty. Stop questioning why. Stop judging yourself by others standards of "proper" behavior. Ask questions on this site, believe me, us girls love to give advice! Most of all, as my tag line says, get comfortable in you own skin. Once we accept who we are, it's an amazing journey of personal discovery with wonders and contentment to be found. Love and xxxx, Lily:hugs:

Paula Rae
08-16-2006, 11:46 PM
Tip for crossdressers that are serious about "Coming Out"

Join a support group, just as you found the great support of this forum, you will really appreciate the help and support of real live people.

I belong to the "Diablo Valley Girls" a non-profit, non-sexual support group for transgendered individuals, their families and friends.

Paula Rae

angelfire
08-17-2006, 07:09 AM
Anyone have any advice on tucking? I seem to be having some issues in that area. Would it just be better to invest in a gaff?

Penny
08-17-2006, 09:08 AM
Comming out of the closet does not mean coming out of the cage!

sandra-leigh
08-18-2006, 12:28 AM
As for finding the right foundation (both color and application) to hide your beard shadow....it took me over a year to get that right!

Speaking of such things, I would add this tip:

Don't overshave . If you are trying too hard to get a close shave, then you will probably nick yourself (even if you are using an electric razor.) Learn when to stop and cover the rest with foundation or concealer.

sandra-leigh
08-18-2006, 01:06 AM
Anyone have any advice on tucking? I seem to be having some issues in that area. Would it just be better to invest in a gaff?

There was a recent thread asking people if they tucked. A rough (approximate) summary is that people tuck when trying to "pass", but a lot don't bother to tuck if they are wearing mens' clothes on top. Though the people who dress pretty much full time seemed more likely to tuck full time (the distinction here being that dressing most of the time is not the same as trying to "pass" all of that time.)

Several people in the thread mentioned that they found thong-style panties to be good for avoiding slippage.

In my personal experience, there have only been a few very specific models of panties that have given me slippage problems (e.g., one style number of Elita); on the other hand, now I get slippage nearly every time I wear mens' briefs or boxers.

If the problem is bulge, then you can get thicker panties with little stretch (e.g., a stiff cotton), or you can buy panties made in materials that have essentially no stretch (e.g., pure poly, or rayon); if I recall correctly, one person indicated that they wear two layers of panties to deal with bulge. As a minor shopping tip: the cheapest panties at Sears and at discount stores are often panties that have almost no stretch (such panties are pretty much pressed out instead of being sewn!)

If the problem is length escapage, then a stretch fabric such as a microfibre can be quite accomedating. That, and use the water closet, and then relax; in my experience, panties that seem too short when first put on, are often fine in practice, once my mind gets distracted.

Helena Constantini
08-18-2006, 03:36 AM
We are only talking about the dressing.
Whatever you dress, it doesn't look elegant, if you have bulky and fat body.
I think that we must care our fittness, more than genetic girls; thus we may look better than them.

Miss_D
08-18-2006, 11:57 AM
Advice.....its easy, but takes a little time. Just read thru some of the really old posts on this site. You can find lots of advice there.

luv 'D':2c:

jacquie randall
08-18-2006, 01:57 PM
Make sure you have removed all of your new eyeliner when you try it in the carpark, because you cannot wait to drive home to try it!!
HITasha i have only joined this week. Iam very excited and relieved to have found this site so to communicate with others who share my passion to be enfeme. As far as the eyeliner i have not experienced this as yet but iam looking forward to travelling to SYDNEY to go shopping enfemme with both my wife and daughter.Is YOUR Port McQuarie in NEW SOUTH WALES AUSTRALIA.Kk
Keep smileing TASHA KINDEST REGARDS Jacquie Randall

Maija
08-19-2006, 11:30 PM
Wow

Thats a lot of tips!

angelfire
08-20-2006, 02:31 PM
Thanks alot everyone, and especially tess-leigh. The information was REALLY helpful.