PDA

View Full Version : Dress Codes

noname
08-15-2006, 12:39 PM
Ok, so I'm not working right now, I've been enjoying not getting all dressed up every day. Especially wearing sandals everyday. I then got to thinking about professional dress codes. I know many women everyday wear business suits with black sandals and open toed shoes. I then got to thinking, would it look wierd for a guy in slacks to wear that other than the fact people arn't used to seeing it. I then got to thinking, what would happen if one did do that at work. Naturally, you'd probably get talked to about it. But with everything being to PC and anti-discrimination, what would most likely occur if you pointed out that women could and brought to light discrimination.

But really, why do women dressed professional wearing open toed shoes work, but it hasn't for guys?

tekla west
08-15-2006, 12:50 PM
Most of the women I see on thier way to work are in expensive running/cross training shoes carring those other shoes in a bag. They would give them up in a heartbeat me thinks.

Karren H
08-15-2006, 01:05 PM
Most of the women I see on thier way to work are in expensive running/cross training shoes carring those other shoes in a bag. They would give them up in a heartbeat me thinks.

Yeah. What she said!! Hehe.

Plus most of the women here wear everything from pumps to sling back sandles to tennis shoes and everything inbetween. Nothing really standardized or required. But one thing is true, I do enjoy looking at all of them...well excepth the tennis shoes!!

Love Karren

DonnaT
08-15-2006, 02:46 PM
I've been enjoying not getting all dressed up every day.

I take it you mean you wear a suit and tie to work!

Sandles on men in a suit and tie just doesn't look good, IMHO.

In many cases, regular flat casual sandles on women at work don't look good or profession either, IMHO. And if an office has a dress code, it usually means no sandles for women either.

Dress sandles, with heels, however, do look good on women and are acceptable professional attire. If you want to wear such sandles to work, then ask your boss.

Dee 1062
08-15-2006, 03:35 PM
I'm not sure where you work, but here at my job, all where a work shoe or a running type of foot wear...safety is a big deal..No open shoes or shorts for anyone...

noname
08-15-2006, 09:37 PM
I stumbled across an article today and I can't remember if it was for a state or a city. But basically, employers can have different dress codes for different sexes. However, it is up to the employee to choose what dress code they are going to follow. Sounds like a decent balance.

Sandles on men in a suit and tie just doesn't look good, IMHO.

It might look a bit odd, but I'm not really sure why. Because of what we are used to seeing? Who knows.

Rachel Morley
08-15-2006, 09:50 PM
Our office dress code does allow sandals but not on the manufacturing shop floor. I've never seen a guy wearing sandals with dress pants not even in the offices. My personal opinion about guys wearing sandals is that it only looks good if they have small feet, they're feet are not hairy, and they have well manicured toenails.

Joanna0909a
08-15-2006, 11:02 PM
I think our dress code at work basically says nothing too revealing or too tight. I do not think it addresses shoes in offices at all. On the plant floor safty shoes and uniforms are required so that takes care of that.

As for girls in tennis shoes - I love seeing women in nylons with tennis shoes - the darker the nylons the better! I think that is a great combination and wear that sometimes myself!

Joanna

Kenix
08-16-2006, 03:44 PM
At the office the dress code is part of the image the company wants to show. Where I work is more casual but a relative of mine work in a place where men must wear ties and women cannot wear open toe shoes.

I am sure no one at work would object if I wear high heel sandals with my toenails painted. However I would ask myself do my cowokers accept me only because they have to do so legally and will it cost me when it's time for promotion?

Kimberly
08-16-2006, 03:46 PM
Fashion.

xx

Sharon_Rose
08-16-2006, 07:25 PM
What the other girls said is true. However, it depends upon how strongly you feel about it. I have worn women's shoes to work as well as slacks. They were not obvious but a woman might be able to tell. Never had a problem. Just acted normal. You never know until you try.