PDA

View Full Version : Don't you just HATE the word 'drag'

Gemma Rhodes
08-13-2006, 04:41 PM
Hi Girls.

I really, really hate the word 'drag'.

For me it is so dismissive of the effort that goes into transforming yourself into a woman. The hair, the make-up, the accessories, the clothes, the lingerie. Its a short 4 letter word that does no justice to the time and effort needed to become my femme self.

Gemma xx

Tina Dixon
08-13-2006, 04:43 PM
Drag and drab, four letter words:mad:

Byllie
08-13-2006, 05:04 PM
From dictionary.com ...

adj.

Of, relating to, or being a person wearing clothing characteristic of the opposite sex: a drag performer; a drag show.

Doesn't seem to really describe us completely, does it?

celeste26
08-13-2006, 05:20 PM
Dressed
As
Girl

Dressed
As
Boy

They are acronyms not normal words. Words like these are just ways of organizing the world and in every sense we qualify.

Ellaine
08-13-2006, 06:01 PM
What's the problem? I'm sure drag artists spend enormous amounts of time getting their look, especially early on.
And it's the more acceptable face of crossdressing, because the artist is not percieved as a threat to audiences partnerships. Street drag, is not secretive and blending in, so again less furtive or suspicious.
The crossdresser can be percieved as a sexually competetive threat to both males and females.
It's just a label, and you're never going to get folks to understand all the intricasies.
If somebody really needs to understand, it's a good excuse to get them to buy you a drink to explain it over.

Hugs Ellaine

Karren H
08-13-2006, 06:08 PM
Never really bothered me....love drag racing!!! :D

Love Karren

tekla west
08-13-2006, 06:32 PM
The above is correct I think, its an old stage term for "enters dressed as a boy or dressed as girl.

Drag racing is also cool. But I always thought that the the theatre it originated in DRAG was about performance and shows, not the day to day stuff.

Rita Knight
08-13-2006, 07:14 PM
When going to a CD convention, I bring so much stuff, that I am "dragging drag around." LOL

Dragster
08-13-2006, 07:56 PM
I hope that doesn't mean that you hate my pseudonym Gemma!

Tony

Joyce1702
08-13-2006, 08:01 PM
The term doesn't offend me; there are much worse.

Gemma, your new avatar is awesome.

Joyce

Rachel Morley
08-13-2006, 09:30 PM
I'm not an expert in this, but I too can colaborate that DRAG = an acronym for "dressed as a girl". I heard it used to be written in the margin of the script of a play in Shakesphere's day. True?....I don't see why not?

Lisa Golightly
08-14-2006, 03:12 AM
Actually I quite like it. It seems more street and less trick cyclist to me.

swiss_susan
08-14-2006, 03:32 AM
While I would not really use it to describe myself, I dont particularly mind the word, and in some cases, i.e. drag queens/kings it can be a useful descriptive word.

Susan

eleventhdr
08-14-2006, 06:18 AM
A very old one now.

And as I have said so in past post.

Was oringinated by Sheakspear back 400 yeras ago.

And did pertain to mlae's who played the female part's back in those day's.

What Sheakspear did do was write in the margins of his plays that he was writting back then Drag which literally meant dresss as girl's because females were not allowed to play themselves at all back then they were not even allowed to be on stage at all

So the male's played female and it did work.

So thus drag did mean just this dresses as girls.

I i do suspect that even back then that some of those guys wanted to dress that way all of the time once they did realize just how the clothing really was.

What do me thinl\k's indeed Ya Verily!

Jay Suzy!

Karren H
08-14-2006, 06:26 AM
The above is correct I think, its an old stage term for "enters dressed as a boy or dressed as girl.

Drag racing is also cool. But I always thought that the the theatre it originated in DRAG was about performance and shows, not the day to day stuff.

Didn't know that, Tekla!! Interesting...

Love Karren

Charleen
08-14-2006, 06:53 AM
Yeah, it's a drag. When most people hear that today, two images come to their minds- a very over the top and exaggerated dresser, or a female impersonator on stage. I feel that both hurt us with the unwashed because that is the image that they hold when it comes to MtF. Personally, I don't mind either. A very dear friend of mine made an excellent living on stage doing drag, and he was the first that I came out to 30 years ago. On the other hand, I do miss the drag racing of my youth when you rung what you brung, the altereds, the wheel standers, the Willys and Anglias with the blowers sticking through the hoods. Like everything else, things change, some for the better, some for the worse. BTW, if ever in Florida, you gotta check out the Don Gartlis Museum in Gainesville. Love and xxxx, Lily