PDA

View Full Version : A little disturbing - do you agree with this?

sonalnarula
08-14-2006, 07:06 PM
Just read this on wiki.

"Classic psychoanalytic views of cross-dressing emphasized the role of taboo in the behavior. Only items that were proscribed to a gender would be appropriated, and therefore it is not the general association of an item with one sex or the other but the prohibitions against the item that give satisfaction to those with a fetish attachment to cross-dressing. According to this theory, as articles become acceptable for ordinary wear (e.g. a man's necktie on a woman, which passed from taboo to fashion in the 1970s) they will cease to be sought by cross-dressers."

I personally dont think that if men wearing skirts were to become the norm, I would lose interest in doing the same. I think, for me, it would be the culmination of what we are and what we like to do. I mean, everyday there's something about feminists complaining about the unequalities of men and women. Why, I then say, is society so hypocritical so as to not accept us when we dress in women's clothing. I really wish things were simple and I could go about my normal life dressed in things that I really love.

Sonal

tekla west
08-14-2006, 07:29 PM
Its not like Wiki is any sort of credible source about anything, as the Onion put it in a recent issue.

Wikipedia Celebrates 750 Years Of American Independence

NEW YORK—Wikipedia, the online, reader-edited encyclopedia, honored the 750th anniversary of American independence on July 25 with a special featured section on its main page Tuesday.

Calliope
08-14-2006, 07:47 PM
Hey, I've written several Wikipedia entries.

Log in - and type. As long as the grammar is OK and the topic isn't fad enough to attract rival authors, whoever plonks down the entry is an instant expert.

... like me (well, on the subject of the 101 Strings and Terry Knight & The Pack, anyway).

tekla west
08-14-2006, 07:59 PM
Its got potential, for sure on that, but often its in error, and letting others edit, well, some of the stuff in Wiki speaks for itself.

GG Vanya
08-14-2006, 08:06 PM
Just read this on wiki.

"Classic psychoanalytic views of cross-dressing emphasized the role of taboo in the behavior. Only items that were proscribed to a gender would be appropriated, and therefore it is not the general association of an item with one sex or the other but the prohibitions against the item that give satisfaction to those with a fetish attachment to cross-dressing. According to this theory, as articles become acceptable for ordinary wear (e.g. a man's necktie on a woman, which passed from taboo to fashion in the 1970s) they will cease to be sought by cross-dressers."

I personally dont think that if men wearing skirts were to become the norm, I would lose interest in doing the same. I think, for me, it would be the culmination of what we are and what we like to do. I mean, everyday there's something about feminists complaining about the unequalities of men and women. Why, I then say, is society so hypocritical so as to not accept us when we dress in women's clothing. I really wish things were simple and I could go about my normal life dressed in things that I really love.

Sonal

I think the operative words in that entry are "fetish attachment".

Tina Dixon
08-14-2006, 08:27 PM
OH they can say any thing they want, but if it feels good do it:p

DonnaT
08-14-2006, 09:24 PM
If it became the norm for guys to wear skirts, I can't think of any reason not to continue to enjoy it.

MAYBE a fetishist might not enjoy it when it's no longer taboo, but a transgendered CD? Doubtful.

sonalnarula
08-14-2006, 09:26 PM
Yeah I guess you guys are right. I also read this today which was very interesting. I cant say for sure how much of it is right or wrong but it does seem to be a rather informed and mature narrative.

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/cathytg/anima.htm

Calliope
08-14-2006, 09:30 PM
"Classic psychoanalytic views of cross-dressing emphasized the role of taboo [...]

Sounds like classic (ho hum) Freud (he was such a pill he disliked music).

[Turns up Peggy Lee.]

Bernice
08-14-2006, 09:58 PM
I'm certainly no psychoanalyst - don't even play one on TV - didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night - but...

