PDA

View Full Version : Dual-gender hair cut

renee99
08-07-2006, 10:13 PM
I have wavy, very thick dirty blond hair, a light complexion, blond/reddish stubble, and blue eyes. My last haircut was August of last year. Got told many times by many people to get it cut along the way. In my mind, I had to think why are you so busy with deciding things for me?

I always had a buzz cut per my mother, and after divorcing myself from her control, wanted long hair. So it has grown out from that. The back is below my shoulders now, but the front is just behind my ears. I wear it in a pony tail because that is the only way I really can right now due to all the different lengths relative to my shoulders. Of course, I get told that the pony tail looks like crap and that I should get it cut off... people just don't seem to understand that nice looking long hair is a project that does not bear fruit overnight, and giving up early doesn't get you any closer to the goal.

Anyway. Rant aside. I am hoping that there is some kind of cut I can get that I can use in either 'mode'. I prefer the idea of fem-styled natural hair to a wig, but I also don't want to have an obviously feminine hair style when in male mode.

Does anyone have any ideas? I would like to grow my hair for a few more months for some more length before I get it cut at all. But I would like to be armed with some ideas in the mean time.

Miss Vicki
08-08-2006, 03:39 AM
My suggestion would be to start looking in glamour magazines. Find the hair style that you think you would like. Maybe take a picture of yourself and the cut out the picture from the magazine and place it on top of your picture. This could give you an idea of what you might like.
Or better yet, Go into a salon and ask one of the ladies what style would look best on you. Tell them you getting ready for Halloween.

cindianna_jones
08-08-2006, 03:57 AM
Call a hair dresser and make an appointment. Be up front with her on the phone and tell her what you want. Some will cooperate some will not. They don't know who you are so don't be embarrassed.

You can get a shoulder length cut and have it layered. You'll be able to use that cut either way. Use a little hair cream for the masculine look. Fluff it up with a curling iron for the look en femme.

Cindi

Jasmine Ellis
08-08-2006, 06:30 AM
Call a hair dresser and make an appointment. Be up front with her on the phone and tell her what you want. Some will cooperate some will not. They don't know who you are so don't be embarrassed.

You can get a shoulder length cut and have it layered. You'll be able to use that cut either way. Use a little hair cream for the masculine look. Fluff it up with a curling iron for the look en femme.

Cindi

what Cindi said sounds good to me

Drucilla
08-08-2006, 09:11 AM
You could try a computer simulation site listed on this links page.
http://www.sandimari.com/VirtualSalon.htm
On some of these you upload your picture and then apply various styles of makeup and hair to your picture. Have not tried to actually do this but it seems like a great way to find a style that might work without actually applying the scissors !!

Casey Morgan
08-08-2006, 09:18 AM
I've been thinking about that too, although I haven't yet had the courage to do anything more than simply not cut my hair yet. I'm thinking that some of the longer 80s-style mens hair styles would be a good starting point. See what you can get away with in male mode, then see which of those would work for women too.

Tiffany 1953
08-08-2006, 09:23 AM
I did grow my normaly short hair out for three years once. It was mid back but it was totaly unbnageable (dry and curly) I put all the negative coments off by saying I had lost a bet with the wife..Etc. I now prefur a wig. The better quality one you can afford the easer it is to wear. Just go for the longest pony tail and tell them all that you have discovered a rock star hidden in your body..HA Tiffany

Charleen
08-08-2006, 09:55 AM
My hair has been growing for quite a while and is now down to my bra strap. It is all the same length and I wear it in a pony tail most of the time. I gotta tel ya, No one has ever said a word to me about the length, pony tail, or anything about my hair, except for compliments on how soft and curly(natural) it is and this is when in drab. As far as the look you want, the other girls have given you some great advice, as usual, so I wish you the best and just ignore those rude bores who think they have a say in everything to everbody. It just ain't none of their business! Love and xxx, Lily

Stephenie S
08-08-2006, 10:14 AM
Oh my goodness girls, STOP with the silly excuses! Hair is sooo personal. "Because I like it long" is the ONLY explanation you ever need to give to anyone who is nosy and impolite enough to ask WHY you cut your hair in a particular fashion.

Go to a hairdresser with some pictures of styles you like. You can either say you just want long hair or you can be more upfront and say you want a feminine style. They have seen and heard it all and they are professioinals who will be able to help you pick out a flattering style. They will know weather or not your hair can be styled into a particular style.

Personally, I went throught the wig web sites (I used the Henry Margu site) and downloaded a bunch of pictures of wigs that I thought would look good on me and then took them to the hairdresser for his advice. We picked out one that he thought would look good and be possible with my thin (and thinning) grey and fly away hair.

I had been going to Haircuts Plus for years. When I told them I wanted long hair they steered me toward the Willey Nelson look. As this was definately not the look I wanted, I went to the salon my wife goes to for better advice. I was very pleased that I did. And it was SOOO much fun.

How you cut and style your hair is NO ONE'S business but yours! Can you imagine anyone getting in your face about what color your car is? Or why you wear a short sleeve shirt? Or weather you wear a beard? Live your life and leave the busy bodies behind.

Lovies,
Stephenie

Ranee Daze
08-08-2006, 11:02 AM
Chalk it up to homophobia, but any time a man has great looking, well-cared for , L-O-N-G-E-R hair he's labelled a radical. Do you rememberr when the Beatles were called "mop-tops"?, By today's standards they look like accountants.
Look around at any other species and it is the male with the finer hair, flashier scales, more brilliant plumage. Sporting a longer, better lookinhg coif will be an answer to a simple and basic call of nature, which the current male "gender box" seems to go against. Truth is, many women are jealous because they haven't the time to manage longer hair, and men are uneasy because they are the ones feining natural selection.
My hair is shorter now, but I keep it in great colour and condition and it looks, even in drab, better than many GG's hair. When I went long and dabbled, more like drowned, in highlights...well I felt alive both in drag and enfemme.
A tip though, for a real pleasurable experience, when you are going to the salon, go enfemme. It is a simply delicious world to enter into. I always select a stylist with hair that I'd like to wear....just to be on the same plane..