PDA

View Full Version : crossdressing and neophilia ?

sandra-leigh
08-24-2006, 09:10 AM
September 2006 Harper's magazine, "Findings":

People whose bodies produce a specific cellular emzyme know nas monoamine oxidase A are more likely to be neophiliacs, a condition that manifests itself as an incessant need for newness.

Hmmm... is that why we shop so much? :)

Caitlintgsd
08-24-2006, 09:34 AM
Yes. New clothes. Please don't get between my parking space and the Mall entrance. Thank You!

Breanne
08-24-2006, 10:37 AM
"People whose bodies produce a specific cellular emzyme know nas monoamine oxidase A are more likely to be neophiliacs, a condition that manifests itself as an incessant need for newness."

How does this thing spread? Send me a vial!

Lisa Golightly
08-24-2006, 11:38 AM
I like new shoes, but things like coats, nighties and bras I tend to use till they disintergrate... Must have a faulty valve somewhere.

Marla S
08-24-2006, 12:59 PM
I get heavy doubts if Harpers uses words like "monoamine oxidase A".
I think they are just happy that they know how to spell it (oh, probably used a spell checker).
They should stick to their own business.

Emily1
08-24-2006, 01:26 PM
Necrophilia ?? Blimey - I know we're supposed to be enlightened and all but.. that takes the biscuit..:devil:

sandra-leigh
08-24-2006, 06:05 PM
I get heavy doubts if Harpers uses words like "monoamine oxidase A".

The "Findings" section of Harpers is someone's very condensed summary of recent scientific reports.

Checking around, I see that the original research was at Yamagata University School of Medicine in Japan, the article appeared in Psychatric Genetics 2006 Apr;16(2):55-8, the article title was "Monoamine oxidase A gene promoter polymorphism affects novelty seeking and reward dependence in healthy study participants."; the authors were Shiraishi H, Suzuki A, Fukasawa T, Aoshima T, Ujiie Y, Ishii G, Otani K.

NighttimeGirl
08-24-2006, 06:19 PM
neophiliacs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

omg I thought you was saying we like to sleep with the dead :heehee:

I always feel the need for newness in my life, I am a gemini, I dont beleive in all that stars crap but the dual personality thing strikes true wih me and many other Geminis i met,
someone else has been paid thousands again to come up with these study results again no doubt! why are people always trying to get inside others heads are they really that fed up with life.

great post though, gets you thinking, wish they would pay me for it though, could do a whole lot more thinkin that way.

n1 :hugs:

Marla S
08-24-2006, 06:36 PM
The "Findings" section of Harpers is someone's very condensed summary of recent scientific reports.

Checking around, I see that the original research was at Yamagata University School of Medicine in Japan, the article appeared in Psychatric Genetics 2006 Apr;16(2):55-8, the article title was "Monoamine oxidase A gene promoter polymorphism affects novelty seeking and reward dependence in healthy study participants."; the authors were Shiraishi H, Suzuki A, Fukasawa T, Aoshima T, Ujiie Y, Ishii G, Otani K.

Thanks for the reference. That's something.
Intersting, but I am still sceptical, though. My experiences as a scientist (ex-scientist now) tell me that one has to be very careful with the interpretation of scientific results if one tries to draw conclusions in comparison with statistical results.
The title of the paper "... affects ..." (a weak term) and its interpretation "... more likely ..." (even weaker) would be translated: They found something, but are not sure what.
Well, scientists need money too :heehee:

Teresa Amina
08-24-2006, 06:45 PM
Neophilism sounds like a Corporate project to get people to buy more stuff just because it's new. Probably a big secret lab somewhere putting something into the drinking water...:D

sandra-leigh
08-25-2006, 10:22 AM
I always feel the need for newness in my life, I am a gemini, I dont beleive in all that stars crap but the dual personality thing strikes true wih me and many other Geminis i met,

As a non-practicing Gemini, I can't help wondering whether anyone has looked through the birthday calendar to determine whether there is a correlation between birthdate and crossdressing?