PDA

View Full Version : Dress sizes

linnie
08-19-2006, 01:50 AM
Went shopping for a couple of new dresses today, it is a case of look and pick, hoping the size is right. I am a size 10/12, but when i get home and try them on, one is a perfect fit, the other is to tight. Has anybody have the same problems and is their a good solution.

Would love your feedback.

:love: Linnie

GypsyKaren
08-19-2006, 02:41 AM
You really have to try them on because the sizes are all over the map as far as the manufacturers go. There really are no standards, so it's "anything goes". I usually wear an 11 or 12 in jeans, but I've got some 9's, and in some Levis I'm a 6, they're all different.

Karen

Kate Simmons
08-19-2006, 03:51 AM
Like Karen says, it depends on the manufacturer and the cut. This was one of the first things I learned from my wife years ago. Ericka

Kimberly
08-19-2006, 04:13 AM
Yeah - I have this really rubbish rule at the moment, which is never, under any circumstances try anything on. Due to shopping so close to home, and knowing a lot of people.

This will hopefully change when I move, but I know the predicament you're in! A top is a little too tight around the chest, I bought... and the other day I got a size 18 by mistake!! It makes a nice baggy going out top, though. I can still use it ;)

Joy Carter
08-19-2006, 05:40 AM
I buy on line so I buy a couple of sizes of the same thing then return what don't fit. It cost to return things but it also saves time.:D

Jasmine Ellis
08-19-2006, 06:12 AM
Once you have found a shop that a skirt fits for you then use that shop all the time. This is what I do and haven't had any problems

Trish
08-19-2006, 06:34 AM
It depends on the manufacturer and the cut. I wear a size 8 - 10 - 12 skirt. There seems to be no rime nor reason to the way things are sized.

EricaCD
08-19-2006, 09:07 AM
As the girls noted, you really cannot go by sizes. If you buy a lot of clothes you will begin to get a sense of your sizing by designer (though sometimes even the same designer will have inconsistent sizes). Also, even if something fits properly there's no assurance it will suit you. So here are a few approaches:

1. Suck it up and try the clothes on at the store.

2. Shop at stores with liberal return policies and do not be shy about returning things.

3. Buy lots of less expensive dresses on eBay until you start getting a better idea as to sizing. If every dollar counts, re-sell the dresses that don't fit.

4. Find a seamstress/tailor to make alterations. Craigslist is a great place to look: lots of tailors advertise there and you can just email to ensure that they are ok with CDs. It is difficult to overstate the positive effect that a decent seamstress can make in your wardrobe!

good luck! Erica

Bev06 GG
08-19-2006, 09:11 AM
Absolutely Linnie,
I can be anything from a size 8 to a size 12 in jeans depending on which shop I go into.. Of course I always tell everyone Im a size 8, well you would wouldn't you. Womens sizes are absolutely naff and cannot be taken as gospel.
BEVxxxx

KateLongman27
08-19-2006, 09:49 AM
I completely agree with you and its even worse for me as I'm just starting out and as such have come across, different sizes from different manufacturers gives such a broad spectrum. And it's even doubly so when I have to return an item and give an excuse for why it's not suitable.

It's a minefield. I do do my shopping for my alter ego "Kate Longman", the best solution I find is to try and find a manufacturer which gives a dress size in a range for example 16-20. Therefore if you're in that range the dress should fit but findings these dresses is a problem, the alternative I'm thinking of is just finding one manufacture and sticking with them until I grow confidence for shopping for clothes.

Hope this helps!

Tracy_Victoria
08-19-2006, 10:13 AM
Yep, sizing (specially on female clothing) can be all over the place, being a larger girl, some ranges of clothes can vary by up to six inches in my size, extreamly frustrating if you see something you really like.

Two tips that work for me. know your measurements a must on ebay, I always check the bust and hip sizes now.

Buy from makers that size correctly to what you feel is right for you, in my case I know "Rogers" clothing (sold on ebay again) items are always the same size if you buy a top a dress or a skirt, ie through there range, therefore your never disapointed, as you know what your order is going to fit!

:2c:

sandra-leigh
08-19-2006, 05:14 PM
It depends on the manufacturer and the cut. I wear a size 8 - 10 - 12 skirt. There seems to be no rime nor reason to the way things are sized.

I have read (and been told by a shop owner) that a lot of manufacturers "oversize", particularily in the larger sizes, so as to make size-conscious women feel better about the size they are buying. Would you rather be a size 14 or a size 18? And yet the two might have exactly the same measurements.

A tip, something that took me by surprise: clothes that are sized as "small" and those sized as "medium" will usually be the same length, or the medium just barely longer. "large" will often be longer if you compare the sizes side by side, but the actual length difference might only be 1/4" or 1/2". XL or 1X might only be as long as "large". 2X will usually be a bit longer, but I have found more than one lines where "medium" was the right fit for everything except torso length, but it wasn't until 3X that the torso length changed significantly. 2X and 3X look noticably too big on me for most styles (but some styles are meant to be long and flowing.)

