PDA

View Full Version : In the Grocery Store

jessikasummerfox
08-26-2006, 05:44 PM
Yesterday, after a long boring day a work, I had to buy some groceries. I don't dress at work (at least not yet), so I was in my drab clothes. Since this was about 5:00 pm, the store was literally packed with other shoppers hurrying to buy something for their evening meal. While I was waiting in the checkout line, a young child yelled behind me, "that's a GIRL!" Another, slightly older, child shouted back, "no! that's a boy, stupid."

Holy Cr*p! I thought to myself, I just got clocked by a couple of kids. What am I going to do? Is the argument of these two children going to cause a scene and OUT me right in front of fifty people? I always thought about going out dressed some day, but OMG, not like this--not right now.

My heart started beating again once I figured out that the first child--the initial exclaimer--was talking about one of the magazines in the checkout rack. The whole scenario became humorous because the child's primary reasoning why the person on the magazine was girl was because he, or she, was wearing a "headband." And, of course, "only girls" wear headbands. (If only it were that simple, right?) I didn't get a chance to see the magazine they were talking about.

I had just assumed they were talking about me because I had spent the day previous dressed to the nines, so after the boring day at work, and the boring wait in the grocery line, my mind was preoccupied with the pleasant thoughts about dressing. I am taking the whole experience as an important lesson about not making assumptions. But at least, with the adrenaline rush I received from the shock, I got my aerobic exercise for the day!

Kate Simmons
08-26-2006, 05:51 PM
Yesterday, after a long boring day a work, I had to buy some groceries. I don't dress at work (at least not yet), so I was in my drab clothes. Since this was about 5:00 pm, the store was literally packed with other shoppers hurrying to buy something for their evening meal. While I was waiting in the checkout line, a young child yelled behind me, "that's a GIRL!" Another, slightly older, child shouted back, "no! that's a boy, stupid."

Holy Cr*p! I thought to myself, I just got clocked by a couple of kids. What am I going to do? Is the argument of these two children going to cause a scene and OUT me right in front of fifty people? I always thought about going out dressed some day, but OMG, not like this--not right now.

My heart started beating again once I figured out that the first child--the initial exclaimer--was talking about one of the magazines in the checkout rack. The whole scenario became humorous because the child's primary reasoning why the person on the magazine was girl was because he, or she, was wearing a "headband." And, of course, "only girls" wear headbands. (If only it were that simple, right?) I didn't get a chance to see the magazine they were talking about.

I had just assumed they were talking about me because I had spent the day previous dressed to the nines, so after the boring day at work, and the boring wait in the grocery line, my mind was preoccupied with the pleasant thoughts about dressing. I am taking the whole experience as an important lesson about not making assumptions. But at least, with the adrenaline rush I received from the shock, I got my aerobic exercise for the day!Hey Jessika, If everyone else was like these kids, we'd all have it made. Because, as we all know , ONLY GIRLS wear dresses, have long hair, wear makeup and perfume. Would work for me anyway as Hunter used to say. Ericka Kay

Jodi Lynn
08-26-2006, 06:17 PM
Hey Jessika, If everyone else was like these kids, we'd all have it made. Because, as we all know , ONLY GIRLS wear dresses, have long hair, wear makeup and perfume. Would work for me anyway as Hunter used to say. Ericka Kay

I agree Ericka, if it was only that easy. :hugs: