PDA

View Full Version : On being polite and it's rewards

Phyliss
08-21-2006, 08:52 PM
Had a rather fun day today. Went to Macy's for a makeover at the Clinique counter. Wonderful gal named Erika there.
Erika knows all about me and has no problems with my fun.
While sitting in the chair waitng for her a woman at the Este Lauder counter was trying some lipstick and turned to her husband to ask his opinion. He gave one of those shrugs that says "you look fine, now can we go check out the tool counter at Sears." I was watching her, ( a decent looking lady of about late 50's or early 60"s) She noted my watching her and asked what I thought of the color. Why, I don't know. I said that considering the color of her hair and skin tone, that she had made a good choice, plus the fact that the new fall colors were coming out and the nice darker tone she had chosen would work well. (I didn't have a clue what I was saying but it "sounded nice") She thought for a minute and said "Thank you very much, you have a wonderful sense of style and beauty" I thanked her for the compliment.
About this time Erika had gotten her supplies ready and began applying the foundation. I don't think the lady I had spoken to had realized why I was sitting in the makeup chair. She kinda did a double take but I guess she remembered what she had said to me and put 2 and 2 together. After she paid for her cosmetics she passed by me and commented that I looked lovely, Without a second of hesitation I thanked her and said that she should come back in half an hour when I had my wig on to see how good I could look. Erika laughed so hard the mascara brush slipped and nearly poked out my eye.
I've posted the pictures I had her take in the photo section listed under " I don't know which is worse"
As Erika was finishing up a mother and her daughter showed up for their make over appointment. For about a tenth of a second I had that scared feeling of "I shouldn't be here" but as I've learned from everybody here, I have just as much a right as anybody else to spend my money where I want and how I want, plus I wasn't breaking any law.
(Thanks to everyone for teaching me that lesson and giving me the confidence to do this.)
They didn't say a word, in fact, the daughter ,who I found out from our subsequent conversation was getting married in a month, thought that I looked rather good with the makeup on. (I forgive her, she's blonde)
After I cleaned off the makeup (a sad chore to be sure) I thanked Erika for her services, (Dropped $85 worth of goodies maybe she should thank me for her wages) and I turned to the young lady and thanked her. She gave me a puzzeled look and said "But, I didn't do anything"
I replied that was the exact point of why I was thanking her. She didn't laugh, point, giggle or guffaw. Nor did she "freakout". I mentioned that I truly appreciated her politeness and manners and that her mother should be proud of her.

Charleen
08-21-2006, 09:03 PM
Good for you all around! :clap: Love and xxxx, Lily

Joanie
08-21-2006, 09:14 PM
Excellent! That was a wonderful thing you told the daughter and that probably gave her much food for thought.

Joy Carter
08-22-2006, 04:41 AM
Good gurl Philiss you have shown another that we are people. This is something we need to practice because if we are to be accepted then we need to show our human side.:happy: