PDA

View Full Version : Over my shopping shyness!!! (another long post... get used to them)

CindyFinalyFree
08-09-2006, 12:39 AM
I've gone and done it. I started an addiction that I know is just going to get worse.... and I LOVE IT.

A couple months ago, I stopped at a local drug store and picked up the following items: Veet, pantyhose, and a toothbrush (have to get a new one ONCE in a while, ya know). Sure, I've purchased the occasional item before, but there was just something different. I used to be terrified that someone would say something negative, draw attention to me, point and laugh, whatever. However, after reading a lot of comments and experiences of fellow CD'ers, I've come to realize that the chances of this are slim, and even if it 'did' happen, it's not like someone's going to shoot me, run me off the road, etc. If they did, I'd sue them for so much I could afford to transform and move somewhere to start a new life as Cindy in style. Anyway... back to the topic.....

Two weeks ago, I bought my first 'outfit'... a skirt and matching blouse.

Last week-end, I went to the same drug store as the month before and bought a manicure kit (Thanks for the advice, btw, DanaJ... My nails are nearly all the same length, and have 'just' the right sheen to not draw attention at work).

But today, I did something I wouldn't have considered 2 months ago... I sought out a wig. Hearing how 'professional' salespersons generally are (think about it.. they could lose their job otherwise... we all have to pay the rent), I went to a Dillards on the other side of town to look around. I didn't expect to find a wig; rather, I went with the intention of seeking out a salesperson (ok, sales lady... I wouldn't dare ask a guy.. besides.. how would he know) that would likely be able to refer me to a wig shop nearby. I made a full tour of all 4 floors before picking her out (still understandably nervous, I chose an elderly lady near the exit I would be using to get back to my car :cheeky: ). I walked up to her and said "excuse me" in a somewhat quiet and almost breaking voice, "could I ask you a subtle question?" "Sure." "Where might I be able to purchase a wig?" I couldn't believe I actually asked!!! Admittedly, she seemed a bit surprised, but the look of her mind searching quickly took over. She then gave me directions to a place nearby, and tried to make sure I understood where it was. As I expected, she didn't smirk, laugh or call her co-workers over to loudly proclaim what I just asked her. I thanked her and left.

Well, I found the shop (low and behold, they had 'WIG SALE' signs all about the parking lot and windows... I coulda found it without asking, had I driven 2 more blocks). Anyway, for 7pm, I was surprised (and quite relieved) to see only one customer. As I walked toward the back of the store to stall until the customer left, the lady all the way at the front asked if she could help me. Not wanting to alert the one customer, I quickly said no. The lady called for her assistant anyway (but she didn't hear), and I said that I saw her go in the back.

Well, as the customer approached the check-out, I made a b-line toward where I saw the other lady dissappear. I wanted to make it quick, and with any luck, no other customers would come in before we were done. When I found the assistant, (I'm so proud of myself), I immediately asked her if she could help me find a wig. When she asked if it was for me, I didn't hesitate to say "yes". (WOW at my bravery!!) I think I threw her, but not for the reason you would think.... you see, I haven't shaved my (face) cheeks for a week, and my goatee was well over a month old (key word 'was' hehe). Had I been clean shaven, she probably wouldn't even have asked.

At any rate, she stopped what she was doing, and motioned for me to follow her. As we went to the wall (one entire wall the length of the shop was dedicated to wigs floor to ceiling), she asked me if I had a preference of color.... I told her I didn't want anything too dark, because of my blonde eyebrows. I also offered that I wanted something with bangs to help conceal my brow (I've got a heavy brow, even for a male). She immediately pointed out a couple of styles and asked if I wanted to try one on that I responded to. As she was pulling one out of the package, her manager came over and offered to help as well.

The manager helped me try on a few wigs, while the assistant busied down the wall looking for the color and style I had described. The manager pointed out one that 'a lot of her male customers' seemed to prefer (which was a straight long hear, mid shoulder length). This impressed me, as I could tell I was acting a bit nervous, and she was obviously trying to make me feel like I wasn't the first and wouldn't be the last guy looking to buy a wig. From that point on, I was sold. I told her I was looking for something with a bit more shape, (and again) something with bangs to hide my brow.

As I was trying on the 3rd wig, a couple who had entered were browsing in an isle near me. I could hear them talking amongst themselves, but it wasn't about me. I glanced over the counter just to be sure I wasn't being 'watched'.. ok, so I'm still a bit nervous... don't want to be outed, after all. Nope, just looking for gel.

Before I knew it, I was trying on a 4th wig, and the manager was commenting on features she liked about how each one looked on me. Comments like how one was 'pretty', and another helped make my face look a bit slimmer. I started to feel so at ease, I didn't even bother looking around while trying on the 4th and 5th wig. By that time, however, I was getting impatient. You can only shop for so long, and I didn't want to have two salespersons hovering over me for a mere $50 purchase.

Anyway, I ended up picking one of the ones she had suggested (not the straight one; one that was wavy and just long enough to lightly rest on my shoulders. When I got up to the register, there was another customer checking out as the assistant bagged my selection. The woman and her assumed husband were there for extensions (undoubtedly for her.. he was ALL male). Niether one of them reacted as they undoubtedly saw what I was purchasing as I paid.

After paying, I decided to browse a bit more, and ended up making a second stop at the register with some white hose. I even found some magnetic earings that were just the right size, and bought those too.

On my way home, I was feeling rather proud of myself. What better reward for a girl than to buy a new pair of shoes?!?!? I stopped at the local Hypermart and found a pair to my liking and stood in line with everyone else. I noticed a trio of colored males in front of me.... but quickly realized, if anyone was drawing attention, it was them... they were undoubtedly homosexual in manerism, one with blatantly long nails. I stood in line, coyly positioning my small shoe box between me and them, so the people behind me couldn't see what I had until I plopped the box on the conveyer. The cashier was slacking in her duties (thankfully) and didn't bother opening the box to verify the rightful contents (they're supposed to check for hidden merchandise). Not that I had added anything, I just didn't want her to pull them out for everyone in line to see.

So ends my shopping spree for the month. Now to find a way to model the wig to my SO before she finds one of the hairs and thinks I've had some other woman in the house. One step at a time, though. I think I'll practice my nails some more, and maybe try a little make-up next week-end. Will save the wig until she's a little more comfortable with me doing my nails and face.

tekla west
08-09-2006, 12:45 AM
Why did you need to ask as opposed to looking in the Yellow Pages? Wig stores have a major source of sales to men for one reason or another, most might be CD/TG, but there are other reasons too. So I would expect them to act in a professional manner, besides times are tight, money is money.

Deanna2
08-09-2006, 01:20 AM
I remember the first wig I ever bought many years ago was for my wife (really truly) and it never occurred to me that a man couldn't buy a wig. My wife actually wore it on a number of occasions.

More recently, on a visit to Hong Kong, I stopped by a wig shop to buy a wig for me. I looked around for quite a bit and eventually chose one that I liked and said to the guy serving that I would take it. Then to my surprize, he literally made me try it on. Whether or not he was having some fun at a westerner's expense I don't know. The upshot was that I really didn't like that particular wig, so I tried on a few more until I found one I liked. So actually by making me try on the wig before buying, I got the one I really liked.

CindyFinalyFree
08-09-2006, 01:27 AM
Why did you need to ask as opposed to looking in the Yellow Pages?

I suppose it was more to confirm the claims of so many others. :) I was feeling daring and actually got a thrill out of it. Dangerous? Thinking about it like that, mayhaps I should practice a bit of discretion for a while. :heehee: Don't want to let things get to the point where I'm shopping in the neighborhood where a family member lives. Lucky for me, KC is a big city, and my family is 'grouped' in residence.

L.E.J.
08-11-2006, 03:18 PM
I got over my "shopping anxiety" a little while ago and I am glad that I did it makes shopping for clothes much more enjoyable. Of course, as far as finding what I want now THAT is a different story. LOL I like dresses and long skirts and those do not seem to be the style so the stores do not stock much of them. Most of the dresses are too flashy and the skirts are too short. YUCK.