If men in skirts and heels became the norm, then my first time in public wearing a skirt would be a lot less anxiety-ridden, and my heart would not be pounding for fear of dreadful consequences.

I think a lot of it for me is just the clothes I like. I don't seek or wear women's pants or shorts or boots, even if they are clearly intended only for women.

My opinion, together with $6.50+tax, will buy you a good cup of coffee. :2c:

Charleen
08-14-2006, 10:38 PM
I agree with with Tekla on this one. Wiki is about as reliable as a paper match under water from what I've seen. Then again there is the old saying- If it feels good do it! I'm doing it(CDing) and it feels good! LOve and xxxx, Lily

rosiegurl
08-15-2006, 12:02 AM
that would kinda be like saying because women can wear pants, there aren't and female crossdressers. only have to look in the F2M forum to see how wrong that is.

and about wiki, it has it's problems because of the way information is handled *grins* but a recent independant study on encyclopedias had it more accurate than encylopedia brittanica online, if I remember out of the test subjects picked, brittanica got 6 wrong, and wiki got 4 wrong.

DeniseNY
08-15-2006, 12:57 AM
If men began wearing wigs and breastforms and makeup and lipstick and dresses and heels, I would just continue doing the same thing as always, except it would then be in fashion.

noname
08-15-2006, 01:29 AM
Well I can say that's not true for me. I love color and style. I also like fresh new ideas, something I have never seen mens apparel do.

Lisa Golightly
08-15-2006, 01:51 AM
Homespun psychobabble.

Ellaine
08-15-2006, 02:23 AM
We have this desperate need to simplify everything, because we just don't have time to consider and discuss openly with our peers. Moreover we are too busy presenting an image that is acceptable to others, as best we can, so a lot of honesty is missing.
Any explanation is likely to cover part of the whole, but Jungs "anima" theory is certainly apt for most crossdressers in my view.

Crossdressers or not, we are each on our own path and have similar ability to imagine our future.
Simplify human behaviour? That's slavery.

sparks
08-15-2006, 03:06 AM
Yep! Very disturbing!

Kate Simmons
08-15-2006, 05:15 AM
It's human nature to try and put everything into a neat little package to classify. Makes it easier for some people. Unfortunately, it also makes it easier to stereotype things and people as if Algebra really worked in the Human condition. If people really think that they have someone figured out by a "label" they are sorely mistaken. Diversity makes the world go around. I'm a very spontaneous person, so I guess I'm not "human" from some people's standards and, really, neither are the rest of us. I enjoy people for who they are as individuals. Anyone who doesn't see that each of us is unique is missing out on a lot. Kay

eleventhdr
08-15-2006, 05:20 AM
Why d o we have to wait and wait for it to become wht is classified a s norm.

I say if and when we really do want it we should just take it the way women took it when they frist started towear our cloths and rthey still x\contu\nue to do so

Just last night i did see a real gg wearing a tie so what are we still waiting for hmmm>

Jay Suzy!

Helen MC
08-15-2006, 08:03 AM
Ah yes, this is like meeting an old friend, the "Forbidden Fruit" effect.

I can understand this as to the Fetishistic CD the fact that clothing is meant for girls and women makes all the difference. Take my own case. Male underpants these days, at least the "slip" style briefs which are quite popular and worn by many men and boys here in the UK, are virtually identical to women's panties in the key features, i.e. no fly in the front panel, double gusset (crotch), elastic round the leg openings and waist, and in many colours and patterns, not like in my teens in the 1960s when men only had plain white Y Fronts or Undershorts to wear. However, I would not wish to wear modern male underwear of that unisex slip style but still wear real WOMEN'S panties, made and sold for women not men. I have had to settle for wearing a kilt on occasions outdoors with panties beneath -schoolgirls plain white, navy bue or bottle green cotton knickers- but would really like to be able to wear a real pleated or A-Line skirt outdoors but would never pass and thus be a "bloke wearing a skirt" as far as onlookers were concerned.