So, if you happen to have a shape like mine, you might end concentrating a lot of your effort on finding tops that are long enough not to ride up exposing a bit of middle-aged tummy. Unfortunately that happens even with tops that at first seem long enough. If it doesn't drop a couple of inches below your belt line, it will probably ride up when you do not want it to. :(

I tried on a nice looking understated silk blouse a few days ago. The arms could have been a little looser, but nothing serious that way. Unfortunately, it only went down to my belly-button when I was wearning my forms! (Which leads to another tip: your forms will make a difference as to whether things ride up or not!)

vbcdgrl
08-19-2006, 07:15 PM
The sizing is just a ROUGH guide. That's why they have try on stalls. You could return the item that doesn't fit, get the next size up or your money back.
I do most of my shopping on line, and have returned several items that don't fit. A few items were inexpensive, not worth returning, to the Salvation Army they go.
Many of the clothes have a little spandex(3-4%) in the fabric. Also, knit fabrics have a little stretch. Sometimes, that's all I need for a perfect fit.

Vikki

Karren H
08-19-2006, 10:38 PM
Yeah....male or female, sizes vary....so try them on in the store and save yourself some hastle..

Love Karren

barbarajeanne
08-19-2006, 10:44 PM
I tend to shop at the same womens store and it gets me two advantages: first generally I can count on the sizes and secondly I know the store clerks and its easy to try everything on and when it doesn't work out I can always bring it back anyway....

marcielegs
09-03-2006, 07:32 PM
Thanks for the tips girls. I've been mostly wearing my wifes dresses which are too small in the chest but fit my butt really nice. I just can't zip them up in the back.

angelfire
09-03-2006, 08:11 PM
I have the same problems with male clothes. I am big, and I am a size 38 with some brands, but others I am a 40. Some of them are even the same brand. Its really pointless to have sizes if they aren't consistant.

PaulaMea
09-03-2006, 08:35 PM
I've been sticking to dresses with a lot of stretchy fabrics. Spandex, lycra, etc...
I never know which size I'll be
Thanks for the tips all
Paula (new to the forum)

Thanks for the tips girls. I've been mostly wearing my wifes dresses which are too small in the chest but fit my butt really nice. I just can't zip them up in the back.

Tessa Wire
09-03-2006, 08:38 PM
Everyone is correct, as to the womans sizes being different, and even I had a problem at first. However, I have made it a poing to find a shop where I feel comfertible, and have talked with the manger, and I always try before I buy.
Besides most of the women I have come accross at these stors, are most willing to help.
I hope this helps you. :hugs:

Jodi
09-03-2006, 08:39 PM
Most of us have a body build that does not allow for good fit of dresses without alteration. For me, I'm a size 8 on the bottom and a 14 on the top. This translates to--if I buy a dress to fit the bottom (size 8), the top will be way too small. If I buy to fit the top (size 14), the bottom will be way too big. I solve this by buying coordinating skirts and tops. This way, you can buy each piece to fit that part of your body. Occasionally, I find a dress that will fit me right. I try on in every store before buying. I mostly shop in drab. It is much easier than you think to try on in a regular store. I do it all the time and have done it for years. With skirts, you might be able to get away without trying on first, but pants, jeans, and dresses must be tried on to ensure a great fit. Sizing is all over the map for women's clothing.

Jodi

Denise01
09-03-2006, 09:06 PM
I have found that sizes for both Skirts and dresses are all over, depending on the manufacturer, the cut and also type of material.
Normally i take an 18 W, but i do have one denim skirt size 14 that fits great, and another one 16 from the same store and manufacturer.
When it comes to skirts that have elastic waists and a little stretchy material, 16 fits well, however with the heavier material i also have a couple of 20

I live a bit of a distance from the stores, so i now have taken the position, if i can't try it on, I don't buy it.

Works for me, and i have never been refused to try on a skirt or dress even in drab. As a matter of fact, the last time i was in the one store i go to, i was in drab, looking at a dress, and the sales associate, out of the blue asked, would you like to try it on.

Denise

ArleneRaquel
09-03-2006, 09:41 PM
Denise 01---- Where is that wonderful sales associate ? I wonder if she would do the same if you were enfemme ? I go everywhere (just about ) enfemme ! Katrina sends her :love:

eleyna
09-03-2006, 09:46 PM
(Many) Women's clothing vendors and retailers make their sizes deliberately unreliable; it encourages girls to try them on, which is a hassle, so it encourages a girl to pick up a variety of different things to try on, a few different sizes, etc, so that they go into the changing room with a little pile of 'hopefuls'. It turns a little mental cog when an item fits that says you "found" something, which takes a little edge off the extra price. It also all adds up to more time in the store, more opportunity to sell to you.

Debbie GG
09-03-2006, 09:55 PM
As everyone has said, sizes are all over the map. Another trick you could try is to take a tape measure with you. That way if you know a few key measurements you can do better at finding things that fit. Bernice and I always take a tape measure if we are shopping at a thrift store - and sometimes even in other stores. No one ever says anything and if they are giving us looks they're wasting their time since neither of us has noticed.

Debbie GG

michelleliz
09-03-2006, 09:57 PM
I go as michelle and try them on so I get the right size.

Michelleliz