Volca
08-11-2006, 03:28 PM
i went shopping for the first time earlier this week. congrats, we're in the same situation :p

Jasmine Ellis
08-11-2006, 06:20 PM
the frist time shopping for clothes I was very nervous but seeing only a few people in the shop I just walked in had a look if something cought my eye had a look of the size skirt then paid for it and walked out with bag in hand

sandra-leigh
08-12-2006, 02:59 AM
Why did you need to ask as opposed to looking in the Yellow Pages?

When I was looking in late 2005, there were only a small number of stores listed here under Wigs. Some of them were out of business, some of them would only deal with cancer patients, one of them had fairly fake-looking selections, one had a poor reputation. I went in to the last of the listed places, and things went well for the first 2 meetings... but then the (second) person I was dealing with went off on a rant about taxation.. he didn't even have his facts right either.

At that point I gave up for a couple of months, until I happened to notice some wigs in the local lingerie store that is virtual CD central here. They didn't have what I wanted but they recommended a place that turned out to be great to deal with -- a hair products store that doesn't advertise in the Wigs section. Since then I've found a number of other stores that also have wigs as one of their products, but would not advertise as such.

Hereabouts, the places that advertise in the Wigs section tend to have either costume wigs, or else be aimed at people with serious hair-loss (e.g., cancer treatment.) The fashion wig places don't tend to list themselves there.

noname
08-12-2006, 03:42 AM
I don't stress much when shopping. Although last time I was shopping for jeans had store employee looking at me giving me dirty looks. I just stared right back at her. The reason I never stress much when shopping is one answer, what are you going to do? I doubt any store would tell a shopper they can't spend money in their store, and I doubt a customer would say anything, well I guess they could, but that's all they can do.

jacky83
08-18-2006, 02:01 PM
I'm not in the wig business but I suspect that the bigger wig stores clientel is made up of a signifigant number of crossdressers. The biggest wig store in Chicago advertised that TVs were welcome. When I was at the shop there were as many CDs in there as GGs some enfemme.

Phyliss
08-18-2006, 04:28 PM
Funny that this subject should come up now. I happened to be at the local mall looking in K Mart for a plastic container for the fridge. While heading there I passed the Fashion Bug store and saw this:
http://fashionbug.charmingshoppes.com/Shopping/product.aspx?product_id=FP004287&nav=FP

I just knew the wife would love it, so I stopped in to buy it. While I was in there picking out her size (28-30) one of the young S.A.s who knows me from some of my other purchases walked over to me to say "Hi" and ask if I needed anything else.
"Well, as a matter of fact yes I do." I said and described what I was looking for. A pull over blouse / "T" shirt that doesn't scream "girly" but is kinda neutral. The wonderful young lady helped me find a pair of pull overs that I can use for layering as the weather gets cooler yet they don't give out any appearance of being too fem to wear.
The thing that struck me was the ease of talking to her and telling her what I wanted. So comfortable I was with her that after I left the store I had to return and show her the pair of boots I picked up at Payless, just about a 1/2 hour earlier.
This "girly shopping thing" isn't as difficult as I thought it was. Too easy in fact and I just know my wallet will be EMPTY real soon.

carlly
08-18-2006, 05:50 PM
I have to admire your bravery Cindynhose. I find it realy scarry shopping for womens clothes, even though ive done it a dozen times My heart still races, but I love the feeling afterwards when i get home and try my outfit on. I dont know weather I will ever be totally comftable doing it , but I know its worth it ,because of the feeling I get out of crossdressing . Keep on going girl hugs and kisses Carlly

dazzed
08-18-2006, 06:24 PM
Thanks to the internet I dont deal with stores for my girly things.

ColleenCD
08-18-2006, 10:22 PM
A few months back I mustered up the courage to visit a CD supportive clothier for a new wig. I tried to picture in my mind what I would say and do when I entered the store and would be asked "How may I help you?" When the time came, I looked her straight in the eye and gently replied, "I would like to get a new wig." She told me her name and we discussed styles and pricing. I tried on several wigs and became more comfortable with the process, probably due to her ease and acceptance of me.

Well, today I went back to the same store for make-up. The same lady assisted and advised. After about 30 minutes of various shades and instruction, I was ready to be pretty, BUT, I am ready to go back next week just to prove my newfound courage.

Colleen