PDA

View Full Version : A Nice Experience

Joanie
08-19-2006, 11:06 AM
Home, dressed for the first time since May as our son has been home from college, he went back last week and now my wife is out of town for the weekend, leaving me as "Woman of the House." (she knows, just doesn't want to see me like this!)

Anyway, a few weeks back, I called a Merle Norman Cosmetics Salon a considerable distance from home, just to chat with the owner, see how she is doing as she is 72 years old. She was the very first woman (other than my wife) that I came out to, showing up near closing on a day in June of 2005; her shop was devoid of customers, I dressed in drab as I was in her city on business and only do drab (UGH!) in public. She helped me for over an hour, gave me confidence, and helped me feel at ease. I made a considerable purchase of about everything under the sun in makeup.

Anyway, I kept calling for her recently but her young salon employee kept telling me to call back tomorow, not saying why. Finally, four days later on Saturday, Anne was there. Turned out she had contracted cancer! She sounded really bad off, said her husband had driven her to her business so she could talk with me, find out what I wanted. I felt terrible! I wasn't calling to make an appointment, was only going to tell her that I might be by later this year, perhaps the fall.

I felt soooooo bad about this, I sent her a get well card with a note thanking her for not making me feel like someone with leprosy when I showed up for makeup help that very first time! I enclosed a giftcard for Eckerds, thinking she could find something there she might need.

Today, two weeks later, I called back to see if the card had indeed arrived as you neeeveeer know with the U.S. Mail. Her assistant, who on previous occasions had been somewhat cold and reserved over the phone, couldn't have been nicer. Anne thanked me profusely, wanted to send me a gift and said to call anytime. I asked her some questions about eye makeup, she said she was buying hoisery with the gift card I sent and it was all very chatty and warm. She sounded so much better. What was really interesting was how nice her assistant was in talking to me, that card had broken down a wall with her and she talked to me like a fellow female! Anyway, I hope I can get by there to see them both this fall!

Just wanted to share this with those who might be bashful about going for makeovers or, if they are treated nicely by female employees, cynically view it as "those women are that way because they want my $$$!" Clearly, the acceptance I have from those two women goes way beyond money, I was very touched. Thanks for listening as I can't really pass this on to my wife when she gets home tomorrow as she doesn't like the details of my femme side!

Kimberly
08-19-2006, 11:17 AM
You've made an excellent connection there, Joanie. Let's hope she gets better soon. :)

Joanie
08-19-2006, 12:11 PM
Thanks, her voice sounded 100% better today than a few weeks ago. A person's voice can certainly reveal much about their overall health.

Joy Carter
08-19-2006, 12:19 PM
Thanks Joanie you have made a couple of women see that we are people with feelings and compasion for others. Thanks for the thread.:hugs:

Shelly Preston
08-19-2006, 12:26 PM
Pass on all our best wishes to that wonderful lady

Joanie
08-19-2006, 03:00 PM
Thanks, Shelly, and others, I will pass on your kind wishes to her.

Jasmine Ellis
08-19-2006, 03:57 PM
best wishes to her

Joanie
08-19-2006, 07:23 PM
Thanks, Jasmine, your pic looks great!!! Can't put mine up on here, I don't want to craash the site.

Adrienne Heels
08-19-2006, 08:06 PM
Joanie, that is a wonderful story!

Jodi
08-19-2006, 08:11 PM
Joanie, I have the same connection with the owner of the Merle Norman Boutique. I got my makeover done about 6 years ago. She couldn't have been nicer. I have returned many times for more makeup and advice.

Jodi

Joanie
08-19-2006, 08:27 PM
Joanie, that is a wonderful story!

Thanks, Karyn, have enjoyed our PM exchange recently. STILL no Nine West Freda pumps but they will get here eventually!

Joanie
08-19-2006, 08:28 PM
Joanie, I have the same connection with the owner of the Merle Norman Boutique. I got my makeover done about 6 years ago. She couldn't have been nicer. I have returned many times for more makeup and advice.

Jodi

That's great, Jodi, you two sound like you are close friends after six years of being her customer.